BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Kage3212

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Anyone else making a master rule sheet for each of the essays that they outline/write out? I started doing this today and think it may be helpful as we progress through the course. Interested in hearing how others are going about trying to internalize rule statements for essays.

bluesnowflake

Postby bluesnowflake » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Anyone else making a master rule sheet for each of the essays that they outline/write out? I started doing this today and think it may be helpful as we progress through the course. Interested in hearing how others are going about trying to internalize rule statements for essays.

I was debating doing that, or relying on something like SmartBarPrep, and just sticking them all on flash cards or something.

gk101

Postby gk101 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:01 pm

anyone here finish the IL fed civ pro lecture? Got a (probably stupid) question about one of the hypos

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Andrew Kline, the torts lecturer, is absolutely killing me. I don't think he could make this any more boring.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:00 am

Just another quick rant:

How much credence are you guys giving the grades we're getting on the essays we submit for grading?

My crim pro essay, I will admit wasn't organized well, and I missed one big issue. But even doing a VERY conservative grading of it using the checklist in the MEET book, my score was well within the passing range, or a "4" in my state.

My grader gave me a "1." I am furious. The comments aren't even helpful.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I got a "5" on my family law one, which was a morale boost, but I really think I only deserved a 4.

Who are these jamokes doing the grading? Or am I being overly critical?

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:11 am

How is the national Torts lecture and handout by Andrew Klein?
I'm in Texas and had James McGrath did Torts for us and I'm just missing the easy stuff. Thinking I could just rewatch some videos and hope it sinks in that way as opposed to trying to tackle the daunting CMR.
Any thoughts.

rhs100

Postby rhs100 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am

3|ink wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Do you guys work from any of the books or just do lectures, and the online questions?

This sucks. It often takes me about a half over to reupload a video, because the system redirects and redirects. If I ever have to step out for even a half hour, that's an add'l half hour wasted to get my website back up and running. They're so paranoid with people accessing their material without paying them that often the people who pay 4k can't access it either. They should really either make it easier to access, or at least sign you up for Kaplan or another course as well so you can access some bar prep even if it's not the prep you've paid for.

My routine:
1. Watch the lectures
2. Write a condensed outline using the lecture handout
3. Take and miserably fail the assessment
4. Go back and read the CMR; supplement my condensed outline until its like 18 pages

I've barely had any time to take practice questions

re: videos, I've never had that problem. It might be your internet access.

So I've done steps 1-3 for contracts and did miserably on the MBE sets. Since then I stopped doing both step 2 and 3 and going directly to the practice questions because way too many bar passers have told me to focus on questions from the beginning - plus step 2 takes too long, and makes no sense without the context of the practice question - and so far that proved well in terms of other subjects MBEs. My review consists of reading anything I marked during lecture so I understand what was said. If time allows, do a very high level outline or go directly to my critical pass cards to add stuff. I don't care for AMP so I stopped step 3 also - I may do them later if I have time. That's just what works for me, I know everyone has their own methods that work. Good luck!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:22 am

rhs100 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:Do you guys work from any of the books or just do lectures, and the online questions?

This sucks. It often takes me about a half over to reupload a video, because the system redirects and redirects. If I ever have to step out for even a half hour, that's an add'l half hour wasted to get my website back up and running. They're so paranoid with people accessing their material without paying them that often the people who pay 4k can't access it either. They should really either make it easier to access, or at least sign you up for Kaplan or another course as well so you can access some bar prep even if it's not the prep you've paid for.

My routine:
1. Watch the lectures
4. Go back and read the CMR; supplement my condensed outline until its like 18 pages

So I've done steps 1-3 for contracts and did miserably on the MBE sets. Since then I stopped doing both step 2 and 3 and going directly to the practice questions because way too many bar passers have told me to focus on questions from the beginning - plus step 2 takes too long, and makes no sense without the context of the practice question - and so far that proved well in terms of other subjects MBEs. My review consists of reading anything I marked during lecture so I understand what was said. If time allows, do a very high level outline or go directly to my critical pass cards to add stuff. I don't care for AMP so I stopped step 3 also - I may do them later if I have time. That's just what works for me, I know everyone has their own methods that work. Good luck!

So how do you study between question sets? The critical pass cards? Or do you just keep taking question sets?

Ineedhelpplease

Postby Ineedhelpplease » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:37 am

I just got my critical pass cards. I am thinking of going over them with my outlines, making notes on them and hopefully make them the focal point from where I would review. Put my lecture outlines in a binder and refer to them as needed.

Anybody have success with these cards, they look really on point with barbri.

bluesnowflake

Postby bluesnowflake » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:42 pm

I've used them. I know a lot of people really like them, and I think they'll be really helpful for doing final review right before the MBE. They do have a lot of the same INFORMATION as Barbri, but it's not always organized in exactly the same way (depending on your lecturer for that topic).

For me, marking them up with the state/other notes I had from lecture took me so much time it was faster to just make my own, so I'm just saving them for when I have to brush up on the basics.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:41 pm

jamescastle wrote:How is the national Torts lecture and handout by Andrew Klein?
I'm in Texas and had James McGrath did Torts for us and I'm just missing the easy stuff. Thinking I could just rewatch some videos and hope it sinks in that way as opposed to trying to tackle the daunting CMR.
Any thoughts.

I would stick with the CMR for torts. Klein's lecture misses some very important points. I had to follow along with the CMR just to supplement my lecture handout.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:37 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
jamescastle wrote:How is the national Torts lecture and handout by Andrew Klein?
Any thoughts.

I would stick with the CMR for torts. Klein's lecture misses some very important points. I had to follow along with the CMR just to supplement my lecture handout.

Agreed. He missed a lot. I thought torts was incredibly simple until I did some questions and realized that he skipped a lot

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

for Fed Civ Pro, i think watching the lecture and doing amp is leaving me a little lost. should I read the CMR again, more carefully? I get some topics but others, especially the really boring, detailed rules that have number of days attached to them, I'm pretty lost. Ive been moving on and am planning a "civ pro day" to do the diagnostic and questions. This is the only subject I've put off like that, mostly because I know I just need some more review...

rhs100

Postby rhs100 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 pm

3|ink wrote:
rhs100 wrote:
3|ink wrote:

My routine:
1. Watch the lectures

So how do you study between question sets? The critical pass cards? Or do you just keep taking question sets?

It's not always the same, but generally my studying is just thoroughly understanding the answer explanations regardless of whether I got it wrong or not. I also started copy/pasting rules/explanations/examples (whatever applies) on a doc for questions I got wrong (or got right by chance). Additionally, I started slowly incorporating adaptibar questions into my studies, especially the days when I don't have barbri practice sets. My goal is to do about 36 questions total a day, roughly, whichever source they come from. I have no idea if this is a good strategy or not haha

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Has anyone abandoned their PSP?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Has anyone abandoned their PSP?

Not completely but somewhat

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:58 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

How have you tweaked it?

I frontloaded the lectures, so that I can let the black letter law sink in and focus on practice questions/essays. The bingewatching was not pleasant.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 am

myrtlewinston wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

How have you tweaked it?

I frontloaded the lectures, so that I can let the black letter law sink in and focus on practice questions/essays. The bingewatching was not pleasant.

I'm doing the same, don't know if I'm retaining but we'll see

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 am

I have considered frontloading the lectures. But they're just so freakin unpleasant to sit through. Even at 2x speed.

As for my PSP, just lol. I've so far in arrears right now. The stupid thing affords way too little time to review the lecture notes. Doing that basically takes up all my time.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:26 am

The quality of the lectures is uneven. Also, some subjects are simply boring. I finished the last one today, but it has been a painful few days.

Do you know if the actual NY MCQs are available anywhere?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 am

3|ink wrote:I have considered frontloading the lectures. But they're just so freakin unpleasant to sit through. Even at 2x speed.

As for my PSP, just lol. I've so far in arrears right now. The stupid thing affords way too little time to review the lecture notes. Doing that basically takes up all my time.

Same. During my review stages I have been updating critical pass cards as well. It does take significant time, but requires me to carefully go back through the material and try to make sense of it. This has seemed to help in starting the memorization stage.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:04 am

3|ink wrote:I have considered frontloading the lectures. But they're just so freakin unpleasant to sit through. Even at 2x speed.

Agreed. lol at it only taking one hour to review each three hour lecture....

I'm super far behind in my PSP but I feel like I'm doing a ton of MBE questions in the phone app and slowly the material is sinking in. Started doing my own outlines for some of the big subjects now and will use these to really start nailing down some essay outlines I think later this week.

Ogonek

Postby Ogonek » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:44 am

is anyone considering abandoning barbri altogether (besides the written materials) in favor of just doing adaptibar, and working through all the barbri provided essays and PTs?

early on i fell behind about 5 days in the PSP, and now i can't catch up because doing one day's worth of barbri literally takes all day. it doesn't feel like i'm on pace to do well. it's only had me write maybe 5 essays so far, 1 performance test, and a maybe ~200 mbe questions. i'm doing CA fwiw.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 am

jamescastle wrote:
3|ink wrote:As for my PSP, just lol. I've so far in arrears right now. The stupid thing affords way too little time to review the lecture notes. Doing that basically takes up all my time.

Agreed. lol at it only taking one hour to review each three hour lecture.....

Same here! I thought I was especially slow.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:30 am

Ogonek wrote:is anyone considering abandoning barbri altogether (besides the written materials) in favor of just doing adaptibar, and working through all the barbri provided essays and PTs?

I am. NY releases its essay questions and PTs, along with sample answers. I may use those instead of Barbri's.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”