BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

hawks12

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby hawks12 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Failed. Score breakdown comes later in the mail.

Will probably lose my DA's office fellowship spot (although hopefully not the fellowship if my school lets me scramble to line up another spot). Oregon doesn't allow you work as a lawyer with a student certification after failing, so I'm mostly useless to them since I can't prosecute cases. Maybe I can see if the DA or AG or PD in Vancouver, WA would take me, because I think Washington doesn’t care about exams and just has a 9 month limit.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. I have Oregon friends who also failed. It was a horrible pass rate this year... must have been one brutal test. Getting Rule 9 certification is super easy, just make sure your application is 100% accurate and you include any traffic related offenses (I had a friend whose parking ticket showed up as a traffic ticket when WSBA was doing their background check on her, called her up, and implied she had lied on her application. They later figured it out, but hearing that story scared me to death when I was trying to get my certification). Anyways, one way or another you'll make it work :)

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Damn, that's terrible. So sorry to hear, rink.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:40 pm

hawks12 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Failed. Score breakdown comes later in the mail.

Will probably lose my DA's office fellowship spot (although hopefully not the fellowship if my school lets me scramble to line up another spot). Oregon doesn't allow you work as a lawyer with a student certification after failing, so I'm mostly useless to them since I can't prosecute cases. Maybe I can see if the DA or AG or PD in Vancouver, WA would take me, because I think Washington doesn’t care about exams and just has a 9 month limit.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. I have Oregon friends who also failed. It was a horrible pass rate this year... must have been one brutal test. Getting Rule 9 certification is super easy, just make sure your application is 100% accurate and you include any traffic related offenses (I had a friend whose parking ticket showed up as a traffic ticket when WSBA was doing their background check on her, called her up, and implied she had lied on her application. They later figured it out, but hearing that story scared me to death when I was trying to get my certification). Anyways, one way or another you'll make it work :)

I'm really sorry, Rink. As a former WA Rule 9, I echo everything above. Good luck; I'm sure everything will work out. I know a number of really intelligent, wonderful people who didn't pass this year.

To be honest, I'm shocked that Oregon would make the passing score so high. What was it, 280-290? Total BS.
Last edited by RaleighStClair on Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Damn, that's terrible. So sorry to hear, rink.

+1. Now officially much more nervous.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:06 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

+1. Now officially much more nervous.

Charger

Postby Charger » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Has anyone received their book deposit back yet? I sent mine back media mail return receipt about a month ago now and still no refund to my credit card.

ResIpsa305

Postby ResIpsa305 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Charger wrote:Has anyone received their book deposit back yet? I sent mine back media mail return receipt about a month ago now and still no refund to my credit card.

Still waiting - sent mine media mail on August 21st. I requested a check.

gk101

Postby gk101 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Mactx

Postby Mactx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:55 pm

ResIpsa305 wrote:
Charger wrote:Has anyone received their book deposit back yet? I sent mine back media mail return receipt about a month ago now and still no refund to my credit card.

Still waiting - sent mine media mail on August 21st. I requested a check.

Super lame. I had to cancel my card and had to request a check.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:34 pm

Thank Christ, I'm keeping my fellowship spot with the DA's office. I can't try cases or officially enter pleas (until after the spring exam hopefully), but they're going to give me plenty of work. 6 months of doing the other attorneys' time-consuming paperwork and contacting victims about restitution is a fair trade for staying employed despite being a big fat bar failure. (no, it won't all be paralegal stuff. That's just what I know how to do so far.)

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Thank Christ, I'm keeping my fellowship spot with the DA's office. I can't try cases or officially enter pleas (until after the spring exam hopefully), but they're going to give me plenty of work. 6 months of doing the other attorneys' time-consuming paperwork and contacting victims about restitution is a fair trade for staying employed despite being a big fat bar failure. (no, it won't all be paralegal stuff. That's just what I know how to do so far.)

Nice! Not ideal but still great news rink.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Thank Christ, I'm keeping my fellowship spot with the DA's office. I can't try cases or officially enter pleas (until after the spring exam hopefully), but they're going to give me plenty of work. 6 months of doing the other attorneys' time-consuming paperwork and contacting victims about restitution is a fair trade for staying employed despite being a big fat bar failure. (no, it won't all be paralegal stuff. That's just what I know how to do so far.)

glad to know you'll be able to keep it the fellowship!

BBPorter

Postby BBPorter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:07 am

Are you at the Multnomah County DA's office? I'm in Deschutes County. I'm so happy to hear that they are keeping you on so that you can kick ass in February, pass, and stay for good, I hope.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:22 am

Happy to hear that Rink!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:41 am

Danger Zone wrote:

Thanks. So relieved.
I didn't mean to make it sound *too* far from ideal; I do think I'll learn a lot and be extra ready to try my own cases after the Feb exam and I don't think it'll all be grunt work until then. I'll have to have DDAs sign off and appear, obviously, but I won't be just a paralegal. Everyone is very nice and determined to use my time we'll. I'm far too happy to be staying in the office to complain about dull paperwork. :)

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:24 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Thanks. So relieved.
I didn't mean to make it sound *too* far from ideal; I do think I'll learn a lot and be extra ready to try my own cases after the Feb exam and I don't think it'll all be grunt work until then. I'll have to have DDAs sign off and appear, obviously, but I won't be just a paralegal. Everyone is very nice and determined to use my time we'll. I'm far too happy to be staying in the office to complain about dull paperwork. :)

That is still good news. Sorry to hear about the bar, but glad the fellowship works out.

yampi

Postby yampi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:53 pm

PASSED Florida here, and I just received my results today. I am posting my results because this website has been very helpful during my waiting time.
I took Barbri and scored 138 in the midterm, and I was scoring between 60% to 70% in the other set of questions.
In the actual MBE, I scored 159.
About the test, I felt that it was brutal and really hard; I was not sure about any answer, and guessing was my pattern. I had a lot of Ds in my morning section, but not in the afternoon section.

VTgrrrrl

Postby VTgrrrrl » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Longtime lurker here: PASSED - my state gives equal weight to both the state essay section and the MBE, so one needs at least a 135 on both sections to pass. I squeaked by with a 139 on the MBE. My Barbri mid-term was a discouraging 104, and I hung out 60-70% range near the end. I was incredibly discouraged by the MBE and spent the following week in shock - it was not the exam I had prepared for, and I felt as though I guessed on more than 50%. Cheers to those who've shared both good times and tough times in this forum. It's been a great comfort during the wait.

jaysnooginz

Postby jaysnooginz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:37 pm

148 raw on midterm. I was, depending on subject, getting anywhere from 70-85% correct on Bar Bri questions. I got a 166.8 on MBE

lspa2015

Postby lspa2015 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:12 pm

VTgrrrrl wrote:Longtime lurker here: PASSED - my state gives equal weight to both the state essay section and the MBE, so one needs at least a 135 on both sections to pass. I squeaked by with a 139 on the MBE. My Barbri mid-term was a discouraging 104, and I hung out 60-70% range near the end. I was incredibly discouraged by the MBE and spent the following week in shock - it was not the exam I had prepared for, and I felt as though I guessed on more than 50%. Cheers to those who've shared both good times and tough times in this forum. It's been a great comfort during the wait.

Congrats on passing - that's great news. Do you happen to recall how you did on the Barbri final (100 questions)? Just trying to get an idea on how it may correlate to the actual MBE as I would think it could be a better barometer than the midterm.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:23 pm

I emailed BarBri about my book deposit. They replied on Sept 21 stating that they are still processing returns and that I will receive an email once they process my return. Apparently, they have a 75 day return policy.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:13 pm

I have just over one week left until I can either be happy or upset with BarBri's course.

*fidgets*

I am so anxious. Good grief.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:I have just over one week left until I can either be happy or upset with BarBri's course.

*fidgets*

I am so anxious. Good grief.

I have less than 24h before I decide if I love or hate Barbri...

ReachTheBar79

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:23 pm

I have to wait until November 6. I took two bar exams....RI and MA. This wait is awful. I just want to know. I feel like I failed. I only got a 104 raw score on the PMBR final. My only hope is that I saw several D's in my AM session (luckily I didn't change my answers) and I felt okay with the essays.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:30 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:I have to wait until November 6. I took two bar exams....RI and MA. This wait is awful. I just want to know. I feel like I failed. I only got a 104 raw score on the PMBR final. My only hope is that I saw several D's in my AM session (luckily I didn't change my answers) and I felt okay with the essays.

I dont understand when people say the final was out of 200. I must've missed something cause the last full scale I took was the refresher and that was out of 100.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”