NY July 2015 Support Group

blawndeambition

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby blawndeambition » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:44 pm

texas2dclawchick wrote:
VincentGambini2yoots wrote:People at work asking every damn time they see me if I passed. Same with friends. It's not a casual thing I wanna talk about, anyone else wan throat punch people who ask them constantly?

I felt okay after ny/nj but now I feel doomed. No appetite either, how am I supposed to defend these two kids from a murder charge of I don't pass!

Yep to all of this. I like to let them know that they're tapping into an internal firestorm of anxiety, anger, helplessness, and dread; that I haven't slept very well for the past few months, waking up with nightmares that I forgot to submit my essays on ExamSoft; that I don't know if I'll have it in me to take it again; that my entire-self worth is in the hands of detached uncaring bar examiners that believe that each subsequent pool of law school graduates is getting dumber and dumber, and the creeping fear that maybe....they're.....right......

Usually at that point they laugh awkwardly and slowly back away.

I think you might be my spirit animal, because THIS! I have never felt so neurotic and concerned for my own mental health (as well as the physical safety of others) in my life! And this is coming from the girl who, as a kid, was terrified of Alf and was extra nice to her teddy bears in order to keep them from brutally murdering me in my sleep. (I had older brothers who tortured me with horror movies. Don't you judge me!)

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Fedlife wrote:
thesteelers wrote:I'm trying to plan how I'm going to control my anxiety in those crucial minutes between getting the notification that the email is in from administration@nybarexam.org and opening the PDF attachment and actually reading the PDF. I literally do not know how I'm going to open that PDF. I just don't.

Why do they attach the results in a fucking PDF anyway? How about just putting PASS or FAIL in the subject of the email, you sadists? Ugh.

you can know before opening the PDF by checnking the by the kb size of the pdf if its like 93kb you failed...if its like 32kb you passed

Awesome, thanks man.

I am drinking till midnight and re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender to take some of my anxiety off. I can't think about this. I've got a rotating list of TV shows and movies for the next four days set up now. (And since I'm living at home since bombing the February exam, I am free to indulge.) First up is Team Avatar. Next is a re-watch of Vikings. After that is Attack on Titan.

I decided not to put Breaking Bad in the rotation because watching Saul is a trigger. ("SAUL COULD PASS THE BAR EXAM! SAUL!")

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:56 pm

If I don't get fired for failing the bar, they're going to fire me for falling asleep at my desk for at least two consecutive days. How am I supposed to function as an unqualified attorney like this?

SA2014

Postby SA2014 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm geeting a bit worried. I think maybe my bosses are beginning to notice that I'm looking more t my personal smartphone rather than the firm's blackberry.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 pm

will it include the mbe score or does ny not do that?

Whyyy

Postby Whyyy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:will it include the mbe score or does ny not do that?

I believe you only get your MBE score if you fail

Starks11

Postby Starks11 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Whyyy wrote:

You get your scaled MBE score regardless. You only get your essay scores if you failed.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Starks11 wrote:
Whyyy wrote:

You get your scaled MBE score regardless. You only get your essay scores if you failed.

you really get more of your money's worth by failing.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Starks11 wrote:
Whyyy wrote:

I can confirm this. I know someone who passed 2 years ago, and it had her MBE scaled score right in the letter.

akarenina

Postby akarenina » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Virgo horoscope for month of October:

"Stand still and breathe, Virgo. The last couple months have been such a whirlwind for you—likely in the most positive of ways—but whew! It all began on August 11, when lucky Jupiter started its 13-month visit to Virgo and kicked off a huge new life chapter for you. Personal projects started popping off, or you just felt a burst of renewed confidence and conviction. Then, September 13 brought a game-changing solar eclipse in Virgo, pushing your dreams and initiatives even further off the starting block! Your life may not even resemble what it was during the first half of 2015 (and you probably won't be disappointed by that news). But the whirlwind pace could also have you feeling a bit wrung out.

[if whirlwind pace means applying to jobs to no avail and stressing over post-bar limbo... then yes, accurate depiction.^ ]

Now it's time to get grounded, to sift through some of the big ideas and opportunities and choose which ones make the most sense to follow. Although the next 11 months will still have an experimental flavor to them, you’re ready to focus a bit more. You can't follow all of your grand schemes and dreams at once, as much as you'd like to. Ready for a really big shift of perspective? The October 27 Taurus full moon could inspire you to pack your suitcase (or a backpack), as it illuminates your ninth house of travel, study and entrepreneurship."

TLDR: Post-bar exam limbo blows. Def failed. Def finding out tomorrow. It's ok bc I'll just leave the country apparently.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:01 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Starks11 wrote:
Whyyy wrote:

I can confirm this. I know someone who passed 2 years ago, and it had her MBE scaled score right in the letter.

i guess they don't give you the essay scores, because then they'd have to go back and read them.

squiggle

Postby squiggle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Long time lurker here. This was my third time taking the New York bar. I only missed passing in February by ONE point (which is the stuff nightmares are made of). I wanted to share what I've learned through this whole process:

Unlike some other states, NY does not let you challenge your bar exam score if you failed but were close. Instead, NY regrades the exams of anyone who has scored 655 to 664 after the initial grading. Maybe New York is in the process of regrading a LOT of close exams (especially given the difficulty of the MBE)? We'll never know.

If you pass, you will only receive your MBE score (but NOT your essays scores or total points). If you fail, you will receive an itemized list of your scores, including your score on each individual essay, NYMC, and MPT. Hence, the bigger pdf.

If you fail, you can request a copy of your essays, which you must pay for and which must be done within 60 days of receiving your results. The copies of the applicant’s own essay answers is $40. You can get your essay answers, the essay questions, and model answers for $70 (the essay questions and model answers will be available eventually but not when results come out).

Generally, you cannot use your MBE score again for future exams (or to waive into DC if you failed; I already looked into it)

Though the general window to apply for the February bar exam is Nov. 1-30, for re-takers in NY it can be a little different.
If you took and failed the immediately preceding examination, the deadline for re-application is the later of (1) the filing deadline above; or (2) 14 days from the date of the release of the examination results. Re-applicants who did not complete both days of the immediately preceding examination do not get the benefit of this extension.
(For the February exam, we found out on Monday, and the regular application period closed on Thursday)

If you retake the exam, the fees for NY will be the same (unlike other states where you get a discount if you take it again), and you will have to pay for ExamSoft again.

You can take Barbri again for free, and I assume many other bar preps have the same policy. I did Barbri again, but didn't watch the videos (except the new ones for Admin and Civ Pro). I also purchased a Seperac subscription, which was excellent.

Also, if you haven't started your NY character & fitness application, I would start soon. You have to get a signed AND notarized form from every legal employer you've had, including clinics and internships. It's a pain and it's mostly out of your control how quickly your past employers get back you to. You have to submit the originals of these forms (rather than scanned or faxed), so you'll have to wait for the hard copies to come back. I'm pretty sure that you have to submit your complete application, rather than pieces at a time. You'll want to get your application done ASAP, because some departments have limited spots for their first few C&F interview sessions. You won't be able to get your license until you get this application in, do your C&F interview, and get sworn in.

I hope this info helps! I know that having some understanding of the process can be useful, especially when you have to figure life out post-results (either re-taking or doing C&F) or when you're sitting around waiting for results and hating life. Here's hoping the wait is over SOON!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Hey guys, checking in here.
Good luck to us!

BarTaker

Postby BarTaker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 pm

But you can waive the MBE in some jurisdictions, like DC, and take just the Essay part, no?

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 pm

1. I forgot to put bole ID on PM MBE sheet.. the proctor said it is ok.. as long as it has my name and seat number.. hope all goes well.

2. Do someone appeal the bar exam score?? Any success?

3. pass rate is 70%?? So at least 7 in 10 people pass, as long as you are not at bottom 30%?

4. I bet 50% takers are in the neighborhood of unknown... all depending on the curve.. so the exam is NOT a good test!

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 pm

If there's no alert by now on the website (9:58pm), then it's likely not coming tonight, right?

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 pm

sd5289 wrote:If there's no alert by now on the website (9:58pm), then it's likely not coming tonight, right?

Are alerts always posted beforehand?

Andrews989

Postby Andrews989 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:15 pm

mnkybtlr

Postby mnkybtlr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Andrews989 wrote:http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202740771246/State-Bar-Exam-Results-to-Be-Released-Tuesday?rss=rss_ny&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&slreturn=20150926221430

You've got to be kidding. Someone who has a subscription to that site has to post the actual information in that article (dated tomorrow?).

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Andrews989 wrote:http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/id=1202740771246/State-Bar-Exam-Results-to-Be-Released-Tuesday?rss=rss_ny&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&slreturn=20150926221430

Save a click
The New York State Board of Law Examiners will release the results of the July 2015 bar examination Tuesday.
The board will inform test-takers and make the passage rates publicly available. The results will be posted on the Law Journal website Tuesday at about midnight and in the print edition Wednesday.
Last year, the passage rate among the 11,195 test-takers who took the test for the first time was 83 percent, down from 86 percent in the previous year.
This year, there were 11,206 applicants scheduled to take the test.
The bar examination to be administered in February will be the last before the board begins to administer the Uniform Bar Exam, which has been adopted in 15 other states. The new test will include two state-specific components that will be administered online: a "New York Law Course" and a 50-question multiple choice test.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:22 pm

wait....thats in an hour and a half!!

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 pm

victortsoi wrote:wait....thats in an hour and a half!!

Midnight Tuesday is Tuesday night.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Trustworthy?

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
victortsoi wrote:wait....thats in an hour and a half!!

Midnight Tuesday is Tuesday night.

Right. Forgive me, I'm bouncing off the walls like a lunatic because of this waiting game.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:25 pm

SemperLegal wrote:State Board of Law Examiners will release the results of the July 2015 bar examination Tuesday.
The board will inform test-takers and make the passage rates publicly available. The results will be posted on the Law Journal website Tuesday at about midnight and in the print edition Wednesday.
Last year, the passage rate among the 11,195 test-takers who took the test for the first time was 83 percent, down from 86 percent in the previous year.
This year, there were 11,206 applicants scheduled to take the test.
The bar examination to be administered in February will be the last before the board begins to administer the Uniform Bar Exam, which has been adopted in 15 other states. The new test will include two state-specific components that will be administered online: a "New York Law Course" and a 50-question multiple choice test.

As in 1.5 hours from now or as in 25.5 hours from now?! I'm not a NY taker and I'm nervous for you all.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”