NY July 2015 Support Group

sd5289

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Random question on the NY day: what comes first in the morning? The NYMC or the essays? I feel way better about the essays than I do the NYMC, and would want to tackle the essays first before moving onto the NYMC because 50% of the time I'm guessing on those.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:35 pm

sd5289 wrote:Random question on the NY day: what comes first in the morning? The NYMC or the essays? I feel way better about the essays than I do the NYMC, and would want to tackle the essays first before moving onto the NYMC because 50% of the time I'm guessing on those.

I'm definitely starting with the essays as well. I don't think time will be an issue, but you always take a little bit longer on the actual thing. That being said, NYMC is a crapshoot, so if you're really running out of time you can just go down the scantron and choose C.

toplawnerd

Postby toplawnerd » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:53 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
toplawnerd wrote:Question about statute of limitations for claims against the State of New York:

- Claims against a municipality have a 1 year, 90 day SOL. Also necessary to file a notice of claim.
- Is there a special rule for the State of New York? Other than the fact that State of New York claims are filed in the Court of Claims, what other requirements are there?

I've looked through my Barbri notes and the CMR and can't find anything, but I could easily just be overlooking it.

Thanks

Um. The only thing I can think of is immunity. Not looking at my notes, but the gist of what I have remembered is that NY has waived immunity for functions that could be performed by private entities but continue to be performed by the state, but retains immunity for purely state functions.

ETA: that is obviously not about SOL, this was just the only thing I could think of relating to claims against the state.

Thanks -- That is a good point. Still not sure about the SOL though.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:01 pm

orangecup wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Random question on the NY day: what comes first in the morning? The NYMC or the essays? I feel way better about the essays than I do the NYMC, and would want to tackle the essays first before moving onto the NYMC because 50% of the time I'm guessing on those.

I'm definitely starting with the essays as well. I don't think time will be an issue, but you always take a little bit longer on the actual thing. That being said, NYMC is a crapshoot, so if you're really running out of time you can just go down the scantron and choose C.

barbri says to not spend more than an hour on the nymc...

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:37 pm

victortsoi wrote:
orangecup wrote:

Themis says the same thing.

I was just curious which showed up first. If it's NYMC I'll definitely be flipping past and starting with the 3 essays.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:43 pm

sd5289 wrote:
victortsoi wrote:
orangecup wrote:

I was just curious which showed up first. If it's NYMC I'll definitely be flipping past and starting with the 3 essays.

why not just get it out of the way first?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 pm

victortsoi wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
victortsoi wrote:
orangecup wrote:

Risk spending more time on it than you should (might not pay close enough attention to the time). Plus, the essays may be particularly difficult, so you may not even want to spend a full 60 minutes on it (the fact patterns are short, you can probably power through it in 40-45 minutes with determination).

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:11 pm

orangecup wrote:
victortsoi wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
victortsoi wrote:
orangecup wrote:

Risk spending more time on it than you should (might not pay close enough attention to the time). Plus, the essays may be particularly difficult, so you may not even want to spend a full 60 minutes on it (the fact patterns are short, you can probably power through it in 40-45 minutes with determination).

so, essays first, then nymc? Is that the consensus?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:13 pm

victortsoi wrote:so, essays first, then nymc? Is that the consensus?

To the handful of friends I've talked to, yeah. I think another consideration is that you might be more tired by the last hour, and since the NYMC is a bit of a crapshoot anyways, might as well save the bulk of your energy on the essays.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:21 pm

orangecup wrote:

To the handful of friends I've talked to, yeah. I think another consideration is that you might be more tired by the last hour, and since the NYMC is a bit of a crapshoot anyways, might as well save the bulk of your energy on the essays.

Agreed. This whole venture is about getting as many points as you can, wherever you can. I'd rather come in fresh on the essays, and if I ended up in a time crunch, I'd rather it be on the NYMC rather than on the third essay, especially if that third essay ends up being a strength of mine. I'm not saying completely disregard the NYMC, but they're so damn random and only worth 10% anyway.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm going NYMC first so 1. If any rules overlap, they are fresh in my head, and 2. I'm better with a warm up first, so I might as well get my mind working first, and then move onto Essay.

That said, on MBE review, I can hit 100 MBE questions well before 3 hours, and generally can rip through multi-choice fast, so I also want to have the most time possible for my essays, and figured that trying to go back to my essays and supplement shit is more of a waste of time than trying to add things into an essay 2 hours later.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:32 pm

sd5289 wrote:
orangecup wrote:

Agreed. This whole venture is about getting as many points as you can, wherever you can. I'd rather come in fresh on the essays, and if I ended up in a time crunch, I'd rather it be on the NYMC rather than on the third essay, especially if that third essay ends up being a strength of mine. I'm not saying completely disregard the NYMC, but they're so damn random and only worth 10% anyway.

do a lot of people end up running out of time?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:36 pm

victortsoi wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
orangecup wrote:

do a lot of people end up running out of time?

I'm not sure. I imagine if you're prepared you likely won't. But I also figured it's better to hedge your bets. If you think you'd be stronger starting with NYMC first like dietcoke0, then go for it! But I think it makes sense for me to start with essays first.

summeisruined

Postby summeisruined » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:40 pm

orangecup wrote:

Not the first time I read "choose C if you don't know"

Is a coincidence or there is a statistic that C appeared to be the good answer most of the time ?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:43 pm

summeisruined wrote:
orangecup wrote:

Not the first time I read "choose C if you don't know"

Is a coincidence or there is a statistic that C appeared to be the good answer most of the time ?

No statistical evidence backing that up. It's just something I heard years ago in high school, so I use it as a placeholder haha.

summeisruined

Postby summeisruined » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Ok

I'll use it then on wednesday i guess 8)

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah I'm not worried about running out of time (I never do on the practice essays, MBE sets, and not even on the NYMC). I've entered the "what if" area of strategizing that is probably typical 3 days out. 8)

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Will this be a long day for anyone else?

summeisruined

Postby summeisruined » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:55 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Will this be a long day for anyone else?

Not really

I feel like I reached my limit

I still have a lot of rules that i don't know but I fuck it, i'll see

Notmyfavbar

Postby Notmyfavbar » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm

summeisruined wrote:

Not really

haha fuck it. I completely agree. I've reached max capacity. Strictly review from here on out. But it's so hard to stick to reviewing. I just wanna watch tv :x

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote:
summeisruined wrote:

Not really

haha fuck it. I completely agree. I've reached max capacity. Strictly review from here on out. But it's so hard to stick to reviewing. I just wanna watch tv :x

Same... I feel equally panicked and bored. I still keep forgetting rules but I am burned out so it's hard to memorize them even. Arggghh.

jamesm722

Postby jamesm722 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm not going to worry about 1 or 2 nights when I've put in 700-800 hours. So no. Hell I'm taking the MA bar on Thursday and didn't even study for it. Hoping for the MBE to carry me. Can't stress about it now, if you put the work in you'll be fine.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:11 pm

freestallion wrote:
Notmyfavbar wrote:
summeisruined wrote:

Not really

Same... I feel equally panicked and bored. I still keep forgetting rules but I am burned out so it's hard to memorize them even. Arggghh.

All I'm doing is review. When I'm tired, I do a silly topic like Worker's Comp. But those Crim elements and NYP rules!
Last edited by myrtlewinston on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:13 pm

jamesm722 wrote:

I'm not going to worry about 1 or 2 nights when I've put in 700-800 hours. So no. Hell I'm taking the MA bar on Thursday and didn't even study for it. Hoping for the MBE to carry me. Can't stress about it now, if you put the work in you'll be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Not a serial killer:

Have room in a car going from NYC suburbs (flexible) to Saratoga, crappy motel room with two beds, and back to NYC suburb immediately Wed night. Looking for nominal repayment and perhaps splitting the driving. I spent most of my adulthood without a car, so I feel bad for anyone planning on grey hounding it.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”