BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

BuckinghamB

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 am

old_soul wrote:Hey all,

Just feeling kind of low over my Essays, needless to say the MBE was crushing enough. I didn't finish my essays properly, probably at least 4 out of12 were partially complete. Ran out of time. Sniff. I feel like I set myself up for failure.

Fml. Does anyone have disaster stories they've heard of where people still passed?

A friend of a friend apparently left 3 essays completely blank and still passed in my state

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:36 am

BarBri's "tips and tricks" were generally useless, except for "read the call of the question first." I don't think any of the "always wrong" answers appeared on yesterday's exam. Also, they told us to "always answer the question in your head before reading the answer choices." That didn't work, because usually the "answer in my head" was nowhere to be found among the answer choices. That really was more like an advanced LSAT than a law test.

diowad

Postby diowad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 am

Andrews989 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:I honestly thought the questions "felt" more like Barbri than Emanuel. Substances on the other hand, Barbri was pretty off base.

I agree the felt like Barbri questions. However, there were a lot of questions where I felt multiple answers were correct (a few were basically the same answers) and questions where I felt none were correct.

Some of the topics Babri said were the "big ticket items" were barely tested. There were barely any questions on the statute of frauds, option contracts, individual rights (in the levels of scrutiny sense), character evidence, subject matter jurisdiction, standing, landlord-tenant law, etc. I think Barbri was pretty close on point to the torts questions asked on the MBE but besides that the rest were a little off from what I expected. I guess I spent a week learning corporations, trusts, and conflict of laws for like two multiple choice questions.

This is what pissed me off the most. I think I counted one joint tenancy question, maybe one or two easement questions, and I think zero option K questions

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:01 am

Assuming you pass in NY, how much information do they give you about how you did?

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 am

dwyf wrote:Assuming you pass in NY, how much information do they give you about how you did?

I asked around, I think we only get MBE scaled score

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:52 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
konar wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:So I am one of those people who had several D's. Also, toward the end of the harder of the two sessions, I had to make educated guesses due to lack of timing. I ended up filling in several B's.

How did I forget what the property clause is? I didn't pick it. :|

+1 ridic amount of D's

That makes me feel better. I had like 10 Ds out of 12 questions (or something around there) on one of them. And definitely didn't have time to finish 1-2 questions on each session. Made the huge mistake of going to the bathroom midway through the AM. Didn't realize the second half would be harder than the first.

I also had a nearly unbreakable line of D's near the end of one of the sessions. I noticed it but tried not to let it throw me off or make me change it just because it looked weird. I'm glad to hear other people had the same, since that indicates either we were right or so many of us did that that it'll be scaled out if we're wrong.

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:22 am

sd5289 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
konar wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:So I am one of those people who had several D's. Also, toward the end of the harder of the two sessions, I had to make educated guesses due to lack of timing. I ended up filling in several B's.

+1 ridic amount of D's

That makes me feel better. I had like 10 Ds out of 12 questions (or something around there) on one of them. And definitely didn't have time to finish 1-2 questions on each session. Made the huge mistake of going to the bathroom midway through the AM. Didn't realize the second half would be harder than the first.

I also had a nearly unbreakable line of D's near the end of one of the sessions. I noticed it but tried not to let it throw me off or make me change it just because it looked weird. I'm glad to hear other people had the same, since that indicates either we were right or so many of us did that that it'll be scaled out if we're wrong.

So - there are multiple forms for the MBE. The questions are in a different order. But are the answer choices in the order for each problem?

And are the q's in the same order just start from different points?

Also - I didn't know what the property clause was, but I picked it. Totally forgot about that questions. Ha.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:24 am

I'm starting to think maybe, just maybe, we all did fine and are going to pass.

I figure we studied as much (if not more) than anyone else so JUSTICE would require us all to pass!

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:27 am

Property Clause was one of Barbri's favorite questions in Con Law MPQ5/6s. But all the Article and Clause number threw me off a bit. We learned the clause by name, not by Art X Cl Y.. Lol

And honestly, thank goodness for Barbri in telling us what some of the lesser know "fundamental rights" are, that saved me on several questions.

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am

kyle010723 wrote:Property Clause was one of Barbri's favorite questions in Con Law MPQ5/6s. But all the Article and Clause number threw me off a bit. We learned the clause by name, not by Art X Cl Y.. Lol

And honestly, thank goodness for Barbri in telling us what some of the lesser know "fundamental rights" are, that saved me on several questions.

I didn't even get to MPQ set 1, let alone set 5/6. Oops. ha.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

Was a certain something immediately appealable?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 am

musicfor18 wrote:Was a certain something immediately appealable?

I don't think so. I've never heard people immediately appeal because of that certain something.

What are immediately appealable as far as I can remember are Injunctions, Class Certifications, Final Merits, Certified Questions, and some tiny exceptions.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 am

kyle010723 wrote:

I don't think so. I've never heard people immediately appeal because of that certain something.

What are immediately appealable as far as I can remember are Injunctions, Class Certifications, Final Merits, Certified Questions, and some tiny exceptions.

That's right. But the thing is that it could be certified for appeal, and has been on occasion. That's why that question confused me so much

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:16 am

musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

That's right. But the thing is that it could be certified for appeal, and has been on occasion. That's why that question confused me so much

Heh, if it was ambiguous, maybe there would be more than one right answer. What confused me a whole lot were all the "move for relief" answers. Like what does that even mean...?

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am

kyle010723 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

Heh, if it was ambiguous, maybe there would be more than one right answer. What confused me a whole lot were all the "move for relief" answers. Like what does that even mean...?

Relief from Judgment is one of the FRCP things. Rule 60, I think. But those questions were all confusing, I agree.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:20 am

musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Heh, if it was ambiguous, maybe there would be more than one right answer. What confused me a whole lot were all the "move for relief" answers. Like what does that even mean...?

Relief from Judgment is one of the FRCP things. Rule 60, I think. But those questions were all confusing, I agree.

Yea, it would've made more sense if they said "move for relief from judgment" or "move to vacate judgment." Instead, they were "move to appeal in State A," "move for relief in State A." Oh well. We're all going to pass!

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:25 am

kyle010723 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Heh, if it was ambiguous, maybe there would be more than one right answer. What confused me a whole lot were all the "move for relief" answers. Like what does that even mean...?

Yea, it would've made more sense if they said "move for relief from judgment" or "move to vacate judgment." Instead, they were "move to appeal in State A," "move for relief in State A." Oh well. We're all going to pass!

Yeah, that one was super confusing.

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Do you agree or disagree???

I feel Day 1=essays are HARDER than Day 2, MBE...

For essays, time is too limited and topics are somehow off...

But i managed to put all together; I know for some essays I made the rule up..... but that is the best I can do.

For MBE, all is reasonable... I love real estate question..

How to know the final result?? what is the curve???

bluewin888

Postby bluewin888 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:21 pm

I mean NY

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:24 pm

bluewin888 wrote:Do you agree or disagree???

I feel Day 1=essays are HARDER than Day 2, MBE...

For essays, time is too limited and topics are somehow off...

But i managed to put all together; I know for some essays I made the rule up..... but that is the best I can do.

For MBE, all is reasonable... I love real estate question..

How to know the final result?? what is the curve???
p

I disagree. None of it was easy. With the essays, it depended mostly on whether you knew the right rules. With the MBE, on the other hand, it depended largely on whether you could read the examiners' minds and whether you happened to know things that your prep company didn't cover. MBE was much harder.

The bar is not a curved exam. It is scaled, but that's very different than curved. Scaled means they try to adjust between exams to account for differences in difficulty. Curved means a certain percentage of people are predetermined to pass. I wish it were curved, but it's not.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Out of the 12 Ohio essays the only one that I felt lost on was Professional Responsibility. Sad. But it was also the last essay.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Yatta!!!! Congrats everyone -- thanks for the support of this forum. You were some of my only friends the past two months...

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:12 pm

sd5289 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
konar wrote:

+1 ridic amount of D's

Yes! I had the D's all at the beginning on mine...I think it was the AM test. I was slightly worried, but now it looks like maybe they were all correct answers, haha.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:23 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Out of the 12 Ohio essays the only one that I felt lost on was Professional Responsibility. Sad. But it was also the last essay.

I felt good on all of them. Hopefully that will translate to passing.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:30 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
konar wrote:

+1 ridic amount of D's

Yes! I had the D's all at the beginning on mine...I think it was the AM test. I was slightly worried, but now it looks like maybe they were all correct answers, haha.

Yeah, I had a ton of Ds at the end of my first column and start of my second column in the AM. 8 out of 9 were D at one point, and something like 12 out of 15 were D for me in that same stretch counting some of the questions around it.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”