BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

kykiske

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kykiske » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:47 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
kykiske wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:You get 180 minutes for 100 questions? That seems not very hard. The questions are hard, but they generally don't take that long.

I keep on hearing that Barbri's Qs are statistically longer and harder. To be honest, I'd just prefer that they accurately reflect what we see on test day. My worst fear is that I overthink the questions on the actual exam, and get something wrong, because I'm used to overanalyzing the Barbri Qs.

Yep. I worry about that too.

I think if you're putting in the work and keeping up you're about 99 percent good. First time test takers are around 80 percent likely to pass, and you're probably outworking a majority you're already smarter than. My biggest fear is I won't be able to study hard in July as I'm way behind. I really haven't gotten my work ethic back since 1L, and need to start trying. There's no more observational humor and a couple good points equal B plus strategy.

Yeah, I feel you.

Here's my thought: It's better that we bomb these practice Qs over the actual exam questions. I went through something pretty similar with the MPRE. First few practice sets, I was getting like, ~50% correct. By the week before, I shot up to 70%. Passed the MPRE by a fair margin.

For the MBE, so long as we keep at it, we'll get better. It's actually amazing how much you can improve in a month, which is what we have left.

History_Buff

Postby History_Buff » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:20 am

mushybrain wrote:That property one was nuts. I hadn't encountered that type of problem before. I got it right but wtf at that one.

Actually that's one that you don't have to have any legal knowledge whatsoever to answer. Just draw the boundaries in your head and pick the answer that closes it.

Also 126 raw. Not bad, but I want to improve.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:11 am

Does the full MBE show up on your schedule?

I don't see how I could take a full MBE yet since I just finished my last MBE topic today.

Maybe it varies by the state.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:43 pm

History_Buff wrote:
mushybrain wrote:That property one was nuts. I hadn't encountered that type of problem before. I got it right but wtf at that one.

Actually that's one that you don't have to have any legal knowledge whatsoever to answer. Just draw the boundaries in your head and pick the answer that closes it.

Also 126 raw. Not bad, but I want to improve.

Right, that's what I did. I just thought it was random/weird/unexpected and had to take a min to figure out what was happening with the descriptions.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Does anyone know how the Barbri property questions (MPQ) compare to the questions on the bar?

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:06 pm

Anyone watching these Simulated MBE review videos? Are they useful? Just started and wondering if this is how I ought to spend my weekend.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:11 pm

mushybrain wrote:Anyone watching these Simulated MBE review videos? Are they useful? Just started and wondering if this is how I ought to spend my weekend.

Would also like to know. I want go through every answer, but not sure if it's more efficient to do it on my own, or with the video.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:18 pm

about how many MBE questions/essays does barbri have you doing per day?

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Follow-up: Just started the real property video. It's been super useful.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
kykiske wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:You get 180 minutes for 100 questions? That seems not very hard. The questions are hard, but they generally don't take that long.

I keep on hearing that Barbri's Qs are statistically longer and harder. To be honest, I'd just prefer that they accurately reflect what we see on test day. My worst fear is that I overthink the questions on the actual exam, and get something wrong, because I'm used to overanalyzing the Barbri Qs.

Yep. I worry about that too.

I had the same concern so I just bought the Emmanuel's MBE book, which apparently has actual MBE questions. I went from 50-70% on my barbri questions to 80-90% on the Emmanuel's questions in the same subjects. I think we'll be alright ya'll.

Edit: should clarify the subjects I did were all but civpro

MPTPWZ1026

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:16 pm

victortsoi wrote:
941law wrote:
victortsoi wrote:isn't 108 pretty safe for most states?

confused on how this is possible from a numerical standpoint?

Sorry, i didnt look up the numbers to avoid freaking myself out. I guess if national average is around 140, and you dont have to be average or above average in many places to pass...hmm. Well, I'd say you aren't too far, 120 is probably OK. At least i hope :oops:

The email they send out says that the average for the simulated MBE last year was 112. It said in the email that your score will usually go up between 15-20 points between now and test day and remind you that this is a raw score, not scaled, so you can usually expect a 10-15 point scaled jump over your raw.

So if you got a 108, scaled it'd be around 120 ish. You can expect to boost your raw score by 15-20 points from test day, although I'm sure some people will do more and some will do less.

MPTPWZ1026

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:20 pm

3|ink wrote:Does the full MBE show up on your schedule?

I don't see how I could take a full MBE yet since I just finished my last MBE topic today.

Maybe it varies by the state.

For my state, it was scheduled for this past Friday and was the only assignment for that day. I had finished my last MBE topic on Tuesday.

All of this weekend is random analysis videos over the MBE questions.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:41 pm

How much "extra" review did you ladies and gentlemen do prior to engaging in the MBE mid-term exam? Feeling like I would need to extensively look at some of the beginning MBE lectures covered to even have a remote possibility of getting those questions right.

Hedgehog25

Postby Hedgehog25 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Kage3212 wrote:How much "extra" review did you ladies and gentlemen do prior to engaging in the MBE mid-term exam? Feeling like I would need to extensively look at some of the beginning MBE lectures covered to even have a remote possibility of getting those questions right.

No more than half an hour of cumulative review. I did mostly civ pro and some property the day before, plus some Adaptibar questions. 126 raw score; I feel OK about that given that I haven't looked at contracts or con law in weeks.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Hedgehog25 wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:How much "extra" review did you ladies and gentlemen do prior to engaging in the MBE mid-term exam? Feeling like I would need to extensively look at some of the beginning MBE lectures covered to even have a remote possibility of getting those questions right.

No more than half an hour of cumulative review. I did mostly civ pro and some property the day before, plus some Adaptibar questions. 126 raw score; I feel OK about that given that I haven't looked at contracts or con law in weeks.

118 raw. Meh.

I didn't look at anything before the practice test. I went from finishing my last MBE subject lecture the night before to taking the test the next morning. In need of some serious subject review, but going over all 200 of these questions sounds like a nightmare.

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Everyone has been talking about the simulated MBE, but my PSP shows that I have a simulated written exam coming up this week?

What is that all about? Do these essays get graded by barbri or do we self-grade?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:57 pm

old_soul wrote:Everyone has been talking about the simulated MBE, but my PSP shows that I have a simulated written exam coming up this week?

What is that all about? Do these essays get graded by barbri or do we self-grade?

To my understanding, MBE is graded by barbi. Essays are self graded

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Curious as to why people are taking the MBE 200 questions this week instead of July 7...that's the one we're talking about right? I'm waiting until I get another week under my belt (then again, I'm a little behind -- haven't done ConLaw yet).

Are the people who are already taking the Simulated MBE just feeling really comfortable prior to going in? Have you done most of the Workshops/Diags/MPQs/homework yet?

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Lots of people have different schedules assigned by BarBri that's all.

Also. Property is killing me.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:15 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:Curious as to why people are taking the MBE 200 questions this week instead of July 7...that's the one we're talking about right? I'm waiting until I get another week under my belt (then again, I'm a little behind -- haven't done ConLaw yet).

Are the people who are already taking the Simulated MBE just feeling really comfortable prior to going in? Have you done most of the Workshops/Diags/MPQs/homework yet?

As the poster above me stated, these individuals have already completed all substantive MBE topics. Out here in PA, ours is July 7th as well.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:Curious as to why people are taking the MBE 200 questions this week instead of July 7...that's the one we're talking about right? I'm waiting until I get another week under my belt (then again, I'm a little behind -- haven't done ConLaw yet).

As the poster above me stated, these individuals have already completed all substantive MBE topics. Out here in PA, ours is July 7th as well.

Oh, wow. Weird. I thought we are all on the same MBE schedule...here in NY I guess we did cover a few NY topics before finishing out the MBE topics (Agency, Mortgages, NY practice, and NY Professional Responsibility). But this helps -- thanks, folks!

Charger

Postby Charger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:27 pm

I'm having trouble understanding the exclusionary rule and the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. I don't understand all the different exceptions and what doesn't apply where. Can someone dumb it down for me?

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 pm

dont know what to think- im in the 76%ile for criminal law/proc on barbri, with about 66% correct. However, on adaptibar, im at 45-50%. what does this mean? Hopefullly I had a bad day today....

MPTPWZ1026

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:

Oh, wow. Weird. I thought we are all on the same MBE schedule...here in NY I guess we did cover a few NY topics before finishing out the MBE topics (Agency, Mortgages, NY practice, and NY Professional Responsibility). But this helps -- thanks, folks!

Yeah, some states don't have any state-specific subjects at all, including mine. So my MBE schedule finished on Tuesday, and we technically covered 2 MEE topics during that as well. That left two days of normal assignments including diagnostic and practice sets before the test was scheduled on Friday.

As far as feeling comfortable, I didn't feel amazingly great, but I also didn't want to put in insane hours of review beforehand. I mainly went back to my very first MBE lecture topic and reviewed it once before sitting down for the test. My first one was Con Law, and I felt like that was the stuff I was most likely to have completely forgotten.

crithyis

Postby crithyis » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:33 pm

149/200. 94th %ile. If anyone would like some info/tips on what I've been doing to study, etc. I would be happy to provide. I also feel like i got lucky on a lot of the questions though. I definitely had not been performing anywhere near getting 75% right on the MBE MPQ's or whatever they are called. Maybe its just becoming familiar with the particularities of BARBRI's tricky questions.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”