NY July 2015 Support Group

Starks11

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby Starks11 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Anyone have any comforting stories about people who passed with strong MBEs despite bombing the local day? All I've heard is the reverse story.

I definitely think I "failed" the NY local day, mainly due to horrific time management. (1) I ran out of time and had to straight guess "C" on the last twenty NYMC. (2) I did the whole MPT in a little less than an hour; it went...poorly. (3) I only felt good about three of the five essays. On one of the other two, I completely failed to answer the last of the four sub-questions, and on the other I definitely got one of the four sub-questions completely wrong.

But I think I probably scored well on the MBE. I scored 164 and 172 on the two BarBri practice tests. I didn't feel as great about the actual MBE (especially the morning session), but that could just be because I went in expecting to crush it. People's MBE scores being reported in other threads have me optimistically thinking I scored 160 or even 170+.

Will a high MBE score like that be enough to overcome my terrible local day performance? Just how badly can you do on Day 1 and still pass?

nyny

Postby nyny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:16 pm

Starks11 wrote:Anyone have any comforting stories about people who passed with strong MBEs despite bombing the local day? All I've heard is the reverse story.

I definitely think I "failed" the NY local day, mainly due to horrific time management. (1) I ran out of time and had to straight guess "C" on the last twenty NYMC. (2) I did the whole MPT in a little less than an hour; it went...poorly. (3) I only felt good about three of the five essays. On one of the other two, I completely failed to answer the last of the four sub-questions, and on the other I definitely got one of the four sub-questions completely wrong.

But I think I probably scored well on the MBE. I scored 164 and 172 on the two BarBri practice tests. I didn't feel as great about the actual MBE (especially the morning session), but that could just be because I went in expecting to crush it. People's MBE scores being reported in other threads have me optimistically thinking I scored 160 or even 170+.

Will a high MBE score like that be enough to overcome my terrible local day performance? Just how badly can you do on Day 1 and still pass?

Because the bar exam is weighted and you need your scaled combine score to be 665 or above to pass, its possible to pass with a strong MBE and a weaker NY day performance. if you mess around with the Seperac NY bar calculator, you will notice that a MBE score of 155 or better can make up for a lot of mistakes made on the essays, mpt, and NYMC. http://www.seperac.com/calc-bar-j14.php

Every state scales their MBE differently, I believe, so a 145 in NC might not be a 145 in NY, it might just be less.

In regards to how you felt about the essays, I also feel similar, even though I finished the exam for the most part. I believe even the brightest of test takers can not get every single question correct on every essay in those circumstances, so you should take solace in that. Though the NY bar exam is proving to be a ruthless exam with declining bar rates. I know for sure that I got an issue wrong on essay #1, and there was another question on essay #4 that was beat to death in this thread before it was erased, that no one really knew the answer either, lol.

Edit: I would also like to add that the passing time is also making me feel uneasy about the exam, because I'm slowly forgetting the things that I wrote... But I felt okay after each day.

gtz

Postby gtz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:52 am

nyny wrote:
Starks11 wrote:Anyone have any comforting stories about people who passed with strong MBEs despite bombing the local day? All I've heard is the reverse story.

Because the bar exam is weighted and you need your scaled combine score to be 665 or above to pass, its possible to pass with a strong MBE and a weaker NY day performance. if you mess around with the Seperac NY bar calculator, you will notice that a MBE score of 155 or better can make up for a lot of mistakes made on the essays, mpt, and NYMC. http://www.seperac.com/calc-bar-j14.php

Every state scales their MBE differently, I believe, so a 145 in NC might not be a 145 in NY, it might just be less.

In regards to how you felt about the essays, I also feel similar, even though I finished the exam for the most part. I believe even the brightest of test takers can not get every single question correct on every essay in those circumstances, so you should take solace in that. Though the NY bar exam is proving to be a ruthless exam with declining bar rates. I know for sure that I got an issue wrong on essay #1, and there was another question on essay #4 that was beat to death in this thread before it was erased, that no one really knew the answer either, lol.

Edit: I would also like to add that the passing time is also making me feel uneasy about the exam, because I'm slowly forgetting the things that I wrote... But I felt okay after each day.

I'm feeling the same way knowing that I crushed 2 questions, 2 others I knew the law but could have applied it better and 1 I clearly got an entire subpart wrong. However, I'm like you with a 151 barbri midterm and constantly scoring 85%+ on the MBEs in both barbri and emmauels by the end. But I thought the real MBE was much harder.

The above calculator makes me feel a lot better tho because when you plug in a scaled 155 roughly a raw 143 or around 74% (trying to be as least generous as possible for scaling) that allows you to get 2 55 essays (slightly better then average), 2 50 essays (average) and 1 40 essay (really bad) along with a 30 MPT (basically the worst score possible) and still have room to pass with relative comfort

So it is really difficult to fail with even a 155 MBE which seems obtainable from practice tests.

lspa2015

Postby lspa2015 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:48 am

Delete
Last edited by lspa2015 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lspa2015

Postby lspa2015 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 am

gtz wrote:
nyny wrote:

I'm feeling the same way knowing that I crushed 2 questions, 2 others I knew the law but could have applied it better and 1 I clearly got an entire subpart wrong. However, I'm like you with a 151 barbri midterm and constantly scoring 85%+ on the MBEs in both barbri and emmauels by the end. But I thought the real MBE was much harder.

The above calculator makes me feel a lot better tho because when you plug in a scaled 155 roughly a raw 143 or around 74% (trying to be as least generous as possible for scaling) that allows you to get 2 55 essays (slightly better then average), 2 50 essays (average) and 1 40 essay (really bad) along with a 30 MPT (basically the worst score possible) and still have room to pass with relative comfort

So it is really difficult to fail with even a 155 MBE which seems obtainable from practice tests.

I don't know if you're a first time test taker and a graduate of a US law school, but if you are, I think the averages are even better than you indicated. The 50 average is for all test takers - I think the essay average for first time test takers from US law schools is probably around 53-54.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 pm

I'll be honest, I got a 159 on the LSAT, and did pretty poorly at my T2. However, I attribute that partly to not taking 1L seriously enough, and I know I studied way harder for the bar. 159 is still 77%ile of all LSAT takers, and we know not everyone who takes the LSAT ends up eventually taking the bar....can we come up with some psuedoscience based on LSAT to make the majority of us feel better?

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:39 am

I filled out the NY MC randomly except for like 5 questions I may have known.

Am I doomed?

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:31 am

moreheesh wrote:I filled out the NY MC randomly except for like 5 questions I may have known.

Am I doomed?

I feel the same way, as does most everyone else.
The NYMC makes up 10% of the final grade, and the score is scaled (praise Jesus).
I've taken the exam more than once and I can honestly tell you, the NYMC are a total crap shoot, worse than the MBE in my opinion.
It used to be said that for the NYMC, about 1/3 you will have a strong idea of the right answer, for 1/3 you will guess between 2 or 3, and for the other 1/3 you're in the dark.

I felt slightly worse than that each time, but my NYMC were always passing (usually above 600)

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 am

trustmouse83 wrote:
moreheesh wrote:I filled out the NY MC randomly except for like 5 questions I may have known.

Am I doomed?

I feel the same way, as does most everyone else.
The NYMC makes up 10% of the final grade, and the score is scaled (praise Jesus).
I've taken the exam more than once and I can honestly tell you, the NYMC are a total crap shoot, worse than the MBE in my opinion.
It used to be said that for the NYMC, about 1/3 you will have a strong idea of the right answer, for 1/3 you will guess between 2 or 3, and for the other 1/3 you're in the dark.

I felt slightly worse than that each time, but my NYMC were always passing (usually above 600)

Thanks--that;s nice to hear about your score always being a passing score on NYMC. Seperac says you typically get 24/50 out of the scaling/basic probability even if you guess throughout without reading, so hopefully I added a few more than that. I spent all that time instead on my essays.

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 am

I know the feeling!

I think I had 25-30mins left for the NYMC after the essays stole most of my time.
I was bubbling in answers with a minute to go.

nyny

Postby nyny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:02 am

The wait is getting harder and harder. I keep replaying the entire essay day in my head, lol

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:51 am

It could be worse, you could have just not really done hardly any Civ Pro questions prior to the MBE, and missed admin law on the essays completely like a guy I know.

nyny

Postby nyny » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:39 pm

trustmouse83 wrote:It could be worse, you could have just not really done hardly any Civ Pro questions prior to the MBE, and missed admin law on the essays completely like a guy I know.

I have combed this thread since Tuesday, essay day, until now, lol... you should be fine on essay 5... The MBE is worrying us all!!!

sledge

Postby sledge » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:15 am

It's October people. Let's stay positive!!! It will be alright.

marztri

Postby marztri » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:08 am

nyny wrote:The wait is getting harder and harder. I keep replaying the entire essay day in my head, lol

I felt pretty ok after both days compare to the first time I took but now as I read the threads, the questioning myself and worrying gets worse. I think at this stage I just want to know. I can't remember if I had the long string of D's every one is talking about or not. But I felt the morning mbe was better than the evening, but then someone people say they can be switched around for everyone. If you are becoming unreasonably irate for no reason, it's normal lol

nyny

Postby nyny » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:28 am

marztri wrote:
nyny wrote:The wait is getting harder and harder. I keep replaying the entire essay day in my head, lol

I felt pretty ok after both days compare to the first time I took but now as I read the threads, the questioning myself and worrying gets worse. I think at this stage I just want to know. I can't remember if I had the long string of D's every one is talking about or not. But I felt the morning mbe was better than the evening, but then someone people say they can be switched around for everyone. If you are becoming unreasonably irate for no reason, it's normal lol

I had a bunch of D's in the first column of my answer sheet going into my second, basically my first 30 questions I had a bunch of D's, no more than 4-5 in a row, separated by a random letter or two (not 10 in a row or so, like others have said), then it would start again... But there were 10 forms I believe, and people who did not have the D's have also received high scores... I would not stress the D issue.

Truth be told NY is a 60-40 state, and the MBE will handle itself. If you felt okay after NY day where 60% of your grade is being determined, you should be in good shape. I had friends who passed the NY bar with mid 120s MBE scores, like multiple friends. But us Type A people get worked up knowing we did not get every single question of NY day correct. There were about 26 questions asked in the 5 essays; me knowing for sure that I screwed one of them, for sure there were questions I may have not answered exactly how they wanted me, and another one that no one knew, drives me nuts, lol.

lspa2015

Postby lspa2015 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:04 am

nyny wrote:
marztri wrote:

I had a bunch of D's in the first column of my answer sheet going into my second, basically my first 30 questions I had a bunch of D's, no more than 4-5 in a row, separated by a random letter or two (not 10 in a row or so, like others have said), then it would start again... But there were 10 forms I believe, and people who did not have the D's have also received high scores... I would not stress the D issue.

Truth be told NY is a 60-40 state, and the MBE will handle itself. If you felt okay after NY day where 60% of your grade is being determined, you should be in good shape. I had friends who passed the NY bar with mid 120s MBE scores, like multiple friends. But us Type A people get worked up knowing we did not get every single question of NY day correct. There were about 26 questions asked in the 5 essays; me knowing for sure that I screwed one of them, for sure there were questions I may have not answered exactly how they wanted me, and another one that no one knew, drives me nuts, lol.

Except can anyone feel good about the 10% on the first day going to the NYMC haha.

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:53 am

I had the string of D's everyone talks about for what it's worth.

starryski

Postby starryski » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 pm

i thought the NYMC was easy but MBE brutal >_<. that is either because i bombed the NY MC or I have been a paralegal for 7+ years and am very comfortable with NY law etc.

Now that it's October the stress is REAL. :cry: :cry: :cry:

nyny

Postby nyny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Haha, I would not say it was easy, but the questions I knew, I knew clearly without a doubt... and the ones I did not know, I did not know clearly, without a doubt hahaha lol... If that even makes sense. There was some left field questions on there. A 29 raw or more out of 50 is should be a fine score. Also the NYMC is scaled as well. The NYMC is a worth a little bit more than an individual essay on the NY bar.

starryski

Postby starryski » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:30 am

i got an email from the first department RE: the admission process. ANYONE ELSE?!

ovxsny27

Postby ovxsny27 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:53 am

starryski wrote:i got an email from the first department RE: the admission process. ANYONE ELSE?!

Email saying what? First Dept here, no email though :/ did I fail? Ugh!

starryski

Postby starryski » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:05 am

ovxsny27 wrote:
starryski wrote:i got an email from the first department RE: the admission process. ANYONE ELSE?!

"The State Board of Law Examiners has advised us that you have taken the July 2015 New York Bar Exam. Attached is information regarding the admission process in the Appellate Division, First Department. Please open, print and review each notice carefully and file them for future reference."

with 3 attachments

you really didnt? are you sure???

ovxsny27

Postby ovxsny27 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:10 am

starryski wrote:
ovxsny27 wrote:

"The State Board of Law Examiners has advised us that you have taken the July 2015 New York Bar Exam. Attached is information regarding the admission process in the Appellate Division, First Department. Please open, print and review each notice carefully and file them for future reference."

with 3 attachments

you really didnt? are you sure???

Literally, and I mean literally, received the email as I was typing this response verifying that I hadn't yet received the email. Gosh October hit and now I'm a nervous wreck about every little indication of passing/failing. Sorry for the confusion forgive me lol

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:12 am

Hmmmm...1st dept and did not receive an email.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”