NY July 2015 Support Group

myrtlewinston

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 pm

bear patrol wrote:Checking in with my NY people.

I'm behind the schedule for sure. Looking to make up some ground this weekend but not going overboard.

I've seen a few different posts from successful bar-takers saying they were not anywhere near completion of the Barbri assigned work. Makes me feel better when I see my assignments stack up.

It's taking me a while to outline the subjects. When do you squeeze that in? I wish our "personal study plans" could actually be personalised.

You're right about not overdoing it. This pace is not sustainable until the end of July.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Fri May 29, 2015 9:01 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
bear patrol wrote:Checking in with my NY people.

I'm behind the schedule for sure. Looking to make up some ground this weekend but not going overboard.

I've seen a few different posts from successful bar-takers saying they were not anywhere near completion of the Barbri assigned work. Makes me feel better when I see my assignments stack up.

It's taking me a while to outline the subjects. When do you squeeze that in? I wish our "personal study plans" could actually be personalised.

You're right about not overdoing it. This pace is not sustainable until the end of July.

I'm doing Kaplan, but I've been outlining the first subject (Civ Pro MBE) today a little bit since it was a relatively light day (NY Essay Workshop). I think I'll try to finish my outline tomorrow and get ~33-50 MBE questions in this weekend to catch up since I didn't do any today. It shouldn't be more than a couple hours each day, I guess so that's not terrible. I feel like the Kaplan pace is fairly unsustainable as well but I've been trying to keep up with it as much as possible.

bear patrol

Postby bear patrol » Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 pm

I typically learn better by doing questions/reading explanations instead of outlining so I've been focusing on AMP, MBE questions, and then making flashcards based on the answer explanations. Critical Pass flashcards just arrived today so I'm planning to work those into the rotation.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Fri May 29, 2015 9:28 pm

bear patrol wrote:I typically learn better by doing questions/reading explanations instead of outlining so I've been focusing on AMP, MBE questions, and then making flashcards based on the answer explanations. Critical Pass flashcards just arrived today so I'm planning to work those into the rotation.

Yeah, that may ultimately be a better use of my time. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me. Let us know how the Crit Pass flashcards are.

bmonroe

Postby bmonroe » Sat May 30, 2015 12:44 am

So I watched the NY essay workshop on... Idk? 1.5 or 1.25 speed to get it over and done with. I took a few bar prep courses and workshops during this last semester of law school so majority of it was like "duh". But because I finished the workshop a day ahead of schedule I was able to focus on contracts and use my critical pass cards.

scaliaantics

Postby scaliaantics » Sat May 30, 2015 12:22 pm

bmonroe wrote:So I watched the NY essay workshop on... Idk? 1.5 or 1.25 speed to get it over and done with. I took a few bar prep courses and workshops during this last semester of law school so majority of it was like "duh". But because I finished the workshop a day ahead of schedule I was able to focus on contracts and use my critical pass cards.

Are critical pass cards worth it?

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat May 30, 2015 3:00 pm

YES!

bmonroe

Postby bmonroe » Sat May 30, 2015 3:13 pm

scaliaantics wrote:
bmonroe wrote:So I watched the NY essay workshop on... Idk? 1.5 or 1.25 speed to get it over and done with. I took a few bar prep courses and workshops during this last semester of law school so majority of it was like "duh". But because I finished the workshop a day ahead of schedule I was able to focus on contracts and use my critical pass cards.

Are critical pass cards worth it?

YESSSSSSSSSSS

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Have any of you been assigned personal homework? I'm supposed to do the AMP on a few topics. Is it worth the time?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Have any of you been assigned personal homework? I'm supposed to do the AMP on a few topics. Is it worth the time?

I thought so. It's just more practice and doesn't take very long.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:Have any of you been assigned personal homework? I'm supposed to do the AMP on a few topics. Is it worth the time?

I thought so. It's just more practice and doesn't take very long.

I'll try it for torts then, since someone didn't provide notes.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Kaplan counterparts, how are your notes for Contracts?

jamesm722

Postby jamesm722 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm taking Pieper and the lectures are either 4 hours or 6 hours. Then they assign about 50 pages of reading and 30 questions a night on top of reviewing notes. They should just change their slogan to Pieper People Panic.

zor

Postby zor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Just got an email asking me about my test location. I see Westchester as an option... does anyone know what that location is like? My default is Javits.

Miss_Sunshine

Postby Miss_Sunshine » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Got our seating locations email. Is there any preference between Buffalo and Albany in terms of quietness/calmness/etc. of testing locations?

akarenina

Postby akarenina » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:44 pm

zor wrote:Just got an email asking me about my test location. I see Westchester as an option... does anyone know what that location is like? My default is Javits.

It's at Pace Law School. I'm from Westchester and stoked that it is an option. It will be WAY less hectic than Javits, and cheaper hotels nearby for the most part.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:09 pm

jamesm722 wrote:I'm taking Pieper and the lectures are either 4 hours or 6 hours. Then they assign about 50 pages of reading and 30 questions a night on top of reviewing notes. They should just change their slogan to Pieper People Panic.

I used Pieper last summer (and passed). Never read one of those cases that they assigned- instead I read the outline, outlined an essay or two after the lecture and spent the rest of the time drilling MBE questions (got the Strategies and Tactics book and used Adapitbar). Spent most of my time memorizing the mnemonics and making sure I understood the concepts behind it. When it came time to hone in on memorization in the last few weeks I studied primarily off the mnemonic sheets- and used my lecture outline/ books only when I was totally stumped.

By the way Pieper People Do Pass!!

bmonroe

Postby bmonroe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Miss_Sunshine wrote:Got our seating locations email. Is there any preference between Buffalo and Albany in terms of quietness/calmness/etc. of testing locations?

I picked Buffalo. I figured most of the non residents would pick Albany. I currently live in IL so either way I have to hop a plane and book a hotel.

Sidenote: what's everyone's general opinion on the AMPs? I have mixed feelings about it. Like a rich boyfriend with an ugly face :roll: Hahaha! Jk

InternationalShoe

Postby InternationalShoe » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:50 am

Has anyone bought Lean Sheets for NY? Would you recommended it? It's only $40, so not a huge investment but I don't want to be throwing money down the drain either.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:09 pm

InternationalShoe wrote:Has anyone bought Lean Sheets for NY? Would you recommended it? It's only $40, so not a huge investment but I don't want to be throwing money down the drain either.

I have. Unless you plan to cram at the last minute, don't bother.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 am

northwood wrote:
jamesm722 wrote:I'm taking Pieper and the lectures are either 4 hours or 6 hours. Then they assign about 50 pages of reading and 30 questions a night on top of reviewing notes. They should just change their slogan to Pieper People Panic.

I used Pieper last summer (and passed). Never read one of those cases that they assigned- instead I read the outline, outlined an essay or two after the lecture and spent the rest of the time drilling MBE questions (got the Strategies and Tactics book and used Adapitbar). Spent most of my time memorizing the mnemonics and making sure I understood the concepts behind it. When it came time to hone in on memorization in the last few weeks I studied primarily off the mnemonic sheets- and used my lecture outline/ books only when I was totally stumped.

By the way Pieper People Do Pass!!

Do you have any advice on learning New York Practice?

Notmyfavbar

Postby Notmyfavbar » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 am

Is anyone else struggling to finish an entire subject before moving onto the next one?

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:35 am

yes, absolutely. im finishing crim law today and didnt even do the civ pro work. but im still more complete than average.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:30 pm

My Torts essay has been graded, but the comments are not showing up. I'm using a Mac. Any suggestions? Thanks!

dj2jd

Postby dj2jd » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Checking in from New Orleans, LA. Originally from NYC. Taking the exam in Buffalo, because I have friends there, and I want to visit Ralph Wilson Stadium after the exam is over.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”