NY July 2015 Support Group Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AReasonableMan

Gold

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Post by AReasonableMan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:17 am

Started way too late, and have been playing catch up. I'd really like to be over 70 percent on all 7 MBE subjecrs so was going to focus on that.

With regards to New York, on what sections are more than a conversation level knowledge required? I did videos on PR and administrative law, and feel they won't be big topics but that's just a feeling.

Is it corps, agency, ny practice and wills? Is this where I should devote days? Which is most important? Thanks!

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:01 am

All of the MBE topics, but swap Civil Procedure for NY Practice.

Then, Corps, Domestic relations, Wills, and professional responsability.

Anything outside of that will likely not be hit very hard, except in NY multiple choice.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Who is physically present in NY?

scaliaantics

Bronze

Post by scaliaantics » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 am

Does anyone have short outlines for the NY state specific topics?

adevine39

New

Post by adevine39 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:31 am

myrtlewinston wrote:Who is physically present in NY?
I'm churning away in Brooklyn every day. You going to the in person MBE simulation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:11 am

scaliaantics wrote:Does anyone have short outlines for the NY state specific topics?
Lean sheets
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:17 pm

adevine39 wrote:
I'm churning away in Brooklyn every day. You going to the in person MBE simulation?
No. And you?

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
scaliaantics wrote:Does anyone have short outlines for the NY state specific topics?
Lean sheets

lean sheets vs. smartbarprep outlines. obviously the price is such a critical factor.. but anyone have a pref? I haven't used either so i can't really compare the two but def need something since my ass is so effin behind. :)

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:44 pm

I can only attest to lean sheets because that's what I bought but they will serve extremely well on the essays. Seems a little too condensed for MBE help but I haven't looked at it too closely yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

adevine39

New

Post by adevine39 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:10 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
adevine39 wrote:
No. And you?
I'm going to drag myself down there, if for no other reason than it gives me a great excuse to not go to work that day. It should be a good test of nerves/in person testing, etc. as well.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:34 pm

for anyone else doing Themis, wtf is up with their "final outline" for NY CPLR?? it's like 54 pages...

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:36 pm

adevine39 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
adevine39 wrote:
No. And you?
I'm going to drag myself down there, if for no other reason than it gives me a great excuse to not go to work that day. It should be a good test of nerves/in person testing, etc. as well.
I did take into account that it'd be a good trial run, but Barbri's questions are whacky. :-)

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Lean sheets

lean sheets vs. smartbarprep outlines. obviously the price is such a critical factor.. but anyone have a pref? I haven't used either so i can't really compare the two but def need something since my ass is so effin behind. :)
I have both. For the NY subjects, I prefer SmartBarPrep. The outlines are in full sentences, which helps with essay writing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Soo... about this Barbri NY simulated half day thing... Um... spent all this time catching up on property and con law (yayyy) that I'm basically going to be walking into this crap for shits and giggles.

Also, my catch up session today included doing 1 property MPQ set, Con law diagnostic test, 2 Con law MPQs :? and I'm sitting here wondering how some ppl do a 100 questions a day because just doing my 79 questions took me hours! and i still have overdue question sets :evil:

does anyone else yell at the book when they're doing property questions? haha maybe it's just me.

jamesm722

New

Post by jamesm722 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Are there any free audio lectures that cover MBE or NY law? I'm going to miss 2 days of studying because of a sudden death in the family. I have about 15 hours to driving ahead of me tomorrow morning and then 15 back on Tuesday after the funeral.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote:Soo... about this Barbri NY simulated half day thing... Um... spent all this time catching up on property and con law (yayyy) that I'm basically going to be walking into this crap for shits and giggles.

Also, my catch up session today included doing 1 property MPQ set, Con law diagnostic test, 2 Con law MPQs :? and I'm sitting here wondering how some ppl do a 100 questions a day because just doing my 79 questions took me hours! and i still have overdue question sets :evil:

does anyone else yell at the book when they're doing property questions? haha maybe it's just me.
79 questions? you mean your 4 mpqs of 72?

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:22 pm

victortsoi wrote:
Notmyfavbar wrote:Soo... about this Barbri NY simulated half day thing... Um... spent all this time catching up on property and con law (yayyy) that I'm basically going to be walking into this crap for shits and giggles.

79 questions? you mean your 4 mpqs of 72?

hah yes. i thought for some reason that the diagnostic was 25 questions. idk. either way, it took me ages to do the questions and go through the explanations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:30 pm

jamesm722 wrote:Are there any free audio lectures that cover MBE or NY law? I'm going to miss 2 days of studying because of a sudden death in the family. I have about 15 hours to driving ahead of me tomorrow morning and then 15 back on Tuesday after the funeral.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Are you taking barbri? If so, then you can listen to their lectures on their app. (I used this when I had a family things come up and wasn't able to study). Also, I just searched on my iphone for podcasts and they have a few bar exam podcasts, but they may just be related to preparing for the exam and strategies. I was able to find a podcast for contracts in a nutshell. I'm assuming they have other subjects as well. I'm sure that worst case scenario, this would be better than nothing.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:52 pm

another option if you're not doing barbri would be to record a lecture you play while sleeping on garage band and burn it onto a cd assuming you're allowed to do this under the terms and conditions of your agreement with your bar company. i'm sure you can call and ask for permission.

scaliaantics

Bronze

Post by scaliaantics » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:01 am

I'm the same way today. I haven't done any of the NY Specific stuff. I've just spent my time focusing on MBE Subjects (and am only halfway ready with those). I don't know how I'm supposed to learn the NY Specific stuff too.

trustmouse83

Bronze

Post by trustmouse83 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:44 am

I paid for Lean Sheets in 2013, and I have emailed the company twice now asking nicely for the Civ Pro materials that they now provide. They haven't responded to me at all.
If anyone can help me out I would appreciate a PM.

Thanks.

*edit: I hope this request isn't breaking any rules, I believe as I have already purchased these materials that it won't. Apologies in advance if this is frowned upon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Anyone feel that the the sample answers that NY gives out often has just plain wrong info, and superfluous responses? I know not every answer is going to be perfect, but when the two answers have conflicting info, and aren't always answering the questions given, I find it a little confusing. Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Even the 11 page barbri cmr for ny mortgages is making me want to cry. Does anyone have anything more sharp and to the point?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:08 pm

victortsoi wrote:Even the 11 page barbri cmr for ny mortgages is making me want to cry. Does anyone have anything more sharp and to the point?
Lean sheets

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 pm

anyone taking the Barbri simulated half-day local exam:

On 2(b): For Ed's motion for summary judgment w/r/t swinging a shovel at Nora....

Am I just missing something, but the model answer they provide seems to recite the MBE standards of assault (reasonable apprehension...). Whereas in lecture & CMR, we were told that assault requires the victim to have suffered physical injury (and is basically battery) whereas "creating the reasonable apprehension..." is criminal menacing instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”