BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

jwe-houston

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby jwe-houston » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:54 pm

3|ink wrote:At least you guys don't have to wear suits.

What the ever loving F*%#% is THAT BS? I though TX had some crack-smoking rules.

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
ladylawyer1221 wrote:
Frm312 wrote:so whats everyone doing today? more studying? netflix binge?

I'm reviewing only P&E for TX (short answers), and going to read through the sample MPTs because I only did the 1 graded Barbri one last month. Hoping to call it quits early and watch a movie in my hotel room. I'm nervous about being able to sleep tonight

Ambien. It's a lifesaver.

Trying an unfamiliar sleeping drug the night before the exam sounds like the worst idea ever.

lol, yeah I might not go with Ambien tonight. I'm too nervous to even have a glass of wine because I don't want to wake up with a headache. IS IT THURSDAY YET?!

keyboardzguy

Postby keyboardzguy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:14 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
florentine wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Frm312 wrote:so whats everyone doing today? more studying? netflix binge?

Printing admission ticket, sharpening pencils, making sure all my stuff fits in a ziploc bag, laundry, etc. Reading thru sample answers to essays to keep shit fresh, too.

How big is your ziplock bag? Can we use the gallon size ones?

I have quart and gallon bags here. CA doesn't appear to specify the size, unless I missed something in the instructions. Also totally unsure if I need to find a ziploc big enough for my MacBook.

IL told us to get a 2.5G ziploc bag to put laptop in, took me a while to find those, lol

FWIW, that was just a "tip." Two day instructions say you don't need to actually put your computer stuff in a Ziploc.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:23 pm

I found 2.5gal bags and my 15" laptop baaaarely fits. As in, I have to take out the USB dongle for my mouse or it pops open the bag's zipper seal.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Ohio--you can't bring in your laptop bag but if it's raining you can temporarily cover it with a plastic bag that you discard upon entering. I already passed the MPRE so clearly these rules are unnecessary.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:40 pm

Woo! Let's do this!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:42 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Ohio--you can't bring in your laptop bag but if it's raining you can temporarily cover it with a plastic bag that you discard upon entering. I already passed the MPRE so clearly these rules are unnecessary.

I was just gonna tuck it under my arm, but I'll also have my stupid quart-sized bag, a water bottle, the laptop power cord, and my mouse. Guaranteed I'd drop something. In the 2.5 gal bag, I still have to carry it under my arm, but at least the power cord and mouse can be part of the same package.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:Ohio--you can't bring in your laptop bag but if it's raining you can temporarily cover it with a plastic bag that you discard upon entering. I already passed the MPRE so clearly these rules are unnecessary.

I was just gonna tuck it under my arm, but I'll also have my stupid quart-sized bag, a water bottle, the laptop power cord, and my mouse. Guaranteed I'd drop something. In the 2.5 gal bag, I still have to carry it under my arm, but at least the power cord and mouse can be part of the same package.

Are you guys allowed to use a wireless mouse? I use a mouse and keyboard at home but never for law school exams. I figured I'd give it a try but then I saw that any external mouse/keyboard must be wired...

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:08 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Are you guys allowed to use a wireless mouse? I use a mouse and keyboard at home but never for law school exams. I figured I'd give it a try but then I saw that any external mouse/keyboard must be wired...

Our instructions make no mention of "wired or wireless." Just says external mouse permitted.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:08 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Oregon doesn't say one way or the other. Just that your laptop, mouse, and a watch without an alarm are the exceptions to the electronics ban.

(In another place it says very clearly that the NCBE prohibits all electronics, including "ALL watches." (No word on the fact that "electronics" does not include "all watches"...)

gmail

Postby gmail » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Just throwing this out there: According to StudySmart, I am in the 99.9 percentile for 'Other Crimes' questions, so fuck all y'all :twisted:

941law

Postby 941law » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Alright, time to start some of these lectures I keep hearing about. Here we go..

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Is the limitation for supplemental jurisdiction triggered when the underlying claim (the one that was properly before the court) is based on diversity jurisdiction, or only when the claim you are attempting to join is brought under diversity?

Say you bring a claim under federal question jurisdiction and try to bring in an additional claim under diversity jurisdiction against another defendant, who is domiciled in the same state as P. Does that trigger the limitation?

Or does it only apply when you properly bring a claim under diversity jurisdiction and then attempt to join a claim under diversity jurisdiction against another defendant, who is a resident of the same state as the plaintiff?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 pm

3|ink wrote:Is the limitation for supplemental jurisdiction triggered when the underlying claim (the one that was properly before the court) is based on diversity jurisdiction, or only when the claim you are attempting to join is brought under diversity?

Say you bring a claim under federal question jurisdiction and try to bring in an additional claim under diversity jurisdiction against another defendant, who is domiciled in the same state as P. Does that trigger the limitation?

Or does it only apply when you properly bring a claim under diversity jurisdiction and then attempt to join a claim under diversity jurisdiction against another defendant, who is a resident of the same state as the plaintiff?

It's triggered when the underlying claim is based on diversity and P is trying to use supplemental jx to add a non-diverse D.

ETA -- In every fact pattern I've seen, this limitation has come up when P and the new D are from the same state, thereby preventing diversity jx. I assume this also applies if the new D is diverse but amount in controversy requirement isn't met... can anyone confirm?
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
3|ink wrote:Is the limitation for supplemental jurisdiction triggered when the underlying claim (the one that was properly before the court) is based on diversity jurisdiction, or only when the claim you are attempting to join is brought under diversity?

It's triggered when the underlying claim is based on diversity and P is trying to use supplemental jx to add a non-diverse D.

K. Thanks!

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 pm

That's it folks, checked into the hotel. Things are getting real.

941law

Postby 941law » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:02 pm

kyle010723 wrote:That's it folks, checked into the hotel. Things are getting real.

My wifi wasn't free. Idk what to say to that.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:11 pm

941law wrote:My wifi wasn't free. Idk what to say to that.

haha, can't do without wifi, especially if you need to upload those exam answer!

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:11 pm

keyboardzguy wrote:FWIW, that was just a "tip."

That's what she said?

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:15 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:

ETA -- In every fact pattern I've seen, this limitation has come up when P and the new D are from the same state, thereby preventing diversity jx. I assume this also applies if the new D is diverse but amount in controversy requirement isn't met... can anyone confirm?

Supplemental jurisdiction is fine when the P and D are from different states but the AIC isn't met.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 pm

gmail wrote:Just throwing this out there: According to StudySmart, I am in the 99.9 percentile for 'Other Crimes' questions, so fuck all y'all :twisted:

You're the type of person that would be committing burglary in the day in old England.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 pm

I never felt so unsure about anything in my life. I felt like in the last two months I understand less, not more. Here's hoping it's all in there somewhere.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I can't sit at home and stew about this quiz any more. I'm not benefitting by studying right now. Any good movies out right now?

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I can't sit at home and stew about this quiz any more. I'm not benefitting by studying right now. Any good movies out right now?

Jurassic World is #1 on my list of movies to see post-bar.

diowad

Postby diowad » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:21 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I can't sit at home and stew about this quiz any more. I'm not benefitting by studying right now. Any good movies out right now?

Trainwreck is pretty GD funny. Raunchy, yes. But very funny.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”