NY July 2015 Support Group Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
yurista

New

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Post by yurista » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Also, what's the rule on reading a deposition in to evidence if both sides had attorneys present at the deposition and the deposed party isn't a party?

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 pm

summeisruined wrote:
stronitsing wrote:
summeisruined wrote:Or maybe they are not gonna test admin because it will be never again on the bar except next feb

I don'tfucking want admin.

Edit :

About incorporation in a will, my notes always talk about a pourover trust.

But a codicil will do the trick as well right?
Most states recognize an extrinsic document's incorporation into a will by mere reference to the document. New York doesn't, so any provisions must be in the actual will, besides pour over trusts. And yeah a codicil will do if it's validly executed - cause that's added to the actual will.
Thx :D

Also, if I understood correctly, there won't be NY practice AND federal civ pro tomorrow?

source: http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/CONTENTOUTLINE.pdf
noo thank god!

summeisruined

New

Post by summeisruined » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:11 pm

stronitsing wrote:
summeisruined wrote:
stronitsing wrote:
summeisruined wrote:Or maybe they are not gonna test admin because it will be never again on the bar except next feb

Edit :

Most states recognize an extrinsic document's incorporation into a will by mere reference to the document. New York doesn't, so any provisions must be in the actual will, besides pour over trusts. And yeah a codicil will do if it's validly executed - cause that's added to the actual will.

Also, if I understood correctly, there won't be NY practice AND federal civ pro tomorrow?

noo thank god!

But i odnt understand.... there has to be the SOL and long arm statutes right?

I don't get it?

Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Can we bring metrocards/credit cards/etc? If not, how am I getting home

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm

summeisruined wrote:
stronitsing wrote:
summeisruined wrote:
stronitsing wrote:

Edit :

noo thank god!

I don't get it?
They're considered New York Practice -
https://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/Goin ... hart.shtml
http://www.kentlaw.edu/perritt/courses/ ... ngarm.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toplawnerd

New

Post by toplawnerd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:Can we bring metrocards/credit cards/etc? If not, how am I getting home
I think someone mentioned that metrocards are allowed...? But wallets aren't allowed I don't think. What about tissues? An older security policy allowed them, but the updated one doesn't mention them...

summeisruined

New

Post by summeisruined » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 pm

I read on another forum reddit :

"PSA for any NY takers. I finally broke down and called BOLE about the security policy. I was told that keys, wallets, and bus/subway cards were taken off of the permitted items list, but that we can bring them into the exam room in our pockets"

source : https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... ad/cthvn23

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 pm

stronitsing wrote:
summeisruined wrote:
stronitsing wrote:
summeisruined wrote:
stronitsing wrote:

Edit :

noo thank god!

I don't get it?
They're considered New York Practice -
https://www.nycourts.gov/CourtHelp/Goin ... hart.shtml
http://www.kentlaw.edu/perritt/courses/ ... ngarm.html
fed (and most likely constitutional) wont be. you still need to know CPLR.

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:31 pm

summeisruined wrote:I read on another forum reddit :

"PSA for any NY takers. I finally broke down and called BOLE about the security policy. I was told that keys, wallets, and bus/subway cards were taken off of the permitted items list, but that we can bring them into the exam room in our pockets"

makes complete sense!

what are you guys going to do first? MPT or essays? I'm thinking essays?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 pm

stronitsing wrote:

makes complete sense!

Yeah I think essays. 24% compared to 10%

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
stronitsing wrote:

makes complete sense!

Yeah I think essays. 24% compared to 10%
def essays. you can bs MPT in an hr. not essays.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Just throwing this out there, but if they decide to test Admin law on an essay either in part, or worst of all as a full essay, I am royally FUCKED.

And I still get tripped up on elective share which is so likely to come up, too.

I figure i'll go to bed very shortly, and get up around 5am or 5.30am and review the explanations posted on this thread for it. And I need to look over the SOL table in the CMR, because I don't know those either, and those are easy points to pick up- either on the essays or more likely in the NYMC.

I think it's better to start with the NYMC, too. Kind of wakes you up and prepares some of the law you might see later in the essays.

I still think the essays are a crap shoot. The stuff you know well either comes up, or it doesn't.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33 pm

trustmouse83 wrote:Just throwing this out there, but if they decide to test Admin law on an essay either in part, or worst of all as a full essay, I am royally FUCKED.

And I still get tripped up on elective share which is so likely to come up, too.

I figure i'll go to bed very shortly, and get up around 5am or 5.30am and review the explanations posted on this thread for it. And I need to look over the SOL table in the CMR, because I don't know those either, and those are easy points to pick up- either on the essays or more likely in the NYMC.

I think it's better to start with the NYMC, too. Kind of wakes you up and prepares some of the law you might see later in the essays.

I still think the essays are a crap shoot. The stuff you know well either comes up, or it doesn't.

ill do NYMC last. elective share just think 1/3. including testamentary substitutes 1/3 or 50k. just throw those terms around. cant disinherit spouses. admin law, agencies' decisions will be overturned only if arbitrary and capricious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Cool, thanks.

Ok, i'm going to try sleeping, but I know i'll be up early to review Wills, and Contracts, and definitely domestic relations, too.

Good luck to everyone else, it has been a pleasure sailing with you, gentlemen.

summeisruined

New

Post by summeisruined » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 pm

starryski wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:Just throwing this out there, but if they decide to test Admin law on an essay either in part, or worst of all as a full essay, I am royally FUCKED.

ill do NYMC last. elective share just think 1/3. including testamentary substitutes 1/3 or 50k. just throw those terms around. cant disinherit spouses. admin law, agencies' decisions will be overturned only if arbitrary and capricious.
You mean 1/3 + testamentary substitutes

Or 1/3 OR 50K

Also, can you add : 1/3 + testamentary substitutes + statutory family exemptions?

moreover, how do you know if you apply the elective share rule or classic intestacy rule (50K + one half ) ?

yurista

New

Post by yurista » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:27 am

Can we bring materials to review at lunch and leave in the personal room? An hour and a half seems realllly long to make small talk with other crazy people....

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 am

yurista wrote:Can we bring materials to review at lunch and leave in the personal room? An hour and a half seems realllly long to make small talk with other crazy people....
I'm leaving a sandwich and some fruit in a car about 10 minutes away, and i will be hitting whatever subjects from the essays we havent seen yet all through lunch.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Not feeling good. Felt like I needed more time.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Yeah, you and me both. I left myself 35 mins for the NYMC, the first essay kicked my ass and I ran 15 mins over. I finished the MPT, which I found very difficult with only 3 mins to go.
Never even looked it over.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm

nutella123 wrote:Not feeling good. Felt like I needed more time.
Felt *ok* about this morning. Not amazing but I felt like I had to make up minimal laws.

Afternoon.... made up a few things, and know for sure that I answered absolutely everything wrong on the second essay (essay #5). Awesome.
Last edited by xlawschoolhopefulx on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbarbara

New

Post by Barbarbara » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Essay #5 killed me. {No spoilers for people with extra time} The rest seemed OK though. MC was about what I expected. Anyone else?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bear patrol

New

Post by bear patrol » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Felt like I invented several laws today. Hoping that IRAC formatting and the old "make up rule and apply the law to facts" strategy will get enough points. Feels good to be done with today though.

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Felt like everything was just a deviation from what I expected. I thought an essay question would go one way and then it turned out they wanted something tangential which I felt like I didn't know anything about so I had to make it up. The NYMC seemed much more specific than the Barbri practice ones.

I feel so screwed.

summeisruined

New

Post by summeisruined » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 pm

lol, completely failed the fifth essay and the third one.

I made up 3/4 of the rules. fuck me

sp1kedrat

New

Post by sp1kedrat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 pm

i was really hoping to avoid this thread tonight, but did anyone come out of that literally feeling like: "DUDE WHAT HTE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?" none of it was what i expected in the worst way possible

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”