Postby comet_halley » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:14 pm

bobbackington wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:
comet_halley wrote:
trustmouse83 wrote:
iwantmybar wrote:god, you're such a vet' of this bar exam

I know it!

5th time the charm?!

I just wonder whether the NY bar was that important to you.

It seems to me it is not worthwhile to spend so much time and energy on this exam.

Seems to me it's not your concern.

He's a mere pup compared to the Californian guy who sat it 43 times (from that Bar Exam documentary)

BarMax specializes in dealing with multiple re-takers perhaps you should look at them. Joe Seperac is also a guy to have discussions with if you need to resit.

I know I didn't do enough. I'm aiming for the UBE in July now as here in the West it's more transferable (I have a foreign law degree so am unable to sit other Bars but New York under the traditional route.)

I am starting studying now. If I Miracle on Ice it and pass then great but I highly doubt it. I'm learning where I went wrong in study and applying it to the next time.

If you're a five time resitter then if you fail again you need to seriously review how you study and how much time you are prepared to set aside. February probably isn't going to work for you. If you fail then I'd pencil in July and sort a study schedule out now.

Yeah, NY will adopt UBE next summer. If anyone have to take next Feb NY bar. I would suggest take UBE in an easy state.

In that way, first, it will be more easy to pass in some states than NY, some states only requires a 260 UBE.
Second if your grade is greater than 266, you can transfer it to NY.
Third, you may have a more portable bar exam than NY bar, just in case you may want to practice in other UBE states.

starryski

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Postby starryski » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:32 pm

i put the wrong number the MPT booklet. i think i was supposed to put my seat # but i put my BOLE number. is this going to affect anything?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 pm

starryski wrote:i put the wrong number the MPT booklet. i think i was supposed to put my seat # but i put my BOLE number. is this going to affect anything?

AUTO FAIL

nyny

Postby nyny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
starryski wrote:i put the wrong number the MPT booklet. i think i was supposed to put my seat # but i put my BOLE number. is this going to affect anything?

AUTO FAIL

Lol he trolling... doesn't all of your booklets get picked up together... You will be fine

Fedlife

Postby Fedlife » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:24 pm

nyny wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

AUTO FAIL

Lol he trolling... doesn't all of your booklets get picked up together... You will be fine

happened to me to, they said they will still be able to find me

Fedlife

Postby Fedlife » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:29 pm

^ excuse the bad grammar above, I've been super stressed out about these results....still not sure why we have to wait 3 months for our scores? It's not fair...

Fedlife

Postby Fedlife » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Starks11 wrote:Okay, essays -- without getting too into the particulars. Here's one thing that's been bothering me: on essay 1, sub-question 1, did you reach different conclusions for the two plots of land? With the exception of timing, I thought the analysis was essentially the same for both plots, but if that's actually the case, I don't know why they would have asked us about each separately.

Nope, they weren't...

bobbackington

Postby bobbackington » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Fedlife wrote:^ excuse the bad grammar above, I've been super stressed out about these results....still not sure why we have to wait 3 months for our scores? It's not fair...

http://seperac.com

Look at the figures released over the last twenty years on his
post reviewing Bar Stats. States like Oregon had as many people take the bar exam in 20 years as New York has in one sitting.

In fact there were probably as many in the Buffalo Convention Center in July alone as some states have in a decade. That's why.

sledge

Postby sledge » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:39 pm

bobbackington wrote:
Fedlife wrote:^ excuse the bad grammar above, I've been super stressed out about these results....still not sure why we have to wait 3 months for our scores? It's not fair...

post reviewing Bar Stats. States like Oregon had as many people take the bar exam in 20 years as New York has in one sitting.

In fact there were probably as many in the Buffalo Convention Center in July alone as some states have in a decade. That's why.

Sorry but that's not a good excuse. They can easily hire more graders to get it done faster and more staff to input the grades. There is no reason why we should spend a quarter of a year waiting for results.

Fedlife

Postby Fedlife » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:48 pm

sledge wrote:
bobbackington wrote:

Sorry but that's not a good excuse. They can easily hire more graders to get it done faster and more staff to input the grades. There is no reason why we should spend a quarter of a year waiting for results.

^I completely agree with you, I can order my groceries for delivery to my house in less than two hours, but I have to wait four freaking months for a test score...shocked the greedy New York Bar Administration hasn't implemented express grading where for $500 extra you can get your score in six weeks...now I that I may pay for

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Fedlife wrote:
Starks11 wrote:Okay, essays -- without getting too into the particulars. Here's one thing that's been bothering me: on essay 1, sub-question 1, did you reach different conclusions for the two plots of land? With the exception of timing, I thought the analysis was essentially the same for both plots, but if that's actually the case, I don't know why they would have asked us about each separately.

Nope, they weren't...

Approached it the same. How many points you think that cost?

trustmouse83

Postby trustmouse83 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Let's assume the MBE is graded instantly because scantron. There's still 11k or thereabouts to do. Same for the NYMC.

Each candidate writes 5 essays and an MPT. Multiply that by 11k, divide by how many graders we think there are.... And so on.

Someone who's not a fucking idiot like myself can do the math. I get why it takes so long. I don't like it much either, but i get it.

imalreadyamember?

Postby imalreadyamember? » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 pm

trustmouse83 wrote:Let's assume the MBE is graded instantly because scantron. There's still 11k or thereabouts to do. Same for the NYMC.

Each candidate writes 5 essays and an MPT. Multiply that by 11k, divide by how many graders we think there are.... And so on.

Someone who's not a fucking idiot like myself can do the math. I get why it takes so long. I don't like it much either, but i get it.

This is true. We could have it a lot worse, guys. Michigan just came out this week and there's no way they had as many people as we did. And it's not like the graders do it as a full-time job or something, right?

I would rather they take their time instead of rushing through essay grading. Think about the work and stress that goes into studying and writing the essays, and they already say the grader has time to basically skim it. If they were even more rushed, what would they do? Read the topic sentence of every paragraph and that's it?

Sucks but we're almost there. Breathe.

ovxsny27

Postby ovxsny27 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Fedlife wrote:

Nope, they weren't...

I have to disagree, they seemed pretty damn similar vis-a-vis adverse possession analysis. FWIW, I said he had claim to both.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:27 pm

ovxsny27 wrote:
Fedlife wrote:

Nope, they weren't...

I have to disagree, they seemed pretty damn similar vis-a-vis adverse possession analysis. FWIW, I said he had claim to both.

There was a very tiny, very obscure ny distinction that made the conclusion different. I forget what it was at this point but I know that I made quite a few of those kinds of errors on the exam. How hard is it to get a 55 on the essays, really?

imalreadyamember?

Postby imalreadyamember? » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:27 pm

ovxsny27 wrote:
Fedlife wrote:

Nope, they weren't...

Dudes, I really think you're getting too specific with this discussion. Be careful.

lucilledeux

Postby lucilledeux » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:36 pm

victortsoi wrote:
ovxsny27 wrote:
Fedlife wrote:

Nope, they weren't...

There was a very tiny, very obscure ny distinction that made the conclusion different. I forget what it was at this point but I know that I made quite a few of those kinds of errors on the exam. How hard is it to get a 55 on the essays, really?

Shit. Didn't even know that. I think I gave an incomplete rule statement for the first DR issue, completely forgot the NY distinction on the torts question and screwed up the rest of the questions on that essay besides the last one, and botched the con law + crim aspects of the admin question. Of course I messed up minor things across all the essays. How screwed am I?

Starks11

Postby Starks11 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:37 pm

At what point are we allowed to talk openly about essay questions? Do they release the questions and the model answers when they release the test results?

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I dont know how any of you can still remember intricacies of the exam. I remember next to nothing. The only thing I know for certain is that I'm doomed.

Fedlife

Postby Fedlife » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:50 pm

victortsoi wrote:
ovxsny27 wrote:
Fedlife wrote:

Nope, they weren't...

^I can't remember either, but i feel like there was something slightly different about the second question...

TheTraveler

Postby TheTraveler » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:54 pm

imalreadyamember? wrote:
sledge wrote:If you want to avoid seeing the file size before reading the contents of the pdf attachment, just use a piece of paper or a book to cover the top of the pdf before clicking on the attachment. This could soften the blow if you failed. Otherwise you may be crushed before even reading the letter.

Honestly I'm probably going to forget which is which, figure that the fail email is obviously going to be the smaller size, and when I get the email I'll either (1) be elated then crushed; (2) be crushed then elated; or (3) be confused and realize I should just open the damn thing and quit being such a law student about it.

File sizes guys.

Feel for the person whose results letter they accidently scan in color.

tiau1424

Postby tiau1424 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:05 pm

TheTraveler wrote: Feel for the person whose results letter they accidently scan in color.

hahaha

Nybar2015

Postby Nybar2015 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Fedlife wrote:
victortsoi wrote:
ovxsny27 wrote:
Fedlife wrote:

Nope, they weren't...

^I can't remember either, but i feel like there was something slightly different about the second question...

Deleted.,........
Last edited by Nybar2015 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Starks11 wrote:At what point are we allowed to talk openly about essay questions? Do they release the questions and the model answers when they release the test results?

You're not ever allowed to on these fora: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=214515

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Starks11 wrote:At what point are we allowed to talk openly about essay questions? Do they release the questions and the model answers when they release the test results?

If the exams and their answers ever get released, you can discuss them then. Until that point, stop discussing questions and answers here.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”