BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

myrtlewinston

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:34 pm

bear patrol wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Maybe Barbri will give us some earnest money

And throw in a real estate broker prep course

I think a real estate broker licence comes with the NY law licence.

Barbri CEO claimed that people call to thank him every year...

Learned Throw Hands

Postby Learned Throw Hands » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Buoya20 wrote:Great, two letters for the mpt ? What did I miss? There was a copy right issue ?

Not every state has two MPTs. I know the UBE does (they're both weighed 10%).

Learned Throw Hands

Postby Learned Throw Hands » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:06 pm

I also fucked up the first MPT. Not so much the substance but I kept referring to Bryan and Henry like I was writing the letter to a senior attorney and not to Bryan. Fuck.

jaysnooginz

Postby jaysnooginz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Definitely two client letters where I took the UBE: Copyrights and Truth in Lending Act.

Buoya20

Postby Buoya20 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:14 pm

I took the New York one and I only wrote the truth and lending one

starryski

Postby starryski » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 pm

jaysnooginz wrote:Definitely two client letters where I took the UBE: Copyrights and Truth in Lending Act.

wait what? you took two right? in NY it was just the TLA.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Learned Throw Hands wrote:I also fucked up the first MPT. Not so much the substance but I kept referring to Bryan and Henry like I was writing the letter to a senior attorney and not to Bryan. Fuck.

Me too. I'm sure it'll hurt but hopefully not fatal...

felonious monk

Postby felonious monk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:01 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Learned Throw Hands wrote:I also fucked up the first MPT. Not so much the substance but I kept referring to Bryan and Henry like I was writing the letter to a senior attorney and not to Bryan. Fuck.

I referred to Snr and Jnr.

It won't hurt. It shouldn't. I write letters to clients all the time - I never refer to anyone as 'your father/brother co-worker' or the 'opposing party' - it's always use a abbreviation (in my case SNR and JNR) and stick with that. It keeps it clear. If they deduct for that it's style over substance and shouldn't be marked off heavily.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:06 pm

felonious monk wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

It won't hurt. It shouldn't. I write letters to clients all the time - I never refer to anyone as 'your father/brother co-worker' or the 'opposing party' - it's always use a abbreviation (in my case SNR and JNR) and stick with that. It keeps it clear. If they deduct for that it's style over substance and shouldn't be marked off heavily.

That's my hope but I also have heard of the importance of following directions on the MPT and getting destroyed for not. However, I'm hoping that would be more true for not using the provided memo format than for using the wrong references.

felonious monk

Postby felonious monk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
felonious monk wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

That's my hope but I also have heard of the importance of following directions on the MPT and getting destroyed for not. However, I'm hoping that would be more true for not using the provided memo format than for using the wrong references.

Yeah but they didn't give us any guidance as to which refs to use...I think it will be fine if you're constant - which I was not. I was all over the place - just hoping it's only a few.

I was using first names, last names, JNR , SNR and Client etc.

Joke. It was the pressure of the day. If you follow the substance the refs won't be an issue. No one in real practice will ever ask you to draft a letter in an hour without proofing it etc and they MUST know that and take it into consideration.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:20 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:How many people who went ny/nj thought nj was a joke?

Easy as fuck compared to NY. Although the contracts question had me lol wutting for a second before I realized they basically only want you to discuss damages for the whole thing.

sharklet

Postby sharklet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 pm

For those who have developed a particular interest in the topic of chair-pulling over the last few days, this may be of interest:
Garrat v. Dailey - http://www.lawnix.com/cases/garratt-dailey.html

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:46 pm

For all the carping about BarBri not preparing us for the MBE properly (and here I think it's probably in large part the NCBE's fault. As the bar prep companies get better, they feel the need to evade the work of the prep companies. But if the exam is meant to test competence for licensure, it shouldn't matter that you're prepared for their test on what the law is.)

Hmm... well that was a long aside. Let's try that again.

For all the carping about BarBri not preparing us for the MBE properly, they fucking nailed the Texas essay material, all with the exception of one question which I don't think anyone could possibly blame them for (statutory details of construction law for a real property question).

Neff

Postby Neff » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:54 am

I think you all should stop this neuroticism. A huge part of not being miserable in life is learning to accept the past and moving forward.

Oh yeah, and congratulations on passing the bar!!!

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:26 am

Neff wrote:I think you all should stop this neuroticism. A huge part of not being miserable in life is learning to accept the past and moving forward.

Agreed. If my score was low enough that screwing up one MPT makes me fail then I clearly did a lot of other things wrong. It just sucks knowing I made such a stupid mistake.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 am

I wouldn't worry about these MPT details. In most jurisdictions it is not a big impact on the score. Just need to beat 20% of takers..

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 am

cdelgado wrote:I wouldn't worry about these MPT details. In most jurisdictions it is not a big impact on the score. Just need to beat 20% of takers..

In another forum someone said they got a 1 on an MPT in Ohio and still passed. They also said no other essay was below a 4.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 am

charlesxavier wrote:
Neff wrote:I think you all should stop this neuroticism. A huge part of not being miserable in life is learning to accept the past and moving forward.

Agreed. If my score was low enough that screwing up one MPT makes me fail then I clearly did a lot of other things wrong. It just sucks knowing I made such a stupid mistake.

I doubt that mistake will cost you too many points. I bet a lot of people did that -- that's hard to keep straight when you're trying to rush an extensive essay in 90 minutes.

If you finished, and used all or most of the materials, you'll be OK as far as the MPT goes.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:38 am

charlesxavier wrote:
cdelgado wrote:I wouldn't worry about these MPT details. In most jurisdictions it is not a big impact on the score. Just need to beat 20% of takers..

In another forum someone said they got a 1 on an MPT in Ohio and still passed. They also said no other essay was below a 4.

A 1 seems difficult to do, but based on some of the graded essays in Ohio, I believe it can happen. I'm sure you are fine.

Although I feel good about my essays, I don't think I can guarantee that they are all above a 4. It is hard to know.

I just refuse to believe that anyone in this thread to put in the time and gave it an honest effort failed.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:42 am

odoylerulez wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

I doubt that mistake will cost you too many points. I bet a lot of people did that -- that's hard to keep straight when you're trying to rush an extensive essay in 90 minutes.

If you finished, and used all or most of the materials, you'll be OK as far as the MPT goes.

I hope. Last night I looked up an MPT someone in Tennessee posted that was given a 1. They didn't follow the required format and addressed the wrong issues. At least I know I addressed the question and used the right format. I just screwed up on my intended audience.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 am

Does Barbri pay the shipping for returning our books or no? Isn't it going to cost like $50 to ship a 50 lb box?

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:10 am

Greenandgold wrote:Does Barbri pay the shipping for returning our books or no? Isn't it going to cost like $50 to ship a 50 lb box?

I think we have to pay to ship them back. My box came in around 32 pounds. Everything should qualify for USPS Media Mail, which is the cheapest option at around $18-20.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am

I feel like all of us in various cities should get together and palletize our shipments and send it by freight.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:54 am

This post bar exam stress relieving vacations is great...

:currently broken down outside Chicago with two dogs:

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:26 pm

charlesxavier wrote:This post bar exam stress relieving vacations is great...

:currently broken down outside Chicago with two dogs:

Yikes!

I'm at work :cry:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”