BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Neff wrote:Most of Barbri is a flame. The whole system is geared toward making you feel shitty about yourself and scaring you into overstudying. My attitude for this whole thing is that so long as you put in reasonable efforts studying your way (screw the Barbri schedule), pretty much all of us (i.e. those who care enough about this to frequent the TLS forum) will pass. You have to keep in mind that you just need to stay above the bottom 20% NOT of other Barbri type-As but of the general population of bar takers. When you factor in repeaters, self-studiers, TTTTTers (five Ts), people who get sick/just don't study etc, the odds are so much in our favor it's not even funny.

I'd only stress, maybe a little, if you're in CA.

This is my feeling. I'm in NY and 83% of first time takers pass. That also includes a number of people who are ESL. It's hard to know how much to work bc I agree it seems like Barbri is trying to scare us but at the same time it would be a big nightmare to fail the bar.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Neff wrote:Most of Barbri is a flame. The whole system is geared toward making you feel shitty about yourself and scaring you into overstudying. My attitude for this whole thing is that so long as you put in reasonable efforts studying your way (screw the Barbri schedule), pretty much all of us (i.e. those who care enough about this to frequent the TLS forum) will pass. You have to keep in mind that you just need to stay above the bottom 20% NOT of other Barbri type-As but of the general population of bar takers. When you factor in repeaters, self-studiers, TTTTTers (five Ts), people who get sick/just don't study etc, the odds are so much in our favor it's not even funny.

This is my feeling. I'm in NY and 83% of first time takers pass. That also includes a number of people who are ESL. It's hard to know how much to work bc I agree it seems like Barbri is trying to scare us but at the same time it would be a big nightmare to fail the bar.

Oregon only has a 71% first-time pass rate. :?

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:51 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

It's to Barbri's benefit to overwhelm us. This way, we can't complain that they didn't give us enough material.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:54 am

Ineedhelpplease wrote:I just went through the property lecture outline with the critical pass cards and for the most part they were on point. I added in my notes from the course. It took so much time and at this point I have really steered away from the psp. I have condensed outlines from friends who took Barbri. With 5 weeks to go, I think it might be too late to get back onto the Barbri plan.

Oh and I haven't touched an essay yet. I have been listening to the MP3 from the Seperac site.

Happy Father's Day 8)

If the outlines are good, I'd study from them and use the time saved to practise questions.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:54 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

Does your school state an Oregon pass rate? That could be reassuring.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:00 am

Anyone know what percentage of questions right / ranking you need for the MBE to autopass? UBE state, 270 required to pass. I'm hoping my MBE scores are high enough so I don't have to freak out about the essays.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:42 am

Ohio first time takers have a passage rate in the mid-80s. However, the top schools in the state routinely hit 90%. Honestly, for most states it seems that if you take it seriously and understand how to analyze the issues you will pass. At this point, it all comes down to being able to memorize all this material so that I can write a decent essay.

Side note: Does anyone think that Con Law essays can be tricky compared to the MBE (more so than for other subjects)? I feel like the MBE is relatively easy because most of the time I can eliminate 2 choices immediately. With the essays, it seems like the fact pattern is so broad but the issue is so narrow that it can be hard to identify.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:33 am

Anyone taken Suretyship/Creditors' Rights?

My lecturer has a handout that he borrowed from another professor. And he doesn't follow it. Fucking worthless.

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:35 am

1 hOW MANY HOURS DO YOU STUDY?

2 HOW TO SUBMIT TO barbri to essay grading?

Thanks

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:40 am

Outis Onoma wrote:Anyone know what percentage of questions right / ranking you need for the MBE to autopass? UBE state, 270 required to pass. I'm hoping my MBE scores are high enough so I don't have to freak out about the essays.

I actually asked Texas "Barbri" this question last week and the answer was as follows:

I know this isn't the answer that you want to hear but, it depends. Because the MBE is based on a curve I can't tell you a certain number that you need to get correct to pass. However, I can say that if you look at your percentage based on everyone else in your PSP, then you can get a good idea on which subjects you would pass on. i would say if you are doing better than about 40% of other students, then you are going to be good. I say that because the pass rate in Texas is roughly 70%, that means that you just need to do better than 30% of the students. However, the MBE is on a national curve so you will want a little cushion. So you could be doing great on con law for example and getting 90% of those questions correct, but if everyone else is getting 95% of them correct, then you are behind the curve. Sorry this isn't a definite answer, but hope it gives you a better understanding in setting your goals.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:11 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

Nope, I went to NU. There are like five alums in the state.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:04 pm

The Oregon bar passage rate may be low in part because there are no T14 schools in the state and relatively few t14 students going there (weaker students sitting for the exam). This is pure speculation of course, but bar passage is positively correlated with law school grades and law school ranking.

On a side note, chemerinsky is the fking man.

MPTPWZ1026

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:22 pm

charlesxavier wrote: Side note: Does anyone think that Con Law essays can be tricky compared to the MBE (more so than for other subjects)? I feel like the MBE is relatively easy because most of the time I can eliminate 2 choices immediately. With the essays, it seems like the fact pattern is so broad but the issue is so narrow that it can be hard to identify.

Con Law was my first subject, so also my first essays, but by far I found it to be the hardest. The rest of the subjects seem pretty clear cut on what they want you to analyze. Even if you don't have the exact specific rule memorized, you know what area you're being tested on. Not so for Con Law, in my opinion.

MPTPWZ1026

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 pm

RaleighStClair wrote: I saw that Emanuel's is from 2012, and so it doesn't have any Civ Pro. Do you guys know of any books with actual MBE questions that do include Civ Pro?

My book came with a card and a code to access Civ Pro questions.

It's my understanding that nobody has real Civ Pro questions out yet because the bar examiners have only been testing Civ Pro on the MBE for such a short time. It's likely that they are still using most of the same questions, and so they don't have enough of a "bank" to release any that will no longer be used.

Ineedhelpplease

Postby Ineedhelpplease » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:The Oregon bar passage rate may be low in part because there are no T14 schools in the state and relatively few t14 students going there (weaker students sitting for the exam). This is pure speculation of course, but bar passage is positively correlated with law school grades and law school ranking.

Ive loved Chemerinsky all through law school but he is kicking my ass in his lecture.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Ineedhelpplease wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:The Oregon bar passage rate may be low in part because there are no T14 schools in the state and relatively few t14 students going there (weaker students sitting for the exam). This is pure speculation of course, but bar passage is positively correlated with law school grades and law school ranking.

Ive loved Chemerinsky all through law school but he is kicking my ass in his lecture.

His book saved me in law school, but I had trouble following his lectures.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:59 pm

bluewin888 wrote:1 hOW MANY HOURS DO YOU STUDY?

2 HOW TO SUBMIT TO barbri to essay grading?

Thanks

2: Submit through the barbri site. Click on the essay assignment and it will have a button for you to upload your submission (.doc or other acceptable file format)

stronitsing

Postby stronitsing » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:31 pm

"you might remember the many cases that involved state taxes on dairy..the states were obviously trying to milk as much business for in state dairy at the expense of utters"

genius

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

Nope, I went to NU. There are like five alums in the state.

My school's pass rate was 72 in my state a couple years ago. Def not reassuring.

With all you who haven't done any essays. I started June 7 and have been motoring through lectures, making flashcards doing MBE questions. No idea how I'm gonna learn all this.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:With all you who haven't done any essays. I started June 7 and have been motoring through lectures, making flashcards doing MBE questions. No idea how I'm gonna learn all this.

i've done a couple. open book and i still end up misstating the law and overlooking key issues and facts. and the meager analysis i do get is usually wrong. and this is for mbe subjects that i've supposedly learned. pretty fun

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:05 pm

My thoughts on MPQ Contracts Set 3 --> WTF!!! I should probably do some Adaptibar questions to redeem my confidence.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Was flipping through the early pages of the MPQ today, and realized that I never did the "MBE Preview Diagnostic Exam."

Did I miss something, or were we assigned to do this?

Charger

Postby Charger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Was flipping through the early pages of the MPQ today, and realized that I never did the "MBE Preview Diagnostic Exam."

I discovered the diagnostic a few weeks back and was like, wtf why didn't they tell us to do this? But then I realized it's a good thing. Who cares about getting a diagnostic on subjects we haven't looked at since 1L. And not having done it means there's an extra set of 100 practice qs later in the game.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Charger wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Was flipping through the early pages of the MPQ today, and realized that I never did the "MBE Preview Diagnostic Exam."

I discovered the diagnostic a few weeks back and was like, wtf why didn't they tell us to do this? But then I realized it's a good thing. Who cares about getting a diagnostic on subjects we haven't looked at since 1L. And not having done it means there's an extra set of 100 practice qs later in the game.

That's true. I'll take free questions.

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 pm

Just feeling increasingly anxious. I couldn't sleep at all last night, I ended up getting out of bed, finishing half of the Contracts lecture, and then falling asleep out of exhaustion in the morning. :|

I just don't know how I'm going to cram all of this by exam time. :cry:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”