July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Stevoman

Re: July 2015 Texas Bar Exam

Postby Stevoman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:58 pm

BVest wrote:I think mainly it's the fact that they're just crossover topics and that the depth to which the exam could go on the topics would be fairly shallow.

That.

The most I've seen of Bankruptcy in studying was a UCC secured transactions question, where they threw in "oh yeah he filed bankruptcy in 2010" at the end and it changed one transaction result. Was only 1 issue of like 5 in the question. I decided not to worry about it at all.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:09 pm

Yeah... from what I've seen if you just know that "The trustee of the bankruptcy estate has the priority of a judgment lien creditor as of the date the bankruptcy petition is filed," then you know 90% of the bankruptcy law that you're likely to need to know. If you know that and about avoiding preferences, you know 99% of the bankruptcy law.

And if you don't know any of that, you might miss 10% of the issues on one single essay.

I don't know where tax issues come up. I guess trusts, guardianship, or wills/estates. Apparently it doesn't come up in family law, which seems like an obvious place for it.

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:12 pm

BVest wrote:Apparently it doesn't come up in family law, which seems like an obvious place for it.

Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain I recall the Barbri lecturer saying that, on the 1% chance we do see a tax question, it would probably be in the form of shifting alimony tax burdens.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:29 pm

The prof talked about how family law seemed like the easiest place to test tax but that they never have. He did talk about 1%, but was saying that on average, Tax will account for 1% of the bar exam (or maybe 1% of the essays).

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Gotcha, maybe that was it. I haven't looked at income tax since the video lecture. Probably not going to either...

How are you guys studying for the essay questions? I spent about 3 hours two days ago reviewing my family law notes, and felt like it was a waste of time. Instead, I've just been spending my time reading essay questions, spotting issues and outlining them quickly, then checking the answers and writing down rules I missed. I've done 15-20 now, and am getting the answers mostly right. On one hand, the same issues seem to be tested over and over, so I feel like I'll be fine doing this. On the other hand, it's all fair game and I haven't studied probably 50%+ of the material in Barbri's lectures...

Neff

Postby Neff » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Stevoman wrote:Gotcha, maybe that was it. I haven't looked at income tax since the video lecture. Probably not going to either...

How are you guys studying for the essay questions? I spent about 3 hours two days ago reviewing my family law notes, and felt like it was a waste of time. Instead, I've just been spending my time reading essay questions, spotting issues and outlining them quickly, then checking the answers and writing down rules I missed. I've done 15-20 now, and am getting the answers mostly right. On one hand, the same issues seem to be tested over and over, so I feel like I'll be fine doing this. On the other hand, it's all fair game and I haven't studied probably 50%+ of the material in Barbri's lectures...

I think this is right. I've been exclusively studying from the old exams booklet with model answers. Haven't cracked open my outlines since watching the videos. Complete waste of time to try to memorize all the rules. It's all about recognizing fact patterns and learning to answer/BS them by reading sample answers.

Also, it says federal income tax hasn't been tested since 2002. Ain't nobody got no time for that.
Last edited by Neff on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm good on MBE so I think I'm just going to spend one day doing this with each topic in the Texas book from now until the day of the exam. I've got 11 days and 10 topics to go...

Neff

Postby Neff » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Same goes for procedure and evidence, I've heard people say you should do at least 2 civil and 2 criminal exams a day until you do all of them in the booklet. No point in memorizing the rules. 75% of the questions repeat. Easy points.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Neff wrote:Same goes for procedure and evidence, I've heard people say you should do at least 2 civil and 2 criminal exams a day until you do all of them in the booklet. No point in memorizing the rules. 75% of the questions repeat. Easy points.

Everyone told me this too. Basically just learn all the questions they ask and be ready but you're gonna definitely gonna be asked something that's been asked before so get those easy 100 points.

lawrythelawyer

Postby lawrythelawyer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Anyone else taking Barbri and worried about the essays?

I've done everything in the assignments related to the essays (reviewed lecture handout / CMR when assigned, "wrote" practice essays when assigned) and it's still VERY easy for me to be completely blindsided by an essay.

I just don't see how it's possible to pass if you don't go way above what they're assigning. My plan now is to read through most of the other unassigned essays in the book to make sure I have a good idea of what's likely to be tested.

For those of you doing Barbri, do you really think sticking to their plan alone will be enough for the Texas essays?

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:20 pm

lawrythelawyer wrote:Anyone else taking Barbri and worried about the essays?

I've done everything in the assignments related to the essays (reviewed lecture handout / CMR when assigned, "wrote" practice essays when assigned) and it's still VERY easy for me to be completely blindsided by an essay.

I just don't see how it's possible to pass if you don't go way above what they're assigning. My plan now is to read through most of the other unassigned essays in the book to make sure I have a good idea of what's likely to be tested.

For those of you doing Barbri, do you really think sticking to their plan alone will be enough for the Texas essays?

FYI, from here on out (starting tomorrow on my PSP), the days include stuff like "TXT: Outline and Self-Grade Additional Real Property Essays." The time allotted for each of these is 1.5 hours, which is twice what they allot for the regular essays.

But yeah, I'll also be reading through additional essays, thinking of the issues for 5 minutes, then going to the answers.

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:21 pm

Hehe, we talked about that a few posts up. I'm also doing more essays than Barbri assigns. I'm starting in the back of each section of the TXT book (most recent first) and working my way back through the chapter. I'm reading the essays, spending a few minutes thinking about/outlining the issues, then reading the answers. Occasionally I'll write one out properly. My goal is to do 15-20 like this in each section.

The Texas essays are worth as much as the MBE, I think it's unwise to blow them off and focus on the MBE like a lot of Barbri people seem to think.

PS - tfw you just killed it on a commercial paper question. Feels good to finally be spotting issues...

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:32 pm

Going through Texas Crim Pro and getting really frustrated with Gershowitz's structure. Seems all over the place and very disorganized.
That is all.

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:19 pm

jamescastle wrote:Going through Texas Crim Pro and getting really frustrated with Gershowitz's structure. Seems all over the place and very disorganized.
That is all.

Really?? I actually liked Gershowitz's lecture & handout. Although it is way too long considering we only have to answer 20 questions for crim pro, at least it covered everything.
I hate how much studying the P&E requires for such a little payoff....

Benjamin1987

Postby Benjamin1987 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Any other Barbri users feel like their coverage of Real Property, for the purposes of the essays, was (to put it kindly) terrible? I'm working on the old essays, and discovering I am very unprepared. Of course, I nailed the three essays Barbri assigned but as far as the other FORTY go, I have never seen most of this law before.

Feeling very discouraged to say the least...

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:Any other Barbri users feel like their coverage of Real Property, for the purposes of the essays, was (to put it kindly) terrible? I'm working on the old essays, and discovering I am very unprepared. Of course, I nailed the three essays Barbri assigned but as far as the other FORTY go, I have never seen most of this law before.

Yeah I agree with you.

I think they did a good job with O&G but not with the general property stuff. I was just basically going to apply my MBE knowledge to an essay and hope that I remember some Texas specific rules (praying its LL&T stuff since I took some classes/relevant work w/).

srave14

Postby srave14 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:47 am

Benjamin1987 wrote:Any other Barbri users feel like their coverage of Real Property, for the purposes of the essays, was (to put it kindly) terrible? I'm working on the old essays, and discovering I am very unprepared. Of course, I nailed the three essays Barbri assigned but as far as the other FORTY go, I have never seen most of this law before.

I feel the same way. At this point, I'm just going to focus on O&G for those essay questions. If other Real Property issues pop up, I'll just hope that I do well enough on the other 10 essays to pass. Best-case scenario: both Real Property questions deal with O&G.

3L Student

Postby 3L Student » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:16 am

Do we think they are going to test on Trusts or Guardianships this summer?

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:18 am

3L Student wrote:Do we think they are going to test on Trusts or Guardianships this summer?

Trusts is what BARBRI said. They've tested guardianships three times in a row and they've never tested something four times in a row.

Neff

Postby Neff » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:27 am

jamescastle wrote:
3L Student wrote:Do we think they are going to test on Trusts or Guardianships this summer?

Trusts is what BARBRI said. They've tested guardianships three times in a row and they've never tested something four times in a row.

July 2014 was trusts (see Q5). Feb 2015 was guardianship.

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:37 am

YES to all of the above. Overall, I feel like Barbri really slacked in preparing us for the Texas essays, but especially when it comes to Property. Even the Texas-specific CMR outline is a joke. Half of the essay questions I've looked at were never even brought up in the lecture, and that lecture was 3 days long!

logdog

Postby logdog » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:53 am

ladylawyer1221 wrote:

YES to all of the above. Overall, I feel like Barbri really slacked in preparing us for the Texas essays, but especially when it comes to Property. Even the Texas-specific CMR outline is a joke. Half of the essay questions I've looked at were never even brought up in the lecture, and that lecture was 3 days long!

If you get an essay you don't know the answer to, decide what the result should be, and make up the law you need to get there. There was a Property question that I was pretty much drawing a blank on last summer, so I applied "Logdog's Law" and answered confidently. It seems to have worked.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 pm

logdog wrote:
ladylawyer1221 wrote:

If you get an essay you don't know the answer to, decide what the result should be, and make up the law you need to get there. There was a Property question that I was pretty much drawing a blank on last summer, so I applied "Logdog's Law" and answered confidently. It seems to have worked.

Thank you for posting here. Nice to see people who have taken the Texas Bar chiming in.

In your estimation, how prepared were you for the Texas essays going in? Did you know 100% of the law, 50%, 25%?

I'm at a point where I have a solid broad overview of the essay topics. On select topics I know most of the law pretty confidently but on other topics I only know the major issues. In your opinion am I screwed on the essays or am I in decent shape?

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 pm

Thank you for posting here. Nice to see people who have taken the Texas Bar chiming in.

In your estimation, how prepared were you for the Texas essays going in? Did you know 100% of the law, 50%, 25%?

I'm at a point where I have a solid broad overview of the essay topics. On select topics I know most of the law pretty confidently but on other topics I only know the major issues. In your opinion am I screwed on the essays or am I in decent shape?

I feel the same way. I feel like I have a pretty good overview of each of the subjects (except a little shaky on commercial paper). I just keep freaking out that I don't know enough to pass. Especially since my MBE scores have consistently been around the "average" range, I feel like I don't have a cushion for the essays.

lawrythelawyer

Postby lawrythelawyer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:20 pm

Devlin wrote:In your estimation, how prepared were you for the Texas essays going in? Did you know 100% of the law, 50%, 25%?

^ Yes. Would LOVE to know this from anyone who passed last year...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”