NY July 2015 Support Group

lucilledeux

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby lucilledeux » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:38 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
lucilledeux wrote:How much can you miss on an essay and still get a passable score? I didn't know the rules on a few sub-parts and either made something up or said something vaguely relevant. Trying to prepare myself for whatever is coming. I did OK on the barbri mbe, but the real thing felt awful.

I mean there are so many variables out there. What level of issue did you miss, how much you wrote on the issues you did get, what your NYMC/MPT were, how bored your grader was. No way to know.

What was your MBE?

The NYMC was a disaster, I probably did little better than guessing. Some were educated guesses, most not. MPT was fine to my knowledge. My practice MBE was around 125.

I wrote a decent amount on the issues I knew, but I'm not great at essays. I guess I'm trying to figure out what a passing effort is on the essays with an average MBE. I tried the seperac calculator but I don't know what quality of answers translates to what scores.

sledge

Postby sledge » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:54 am

lucilledeux wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:
lucilledeux wrote:How much can you miss on an essay and still get a passable score? I didn't know the rules on a few sub-parts and either made something up or said something vaguely relevant. Trying to prepare myself for whatever is coming. I did OK on the barbri mbe, but the real thing felt awful.

I mean there are so many variables out there. What level of issue did you miss, how much you wrote on the issues you did get, what your NYMC/MPT were, how bored your grader was. No way to know.

What was your MBE?

The NYMC was a disaster, I probably did little better than guessing. Some were educated guesses, most not. MPT was fine to my knowledge. My practice MBE was around 125.

I wrote a decent amount on the issues I knew, but I'm not great at essays. I guess I'm trying to figure out what a passing effort is on the essays with an average MBE. I tried the seperac calculator but I don't know what quality of answers translates to what scores.

Try to stay positive. I know these final days are very stressful. Trust me, we all feel the same way. There are lots of people who walk out of the exam absolutely certain that they've failed and yet somehow manage to pass and vice versa. All we can do is hope for the best.

nyny

Postby nyny » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:07 am

dietcoke0 wrote:

What was your MBE?

Yea I'm not sure how much you wrote carries too much weight. For the most part you have to get the issue phrased in the question asked, IRAC it, and you should be fine. If you see issues that are not noticeable from a cursory reading of the question, your scores may increase. For example a question asking was so and so's claim in time, should not call for much writing. But a rather vague question might call for more writing.

Also some questions have more than one way to answer it. Lawyering is an adversarial system. On the NYBOLE website, and most of our prep books with model answers, two model answers are usually provided. At times two different people can reach two different logical conclusions, using two completely different real (not made up) NY laws and both considered model answers. And one model answer may be 3 pages long, while the other is a page and a half. Personally I felt essays 4 and 5 called for less writing than essays 1,2, and 3.

But I do agree that there are so many other variables. For one, some of the questions are worth more than others according to Chris Fromm of Kaplan. Only the graders know the weight of each question

bmonroe

Postby bmonroe » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:18 pm

You guys (and girls) crack me up and drive me nuts at the same time. But I'm so glad I'm not the only one stressing over the results . Misery loves company but Ima about ready for y'all to go home :wink: . Let's pray that a miracle happens and the results come out this week so we all can move forwarded.

ConsummateGentleman

Postby ConsummateGentleman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 am

Has anyone attempted the "change-address-to-see-if-they-passed" trick? Any luck?

lucilledeux

Postby lucilledeux » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:50 am

ConsummateGentleman wrote:Has anyone attempted the "change-address-to-see-if-they-passed" trick? Any luck?

What trick is that? Search doesn't work great on my phone

lucilledeux

Postby lucilledeux » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:24 am

lucilledeux wrote:
ConsummateGentleman wrote:Has anyone attempted the "change-address-to-see-if-they-passed" trick? Any luck?

Nvm, found it - the website let me change my address. I'm guessing they would have fixed this loophole, but anyone get something different?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 am

lucilledeux wrote:

Auto email said once you're certified for admission all changes must be made through the appellate division. Seems like something they'd say to someone who passed, but on the other hand, I've gotten no CLE advertisements. Didn't study nearly enough, and made up the laws on all the essays. The date seems to have been curiously changed back after I had an awkward conversation with a rep regarding an application question. Probably even money that I'm done for, but until we get the results in January, ignorance is bliss.

lucilledeux

Postby lucilledeux » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:52 am

AReasonableMan wrote:
lucilledeux wrote:

Auto email said once you're certified for admission all changes must be made through the appellate division. Seems like something they'd say to someone who passed, but on the other hand, I've gotten no CLE advertisements. Didn't study nearly enough, and made up the laws on all the essays. The date seems to have been curiously changed back after I had an awkward conversation with a rep regarding an application question. Probably even money that I'm done for, but until we get the results in January, ignorance is bliss.
I got that email too, but I don't think it means anything. I also didn't study enough, made up laws on the essays (and didn't even do a good job of making things up coherently..). I'm hoping for a miracle on the mbe.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:56 am

lucilledeux wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
lucilledeux wrote:

I got that email too, but I don't think it means anything. I also didn't study enough, made up laws on the essays (and didn't even do a good job of making things up coherently..). I'm hoping for a miracle on the mbe.

Did you get CLE advertisements? I've only gotten advertisements for shoe shining school, which I think is what happens when you fail. Bole has a proud tradition of selling the names of those test takers who weren't even close to a wide variety of shoe shining institutions and clown colleges. They also have a lot of stock options in FDA approved anxiety medications, which is why they like to play around with the release dates.

EDIT - The above is for entertainment purposes and in no way is intended to suggest that Bole is anything other than a forthright and outstandingly honest group of scholarly ladies and gentlemen.

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 pm

I can change my address, I don't know what that proves or doesn't prove, though?

advoc8

Postby advoc8 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I have an idea of how you can see if you were certified. If you get lucky, you can get that old lady on the phone when you call the 2nd department. If so, what she does is, asks when you took your bar exam after you give her your name. You can lie and say "I took it in February, 2015," and was just wondering whether my documents have been received and whether I have been certified. I assume all certified members, regardless when certified, are on the same system. So she may say "no" or "yes." LOL.

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:54 pm

I triple dog dare ya

iwantmybar

Postby iwantmybar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:55 pm

advoc8 wrote:I have an idea of how you can see if you were certified. If you get lucky, you can get that old lady on the phone when you call the 2nd department. If so, what she does is, asks when you took your bar exam after you give her your name. You can lie and say "I took it in February, 2015," and was just wondering whether my documents have been received and whether I have been certified. I assume all certified members, regardless when certified, are on the same system. So she may say "no" or "yes." LOL.

Or she might put your name down and report you. BOUM.

jane89

Postby jane89 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Is anyone not able to change their address online?

500pearl

Postby 500pearl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:00 pm

received email 430pm from 2d dept regarding log in name and password for the orientation videos

not sure what this means

jane89

Postby jane89 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm Third Department, and haven't received anything like that.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:16 pm

jane89 wrote:I'm Third Department, and haven't received anything like that.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

It's no big deal. Just means you didn't pass this time around. Could happen to anyone.

imalreadyamember?

Postby imalreadyamember? » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:25 pm

In seriousness, I don't think Third Dept. has to watch the videos. That's just 2nd right? I think. Or we failed.

starryski

Postby starryski » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:27 pm

anyone in 1st dept get anything?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:28 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:

In seriousness, I don't think Third Dept. has to watch the videos. That's just 2nd right? I think. Or we failed.

I know us country folk in the 9th department got us logins and wagons at 4:30 as well. Going yonder on that hyperlink now.

500pearl

Postby 500pearl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:31 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:

Danger Zone wrote:

only 2d dept has a requirement to watch these videos (only available online) in order to be admitted. none of the other dept has such requirement. so it does not mean anything.

what i found weird (or rather scared the crap out of me) was that 2d dept emailed me the log in and password for these videos (randomly and i never asked for it)

500pearl

Postby 500pearl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:32 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
imalreadyamember? wrote:

I know us country folk in the 9th department got us logins and wagons at 4:30 as well. Going yonder on that hyperlink now.

hahahaa 9th dept good

lucilledeux

Postby lucilledeux » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Third department, haven't received anything either

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”