NY July 2015 Support Group Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nyny

Bronze

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Post by nyny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
phildunphy wrote:I have space for either Evidence or Wills & Estates for the fall. Which will be more useful when studying for the NY Bar? As in, which subject will be more of a pain in the ass to learn in 2 months? Or is there another course entirely I should consider that will be more useful than both? Thanks!
Take evidence
Truth be told I would recommend taking both, but the Wills that is taught in law school is a very general wills, common law approach. The Wills taught for the ny bar is heavily New York Specific... so out of all the stuff learned in Wills only about 30-40 percent of it is needed for the bar, but that 30-40 percent is highly specific and detailed. For example in your wills class you may take an entire class or the bulk of a class to learn holographic wills, then come to find out on the NY bar, all that you need to know about holographic wills is what it is, and NY does not allow holographic wills, every will must be duly executed.

So yea, between the two I would go with evidence... The evidence you will learn in class is just about the same you will need for the bar, except a few NY distinctions. But having to learn and master hear say and all of its exceptions in a few days before moving on to the next subject will be a pain the the "u know what."
Last edited by nyny on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teeshtee

New

Post by teeshtee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:55 pm

nyny wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
phildunphy wrote:I have space for either Evidence or Wills & Estates for the fall. Which will be more useful when studying for the NY Bar? As in, which subject will be more of a pain in the ass to learn in 2 months? Or is there another course entirely I should consider that will be more useful than both? Thanks!
Take evidence
Truth be told I would recommend taking both, but the Wills that is thought in law school is a very general wills, common law approach. The Wills thought for the ny bar is heavily New York Specific... so out of all the stuff learned in Wills only about 30-40 percent of it is needed for the bar, but that 30-40 percent is highly specific and detailed. For example in your wills class you may take an entire class or the bulk of a class to learn holographic wills, then come to find out on the NY bar, all that you need to know about holographic wills is what it is, and NY does not allow holographic wills, every will must be duly executed.

So yea, between the two I would go with evidence... The evidence you will learn in class is just about the same you will need for the bar, except a few NY distinctions. But having to learn and master hear say and all of its exceptions in a few days before moving on to the next subject will be a pain the the "u know what."
There are other law schools in NY, and the NY law school I attended taught NY specific Wills.

phildunphy

New

Post by phildunphy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:09 pm

I don't go to law school in NY, but this was helpful nonetheless. Evidence it is. Thanks!

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:28 pm

teeshtee wrote:
nyny wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Take evidence
Truth be told I would recommend taking both, but the Wills that is thought in law school is a very general wills, common law approach. The Wills thought for the ny bar is heavily New York Specific... so out of all the stuff learned in Wills only about 30-40 percent of it is needed for the bar, but that 30-40 percent is highly specific and detailed. For example in your wills class you may take an entire class or the bulk of a class to learn holographic wills, then come to find out on the NY bar, all that you need to know about holographic wills is what it is, and NY does not allow holographic wills, every will must be duly executed.

There are other law schools in NY, and the NY law school I attended taught NY specific Wills.
Obviously there are other law schools in NY. My school also had a more ny specific wills class... But the general 4 credit wills, trusts and estates course was a prerequisite for the more specific wills course. Every school is different, it is what it is. In my opinion if I had to choose between the two I would go with evidence.

teeshtee

New

Post by teeshtee » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:24 pm

nyny wrote:
teeshtee wrote:
nyny wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Take evidence

Obviously there are other law schools in NY. My school also had a more ny specific wills class... But the general 4 credit wills, trusts and estates course was a prerequisite for the more specific wills course. Every school is different, it is what it is. In my opinion if I had to choose between the two I would go with evidence.
Exactly, "every school is different," so your earlier statement that I quoted, "the Wills that is thought (?) in law school is a very general wills," is completely misleading. That's why I made my post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:01 pm

teeshtee wrote:
nyny wrote:
teeshtee wrote:
nyny wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Take evidence

Exactly, "every school is different," so your earlier statement that I quoted, "the Wills that is thought (?) in law school is a very general wills," is completely misleading. That's why I made my post.
*"taught"... and fair enough.

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Evidence because it's fun to take and because the federal rules are actually on the bar. Trusts/Wills are state-specific so your class won't necessarily help you. Generally, though, I don't advise taking classes just because they're on the bar. What you learn for the bar will vary state-to-state.

stronitsing

New

Post by stronitsing » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:57 pm

teeshtee wrote:
nyny wrote:
teeshtee wrote:
nyny wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Take evidence

No. The comment was actually pretty spot on for most schools. Your typical wills course will follow common law much closer than NY specific rules. Sounds like your TTTT was an exception rather than the rule.

Onetimebaby

New

Post by Onetimebaby » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Anyone have NY bar outline books for rent or sell. I took UBE bar in July with Themis. I am not particular about the bar review that you may have to offer, but just looking for something published this year. I will post this in the various NY threads. Anyone interested please message me. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:43 pm

NY peeps, how are you guys holding up?!!! About 40 or so more days left before the results come out.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:36 pm

nyny wrote:NY peeps, how are you guys holding up?!!! About 40 or so more days left before the results come out.
So far, okay, but work has had me busy enough during the day that I don't really think about it until I'm home at night (hence my TLS activity is strictly nocturnal).

I don't know. I'm seeing the MBE scores coming in thinking "okay, I guess we're okay," but there's that ever present feeling of "but I could have fucked it up." Guessing it'll get more neurotic when we're a few days out as opposed to over a month.

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:47 pm

sd5289 wrote:
nyny wrote:NY peeps, how are you guys holding up?!!! About 40 or so more days left before the results come out.
So far, okay, but work has had me busy enough during the day that I don't really think about it until I'm home at night (hence my TLS activity is strictly nocturnal).

I don't know. I'm seeing the MBE scores coming in thinking "okay, I guess we're okay," but there's that ever present feeling of "but I could have fucked it up." Guessing it'll get more neurotic when we're a few days out as opposed to over a month.
I'm also seeing those MBE scores and from the chart thats being updated it looks pretty good. But the average is in the 150s for TLS and I think the mean MBE is usually in the low 140s. Its clear to say your average poster on TLS is scores higher than the non poster.

Truth be told passing the NY Bar really hinges on the NY day when 60% of the grade is up for grabs. I know a lot of people who passed the bar with 130s and under on the MBE. They must have obviously did a good job on the NY day... I felt good coming out of the NY day and looked up my essay answers... but the wait is killing me

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:55 pm

nyny wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I'm also seeing those MBE scores and from the chart thats being updated it looks pretty good. But the average is in the 150s for TLS and I think the mean MBE is usually in the low 140s. Its clear to say your average poster on TLS is scores higher than the non poster.

Truth be told passing the NY Bar really hinges on the NY day when 60% of the grade is up for grabs. I know a lot of people who passed the bar with 130s and under on the MBE. They must have obviously did a good job on the NY day... I felt good coming out of the NY day and looked up my essay answers... but the wait is killing me
Wait, you can look up the NY essays already?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:10 pm

sd5289 wrote:
nyny wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

Wait, you can look up the NY essays already?
No not yet, but I replay the questions in my head lol!

marztri

New

Post by marztri » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:28 pm

It's like living in an alternative universe some days .... The waiting... I'm a repeater so I am anxious to know this time as I felt I did so much better than the 1st time,but does one ever really know with this exam. And others say " just don't think about it, because nothing you can do now"..... If only it was that easy. When the results came out last April. It was Monday April 27th..... It was like bam! That's what will happen again. No word of warning. Hang onto your seats and good luck everyone. It's a testing time.

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:42 pm

marztri wrote:
It's like living in an alternative universe some days .... The waiting... I'm a repeater so I am anxious to know this time as I felt I did so much better than the 1st time,but does one ever really know with this exam. And others say " just don't think about it, because nothing you can do now"..... If only it was that easy. When the results came out last April. It was Monday April 27th..... It was like bam! That's what will happen again. No word of warning. Hang onto your seats and good luck everyone. It's a testing time.
I'm a repeater as well, and last time I did not fail by much... just 12 points, mainly because of a bad MPT... I feel like I did significantly better than last time, and I finished every section, kind of comfortably and knew just about every issue cold...

i have a feeling the results are going to come earlier this time around because i think their were fewer takers in NY this time around also, in comparison to last july.

marztri

New

Post by marztri » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:51 pm

nyny wrote:
marztri wrote:
I'm a repeater as well, and last time I did not fail by much... just 12 points, mainly because of a bad MPT... I feel like I did significantly better than last time, and I finished every section, kind of comfortably and knew just about every issue cold...

i have a feeling the results are going to come earlier this time around because i think their were fewer takers in NY this time around also, in comparison to last july.

My MPT in Feb wasn't great either. Sounds like you nailed it this time. I am worried about not being as worried because you just don't know. How many takers were there this year compare to last? There were just under 4,000 in Feb and they released on April 27

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:22 pm

marztri wrote:
nyny wrote:
marztri wrote:

My MPT in Feb wasn't great either. Sounds like you nailed it this time. I am worried about not being as worried because you just don't know. How many takers were there this year compare to last? There were just under 4,000 in Feb and they released on April 27
No I'm worried!!! Very worried and nervous, hence why I visit TSL, lol!! The slightest doubt drives me nuts. But I don't know exactly how many takers there were this July, but heard from someone that it was unusually less... I just took it at face value.

marztri

New

Post by marztri » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:15 am

nyny wrote:
marztri wrote:
nyny wrote:
marztri wrote:

No I'm worried!!! Very worried and nervous, hence why I visit TSL, lol!! The slightest doubt drives me nuts. But I don't know exactly how many takers there were this July, but heard from someone that it was unusually less... I just took it at face value.
Ha me too. I visit the site daily just to see that I am not going mad, at least not alone anyway. It's such a nerve racking experience. Hopefully we both passed.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:00 am

marztri wrote:
nyny wrote:
marztri wrote:

July 2014 was released on October 27th.
July 2013 was released on October 30th.

I have also heard that there were a lot less candidates in 2015, so I too feel like we might see them earlier than the 27th even.

This year the 23rd is a Friday, so they wont come over the weekend, so most likey if not the 23rd, then the week commencing Monday the 26th.

Just my thoughts.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:33 am

zor wrote:
Evidence because it's fun to take and because the federal rules are actually on the bar. Trusts/Wills are state-specific so your class won't necessarily help you. Generally, though, I don't advise taking classes just because they're on the bar. What you learn for the bar will vary state-to-state.
take both. evidence is important for the bar. wills is kinda tricky in my opinion. i took it during the summer (1 out of 2 classes) and I did really well because i really focused on it. I was so happy i took it the summer before the bar, and enjoyed it, because all the concepts and rules came back to me easily during bar prep. (took pieper, he spent like 4 hours on it) had i not taken it, i really doubt i would have retained anything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:34 am

Did the ny bar have a character limit? My friend told me her bar in another state did, which shocked me and made me very, very worried! I had a very you can only gain points approach, and there's no way I passed if we did! :-(

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:44 am

AReasonableMan wrote:Did the ny bar have a character limit? My friend told me her bar in another state did, which shocked me and made me very, very worried! I had a very you can only gain points approach, and there's no way I passed if we did! :-(
Dude

No
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Did the ny bar have a character limit? My friend told me her bar in another state did, which shocked me and made me very, very worried! I had a very you can only gain points approach, and there's no way I passed if we did! :-(
Dude

No
Not to mention the people on this forum talking about word limits said ExamSoft stopped them from typing once they'd reached it.

Also, I don't know how anyone could type enough to even come close to a word limit.

nyny

Bronze

Post by nyny » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:35 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Dude

No
Not to mention the people on this forum talking about word limits said ExamSoft stopped them from typing once they'd reached it.

Also, I don't know how anyone could type enough to even come close to a word limit.
Exactly, plus some of the issues seemed minor, where you could answer them with a couple sentences rule statement, and a couple sentences in rule application.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”