feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby victortsoi » Sun May 24, 2015 4:35 pm

So i decided that live classes were really bad ideas for me, as id start getting dizzy and antsy at about 2.5 hours. At home i take breaks, but also find that watching at 1.25 or 1.5 speed is good for me and makes these manageable, so i can spend more time reviewing notes and doing questions. Is this a shortcut i should /self over?

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12955
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby ymmv » Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Man, I hope this isn't serious. Just watch at the fastest speed you're able to comfortably absorb the information.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Everyone I've talked to has said that if you don't watch them sped up, you'll definitely want to kill yourself by the end of the program.

So far I like 1.25.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2834
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby haus » Sun May 24, 2015 5:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Everyone I've talked to has said that if you don't watch them sped up, you'll definitely want to kill yourself by the end of the program.

This should really make its way into the barbri marketing material.

User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby encore1101 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:31 pm

you should feel guilty about feeling guilty

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby mushybrain » Sun May 24, 2015 5:37 pm

I really can't imagine being able to sit and listen to the whole thing at the normal speed. Some of the lecturers are SO SLOW. If 1.25/1.5/1.75 get me to sit through the whole thing, then that's better than zoning out halfway through at 1x.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Don't feel guilty. I spent most of my video watching at 1.25. 1.5 was fast but doable. Trust me, its worth it to save time. Check out my tips post I did about time management in the forum. I think it will help you. GL

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby victortsoi » Sun May 24, 2015 8:59 pm

thanks guys. I was mostly curious to see what people were doing. I checked out of the live class because i was not retaining anything and it just wasnt comfortable.

Does anyone listen to the non lecture videos, with that farkas guy? the one for this weekend was 2.5 hours long....prefer to review notes instead.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby goldeneye » Sun May 24, 2015 9:51 pm

I stick with 1.5x speed but with some speakers 2.0 is actually manageable because they talk so slowly.

User avatar
History_Buff
Posts: 8556
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby History_Buff » Mon May 25, 2015 12:48 pm

1.5x speed can save you over an hour of time. No guilt.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

LOL

It''s a win-win. You save time and you will likely have better comprehension if you're not bored out of your mind. I don't see how anyone can watch these videos at the normal speed.

My_name_is_jimmothy
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 pm

The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:27 pm

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.

My_name_is_jimmothy
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.


How many points does your state give you for watching lectures?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:49 pm

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.


How many points does your state give you for outlining?

I don't outline either. I listen to the lectures while coloring in my coloring book, and do MBE practice.

I'm not going to entirely ignore essays, but it's worth more to get good at the MBE. A good score on the MBE means you can basically write your essays in crayon and still pass.

My_name_is_jimmothy
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.


How many points does your state give you for outlining?

I don't outline either. I listen to the lectures while coloring in my coloring book, and do MBE practice.

I'm not going to entirely ignore essays, but it's worth more to get good at the MBE. A good score on the MBE means you can basically write your essays in crayon and still pass.

I meant to ask how many points your state gives for watching lectures hence the edit. I took bar in CA, thus no auto pass. But if I were taking it in an auto pass state I'd be doing like you and spending time on MBEs. Good luck!

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby 3|ink » Mon May 25, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm watching at 2x speed. Not feeling guilty.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:42 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm watching at 2x speed. Not feeling guilty.

Anything faster than 1.25 is too choppy for me.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon May 25, 2015 7:20 pm

I realize this makes me a complete dumb, but how do I speed up the lectures? I'm starting my first substantive one tomorrow after work and this could make my night a little less mo serable...

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:20 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I realize this makes me a complete dumb, but how do I speed up the lectures? I'm starting my first substantive one tomorrow after work and this could make my night a little less mo serable...

When the vid is playing, there's a little clock symbol by the video controls. Click on it and pick your speed.

ETA: it's not a clock, it's a speedometer. To the right of the progress bar. Hover over the video to get the controls to appear.

prettylilmama
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby prettylilmama » Tue May 26, 2015 10:36 pm

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.


So true!

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue May 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Anyone else having trouble setting the playback to 1.25 or higher? I see the button on the video panel for it, but when I click it it doesn't let me do anything...

If I have to listen to Sam Farkas, Esq. take an hour to tell me something he could have told me in 30 seconds, at normal speed, I'm going to blow my f'ing brains out.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue May 26, 2015 11:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:The barbri lectures were the biggest waste of time during my prep. Not worth your time. Better to take those three hours and do practice essays.

Spending all your time practicing the section that's only worth 25% (in a lot of states) is pretty dumb.


How many points does your state give you for outlining?

I don't outline either. I listen to the lectures while coloring in my coloring book, and do MBE practice.

I'm not going to entirely ignore essays, but it's worth more to get good at the MBE. A good score on the MBE means you can basically write your essays in crayon and still pass.


Also, this made my day. 50% MBE/30% MEE/20% MPT in my state (WA). Kind of makes me not even want to start practicing essays yet, and just get the law down with MBE questions/flashcards, etc.

HLBE689
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby HLBE689 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:35 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone else having trouble setting the playback to 1.25 or higher? I see the button on the video panel for it, but when I click it it doesn't let me do anything...

If I have to listen to Sam Farkas, Esq. take an hour to tell me something he could have told me in 30 seconds, at normal speed, I'm going to blow my f'ing brains out.



I had trouble at first too when using Google Chrome. I switched to internet explorer to see if the button would work there and it did - there is probably something on Chrome in settings or something that might make it work but I am not computer savvy enough to know these things. So just watch the videos on a different browser if you are currently using Chrome. solved my problem

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: feeling guilty for watching barbri at 1.5x

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed May 27, 2015 12:00 am

HLBE689 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone else having trouble setting the playback to 1.25 or higher? I see the button on the video panel for it, but when I click it it doesn't let me do anything...

If I have to listen to Sam Farkas, Esq. take an hour to tell me something he could have told me in 30 seconds, at normal speed, I'm going to blow my f'ing brains out.



I had trouble at first too when using Google Chrome. I switched to internet explorer to see if the button would work there and it did - there is probably something on Chrome in settings or something that might make it work but I am not computer savvy enough to know these things. So just watch the videos on a different browser if you are currently using Chrome. solved my problem


That did it! Thanks!! 1.25 is my home from now on.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], esther0123 and 7 guests