NY July 2015 Support Group

trustmouse83

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby trustmouse83 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:47 am

No midnight email last night, as expected anyway I suppose.

All of my feels tell me that tonights the night. I figure the results will be released in about 20 hours time.

iwantmybar

Postby iwantmybar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:00 am

nybarpass : Same, non native english speaker as well, i'm a bit scared too because during the essays part my english became very shitty towards the end since I was in a rush...maybe the grader travelled to Europe at some point of his life and one dude brought back the wallet he lost in a park so i'll get a good grade

nybarpass

Postby nybarpass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:47 am

iwantmybar wrote:nybarpass : Same, non native english speaker as well, i'm a bit scared too because during the essays part my english became very shitty towards the end since I was in a rush...maybe the grader travelled to Europe at some point of his life and one dude brought back the wallet he lost in a park so i'll get a good grade

Heard from a friend that the grader can tell if it is a non english speaker's writing by just reading the first sentence. I was ignoring grammars while making up the answer of the last essay and simply giving all the key words and rules in phases...

iwantmybar

Postby iwantmybar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:54 am

nybarpass wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:nybarpass : Same, non native english speaker as well, i'm a bit scared too because during the essays part my english became very shitty towards the end since I was in a rush...maybe the grader travelled to Europe at some point of his life and one dude brought back the wallet he lost in a park so i'll get a good grade

Heard from a friend that the grader can tell if it is a non english speaker's writing by just reading the first sentence. I was ignoring grammars while making up the answer of the last essay and simply giving all the key words and rules in phases...

Lol yeah i did the same on the last essay about admin law.

However if the grader gets that you're not a native english speaker while reading your essay, he MIGHT grades you better.. like "oh i admire that this guy took a bar in english waouuuu, 6/10 bro'world".

Or he might be "such a shitty english and the lawyers market is already full anyway of reals americans, 1/10."

nybarpass

Postby nybarpass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:05 am

iwantmybar wrote:
nybarpass wrote:

Lol yeah i did the same on the last essay about admin law.

However if the grader gets that you're not a native english speaker while reading your essay, he MIGHT grades you better.. like "oh i admire that this guy took a bar in english waouuuu, 6/10 bro'world".

Or he might be "such a shitty english and the lawyers market is already full anyway of reals americans, 1/10."

Haha I hope the grader just finished his or her romantic date with his or her foreign girl for boyfriend, looking at our answer and think let's have more foreigners qualified as US lawyers...Though I am not sure if the grader would spend so much thinking on a single answer

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:30 am

Does anyone think BOLE will post a notice up saying that the release is imminent before they close today?
Do they not usually make an announcement a few hours before releasing the results which will presumably be released at midnight thereafter?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:35 am

There is no pre announcement

BarTaker

Postby BarTaker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 am

trustmouse83 wrote:Does anyone think BOLE will post a notice up saying that the release is imminent before they close today?
Do they not usually make an announcement a few hours before releasing the results which will presumably be released at midnight thereafter?

No, BOLE wants you to suffer! :mrgreen:

iwantmybar

Postby iwantmybar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:48 am

Danger Zone wrote:There is no pre announcement

There is one usually.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:48 am

I can still get into the "change of address" form as of 7:48am ET.

Is that an actual sign that the release is imminent, or just flame?

iwantmybar

Postby iwantmybar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:53 am

sd5289 wrote:I can still get into the "change of address" form as of 7:48am ET.

Well...you shouldnt be able to do it if it was imminent, no?

mar.star1234

Postby mar.star1234 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:54 am

Over the past 4-5 years results have been released either the same date as the previous year or a bit earlier. So relying on this tendency, it should be either 26th or 27th (as last year they were released 27th night time or the early hours of 28th). That's my logic! So my guess is either today or tomorrow. Not long to go now. Hang in there, we have waited for 3 months now, surely we can wait another 2 days even though they are the most painful ones

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:54 am

sd5289 wrote:I can still get into the "change of address" form as of 7:48am ET.

This is what i'm getting:

You have already requested a change of address on XXX.XXX.XXX(redacted by me). Your change of address is not official until it has been processed by the Board. Requests which affect seating for the bar examination may not be processed until after the bar examination has been administered. Accordingly, there may be a delay between the time your request is made and the time you receive notification from the Board that your request has been processed. Changes which affect certification to the Appellate Division for admission purposes must be received by the Board by October 15 for a July exam and April 15 for a February exam. Once you are certified for admission, any change of address MUST be made through the Appellate Division to which you were certified.

I actually had to do a change of address a few weeks ago, so i'm stuck on the default message I think.
But I do have to log in everytime to see it.

iwantmybar

Postby iwantmybar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:58 am

mar.star1234 wrote:Over the past 4-5 years results have been released either the same date as the previous year or a bit earlier. So relying on this tendency, it should be either 26th or 27th (as last year they were released 27th night time or the early hours of 28th). That's my logic! So my guess is either today or tomorrow. Not long to go now. Hang in there, we have waited for 3 months now, surely we can wait another 2 days even though they are the most painful ones

Yeah but they can't continue to release earlier and earlier, they will stop this tendency at some point because they would make an expectation each year.

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:59 am

iwantmybar wrote:
mar.star1234 wrote:Over the past 4-5 years results have been released either the same date as the previous year or a bit earlier. So relying on this tendency, it should be either 26th or 27th (as last year they were released 27th night time or the early hours of 28th). That's my logic! So my guess is either today or tomorrow. Not long to go now. Hang in there, we have waited for 3 months now, surely we can wait another 2 days even though they are the most painful ones

Yeah but they can't continue to release earlier and earlier, they will stop this tendency at some point because they would make an expectation each year.

True, but I think its well known that the number of candidates this year is significantly lower than previous July administrations.

BarTaker

Postby BarTaker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:32 am

trustmouse83 wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:

True, but I think its well known that the number of candidates this year is significantly lower than previous July administrations.

NY Bar takers by year:

July 2008: 11,176
July 2009: 11,532
July 2010: 11,557
July 2011: 11,182
July 2012: 11,734
July 2013: 11,694
July 2014: 11,195
July 2015: 10,700

Although there is a significant reduction I think that BOLE will follow the pattern of 2014. I also believe that quantity of bar takers will fall more if many decide to take the UBE in an "easier" state and transfer their results to NY. Just an opinion.

felonious monk

Postby felonious monk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:46 am

BarTaker wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:

NY Bar takers by year:

July 2008: 11,176
July 2009: 11,532
July 2010: 11,557
July 2011: 11,182
July 2012: 11,734
July 2013: 11,694
July 2014: 11,195
July 2015: 10,700

Although there is a significant reduction I think that BOLE will follow the pattern of 2014. I also believe that quantity of bar takers will fall more if many decide to take the UBE in an "easier" state and transfer their results to NY. Just an opinion.

They'll release them when marked, checked, uploaded and ready to be released - why would they hold on to them ? There is no benefit to holding off from releasing - even if the pass rate across the board is down steeply - the release is inevitable whether it be in 24 hours or 24 days...we just have to wait.

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 am

Take extra special care with everything you write today, and don't waste an opportunity to get creative. Adding a poetic, funny or whimsical attitude to your emails, text messages and other notes will make your messages more interesting and meaningful to the recipients. Do not deliver the expected 'hi, how are you doing?' right now -- that's too plain to accurately communicate what's going on in your mind, and it's not going to get anyone excited.

My horoscope is useless. No bar results today.

lspa2015

Postby lspa2015 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:40 am

BarTaker wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:
mar.star1234 wrote:

How does this work, i.e., if Alabama requires a 260 to pass and NY requires a 266, if you take it in Alabama and try to transfer to NY, don't you still need the 266? Or, are you just saying don't take it in a state that requires anything higher than the NY 266 because if you fail in that state, you won't be able to transfer to NY? Starting next July, I wouldn't think there is any advantage to taking it in another ("easier") state and transfering to NY if you want to practice in NY, but am I missing something?

The other thing about the UBE is it seems like you can't take two different state UBE tests in the same year since the essay part is always Tuesdays.

starryski

Postby starryski » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 am

i totally failed. i know it.

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:54 am

starryski wrote:i totally failed. i know it.

Head up, Chum.
You don't know that for sure. One thing, one absolute constant that I have seen over the past few years with this exam, is that the great majority of people who are convinced that they failed usually pass. So you'll be fine i'm sure.
If you went to an ABA accredited law school then your odds are even better than that, probably over 80%.

I'm spending my day rueing not spending more time on civil procedure for the MBE. I was doing well in adaptibar on the practice tests, comfortably passing, but I only gave that subject a little of my time. I just hope I made up enough ground in the other subjects to cover my ass.

momarr1979

Postby momarr1979 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 am

Hi All, I've been lurking around this site for the past few days. Reading all the posts have certainly been cathartic in a way.
I'm foreign educated and took the test for the second time in July. In my first attempt, I screwed up on the MBE (126) & unbelievably the MPT (a disgraceful 29) The only reason why I chose to resit was that the rest of my essays where in the 50 -61 bracket, so I know the information is there somewhere!!
This time on all the practice runs I was getting 125-130 raw in the MBE and I didn't neglect looking over the MPT. My handwriting has also been politely described as "offensive" so I opted to type this time out. These three differences are my hope.
Anyway that's me, I've nothing else to offer. Not sure if I can can stomach another try if I don't get it this time, though having said that if I was to fail by a few points, it would be hard not to.
Best of luck everyone!!

(PS, i'm actively considering logging off email and just checking in here for updates on the results - at least then I have 5 minutes to prepare. Last time the email came as a surprise. You really want to open your results away from and certainly out of earshot of people)

texas2dclawchick

Postby texas2dclawchick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 am

Long time lurker here; had an old TLS account but I guess it got deactivated.

I have a question for all of you, since it seems that many ran out of time. What about those who had time left over? I've been mulling over this in my head since July. Did I miss too much? I particularly remember whizzing through the MBE questions and now I'm really, really worried that I just didn't think hard enough about the issues. Anyone have experience like this? Give me your infinite wisdom TLSers.

Also- I'm loving the nutty horoscope checks. Glad to know I'm not the only one losing sleep.

TheTraveler

Postby TheTraveler » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:09 am

Just asked my Magic 8 Ball if I passed. Received the answer: "my sources say no."

FML... :cry:

clarion

Postby clarion » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:15 am

texas2dclawchick wrote:Long time lurker here; had an old TLS account but I guess it got deactivated.

I have a question for all of you, since it seems that many ran out of time. What about those who had time left over? I've been mulling over this in my head since July. Did I miss too much? I particularly remember whizzing through the MBE questions and now I'm really, really worried that I just didn't think hard enough about the issues. Anyone have experience like this? Give me your infinite wisdom TLSers.

Also- I'm loving the nutty horoscope checks. Glad to know I'm not the only one losing sleep.

I can't evaluate your performance, but I wouldn't fret too much about it. I too had a good deal of time left over after the second MBE session, and after reviewing the handful of questions that I'd circled (were ruining my life), I figured 'twas better to leave early than actually to go insane by spending any more time on it. I just like to think it's because some people are more decisive than others. It's totally possible that we unnecessarily missed a point here or there, but that's the nature of the beast, imo. It's also totally possible that we gained a point or two by going with our gut rather than mulling over minutia. If I fail, maybe I'll have a slightly different response for you :p

At the end of the day, nothing we can do about it now. Good luck!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”