July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Neff

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Neff » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Since we are all equally fucked, we are all going to be equally fine.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Neff wrote:Since we are all equally fucked, we are all going to be equally fine.

You know there is always some people out there that will fuck it up for the rest of us.

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:20 am

lawrythelawyer wrote:
Devlin wrote:In your estimation, how prepared were you for the Texas essays going in? Did you know 100% of the law, 50%, 25%?

^ Yes. Would LOVE to know this from anyone who passed last year...

I probably knew 75-80% of the law on Texas Essays. Try to focus on what's most likely to be tested and read lots of old exam questions. You'll see that they tend to ask similar questions every year.

logdog

Postby logdog » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 am

YYZ wrote:
lawrythelawyer wrote:
Devlin wrote:In your estimation, how prepared were you for the Texas essays going in? Did you know 100% of the law, 50%, 25%?

^ Yes. Would LOVE to know this from anyone who passed last year...

I probably knew 75-80% of the law on Texas Essays. Try to focus on what's most likely to be tested and read lots of old exam questions. You'll see that they tend to ask similar questions every year.

It's hard to assign a percentage, but I'd say that there were many subjects that I wasn't worried about at all (80% at least). Then there were a few that I wasn't nearly as confident about, although those were the "less important" subjects that are tested less frequently. It helped me to come to terms with not ever being able to know 100% and trusting the advice I was given about knowing enough.

I was more worried about the MBE. My practice tests were not where I wanted them to be the week before the test, and I felt like I was making my best guess on a lot of the questions on test day.

Of the people who failed (that I know of), I wasn't surprised. Everyone who put in the work over the summer passed.

tianziwansui

Postby tianziwansui » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:29 am

has anyone heard any suggestion as to whether to print or write in cursive for the Procedure and Evidence portion?

jwe-houston

Postby jwe-houston » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:07 pm

My procrastination is productive. In avoiding *another* timed essay or MBE question, I decided to compute my odds of passing, so I came up with an excel spreadsheet. I offer it w/o warranty, as-is. Adds a 15 point "Barbri bump" from performance on their quizzes but does not otherwise make any adjustments for distributions. Just converts from the X scale to 200 point scale, doubles or halves as appropriate. So if you hit median, this will probably be close. It also shows the impact of doing a "little better" or "little worse" in certain parts. Good luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w99w6dxe37bh0 ... .xlsx?dl=0

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:26 pm

jwe-houston wrote:My procrastination is productive. In avoiding *another* timed essay or MBE question, I decided to compute my odds of passing, so I came up with an excel spreadsheet. I offer it w/o warranty, as-is. Adds a 15 point "Barbri bump" from performance on their quizzes but does not otherwise make any adjustments for distributions. Just converts from the X scale to 200 point scale, doubles or halves as appropriate. So if you hit median, this will probably be close. It also shows the impact of doing a "little better" or "little worse" in certain parts. Good luck!

I love this, but isn't the scaling a little bit off? Particularly for the MPT? It has a 3 receiving a scaled score of 99, but I think it's almost impossible for someone to get that low on the scaled scores. My understanding is that everything ends up getting distributed along the MBE scale, so it should all look something like the graph on this page:https://www.ncbex.org/publications/statistics/mbe-statistics/

99.6% of people received a score of 100 or higher, and if 3 is around average on the MPT, that should translate to somewhere around 140 or 145 for the scaled score.

jwe-houston

Postby jwe-houston » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
jwe-houston wrote:My procrastination is productive. In avoiding *another* timed essay or MBE question, I decided to compute my odds of passing, so I came up with an excel spreadsheet. I offer it w/o warranty, as-is. Adds a 15 point "Barbri bump" from performance on their quizzes but does not otherwise make any adjustments for distributions. Just converts from the X scale to 200 point scale, doubles or halves as appropriate. So if you hit median, this will probably be close. It also shows the impact of doing a "little better" or "little worse" in certain parts. Good luck!

I love this, but isn't the scaling a little bit off? Particularly for the MPT? It has a 3 receiving a scaled score of 99, but I think it's almost impossible for someone to get that low on the scaled scores. My understanding is that everything ends up getting distributed along the MBE scale, so it should all look something like the graph on this page:https://www.ncbex.org/publications/statistics/mbe-statistics/

99.6% of people received a score of 100 or higher, and if 3 is around average on the MPT, that should translate to somewhere around 140 or 145 for the scaled score.

Agree. That was the hardest to compound. The raw score is from 0 - 6 and scales to a 200 point distribution. Even if they scale a 0 raw to some positive number, each raw point is worth about 28.5 scale points. (That is a blunt instrument.) B/c of the simple conversion formula, if you want to put fractional points, it will convert that too (e.g., 3.5, 4.25, etc.). Spreadsheet doesn't count the 0 even though excel has a function that will. For 5% of total bar, I didn't spend a whole lot of time on that.

Edit: Thought a bit more explanation on that "blunt instrument" comment was in order.
1 standard deviation on the MBE is about 15 scale points. The distribution on the MPT puts 1 raw point = about 28-33 scale points (depending on if you give scale points for a 0). That means 1 raw point = about 2 standard deviations on the scale score (or going from 50% of the population to 0.00015% on a 2-tail distribution). A minor change on one equates to massive change in the other. => blunt instrument
Last edited by jwe-houston on Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXLawHopeful15

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Wish I had found this board sooner! Unfortunately, I work full time so I was only able to start taking time off to study right after July 4th. As such, the BARBRI schedule/assignments went out the window weeks ago. I am hoping that reviewing all the past essays and taking many, many, many MBE questions will do the trick. Is anyone else taking this approach?

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:55 pm

TXLawHopeful15 wrote:Wish I had found this board sooner! Unfortunately, I work full time so I was only able to start taking time off to study right after July 4th. As such, the BARBRI schedule/assignments went out the window weeks ago. I am hoping that reviewing all the past essays and taking many, many, many MBE questions will do the trick. Is anyone else taking this approach?

I've been working full time all summer too (and actually all during law school as well :| ). Just keep doing essay after essay. A lot of people say to just read them and make sure you pick out the issues, but for me if I don't actually write out the essay, I feel like I don't retain the information. For the past 2 weeks I have done 35-50 MBE questions per day and focused on 2 essay subjects a day. Now that we're a week out I've been doing 1 mixed MBE practice set a day and then focusing on my weak essay subjects (commercial paper & property!! ugh).

srave14

Postby srave14 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 pm

TXLawHopeful15 wrote:Wish I had found this board sooner! Unfortunately, I work full time so I was only able to start taking time off to study right after July 4th. As such, the BARBRI schedule/assignments went out the window weeks ago. I am hoping that reviewing all the past essays and taking many, many, many MBE questions will do the trick. Is anyone else taking this approach?

I'm in the same boat. I didn't really study in the month of June. I watched the videos and filled in the handouts, but not much else aside from some MBE questions here and there. Starting on July 5, I started seriously putting in my 40-50 hours a week. I've done over 1,200 MBE questions so far and I've been focusing on memorizing the law for the essays. I'll put in a bit of review for the old essay exams if I can.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:43 pm

I've been doing old essays and reviewing notes and still feel woefully unprepared for most of the essay topics. There are just so many details that I can't seem to remember. I don't feel like I can answer more than 50% of the essays competently, so I'm incredibly jealous of you guys with 75-80% confidence.

TXLawHopeful15

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:44 pm

@srave: thats awesome you found the time for the lectures; and I'm glad to hear someone else is doing something similar.

@ladylawer: Working full time and balancing law school/bar prep is rough! I had to do the same thing, so my hat is off to you. I have heard the same thing as well, regarding the essays, but don't have enough time to write them out. So I made a list of paragraphs to memorize, which cover most of the issues that I saw looking over the past five years of essays. I am hoping to get lucky and see the same type of problems and can remember what to type!

TXLawHopeful15

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:45 pm

envisciguy wrote:I've been doing old essays and reviewing notes and still feel woefully unprepared for most of the essay topics. There are just so many details that I can't seem to remember. I don't feel like I can answer more than 50% of the essays competently, so I'm incredibly jealous of you guys with 75-80% confidence.

I am in the exact same boat! MAYBE 40% percent confident...and that may be because I am not scared enough?

TXLawHopeful15

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Devlin wrote:
Neff wrote:Since we are all equally fucked, we are all going to be equally fine.

You know there is always some people out there that will fuck it up for the rest of us.

NO DOUBT

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm working full-time too. Trying to juggle work, family obligations, and bar review, it has been a real challenge to get in even 3 hours of studying per day. I also came down with pneumonia in the middle of July, and that certainly didn't help.

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Wait... Is that 15 out of 50 (30%) on the Crim Pro essay section?

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I think he meant it as 15 out of the 20 questions. For the P & E sections each question is actually graded on a scale of 0 to 5 and then added up for a maximum score of 100. The sections are then turned into their scaled scores by adding the civ pro and crim pro raw scores together and then ranking everyones raw scores and converting them over to the exact same distribution as the MBE on the 0 to 200 scale.

TXLawHopeful15

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:20 pm

texlaw wrote:I'm working full-time too. Trying to juggle work, family obligations, and bar review, it has been a real challenge to get in even 3 hours of studying per day. I also came down with pneumonia in the middle of July, and that certainly didn't help.

Hang in there!!! Im hoping we are all getting worked up over nothing, and will hit that 675 mark just fine....

jwe-houston

Postby jwe-houston » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:12 pm

texlaw wrote:

Wait... Is that 15 out of 50 (30%) on the Crim Pro essay section?

Barbri has a "simulated" 200 question MBE 1st week of July. The after-action report consoles you by saying Barbri students usually do 15-20 points higher on the real deal than on practice simulation. If you scored 120 on the practice, that translates to 135-140 on the real deal b/c the questions will be easier. Hence, Barbri "bump".

Nothing to do w/ the Crim pro (P-E? no essay section in TX).

americanphaoah

Postby americanphaoah » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 pm

time isn't exactly on your side anymore, but, if time allows i suggest doing the following in addition to whatever other preparation you're doing (hopefully this stuff is already in your preparation) [note: i took BARBRI]:

read through, and memorize the sample answers to, the last ten or so administrations of the civ & crim P&E exams. once you get settled into your hotel room on monday, bear down and run through as many of them as you can again before bed.

as for the MPT, do one more timed one...just so you're keenly aware of the time crunch, and then skim through all the practice MPT answers to ensure primarily one thing: familiarity with the answer formats for which the examiners are looking. i wanted to ensure that i wasted no time on game day thinking about formatting decisions. know how to format a memo, a brief, re-drafting contract/arbitration clauses, or (and pray for one of these) a demand letter or client letter. sounds stupid and redundant, perhaps, but assists with peace of mind.

as for last-minute MBE prep (as in, the tuesday afternoon before), my choice was to go over, with a very fine-toothed comb, all 300 questions that were dissected in the MBE midterm and MBE final exam, along with a speed review of flash cards/short outlines on BLL (if you used them), and re-listened to GUZMAN'S invaluable mini-reviews and various "lists of X"/"almost always wrong answers" that he gave in the simulated MBE analysis videos (you know these if you watched his videos [did he still do any this time around?] before bed. but, lol, know that there will be at least one or two questions on the actual MBE where the "almost always wrong answer" is the correct one.

as for the essays, at least read through the questions, think critically for about two minutes as to what you'd write, and then read the sample answers to every essay question asked -- on every topic -- since about 2007/2008, and even farther back if you have time. by doing this, i felt somewhat comfortable going into the exam that a sizable chunk of the material actually tested on essay day would re-appear in some form or fashion, so i wanted at least exposure to that material. i think it would be foolish not to have at least read through all of those essays and sample answers.

you're going to get a question or two that will result in a (silent) "WTF" response from just about everyone else taking the test. if so, make up law if you must, and (C)IRAC the shit out of your fake-ass law. if this happens to you, for god's sake, skip that question(s) and come back to it, picking up points elsewhere. but stick to your allotted time per essay so that you have time come back to fart out poop-slinging, yet point-grabbing, legal feces and (anal)ysis.

you're going to get lucky and know more details than the average bear about a particular topic/issue (if really lucky, perhaps even two or three topics/issues) tested that you studied perhaps more thoroughly. whoopee.

memorize, and be able to write out, the ten to twelve sentences you must spit out relating to damages that will apply/be relevant to almost any DTPA-centric question you could be asked. also memorize a couple sentences for damages relating to tie-in statutes, debt collection, or insurance violations. this will net you close to a passing score on any question on consumer law without even having to think about the fact pattern.

most importantly, the lunch hour in between essay sessions could very well mean the difference b/w passing and failing. use every second of it to review the topics you know are coming in the afternoon. i happened to review an essay and sample answer right before walking back into the testing center on some law that i had barely glossed over in general bar prep...and it showed up on the first essay i read about 20 minutes later in the afternoon session.

hopefully at least one of the tactics laid out above will be helpful to at least one person, hah.

Neff

Postby Neff » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Echoing the above, I've definitely heard that at the very least you should read and memorize every essay prompt and model answer since 1957. P&E is a little easier since you only need to memorize every single answer since 1979. If you don't have time to do everything in the above list, you should at least focus on memorizing all the tie-in statutes of the DTPA.

Also, the above poster's previous advice regarding training yourself to pee at certain times of the day in preparation for the exam is highly credited. The second most common cause of bar exam failure every year is failing to master the urge.

TXLawHopeful15

Postby TXLawHopeful15 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:46 am

americanphaoah wrote:time isn't exactly on your side anymore, but, if time allows i suggest doing the following in addition to whatever other preparation you're doing (hopefully this stuff is already in your preparation) [note: i took BARBRI]:

read through, and memorize the sample answers to, the last ten or so administrations of the civ & crim P&E exams. once you get settled into your hotel room on monday, bear down and run through as many of them as you can again before bed.

as for the MPT, do one more timed one...just so you're keenly aware of the time crunch, and then skim through all the practice MPT answers to ensure primarily one thing: familiarity with the answer formats for which the examiners are looking. i wanted to ensure that i wasted no time on game day thinking about formatting decisions. know how to format a memo, a brief, re-drafting contract/arbitration clauses, or (and pray for one of these) a demand letter or client letter. sounds stupid and redundant, perhaps, but assists with peace of mind.

as for last-minute MBE prep (as in, the tuesday afternoon before), my choice was to go over, with a very fine-toothed comb, all 300 questions that were dissected in the MBE midterm and MBE final exam, along with a speed review of flash cards/short outlines on BLL (if you used them), and re-listened to GUZMAN'S invaluable mini-reviews and various "lists of X"/"almost always wrong answers" that he gave in the simulated MBE analysis videos (you know these if you watched his videos [did he still do any this time around?] before bed. but, lol, know that there will be at least one or two questions on the actual MBE where the "almost always wrong answer" is the correct one.

as for the essays, at least read through the questions, think critically for about two minutes as to what you'd write, and then read the sample answers to every essay question asked -- on every topic -- since about 2007/2008, and even farther back if you have time. by doing this, i felt somewhat comfortable going into the exam that a sizable chunk of the material actually tested on essay day would re-appear in some form or fashion, so i wanted at least exposure to that material. i think it would be foolish not to have at least read through all of those essays and sample answers.

you're going to get a question or two that will result in a (silent) "WTF" response from just about everyone else taking the test. if so, make up law if you must, and (C)IRAC the shit out of your fake-ass law. if this happens to you, for god's sake, skip that question(s) and come back to it, picking up points elsewhere. but stick to your allotted time per essay so that you have time come back to fart out poop-slinging, yet point-grabbing, legal feces and (anal)ysis.

you're going to get lucky and know more details than the average bear about a particular topic/issue (if really lucky, perhaps even two or three topics/issues) tested that you studied perhaps more thoroughly. whoopee.

memorize, and be able to write out, the ten to twelve sentences you must spit out relating to damages that will apply/be relevant to almost any DTPA-centric question you could be asked. also memorize a couple sentences for damages relating to tie-in statutes, debt collection, or insurance violations. this will net you close to a passing score on any question on consumer law without even having to think about the fact pattern.

most importantly, the lunch hour in between essay sessions could very well mean the difference b/w passing and failing. use every second of it to review the topics you know are coming in the afternoon. i happened to review an essay and sample answer right before walking back into the testing center on some law that i had barely glossed over in general bar prep...and it showed up on the first essay i read about 20 minutes later in the afternoon session.

hopefully at least one of the tactics laid out above will be helpful to at least one person, hah.

THANK YOU! I am already doing a couple of those things, but for sure will be incorporating the MPT and Guzman videos.

Savvy_1

Postby Savvy_1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:06 am

I wish I had found this site earlier. I have paid to take this bar exam twice but I keep postponing it because I just don't feel prepared enough. Working full time (started a new job) and trying to find the time to study among family obligations has been difficult. I did not attend law school in TX so I am having to learn common law. I enrolled in Themis but I could not follow the study plan because I work 40+ hours a week.

I have been reading old exams and attempting to work old crim law questions for P&E but I just cannot retain the information....

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:50 pm

This might be a silly question........ but the instructions specifically say we can bring an external mouse. Does this mean we can bring a mouse pad too? Scared to risk bring something "forbidden" into the secure area, but I really want to use my mouse pad lol.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”