BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Lobolaw1984

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Lobolaw1984 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 pm

sd5289 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
konar wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:So I am one of those people who had several D's. Also, toward the end of the harder of the two sessions, I had to make educated guesses due to lack of timing. I ended up filling in several B's.

How did I forget what the property clause is? I didn't pick it. :|

+1 ridic amount of D's

That makes me feel better. I had like 10 Ds out of 12 questions (or something around there) on one of them. And definitely didn't have time to finish 1-2 questions on each session. Made the huge mistake of going to the bathroom midway through the AM. Didn't realize the second half would be harder than the first.

I also had a nearly unbreakable line of D's near the end of one of the sessions. I noticed it but tried not to let it throw me off or make me change it just because it looked weird. I'm glad to hear other people had the same, since that indicates either we were right or so many of us did that that it'll be scaled out if we're wrong.

I did too

jaysnooginz

Postby jaysnooginz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:57 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
konar wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:So I am one of those people who had several D's. Also, toward the end of the harder of the two sessions, I had to make educated guesses due to lack of timing. I ended up filling in several B's.

How did I forget what the property clause is? I didn't pick it. :|

+1 ridic amount of D's

That makes me feel better. I had like 10 Ds out of 12 questions (or something around there) on one of them. And definitely didn't have time to finish 1-2 questions on each session. Made the huge mistake of going to the bathroom midway through the AM. Didn't realize the second half would be harder than the first.

I also had a nearly unbreakable line of D's near the end of one of the sessions. I noticed it but tried not to let it throw me off or make me change it just because it looked weird. I'm glad to hear other people had the same, since that indicates either we were right or so many of us did that that it'll be scaled out if we're wrong.

Yes! I had the D's all at the beginning on mine...I think it was the AM test. I was slightly worried, but now it looks like maybe they were all correct answers, haha.

Yeah, I had a ton of Ds at the end of my first column and start of my second column in the AM. 8 out of 9 were D at one point, and something like 12 out of 15 were D for me in that same stretch counting some of the questions around it.

Same with a ton of D's in the AM. At one time I had 5 in a row and a bunch of others broken up by like a C or an A.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Dear Barbri,

You might want to mention pure race recording statutes in your property lecture next year.

Love,
B. Carr

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm

I didn't get the line of Ds. Oops or different permutations?

MG95

Postby MG95 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Last edited by MG95 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaysnooginz

Postby jaysnooginz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:30 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Dear Barbri,

You might want to mention pure race recording statutes in your property lecture next year.

Love,
B. Carr

I definitely had questions on the MPQ practice that had pure race statutes.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:40 pm

jaysnooginz wrote:

Love,
B. Carr

Yes, I remember one or two also, but they should be mentioned in the lecture.

jaysnooginz

Postby jaysnooginz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:42 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
jaysnooginz wrote:

Love,
B. Carr

If you think about it logically though, you could probably parse out what race statute is just by what a notice and race-notice statute is.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:45 pm

jaysnooginz wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
jaysnooginz wrote:

Love,
B. Carr

If you think about it logically though, you could probably parse out what race statute is just by what a notice and race-notice statute is.

I aced real estate transactions, bankruptcy, and commercial law, and I still can't parse that fucking language and identity race statutes v. notice statutes. Definitely not in 2 minutes.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I didn't do many of the Barbri essays - just 1 unfortunately, and outlined some the day before. I got most of the stuff others have talked about on the test in terms of analysis, but how important is precisely stating the rule or CIRAC versus just talking about each issue in a paragraph with no set formula?

History_Buff

Postby History_Buff » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:51 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:I didn't do many of the Barbri essays - just 1 unfortunately, and outlined some the day before. I got most of the stuff others have talked about on the test in terms of analysis, but how important is precisely stating the rule or CIRAC versus just talking about each issue in a paragraph with no set formula?

I don't know, but in Tennessee a lot of the essays asked questions or subquestions that are not very well suited for CIRAC formula.

My personal strategy was to use CIRAC as a guide for questions that set themselves up for that type of answer and for other questions I would just answer in a way that felt more natural and responsive to the actual question being asked.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 pm

cdelgado wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:Out of the 12 Ohio essays the only one that I felt lost on was Professional Responsibility. Sad. But it was also the last essay.

I felt good on all of them. Hopefully that will translate to passing.

It should. A couple of the essays seemed like almost identical versions of prior essays. I felt like it was pretty easy to spot the issue(s) and get a well organized essay down. However, I could tell a few people around me, like my table mate, were stressing. I feel a lot more confident than I expected.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:19 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:Out of the 12 Ohio essays the only one that I felt lost on was Professional Responsibility. Sad. But it was also the last essay.

I felt good on all of them. Hopefully that will translate to passing.

It should. A couple of the essays seemed like almost identical versions of prior essays. I felt like it was pretty easy to spot the issue(s) and get a well organized essay down. However, I could tell a few people around me, like my table mate, were stressing. I feel a lot more confident than I expected.

I know I wasn't perfect, but I do feel good about them. However, I do feel terrible about the MBE.

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:
jaysnooginz wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
jaysnooginz wrote:

Love,
B. Carr

I aced real estate transactions, bankruptcy, and commercial law, and I still can't parse that fucking language and identity race statutes v. notice statutes. Definitely not in 2 minutes.

I just look for whether one uses the word notice+first, notice alone, or first alone.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Question for those that took the MPT.

I may have misunderstood the assignment. We were supposed to write two drafts of client letters, but I interpreted this instruction to mean that we only had to send a first draft to the attorney, not directly to the client. So, I didn't include the firm heading or a signature block, because when an attorney has asked me for a draft in the past for work, what I always did was compose a draft, and the attorney would proofread it and add the firm letterhead/his signature before he sent it out to the client.

How many points am I likely to be docked for this? Other than this misinterpretation, I followed all of the instructions as far as I know. However, our regional bar guy warned us that a failure to finish the MPT would result in a substantial points penalty for failure to follow instructions.

I did have a concluding statement at the end, but no signature block, so I'm not sure if this is considered "finishing the MPT" or not. I've always heard that people get themselves into trouble when they bring their personal experience into the MPT as to how to do things, rather than closely following instructions. Any thoughts/knowledge on this would be helpful because I have no idea. Thanks.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:12 pm

I think you're going to be fine

reinbowbrite

Postby reinbowbrite » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:I didn't get the line of Ds. Oops or different permutations?

I didn't either. Admittedly, I wasn't really paying attention to how many of a particular answer choice I had in a row, but I think if I had 10-12/15, it would've jumped out at me!

Are we allowed to say what version of the test we had for AM/PM?

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:20 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Question for those that took the MPT.

I may have misunderstood the assignment. We were supposed to write two drafts of client letters, but I interpreted this instruction to mean that we only had to send a first draft to the attorney, not directly to the client. So, I didn't include the firm heading or a signature block, because when an attorney has asked me for a draft in the past for work, what I always did was compose a draft, and the attorney would proofread it and add the firm letterhead/his signature before he sent it out to the client.

How many points am I likely to be docked for this? Other than this misinterpretation, I followed all of the instructions as far as I know. However, our regional bar guy warned us that a failure to finish the MPT would result in a substantial points penalty for failure to follow instructions.

I did have a concluding statement at the end, but no signature block, so I'm not sure if this is considered "finishing the MPT" or not. I've always heard that people get themselves into trouble when they bring their personal experience into the MPT as to how to do things, rather than closely following instructions. Any thoughts/knowledge on this would be helpful because I have no idea. Thanks.

Two drafts for same MPT? I only had one MPT, and you're worrying me that I missed something.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:21 pm

You'll be fine as long as you followed the provided format. We're essentially drafting on a word processor from 1993. It just needed to be professional.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:22 pm

musicfor18 wrote:

Two drafts for same MPT? I only had one MPT, and you're worrying me that I missed something.

Oh no, one draft for the first MPT (agency), one for the second (copyright issue).

N.P.H.

Postby N.P.H. » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:25 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:

Oh no, one draft for the first MPT (agency), one for the second (copyright issue).

Omg my heart sank.

I was so sad for a moment. I need to get off TLS for two months.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:57 pm

How many people who went ny/nj thought nj was a joke?

starryski

Postby starryski » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:13 pm

Love,
B. Carr

really? pieper hit on this a lot.... :shock:

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 pm

reinbowbrite wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:I didn't get the line of Ds. Oops or different permutations?

I didn't either. Admittedly, I wasn't really paying attention to how many of a particular answer choice I had in a row, but I think if I had 10-12/15, it would've jumped out at me!

Are we allowed to say what version of the test we had for AM/PM?

Someone mentioned that there are 10 versions of the MBE (questions in different order). Hope that's right!

Buoya20

Postby Buoya20 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Great, two letters for the mpt ? What did I miss? There was a copy right issue ?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”