BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

lawstudent_87

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby lawstudent_87 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Is anyone else having trouble completing these property questions in 1.8 minutes? Is BarBri known for having longer fact patterns than the real MBE?

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Just started House of Cards, Season 3. Way behind on the curve. Liking it so far.

So tempted to say "meh, I can study tomorrow" and watch more HoC.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
Ineedhelpplease wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
kykiske wrote:How many hours a day have people been studying? I block off about 8 per day. But no way I spend 8 hours studying; it's probably more like 4.5-5. 6 on a good day.

Honestly feel somewhat guilty. I'm seeing Twitter updates/FB posts about how some of my former classmates are studying "12-16 hours per day" and still feel behind. I'm doing about 1/3 of that.

That's probably exactly where I am. I've done everything barbri assigns and have hit my MPQ goals. I occasionally add extra MBE questions from Emanuel or review critical pass flashcards but right now I'm just trying to take it all in. July will be more painful but I'll also be focusing on memorization.

Hey, I am debating dropping the cards all together. Have you found them useful? I was really hoping to have them to lean on in July.

They're okay. Early on I had a few short days so I used them to drill Contracts rules and I felt like they were very useful for strict memorization. I have found that flashcards are the best way for me to memorize. Since then I've been using them to just refresh/review the subjects, instead of memorizing, and they're little more than a more efficient version of the lecture handout. I really feel that they'll be useful next month, though.

Dropped, with the possible exception of Civ Pro.

What's your plan for review/memorization? I've heard that a lot of people just create extremely condensed outlines and memorize those.

That's it! I frontloaded the lectures and will spend this week outlining outlines. July will be about practice questions. Those flashcards are too long.
Last edited by myrtlewinston on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 pm

florentine wrote:Did the first Mixed Subject Set of 50 questions. Is there an average we should be looking for on this set?

I want to know this too. I think I saw somewhere to be looking for about 50% now, and 60% on the later practice tests, but I don't know where I got that from. I know the half and full day practice MBEs are 60-62%.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:13 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
Ineedhelpplease wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
kykiske wrote:How many hours a day have people been studying? I block off about 8 per day. But no way I spend 8 hours studying; it's probably more like 4.5-5. 6 on a good day.

Honestly feel somewhat guilty. I'm seeing Twitter updates/FB posts about how some of my former classmates are studying "12-16 hours per day" and still feel behind. I'm doing about 1/3 of that.

That's probably exactly where I am. I've done everything barbri assigns and have hit my MPQ goals. I occasionally add extra MBE questions from Emanuel or review critical pass flashcards but right now I'm just trying to take it all in. July will be more painful but I'll also be focusing on memorization.

Hey, I am debating dropping the cards all together. Have you found them useful? I was really hoping to have them to lean on in July.

They're okay. Early on I had a few short days so I used them to drill Contracts rules and I felt like they were very useful for strict memorization. I have found that flashcards are the best way for me to memorize. Since then I've been using them to just refresh/review the subjects, instead of memorizing, and they're little more than a more efficient version of the lecture handout. I really feel that they'll be useful next month, though.

Dropped, with the possible exception of Civ Pro.

What's your plan for review/memorization? I've heard that a lot of people just create extremely condensed outlines and memorize those.

Curious for those doing flashcards on CivPro...what exactly is going on those flashcards? Is it like "FRCP 57" and "Explain Joinder"? CivPro seems more structural than any one-term flashcard could provide (i.e., outlines, writing essay questions, etc. seems more useful). CrimLaw on the other hand or CrimPro seem more conducive: elements of...larceny, burglary, etc.

I'm really taking the Barbri's MBE diagnostics to heart/committing to their method. I'm going over all the questions on the diogs, reading their answers, adding that to a mass word document for all my bar approach, and then studying via AMP for those topics they recommend. Considering the passs rate, I'm worried that people doing flashcards might be in the weeds--spending too much time coming up with other methods rather than learning.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:18 pm

I have no idea where my scantron is packed in all the boxes I brought home from Chicago, so I guess I'm doing the simulated MBE at home.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:21 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:Curious for those doing flashcards on CivPro...what exactly is going on those flashcards? Is it like "FRCP 57" and "Explain Joinder"? CivPro seems more structural than any one-term flashcard could provide (i.e., outlines, writing essay questions, etc. seems more useful). CrimLaw on the other hand or CrimPro seem more conducive: elements of...larceny, burglary, etc.

I'm really taking the Barbri's MBE diagnostics to heart/committing to their method. I'm going over all the questions on the diogs, reading their answers, adding that to a mass word document for all my bar approach, and then studying via AMP for those topics they recommend. Considering the passs rate, I'm worried that people doing flashcards might be in the weeds--spending too much time coming up with other methods rather than learning.

They're definitely more appropriate for CrimLaw/Property/Contracts/Torts. I'm probably going to rely on a condensed outline for Con Law and Civil Procedure.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 pm

If anything, Amp is way more in the weeds than Critical Pass. The flash cards are just tiny summaries of the basic rules. I find them useful for reviewing, especially for topics where reviewing the CMR or lecture handouts would take forever. They really help with my basic understanding though and help me get a better sense of the condensed framework of a topic. I haven't actually quizzed myself on memorization with them at all at this point, other than some Crim/Crim Pro stuff. Everyone learns differently, but they certainly aren't a time sink or anything for me. I don't see them as looking for another "method" at all, at least any more than your Word doc would be--they're basically straight out of the CMR.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 pm

mushybrain wrote:If anything, Amp is way more in the weeds than Critical Pass. The flash cards are just tiny summaries of the basic rules. I find them useful for reviewing, especially for topics where reviewing the CMR or lecture handouts would take forever. They really help with my basic understanding though and help me get a better sense of the condensed framework of a topic. I haven't actually quizzed myself on memorization with them at all at this point, other than some Crim/Crim Pro stuff. Everyone learns differently, but they certainly aren't a time sink or anything for me. I don't see them as looking for another "method" at all, at least any more than your Word doc would be--they're basically straight out of the CMR.

That makes more sense. For some reason, I got the impression some people were actually making their own flashcards, too, which struck me more as, "I'm stressed so I'm going to do arts & crafts and call it work." I did one thing of Amp, and it's indeed a little intense.

How much do we think AMP matches up to MBE questions, in terms of style and such? I'm wondering if doing too much AMP could hurt if you're just memorizing style/patterns/etc.??

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm

lawstudent_87 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble completing these property questions in 1.8 minutes? Is BarBri known for having longer fact patterns than the real MBE?

Yes. They're hard. I consistently average 1.25 minutes in all other subjects. For property, I average 2 minutes.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:37 pm

mushybrain wrote:If anything, Amp is way more in the weeds than Critical Pass. The flash cards are just tiny summaries of the basic rules. I find them useful for reviewing, especially for topics where reviewing the CMR or lecture handouts would take forever. They really help with my basic understanding though and help me get a better sense of the condensed framework of a topic. I haven't actually quizzed myself on memorization with them at all at this point, other than some Crim/Crim Pro stuff. Everyone learns differently, but they certainly aren't a time sink or anything for me. I don't see them as looking for another "method" at all, at least any more than your Word doc would be--they're basically straight out of the CMR.

I think it is definitely true that AMP goes way deeper than Critical Pass. But it isn't comprehensive. In my experience, it goes deep on some topics and not deep on others.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:38 pm

3|ink wrote:
lawstudent_87 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble completing these property questions in 1.8 minutes? Is BarBri known for having longer fact patterns than the real MBE?

Yes. They're hard. I consistently average 1.25 minutes in all other subjects. For property, I average 2 minutes.

I thought the property questions were insanely hard (yesterday in the book). I got 45% correct.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:

I started watching Sons of Anarchy during bar prep. So no, I've not been prepping 8 hours a day.

I spend a good 5-6 hours a day studying. The rest is dedicated to (a) wrangling toddler, (b) rebuilding my deck (though nothing has happened here since I took down my work tent for tropical storm), and (c) bingewatching all of GoT (wife reminded me that I started in Season 2 and that a lot of my questions related to my skipping S1, so I bingewatched S1, and then decided that I'd probably missed a lot in subsequent seasons due to my ignorance... am now in mid-S4).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:52 pm

When you guys say how much time you spend studying a day, are you including the time spent watching the lectures?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:58 pm

3|ink wrote:When you guys say how much time you spend studying a day, are you including the time spent watching the lectures?

I would include that. I usually watch the lectures at 1.5x and am supplementing my Critical Pass cards at the same time, so it's actually some of my more active studying time.

I guess if I was just passively filling in blanks it might not be that helpful.

I did a solid 10 hours yesterday, and today has basically just been a loss. I suck at this.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 pm

BVest wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:

I started watching Sons of Anarchy during bar prep. So no, I've not been prepping 8 hours a day.

I spend a good 5-6 hours a day studying. The rest is dedicated to (a) wrangling toddler, (b) rebuilding my deck (though nothing has happened here since I took down my work tent for tropical storm), and (c) bingewatching all of GoT (wife reminded me that I started in Season 2 and that a lot of my questions related to my skipping S1, so I bingewatched S1, and then decided that I'd probably missed a lot in subsequent seasons due to my ignorance... am now in mid-S4).

Also clocking in at 5-6 hours a day. I feel a little guilty that I'm not considtently hitting 8-10 productive hours. I'm almost caught up with the PSP, for whatever that's worth. I'll usually do the lecture, an MBE set or assigned essay, and then I'll outline the course. I'm trying to make attack outlines for every subject. Some AMP every now and then to mix it up.

I suspect we'll be stepping it up a lot in a few days from now :/

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Doing about four hours a day. Not even close to caught up. At average completion.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Doing about four hours a day. Not even close to caught up. At average completion.

O hey there buddy. Me too.

HLBE689

Postby HLBE689 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:27 pm

hate how the MPQ sets make me feel like I am getting worse, not better. damn it, Barbri

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 am

HLBE689 wrote:hate how the MPQ sets make me feel like I am getting worse, not better. damn it, Barbri

Agreed.

Fun thing happened to me today:

Yesterday evening: Contracts Set 1 - 14/18
[Tons of time spent reviewing contracts, doing AMPs, tweaking flash cards, etc.]
This evening: Contracts Set 2 - 5/18

Barbri says the average scores for these are 12/18 and 10/18, respectively. I call bullshit.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:54 am

Anyone else using the Emanuels MBE book finding those questions way easier than the Barbri questions? In the Emanuels questions, the wrong choices are much more obviously wrong. Does the actual MBE more closely resemble the Emanuels or Barbri?

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Doing about four hours a day. Not even close to caught up. At average completion.

O hey there buddy. Me too.

in this group as well. right on, guys.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:19 am

brotherdarkness wrote:Anyone else using the Emanuels MBE book finding those questions way easier than the Barbri questions? In the Emanuels questions, the wrong choices are much more obviously wrong. Does the actual MBE more closely resemble the Emanuels or Barbri?

Yes they are easier than Barbri, and yes I think they are more indicative of the actual test questions, reason being that they are all actually previously administered questions (aside from civ pro). The same principle holds true for Adapitbar; no asinine "got ya"s based on the wording of the question or narrowing down 4 equally bad answer choices.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:24 am

Kage3212 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Anyone else using the Emanuels MBE book finding those questions way easier than the Barbri questions? In the Emanuels questions, the wrong choices are much more obviously wrong. Does the actual MBE more closely resemble the Emanuels or Barbri?

Yes they are easier than Barbri, and yes I think they are more indicative of the actual test questions, reason being that they are all actually previously administered questions (aside from civ pro). The same principle holds true for Adapitbar; no asinine "got ya"s based on the wording of the question or narrowing down 4 equally bad answer choices.

This is confusing to me...I just read a post about how Barbri UNDERprepares for the bar, and that the MBE is a lot tougher than Barbri. Which is it? And how do we know?

Also, on this very page someone said Barbri is less comprehensive...does this mean that Barbri is underteaching certain topics, but at the same time going too in-depth on the issue it does cover?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:48 am

LawGuy321 wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:

This is confusing to me...I just read a post about how Barbri UNDERprepares for the bar, and that the MBE is a lot tougher than Barbri. Which is it? And how do we know?

Also, on this very page someone said Barbri is less comprehensive...does this mean that Barbri is underteaching certain topics, but at the same time going too in-depth on the issue it does cover?

Try searching some comments from previous bar takers about Adaptibar and the E&E book on here. I believe previous bar examinees that I have seen post on these forums overwhelming agree that performance on Adaptibar is more indicative of your score come exam day than is Barbri's percent correct. Percentile rank is a whole different beast to assess.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”