BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:17 pm

3|ink wrote:Holy crap. He doesn't even provide a lecture handout. What the hell?!?


Barbri: "Professor Schechter strongly believes in note-taking. You can read the Conviser instead."

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:25 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
He did the same thing with Domestic Relations. I asked Barbri if there was a video by someone else I could watch, and was told "read the Conviser instead." Schechter's videos should have a disclaimer: For Entertainment Purposes Only.


Yeah, Schechter's lectures were entertaining, but he was way too cursory on a lot of the subject matter. Even if you transcribed everything he said word-for-word, you'd still be missing a lot of important doctrine. He purported to focus on the "important," "heavily tested" stuff. But if the MPQ questions (and even the real Adaptibar questions) are any indication, he left out stuff we need to know. I appreciate that the lecturers are trying to simply things and make them understandable and memorable, but I'd personally prefer they do less simplifying and be more inclusive.

Outis Onoma
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Outis Onoma » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:26 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
3|ink wrote:Holy crap. He doesn't even provide a lecture handout. What the hell?!?


Barbri: "Professor Schechter strongly believes in note-taking. You can read the Conviser instead."



I would reply and tell them "I would strongly suggest you don't use Schechter again."

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Is there a way to view completed MPQs?

I completed property MPQ 3 earlier today and meant to go back and review the answers later. Now I can't seem to bring them back up.

User avatar
Loud Kiddington
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Loud Kiddington » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:56 pm

3|ink wrote:Is there a way to view completed MPQs?

I completed property MPQ 3 earlier today and meant to go back and review the answers later. Now I can't seem to bring them back up.



Go to enrolled student center, and to studysmart MBE under additional bar review materials - then review results and then tests taken.

There's probably a faster way but I havent found it

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Loud Kiddington wrote:
3|ink wrote:Is there a way to view completed MPQs?

I completed property MPQ 3 earlier today and meant to go back and review the answers later. Now I can't seem to bring them back up.



Go to enrolled student center, and to studysmart MBE under additional bar review materials - then review results and then tests taken.

There's probably a faster way but I havent found it

Thanks

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
3|ink wrote:Holy crap. He doesn't even provide a lecture handout. What the hell?!?


Barbri: "Professor Schechter strongly believes in note-taking. You can read the Conviser instead."



I would reply and tell them "I would strongly suggest you don't use Schechter again."


I said something to that effect. The reply was: "Reasonable minds can disagree."

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
He did the same thing with Domestic Relations. I asked Barbri if there was a video by someone else I could watch, and was told "read the Conviser instead." Schechter's videos should have a disclaimer: For Entertainment Purposes Only.


Yeah, Schechter's lectures were entertaining, but he was way too cursory on a lot of the subject matter. Even if you transcribed everything he said word-for-word, you'd still be missing a lot of important doctrine. He purported to focus on the "important," "heavily tested" stuff. But if the MPQ questions (and even the real Adaptibar questions) are any indication, he left out stuff we need to know. I appreciate that the lecturers are trying to simply things and make them understandable and memorable, but I'd personally prefer they do less simplifying and be more inclusive.



With the possible exception of Epstein, I thought the rest did good jobs.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5712
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BVest » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 pm

941law wrote:Does the ABA, or whoever, write both test days?


As Rink said, it depends on your state; Texas is 3 days:

1 day is 90 minutes of Texas Procedure and 1/2 of the MPT (the full MPT is two 90-minute questions; Texas does one)
1 day is MBE
1 day is Texas Essays

As you might guess, the NCBE writes the MPT and the MBE. Texas State Board of Law Examiners writes the Texas Procedure and Texas Essays.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:48 am

Anyone else finding the Torts MBE questions (in Studysmart / MPQ) to be extremely difficult? I guess I can just tell from the percentile-percentage correct ratio, but I guess I'm wondering why these ones are so much harder than other subjects'?

I thought torts was supposed to be the easiest section of the MBE. I'm getting really frustrated :cry:

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:55 am

Has anyone else had Michael Sabbath for contracts and sales? How comprehensive did you find his handout?

Considering whether its worth making my own outline w/ the CMR.

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:42 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone else finding the Torts MBE questions (in Studysmart / MPQ) to be extremely difficult? I guess I can just tell from the percentile-percentage correct ratio, but I guess I'm wondering why these ones are so much harder than other subjects'?

I thought torts was supposed to be the easiest section of the MBE. I'm getting really frustrated :cry:


I've been doing poorly on the torts MC questions, as well. Not sure if the torts questions are harder or if I just assumed torts would be easy and didn't study enough.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Anyone mind answering a statute of frauds question? I think I have a conflict between my lecture handout and the CMR.

The statute of frauds is satisfied as to the persons who sign the contract. That just mean that the other party to the contract cannot raise the statute of frauds defense against the signing party, right?

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:29 pm

I studied before I did the Torts questions, but had up-and-down results. Defected to Adaptibar.

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:29 pm

3|ink wrote:Anyone mind answering a statute of frauds question? I think I have a conflict between my lecture handout and the CMR.

The statute of frauds is satisfied as to the persons who sign the contract. That just mean that the other party to the contract cannot raise the statute of frauds defense against the signing party, right?


In general, yes.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:31 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
3|ink wrote:Anyone mind answering a statute of frauds question? I think I have a conflict between my lecture handout and the CMR.

The statute of frauds is satisfied as to the persons who sign the contract. That just mean that the other party to the contract cannot raise the statute of frauds defense against the signing party, right?


In general, yes.

Thanks

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:43 pm

You're welcome.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5712
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BVest » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
3|ink wrote:Anyone mind answering a statute of frauds question? I think I have a conflict between my lecture handout and the CMR.

The statute of frauds is satisfied as to the persons who sign the contract. That just mean that the other party to the contract cannot raise the statute of frauds defense against the signing party, right?


In general, yes.


I may have misunderstood the question, but a party who has not signed a contract that is subject to SOF can always raise a SOF defense.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:35 pm

BVest wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
3|ink wrote:Anyone mind answering a statute of frauds question? I think I have a conflict between my lecture handout and the CMR.

The statute of frauds is satisfied as to the persons who sign the contract. That just mean that the other party to the contract cannot raise the statute of frauds defense against the signing party, right?


In general, yes.


I may have misunderstood the question, but a party who has not signed a contract that is subject to SOF can always raise a SOF defense.

So the effect of satisfying the statute of frauds is that the signing party cannot raise the SOF defense. But the party that did not sign can raise that defense?

This is what was confusing me.

cdelgado
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby cdelgado » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:59 pm

So I am trying to keep up with Barbri's schedule, which means completing the essays when assigned. My state focuses heavily on the essays as compared to the MBE.

Because I do not have the law completely memorized, I am missing some of the elements of the causes of action on the essays (still spotting the issues). Is that normal at this time? Or should I have this down by now? The fact that I'm missing parts of the elements is concerning me.

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:00 pm

3|ink wrote:
BVest wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
3|ink wrote:Anyone mind answering a statute of frauds question? I think I have a conflict between my lecture handout and the CMR.

The statute of frauds is satisfied as to the persons who sign the contract. That just mean that the other party to the contract cannot raise the statute of frauds defense against the signing party, right?


In general, yes.


I may have misunderstood the question, but a party who has not signed a contract that is subject to SOF can always raise a SOF defense.

So the effect of satisfying the statute of frauds is that the signing party cannot raise the SOF defense. But the party that did not sign can raise that defense?

This is what was confusing me.


Sorry for the confusion (I didn't get enough sleep). Only the party to be charged can raise the SoF as a defence, provided that the contract falls under the SoF to begin with.

bluesnowflake
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby bluesnowflake » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:23 pm

cdelgado wrote:So I am trying to keep up with Barbri's schedule, which means completing the essays when assigned. My state focuses heavily on the essays as compared to the MBE.

Because I do not have the law completely memorized, I am missing some of the elements of the causes of action on the essays (still spotting the issues). Is that normal at this time? Or should I have this down by now? The fact that I'm missing parts of the elements is concerning me.


It worries me too, but you're fine. Part of doing the essays is that once you miss something, you won't forget it again, at least according to Barbri.

We still have lots of time to memorize. :)

kykiske
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kykiske » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:26 pm

I don't know about you guys, but the Civ. Pro. MBE sets have been going much better.

My confidence was shredded after bombing most of the Property MBE sets. But I'm consistently scoring 13-15/18 on the Civ. Pro sets.

Charger
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Charger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:51 pm

kykiske wrote:I don't know about you guys, but the Civ. Pro. MBE sets have been going much better.

My confidence was shredded after bombing most of the Property MBE sets. But I'm consistently scoring 13-15/18 on the Civ. Pro sets.


Yep, same for me. And I suspect for most people too. If you look at the average scores for the Civ Pro sets, the average scores are slightly higher for that subject than for others. Even so, it's helped with my sanity after tanking so hard on the property sets.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Does it matter whether we complete the MBE questions in the book or in StudySmart? I know the schedule wants us to do some online and some in the book, but I'm finding it more convenient to do the Qs online because (1) I don't have to carry around that huge book and (2) I like having all of my past questions in one spot, so I can easily see which I got wrong and review later.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dlaw7566, jaysgirl42671 and 8 guests