feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
victortsoi

Bronze

feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Post by victortsoi » Sun May 24, 2015 4:35 pm

So i decided that live classes were really bad ideas for me, as id start getting dizzy and antsy at about 2.5 hours. At home i take breaks, but also find that watching at 1.25 or 1.5 speed is good for me and makes these manageable, so i can spend more time reviewing notes and doing questions. Is this a shortcut i should /self over?

ymmv

Diamond

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Post by ymmv » Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Man, I hope this isn't serious. Just watch at the fastest speed you're able to comfortably absorb the information.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Everyone I've talked to has said that if you don't watch them sped up, you'll definitely want to kill yourself by the end of the program.

So far I like 1.25.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun May 24, 2015 5:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Everyone I've talked to has said that if you don't watch them sped up, you'll definitely want to kill yourself by the end of the program.
This should really make its way into the barbri marketing material.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:31 pm

you should feel guilty about feeling guilty

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sun May 24, 2015 5:37 pm

I really can't imagine being able to sit and listen to the whole thing at the normal speed. Some of the lecturers are SO SLOW. If 1.25/1.5/1.75 get me to sit through the whole thing, then that's better than zoning out halfway through at 1x.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Don't feel guilty. I spent most of my video watching at 1.25. 1.5 was fast but doable. Trust me, its worth it to save time. Check out my tips post I did about time management in the forum. I think it will help you. GL

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sun May 24, 2015 8:59 pm

thanks guys. I was mostly curious to see what people were doing. I checked out of the live class because i was not retaining anything and it just wasnt comfortable.

Does anyone listen to the non lecture videos, with that farkas guy? the one for this weekend was 2.5 hours long....prefer to review notes instead.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sun May 24, 2015 9:51 pm

I stick with 1.5x speed but with some speakers 2.0 is actually manageable because they talk so slowly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

History_Buff

Diamond

Post by History_Buff » Mon May 25, 2015 12:48 pm

1.5x speed can save you over an hour of time. No guilt.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

LOL

It''s a win-win. You save time and you will likely have better comprehension if you're not bored out of your mind. I don't see how anyone can watch these videos at the normal speed.

My_name_is_jimmothy

New

Post by My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 pm

The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:27 pm

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.
Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

My_name_is_jimmothy

New

Post by My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.
Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.
How many points does your state give you for watching lectures?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:49 pm

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
How many points does your state give you for outlining?
I don't outline either. I listen to the lectures while coloring in my coloring book, and do MBE practice.

I'm not going to entirely ignore essays, but it's worth more to get good at the MBE. A good score on the MBE means you can basically write your essays in crayon and still pass.

My_name_is_jimmothy

New

Post by My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
I don't outline either. I listen to the lectures while coloring in my coloring book, and do MBE practice.

I'm not going to entirely ignore essays, but it's worth more to get good at the MBE. A good score on the MBE means you can basically write your essays in crayon and still pass.
I meant to ask how many points your state gives for watching lectures hence the edit. I took bar in CA, thus no auto pass. But if I were taking it in an auto pass state I'd be doing like you and spending time on MBEs. Good luck!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon May 25, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm watching at 2x speed. Not feeling guilty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:42 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm watching at 2x speed. Not feeling guilty.
Anything faster than 1.25 is too choppy for me.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon May 25, 2015 7:20 pm

I realize this makes me a complete dumb, but how do I speed up the lectures? I'm starting my first substantive one tomorrow after work and this could make my night a little less mo serable...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:20 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I realize this makes me a complete dumb, but how do I speed up the lectures? I'm starting my first substantive one tomorrow after work and this could make my night a little less mo serable...
When the vid is playing, there's a little clock symbol by the video controls. Click on it and pick your speed.

ETA: it's not a clock, it's a speedometer. To the right of the progress bar. Hover over the video to get the controls to appear.

prettylilmama

New

Post by prettylilmama » Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 pm

So true!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue May 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Anyone else having trouble setting the playback to 1.25 or higher? I see the button on the video panel for it, but when I click it it doesn't let me do anything...

If I have to listen to Sam Farkas, Esq. take an hour to tell me something he could have told me in 30 seconds, at normal speed, I'm going to blow my f'ing brains out.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue May 26, 2015 11:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Also, this made my day. 50% MBE/30% MEE/20% MPT in my state (WA). Kind of makes me not even want to start practicing essays yet, and just get the law down with MBE questions/flashcards, etc.

HLBE689

New

Post by HLBE689 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:35 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone else having trouble setting the playback to 1.25 or higher? I see the button on the video panel for it, but when I click it it doesn't let me do anything...

If I have to listen to Sam Farkas, Esq. take an hour to tell me something he could have told me in 30 seconds, at normal speed, I'm going to blow my f'ing brains out.

I had trouble at first too when using Google Chrome. I switched to internet explorer to see if the button would work there and it did - there is probably something on Chrome in settings or something that might make it work but I am not computer savvy enough to know these things. So just watch the videos on a different browser if you are currently using Chrome. solved my problem

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Wed May 27, 2015 12:00 am

HLBE689 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone else having trouble setting the playback to 1.25 or higher? I see the button on the video panel for it, but when I click it it doesn't let me do anything...

I had trouble at first too when using Google Chrome. I switched to internet explorer to see if the button would work there and it did - there is probably something on Chrome in settings or something that might make it work but I am not computer savvy enough to know these things. So just watch the videos on a different browser if you are currently using Chrome. solved my problem
That did it! Thanks!! 1.25 is my home from now on.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”