NY July 2015 Support Group Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jamesm722

New

Re: NY July 2015 Support Group

Post by jamesm722 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 am

Instead of worrying about grading, which you can't control, just focus on doing well/your best. Whether you understand the grading or not doesn't affect your score. Plus you'll just waste time and energy worrying about a grading system that you could spend studying for the essays.

xfer2013

New

Post by xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:42 am

Just did Agency question 1. I completely blanked on "letters of administration." Literally had no idea what it was. Its cool though--I made up some bullshit rule and applied it and got a couple of points.

Anyone else have this experience?

HLBE689

New

Post by HLBE689 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:14 am

Question for anyone able to answer - I know that at common law, a felon could not be liable for felony murder if it was a co-felon who was killed. Is this same rule applied in NY? I can't find the answer to this in the NY distinctions unless I am totally overlooking it.

xfer2013

New

Post by xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 am

HLBE689 wrote:Question for anyone able to answer - I know that at common law, a felon could not be liable for felony murder if it was a co-felon who was killed. Is this same rule applied in NY? I can't find the answer to this in the NY distinctions unless I am totally overlooking it.
NY follows the common law rule. From the NY Penal Law:

[D commits felony murder if] acting either alone or with one or more other persons, he commits or attempts to commit robbery, burglary, kidnapping [etc....] and, in the course of and in furtherance of such crime or of immediate flight therefrom, he [...] causes the death of a person other than one of the participants.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:12 pm

xfer2013 wrote:Just did Agency question 1. I completely blanked on "letters of administration." Literally had no idea what it was. Its cool though--I made up some bullshit rule and applied it and got a couple of points.

Anyone else have this experience?
I "memorized" the bare bones of Admin yesterday and still don't know what that means.... I honestly feel like I'm going to have to punt Admin, go with my basic knowledge, and hope for the best. I feel like most people won't be super prepared for it given it's new-ness.
HLBE689 wrote:Question for anyone able to answer - I know that at common law, a felon could not be liable for felony murder if it was a co-felon who was killed. Is this same rule applied in NY? I can't find the answer to this in the NY distinctions unless I am totally overlooking it.
NY applies the Redline limitation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ahyis

New

Post by Ahyis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:38 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I predict that there will be an administrative law essay. If anyone has ideas about what they think will be tested I'm all ears.

I can imagine:
1. issue involves open meetings law
2. issue involves FOIL
3. issue involves 4th amendment rights and agency, possibly a heavily regulated business****

***=most likely

Would be interested to hear from others their ideas.
I was actually leaning toward adjudicative proceedings since those are ripe for all kinds of due process and evidentiary issues.
Based on EVERY SINGLE Themis Admin law essay I've done, literally the only thing tested is judicial review of an Article 78 hearing.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Ahyis wrote: Based on EVERY SINGLE Themis Admin law essay I've done, literally the only thing tested is judicial review of an Article 78 hearing.
So basically.... absolutely nothing new from NY CPLR?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Ahyis wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I predict that there will be an administrative law essay. If anyone has ideas about what they think will be tested I'm all ears.

I can imagine:
2. issue involves FOIL
3. issue involves 4th amendment rights and agency, possibly a heavily regulated business****

***=most likely

I was actually leaning toward adjudicative proceedings since those are ripe for all kinds of due process and evidentiary issues.
Based on EVERY SINGLE Themis Admin law essay I've done, literally the only thing tested is judicial review of an Article 78 hearing.
I'm doing Themis too, but am now going through the past exams and answers to see what they've actually tested on in the past (though as we all know, that doesn't mean they will necessarily do so this time).

Ahyis

New

Post by Ahyis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:28 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Ahyis wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I can imagine:
2. issue involves FOIL

***=most likely

I'm doing Themis too, but am now going through the past exams and answers to see what they've actually tested on in the past (though as we all know, that doesn't mean they will necessarily do so this time).
Well, my understanding is that there has never been an admin law question on the essays to date - they only introduced it starting with this past February exam, remember.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:29 pm

What are we supposed to do during the lunch break?
I just saw it is from 12:15-2pm
and we can't bring in notes or our phones or anything not in 1 gallon zip lock bag
Am I crazy or does this seem like a lot of time?

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:31 pm

buy a pack of smokes and see how many you can get through

:shock:

xfer2013

New

Post by xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Just got an email from BOLE referencing the seating ticket and saying to print it. Where to I access the seating ticket?

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:49 pm

xfer2013 wrote:Just got an email from BOLE referencing the seating ticket and saying to print it. Where to I access the seating ticket?
They sent an email on July 14 : "July 2015 NYS Bar Examination Seat Ticket"

Follow the link at the bottom, enter the info, and it'll send you a PDF of the ticket in email

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xfer2013

New

Post by xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:00 pm

orangecup wrote:
xfer2013 wrote:Just got an email from BOLE referencing the seating ticket and saying to print it. Where to I access the seating ticket?
They sent an email on July 14 : "July 2015 NYS Bar Examination Seat Ticket"

Follow the link at the bottom, enter the info, and it'll send you a PDF of the ticket in email
got it, thx.

summeisruined

New

Post by summeisruined » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Hello

Any advices to prepare civil procedure on the MBE correctly ? Because questions on adaptibar are really hard, i don't even understand them but the questions released by NCBE seem quite easy on the other hands.

Any feb takers that could give an insight?

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Does anyone have a sense of what we have to know for Trusts?

bear patrol

New

Post by bear patrol » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Does anyone have a sense of what we have to know for Trusts?
I was wondering the same thing. According to Smart Bar Prep frequency thing (http://www.smartbarprep.com/SmartBarPre ... alysis.pdf.), these are the top 3 and the associated percentages of frequency on NY essays:

1. Purchase Money Resulting Trusts (PMRT) - 10%

2. Amendment to a Trust after Execution of a Will with a Pour-over Provision - 7.5%

3. Default Rules for Amending or Terminating a Trust - 7.5%

Besides that, I'm not sure what else we need to know. Not sure how much time I'm going to devote to Trusts since it has appeared on 7% of essays according to the chart at the beginning of that PDF.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Been cramming but trying to figure out a game plan. Spent all my little study time on the MBE, and have gone from ~45% to ~70%, but even with a 130/190 I'd only be at roughly 280 points right? 130 would be curved to 140 x 2? And then you have 5 essays that total 400 possible points, MPT for 100 and NY MC for 100? I'm only going to get roughly 35/100 on the NY MC - but would need to come up with roughly a 55 average on all 6 essays to pass, no?

Also are 2 of the essays Multistate or all 5 are NY?

summeisruined

New

Post by summeisruined » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Wait, the curve adds 10 points?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Ahyis wrote:Well, my understanding is that there has never been an admin law question on the essays to date - they only introduced it starting with this past February exam, remember.
Oh yeah, sorry I meant for the most commonly tested topics (Wills, Family Law, Torts, etc). I honestly have no idea re. Admin since they haven't done it yet, but after reviewing Admin today, I'm thinking:

- adjudicatory proceedings
- rule-making procedures and failure to follow them
- Art. 78 action re. failure to follow rule-making procedures and/or conduct during adjudicatory proceeding or searches/inspections
- (possibly) searches/inspections themselves and/or administrative investigations (like issuance of subpoenas)
- etc

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:37 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Ahyis wrote:Well, my understanding is that there has never been an admin law question on the essays to date - they only introduced it starting with this past February exam, remember.
Oh yeah, sorry I meant for the most commonly tested topics (Wills, Family Law, Torts, etc). I honestly have no idea re. Admin since they haven't done it yet, but after reviewing Admin today, I'm thinking:

- Art. 78 action re. failure to follow rule-making procedures and/or conduct during adjudicatory proceeding or searches/inspections
- (possibly) searches/inspections themselves and/or administrative investigations (like issuance of subpoenas)
- etc
Heh :lol:

I think the best plan is to just have a broad understanding. Don't knock yourself out by memorizing all the gritty details, especially since we're just a few days before the exam now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

marthac66

New

Post by marthac66 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Anyone using Seperac master??

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:40 pm

orangecup wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

- etc
Heh :lol:

I think the best plan is to just have a broad understanding. Don't knock yourself out by memorizing all the gritty details, especially since we're just a few days before the exam now.
Lol, "etc" = I'm really running out of fucks to give at this point. :lol:

Ahyis

New

Post by Ahyis » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Been cramming but trying to figure out a game plan. Spent all my little study time on the MBE, and have gone from ~45% to ~70%, but even with a 130/190 I'd only be at roughly 280 points right? 130 would be curved to 140 x 2? And then you have 5 essays that total 400 possible points, MPT for 100 and NY MC for 100? I'm only going to get roughly 35/100 on the NY MC - but would need to come up with roughly a 55 average on all 6 essays to pass, no?

Also are 2 of the essays Multistate or all 5 are NY?
Nobody really knows how they score the essays, except that the average is 45-55.I think if you get all 50s on the written portion, ~50% on the NYMC, and like a 130 scaled, you'll JUST scrape by with a pass. If you're getting a 140 scaled, you have more leeway.

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Barbri Essay Question:

Can someone explain why on NY Evidence Essay Question 4, Part 2(a), why is the charge accomplice liability and not solicitation. In the answer it simply says "Editor's Note: He was not charged with these crimes." I am wondering where it says that? There is nowhere in the fact pattern it says he was charged with "Accomplice" liability, it only says that the individual was charge with 3rd Degree Arson which means all of Conspiracy, Accomplice, and Solicitation could get you there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”