BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

5ky

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
5ky wrote:
NY Practice, Wills, Trusts, Domestic Relations, Corporations and PR are the big six. I learned those cold. The others are just not as important, e.g. commercial paper, secured transactions, conflict of laws and so forth.

Do you mean among the NY only subjects or overall? Because it seems like PR and NY Practice (maybe others also) are often used in conjunction with subjects like Torts or Crim. Law/Crim. Procedure.

That's for the NY subjects only. You'll have learned the MBE subjects already and the distinctions between MBE and state are small enough you can learn those pretty easily if you sit down and focus on it for a bit. It seems like a lot but when you really boil it down to the differences highlighted in the lectures (which is what I did and I really don't think you should go further than that), it's not bad at all.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:53 pm

I also used this to help me focus my study on the more minor subjects (and also for PR -- there's really very few things they actually test on in PR and I only bothered to learn those cold)

http://www.smartbarprep.com/SmartBarPrep_Frequency_Analysis.pdf

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:21 pm

5ky wrote:I also used this to help me focus my study on the more minor subjects (and also for PR -- there's really very few things they actually test on in PR and I only bothered to learn those cold)

Hi, did you get the package or did you just use the analysis?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:34 pm

just look at the frequency of each, pretty simple.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:47 pm

5ky wrote:I also used this to help me focus my study on the more minor subjects (and also for PR -- there's really very few things they actually test on in PR and I only bothered to learn those cold)

This is great, thanks. I can imagine using this the last week or two to hone specific subjects. Wills is what I'm most concerned about because I never took an Estates class and it looks like Wills comes up all the time on the essays, so I will definitely drill that heavily.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Any other "frequency essay" websites for other states, particularly Pennsylvania? We have some materials that touch this briefly in the Barbri books but nothing to the extent of that NY analysis.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:29 pm

5ky wrote:just look at the frequency of each, pretty simple.

Ok. The simpler, the better.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Barbri's Property MPQ questions make me want to punch a kitten. What fucking sadist wrote some of these.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:36 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Barbri's Property MPQ questions make me want to punch a kitten. What fucking sadist wrote some of these.

+1

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:40 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Barbri's Property MPQ questions make me want to punch a kitten. What fucking sadist wrote some of these.

I thought Torts were worse.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Kage3212 wrote:

They all really suck. For some reason the first two property ones were fine for me, but the last few sets are brutal. It's to the point where I just give up halfway through a question set because I'm so angry I can't focus. I'm just glad they won't be that bad on the actual MBE

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:52 pm

For those that have taken the Barbri Midterm, are a majority of the questions on the midterm as frustrating as some of these MPQ sets?

crithyis

Postby crithyis » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:00 pm

kykiske wrote:
crithyis wrote:149/200. 94th %ile. If anyone would like some info/tips on what I've been doing to study, etc. I would be happy to provide. I also feel like i got lucky on a lot of the questions though. I definitely had not been performing anywhere near getting 75% right on the MBE MPQ's or whatever they are called. Maybe its just becoming familiar with the particularities of BARBRI's tricky questions.

If you could explain your strategy, that would be great. Need to pick up about 15 raw points to better position myself on the MBE.

Thank you!

Hey, sure. I can't promise that it will be anything groundbreaking, but here goes. I averaged anywhere from 60-90% on subjects for the MPQs, most of the averages around 65% correct, so between taking those and the sim. mbe i picked up some points.

First, i watched most of the lectures at 1.25x or 1.5x speed, depending on professor, Paula got 1.75 sometimes due to her annoying me so much hah. Absolutely wasting your time if youre not at least doing 1.25. Did all the questions assigned, and made sure to do all of the homework assigned as well. I half-assed a lot of the homework assignments, i dont know whether those actually help or not, but i probably remembered a few things from them. I think where I probably differ from others doing review now is that aside from reviewing my lecture notes, i have also highlighted and re-read through the CMR mini review book (not the giant one) several times for each subject (If you arent aware, just the lectures will NOT prepare you for the MBE questions like many of the professors say. Especially the MPQ questions from BARBRI, which test the most minute parts of the law) Maybe not several for each, but definitely several times and highlighted carefully on my worse sections: property, torts, etc... I also took most of these classes in law school and did well im not sure exactly how much that helps either. I have also gone back through at least one MPQ question set for each subject and took those again while watching tv, i think seeing those again helps. I recommend question set #2, since it was the hardest. Learning how to separate the vague answers that are right from the answer that the test writer wants you to pick is kind of a science, and thats probably where i picked up all my points.

I hope this helps some of you. If i think of anything else i've been doing, will edit the post. Overall, I would guess i have done 6-8 hours per day from Day 1, being very generous with that number. Also recommend working out or doing something to keep sane throughout the day.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Kage3212 wrote:

Torts were incredibly frustrating as well, and that was one of my best subjects in law school.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

crithyis wrote:
kykiske wrote:
crithyis wrote:149/200. 94th %ile. If anyone would like some info/tips on what I've been doing to study, etc. I would be happy to provide. I also feel like i got lucky on a lot of the questions though. I definitely had not been performing anywhere near getting 75% right on the MBE MPQ's or whatever they are called. Maybe its just becoming familiar with the particularities of BARBRI's tricky questions.

If you could explain your strategy, that would be great. Need to pick up about 15 raw points to better position myself on the MBE.

Thank you!

Hey, sure. I can't promise that it will be anything groundbreaking, but here goes. I averaged anywhere from 60-90% on subjects for the MPQs, most of the averages around 65% correct, so between taking those and the sim. mbe i picked up some points.

First, i watched most of the lectures at 1.25x or 1.5x speed, depending on professor, Paula got 1.75 sometimes due to her annoying me so much hah. Absolutely wasting your time if youre not at least doing 1.25. Did all the questions assigned, and made sure to do all of the homework assigned as well. I half-assed a lot of the homework assignments, i dont know whether those actually help or not, but i probably remembered a few things from them. I think where I probably differ from others doing review now is that aside from reviewing my lecture notes, i have also highlighted and re-read through the CMR mini review book (not the giant one) several times for each subject (If you arent aware, just the lectures will NOT prepare you for the MBE questions like many of the professors say. Especially the MPQ questions from BARBRI, which test the most minute parts of the law) Maybe not several for each, but definitely several times and highlighted carefully on my worse sections: property, torts, etc... I also took most of these classes in law school and did well im not sure exactly how much that helps either. I have also gone back through at least one MPQ question set for each subject and took those again while watching tv, i think seeing those again helps. I recommend question set #2, since it was the hardest. Learning how to separate the vague answers that are right from the answer that the test writer wants you to pick is kind of a science, and thats probably where i picked up all my points.

I hope this helps some of you. If i think of anything else i've been doing, will edit the post. Overall, I would guess i have done 6-8 hours per day from Day 1, being very generous with that number. Also recommend working out or doing something to keep sane throughout the day.

Thanks for this, but there's something odd about the score...someone told me that 150 raw on the MBE will get you a good buffer for bad essays. But if you're at the 94th percentile with 75% correct, then that implies 150 is practically an ACE...yikes. What's median?! I know we're a month out now, but considering most people have studied for the MBE sections prior to taking the Sim, I'm surprised the 94th is that low (i.e., why is everyone scoring so low?).

I'm still n00bing this up, but is the 150=good buffer a bad approximation? That's 75% correct.. BarBri is saying "Aim for a "d""(assuming D to be roughly 65%)...but if 94th percentile is at 75% correct, it seems like a large majority of people are well under 65% correct... Are people taking this prior to studying? Or, maybe I"m wrong and everyone's clustering around 65%?

Some hard numbers or a link would hepl me wrap my head around this...

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:37 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:
crithyis wrote:
kykiske wrote:

Thank you!

Thanks for this, but there's something odd about the score...someone told me that 150 raw on the MBE will get you a good buffer for bad essays. But if you're at the 94th percentile with 75% correct, then that implies 150 is practically an ACE...yikes. What's median?! I know we're a month out now, but considering most people have studied for the MBE sections prior to taking the Sim, I'm surprised the 94th is that low (i.e., why is everyone scoring so low?).

I'm still n00bing this up, but is the 150=good buffer a bad approximation? That's 75% correct.. BarBri is saying "Aim for a "d""(assuming D to be roughly 65%)...but if 94th percentile is at 75% correct, it seems like a large majority of people are well under 65% correct... Are people taking this prior to studying? Or, maybe I"m wrong and everyone's clustering around 65%?

I was at the 51st percentile with a score of 118 (or 59% correct). So to your point that a majority of people are well under 65% correct, you're absolutely right.

75% is very good on this practice MBE, and scores are so low, because: (1) The questions are much harder than the actual MBE; and (2) we're only halfway through our study. The average on the actual MBE will obviously be much higher.

Numbers wise, I think the only relevant thing from doing BarBri questions (including this big practice exam) is your percentile ranking.

And OP, good on you man. That's an amazing score for this stage in the game. Keep it up!

atticus89

Postby atticus89 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:57 pm

crithyis wrote:
kykiske wrote:

Thank you!

I just want to add that I didn't do as well as OP (140/200) but I think that re-reading the CMR isn't absolutely necessary. I've only done the lectures, I actually haven't even opened my CMR the entire summer. Like OP I have kept up with the assignments and I've done the homework as it assigned (though somewhat half-ass it when I feel like the questions are way too specific). Also have averaged about 7-8 hours of concentrated study per day (including the videos). I have skipped a couple of the MBE workshop videos and a couple of the essay analysis videos.

Just wanted to add my POV so everyone doesn't think reading the CMR several times is absolutely necessary to score high on the MBE. I didn't score 149, but I was close to it considering I haven't opened the CMR all summer. And my worst subject on the test was the first subject I covered in Barbri (which I haven't looked at for about 3 weeks). I felt that (with a handful of exceptions) every question could have been answered just from the material covered in the lectures. Sometimes the CMR will go into more detail to give you more fine points but what I'm saying is in my opinion the lectures give you enough information to get to the answer.

Everyone learns in different ways. There's no magic formula IMO. Some people are better off reading the CMR a bunch, some are better off drilling tons of practice problems each day. Listen to all the strategies and try to figure out what works best for you.

Blue Ivy

Postby Blue Ivy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Remainders and future interest are owning me. What did you guys to do learn them? Any Barbri or non-Barbri material you guys recommend?

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:
crithyis wrote:
kykiske wrote:

Thank you!

I was at the 51st percentile with a score of 118 (or 59% correct). So to your point that a majority of people are well under 65% correct, you're absolutely right.

75% is very good on this practice MBE, and scores are so low, because: (1) The questions are much harder than the actual MBE; and (2) we're only halfway through our study. The average on the actual MBE will obviously be much higher.

Numbers wise, I think the only relevant thing from doing BarBri questions (including this big practice exam) is your percentile ranking.

And OP, good on you man. That's an amazing score for this stage in the game. Keep it up!

Definitely agreed that 75% is great at this point. I think 75% is great regardless (and as I've heard is a good buffer for exams). I'm just surprised it's 94th percentile. As far as my own progress, and judging by my MPQs and Workshops, I won't make 75%! ha...but I still got a week before I take it. So, hitting the books!

Thanks for the response...any idea about what RAW score we should be aiming for on BarBri questions (considering they're tougher)?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Also keep in mind as to how many people have taken the midterm test at this point. My guess is that it is far less than half of the states. This could explain such a high percentile at this current point in time.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Missing 20% of the questions in the LSAT puts you around 90th percentile. I'd assume the distribution is similar here. Not many people will be getting 3/4 of these questions right.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:12 am

so after sending in the first graded essay, Ive been focusing mostly on mbe/adaptibar and little on essays. ANy advice on how to make these up?

Also, I'm not spending anywhere near 1.5 hours per barbri essay, they usually take me 40 minutes max. Should I do some open book, first?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:19 am

victortsoi wrote:so after sending in the first graded essay, Ive been focusing mostly on mbe/adaptibar and little on essays. ANy advice on how to make these up?

Also, I'm not spending anywhere near 1.5 hours per barbri essay, they usually take me 40 minutes max. Should I do some open book, first?

Is there a state that allows 1.5 hrs per essay? Oregon allows 30 min.
The 1.5 hours includes self-grading and review, I imagine.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:06 am

Dear Chemerinsky,
Please teach me everything in every subject in the next 30 days. Thanks in advance.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:09 am

jamescastle wrote:Dear Chemerinsky,
Please teach me everything in every subject in the next 30 days. Thanks in advance.

What do you like bout Chemerinsky? I like the guy so far.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”