BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Also, this is probably a dumb question, but here it goes.

If your state differs from MBE, the state-specific stuff will apply on the MBE day right?

Or do they just have the exact same MBE questions in every state on the MBE day?

Example: My state doesn't have RAP. My barbri simulated MBE had some RAP questions. Am I supposed to expect to see RAP on my actual MBE day? Or does the RAP-less world only apply on the state essay day?
Same stuff everywhere on MBE day.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:In the video I watched dude said to read library because then you have an idea of what issues to flag in the case file.
Isn't that backwards? Case file has the facts. Library has cases, in which you don't know what is important until you know the facts and the issues.
That's what I was thinking at first, but the way the lecturer explained it kind of made sense. He basically said if you go case file first, then library, you'll eventually need to refer back to the case file after reading the library, so it wastes time.

I guess if you remember everything from the case file before reading the library it doesn't really matter. I'm sure it's fine either way.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:Also, this is probably a dumb question, but here it goes.

If your state differs from MBE, the state-specific stuff will apply on the MBE day right?

Or do they just have the exact same MBE questions in every state on the MBE day?

Example: My state doesn't have RAP. My barbri simulated MBE had some RAP questions. Am I supposed to expect to see RAP on my actual MBE day? Or does the RAP-less world only apply on the state essay day?
Same stuff everywhere on MBE day.
Got it. Thanks.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:24 pm

kykiske wrote:Just graded my first full MBE: 108/200 (raw). 54%.

Ouch. Here's to spending the next month cramming.
*what is generally thought to be the score equivalent to the MBE Scaled 136? still confused on the grading.
Last edited by 941law on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:41 pm

isn't 108 pretty safe for most states?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:45 pm

victortsoi wrote:isn't 108 pretty safe for most states?
confused on how this is possible from a numerical standpoint?

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Anyone feel like Civ Pro qs are too...straightforward? I feel like I don't have to *exert* myself as much, there aren't crazy "tricks". Is it really supposed to be that mechanical? Wish a Feb test-taker would offer their input.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 pm

941law wrote:
victortsoi wrote:isn't 108 pretty safe for most states?
confused on how this is possible from a numerical standpoint?
Sorry, i didnt look up the numbers to avoid freaking myself out. I guess if national average is around 140, and you dont have to be average or above average in many places to pass...hmm. Well, I'd say you aren't too far, 120 is probably OK. At least i hope :oops:

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:07 pm

victortsoi wrote:
Sorry, i didnt look up the numbers to avoid freaking myself out. I guess if national average is around 140, and you dont have to be average or above average in many places to pass...hmm. Well, I'd say you aren't too far, 120 is probably OK. At least i hope :oops:
I'm not sure how much they "scale up" raw scores for us? Is that the issue here? If they scale it up 16 points this July then a 120 raw would be fine. Some say barbri is harder than the MBE so maybe a 110 or higher on Barbri is on the money.

But you said "in most States" and I was more confused on whether that actually mattered for the MBE, considering it's national.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah, thanks for the reinforcement guys.

I'm not freaking out. To be SUPER honest, I didn't really take this test as closely as I should have, which probably explains the 108/200 score. I found myself skimming the longer questions. And I didn't "critically" read the answers. I'm going to buckle down over the next few weeks, and I should be set come test day. With more prep, I should hit the 125-130 range (raw).

I've already reviewed a few answers, and now recognize that I made some pretty dumb mistakes.

I also noticed that I got more wrong on the second set of 100 questions, especially near the end. That just tells me that my mind got fatigued near the end. But with more prepping--and the occasional word of support here--I should be good to go come test day :)

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:13 pm

kykiske wrote:Yeah, thanks for the reinforcement guys.

I'm not freaking out. To be SUPER honest, I didn't really take this test as closely as I should have, which probably explains the 108/200 score. I found myself skimming the longer questions. And I didn't "critically" read the answers. I'm going to buckle down over the next few weeks, and I should be set come test day. With more prep, I should hit the 125-130 range (raw).

I've already reviewed a few answers, and now recognize that I made some pretty dumb mistakes.

I also noticed that I got more wrong on the second set of 100 questions, especially near the end. That just tells me that my mind got fatigued near the end. But with more prepping--and the occasional word of support here--I should be good to go come test day :)
Thought some of the con law questions were very difficult.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:36 pm

941law wrote:
kykiske wrote:Yeah, thanks for the reinforcement guys.

Thought some of the con law questions were very difficult.
The strangest one was a property Q. It gave us like a diagram, and asked us how to "properly re-draw" the boundary lines, or something of that nature.

I just put down a random answer and moved on.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:55 pm

That property one was nuts. I hadn't encountered that type of problem before. I got it right but wtf at that one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Hey have any Adaptibar users done the Simulated MBE yet? I'm curious as to how y'all did if anyone is comfortable sharing. I didn't buy it and it'd be interesting to know whether I ought to have.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:47 pm

how long do you get for 200 q's?

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:49 pm

I checked with my tutor. He said that: 1. You can't pass based on the MBE alone; and 2. You need about 67% overall to pass. This applies to the NY exam.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:51 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:how long do you get for 200 q's?
3 hours before lunch, 3 hours after lunch, 100 questions each 3-hour session.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:57 pm

mushybrain wrote:That property one was nuts. I hadn't encountered that type of problem before. I got it right but wtf at that one.
I read the question, and the only thought I had before putting down "C" was "lolwhut."

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I take back everything I said about other lecturers.

Paula Franzese is the absolute worst. Stop wasting my time with your fucking god awful singing and stupid personal stories.
I actually like her a lot and she's probably why I got an A in property given I didn't buy the textbook or do a single reading, but the stories and motivational speeches take too long and feel rehearsed. She also speaks like a New Yorker so 1.5x for her is like playing Freer at 10x. I could do most at 1.75-2 but her I'm at 1.0

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
So about 1.8 minutes per question. Of course, some questions will take like, 20 seconds. Others may take like 5 minutes. For example, some property ones run for 3-4 paragraphs.

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 pm

kykiske wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
So about 1.8 minutes per question. Of course, some questions will take like, 20 seconds. Others may take like 5 minutes. For example, some property ones run for 3-4 paragraphs.
People seem to say that the BARBRI questions are longer than the real questions though so keep that in mind.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:08 pm

You get 180 minutes for 100 questions? That seems not very hard. The questions are hard, but they generally don't take that long.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:12 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:You get 180 minutes for 100 questions? That seems not very hard. The questions are hard, but they generally don't take that long.
I keep on hearing that Barbri's Qs are statistically longer and harder. To be honest, I'd just prefer that they accurately reflect what we see on test day. My worst fear is that I overthink the questions on the actual exam, and get something wrong, because I'm used to overanalyzing the Barbri Qs.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:14 pm

kykiske wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:You get 180 minutes for 100 questions? That seems not very hard. The questions are hard, but they generally don't take that long.
I keep on hearing that Barbri's Qs are statistically longer and harder. To be honest, I'd just prefer that they accurately reflect what we see on test day. My worst fear is that I overthink the questions on the actual exam, and get something wrong, because I'm used to overanalyzing the Barbri Qs.
Yep. I worry about that too.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 pm

3|ink wrote:
kykiske wrote:
Yep. I worry about that too.
I think if you're putting in the work and keeping up you're about 99 percent good. First time test takers are around 80 percent likely to pass, and you're probably outworking a majority you're already smarter than. My biggest fear is I won't be able to study hard in July as I'm way behind. I really haven't gotten my work ethic back since 1L, and need to start trying. There's no more observational humor and a couple good points equal B plus strategy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”