BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

ReachTheBar79

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:18 pm

LSATclincher wrote:To anyone stressing out while waiting, don't.

I had a 95 Barbri midterm score and passed. Barbri's statement that you increase your MBE score by 15-20 points was spot on.

The MBE has hard as shit for everyone, but as long as you nailed the essays you will be good!

Congrats! Which state? Are your MBE and essays weighed equally?
I got a 95 on the Barbri midterm, a 105 on the PMBR one. I'm so nervous. I took two bars....I need a total of 270 on one and 276 on the other!

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:

I had a 95 Barbri midterm score and passed. Barbri's statement that you increase your MBE score by 15-20 points was spot on.

The MBE has hard as shit for everyone, but as long as you nailed the essays you will be good!

I got a 95 on the Barbri midterm, a 105 on the PMBR one. I'm so nervous. I took two bars....I need a total of 270 on one and 276 on the other!

I took PA which weighs the MBE at 45% and the essays/performance test at 55%. PA requires 272. If you left essay day feeling good, you'll be fine. The essay graders want to give you points. BarBri was on point when they said you can pick points there.

ReachTheBar79

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:36 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

I took PA which weighs the MBE at 45% and the essays/performance test at 55%. PA requires 272. If you left essay day feeling good, you'll be fine. The essay graders want to give you points. BarBri was on point when they said you can pick points there.

Thank you. I need a 270 for MA and it's weighed 50-50 between the MBE and essays. I need a 276 for RI. RI's breakdown: MBE is 50%, the MPT is 9%, and the essays are 41%. I left the essay day feeling really great. I left the MBE thinking that it was hard. I had a lot of D's during the AM session, especially in the first column. I am upset with myself because I had to guess on some of the final questions, especially in the first session, so I literally bubbled in all B's for at least 10 answers before time was called. What would someone need to get on the essays, if weighed equally, to pass IF I got a lower MBE score? Also, is it possible to know by how many points the MBE was scaled? I'm not sure whether it's scaled nationally or by state...

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:51 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

Thank you. I need a 270 for MA and it's weighed 50-50 between the MBE and essays. I need a 276 for RI. RI's breakdown: MBE is 50%, the MPT is 9%, and the essays are 41%. I left the essay day feeling really great. I left the MBE thinking that it was hard. I had a lot of D's during the AM session, especially in the first column. I am upset with myself because I had to guess on some of the final questions, especially in the first session, so I literally bubbled in all B's for at least 10 answers before time was called. What would someone need to get on the essays, if weighed equally, to pass IF I got a lower MBE score? Also, is it possible to know by how many points the MBE was scaled? I'm not sure whether it's scaled nationally or by state...

I assumed the scale to be 15 points for MBE. Traditionally that is what it is. And that coincides with the 15-20 point raw bump from the midterm to the real MBE. You're fine if you felt great on essay day. No one felt good after MBE day.

ReachTheBar79

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:04 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

I assumed the scale to be 15 points for MBE. Traditionally that is what it is. And that coincides with the 15-20 point raw bump from the midterm to the real MBE. You're fine if you felt great on essay day. No one felt good after MBE day.

Interesting. So is the 15 point raw bump the cause of the 15 points that BarBri promises? Because BarBri promises that people generally do better by 15-20 points, perhaps it is because the MBE is usually scaled by that many points...

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Pretty sure I got a 108 raw on the Barbri midterm, and just found out I got a 153 on the actual MBE. So... that was unexpected. Thanks Barbri?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:21 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

Interesting. So is the 15 point raw bump the cause of the 15 points that BarBri promises? Because BarBri promises that people generally do better by 15-20 points, perhaps it is because the MBE is usually scaled by that many points...

No -- Barbri's bump is based on raw score. I calculated the 15 point scale into my raw score to conclude that Bar Bri's bump was true (at least for me).

ReachTheBar79

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:32 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

No -- Barbri's bump is based on raw score. I calculated the 15 point scale into my raw score to conclude that Bar Bri's bump was true (at least for me).

Ok. So if I got a 95 on the midterm, based on BarBri's logic, would I get 110 raw on the MBE? And if that is the raw score, then I would get another 15 because of scaling...?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 pm

[quote}

Yes. 15-20 points raw is what they say. Assuming 15 points is the scale. We do not know.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:59 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
abarrien wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Yusssss

Guess BarBri was worth it.

AZ pass rate 57%

Congrats!!! 57% is brutal.

Down from 75% July 2014.

To be fair 57% is the overall pass rate and it was 68% in 2014. Still a huge drop, though.

But I think it was 75% in 2013, it is crazy for it to drop almost 20% in two years

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:40 pm

For anyone who is still waiting and curious. 126 BarBri Midterm

158 MBE

BigBacon12

Postby BigBacon12 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 am

My UBE score was 271. Barbri midterm was 126 and refresher was 60...so i'm guessing i didn't improve much in July :/

gottagetit

Postby gottagetit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:

Hi, great work! Does anyone have an idea what the maximum Essay score for TX would need to be if the MBE score was 120 scaled? Thanks in advance for your answer (s).

gottagetit

Postby gottagetit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Neff wrote:I think you all should stop this neuroticism. A huge part of not being miserable in life is learning to accept the past and moving forward.

Oh yeah, and congratulations on passing the bar!!!

HA....great post.....

post bar exam!

gottagetit

Postby gottagetit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:35 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
Neff wrote:I think you all should stop this neuroticism. A huge part of not being miserable in life is learning to accept the past and moving forward.

Agreed. If my score was low enough that screwing up one MPT makes me fail then I clearly did a lot of other things wrong. It just sucks knowing I made such a stupid mistake.

I doubt that mistake will cost you too many points. I bet a lot of people did that -- that's hard to keep straight when you're trying to rush an extensive essay in 90 minutes.

If you finished, and used all or most of the materials, you'll be OK as far as the MPT goes.

Hi, do you, or anyone else, think addressing MPT to partner instead of client and running out of time (and not providing a conclusion) will manifest in MPT failure? Thanks.

abarrien

Postby abarrien » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:41 pm

gottagetit wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

Agreed. If my score was low enough that screwing up one MPT makes me fail then I clearly did a lot of other things wrong. It just sucks knowing I made such a stupid mistake.

I doubt that mistake will cost you too many points. I bet a lot of people did that -- that's hard to keep straight when you're trying to rush an extensive essay in 90 minutes.

If you finished, and used all or most of the materials, you'll be OK as far as the MPT goes.

Hi, do you, or anyone else, think addressing MPT to partner instead of client and running out of time (and not providing a conclusion) will manifest in MPT failure? Thanks.

I do not think so. I know someone who addressed the entire letter to the partner instead of the client, like he was supposed to, and passed.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:42 pm

The partner thing, I wouldn't think would be more than a point, but I never studied the MPT. It in no way affects your legal judgment, and seems to be just a common sense mistake - what junior would be brought onto an assignment, forced to learn it all in 90 minutes and then email the client directly?

gottagetit

Postby gottagetit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:Honestly, I think the NCBE was pissed about those TTT law schools complaining about the July 2014 'tough' test, so they made a REALLY TOUGH TEST just to screw with them.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha ....Dano pissed them off!

gottagetit

Postby gottagetit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:10 pm

History_Buff wrote:Well for better or for worse I'm done. Fuck this shit. Where's the goddamn booze?

Hahahahahahaha......you still boozing, I think I might be. Great post!
:mrgreen:

History_Buff

Postby History_Buff » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:46 pm

gottagetit wrote:
History_Buff wrote:Well for better or for worse I'm done. Fuck this shit. Where's the goddamn booze?

I beat a personal best for most alcohol consumed without passing out or throwing up that night.

gottagetit

Postby gottagetit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:04 pm

History_Buff wrote:
gottagetit wrote:

I beat a personal best for most alcohol consumed without passing out or throwing up that night.

lmao. Cool beans. Did your state release results yet? I am in TX....not till next mo.

:(

History_Buff

Postby History_Buff » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Yes, I passed.

Will likely get admitted by affidavit sometime next week.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Less than 2 weeks for Ohio. I'm so ready for this to be over. I just got done finding out the word count for every model answer that the state has released. Even though I can't remember at all, I've convinced myself that all of my essay answers were 2 sentences long.

lspa2015

Postby lspa2015 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:36 am

ReachTheBar79 wrote:

I think it really also depends on what you did to prep for the Barbri midterm. There are those who didn't study at all for the midterm got below 100, but then ended up with 150s and 160s on the actual. I actually think the Barbri final may be a better indication, as well as the Barbri mixed sets.

bear patrol

Postby bear patrol » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:09 am

lspa2015 wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

I think it really also depends on what you did to prep for the Barbri midterm. There are those who didn't study at all for the midterm got below 100, but then ended up with 150s and 160s on the actual. I actually think the Barbri final may be a better indication, as well as the Barbri mixed sets.

I agree with this. I did not study specifically for the Barbri midterm and was feeling good after doing average (~31/50) on the first two mixed sets. I got a 102 on the midterm (~20th percentile). Felt terrible but changed up my attack plan to focus more on MBE. Bought Emanuel's book and went hard after the MBE.

Ended up with a 136 on the actual MBE - while not great, good enough to pass in NY. And that is all that matters to me.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”