BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

stronitsing

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby stronitsing » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:02 pm

4for44 wrote:Anyone else completely outraged at the fact that Barbri is trying to upsell us for a review session?

"BARBRI MINI REVIEW
The BARBRI Mini Review is a one-day, eight hour program that will be presented LIVE at Fordham Law School in New York City on July 14. It will be available online beginning July 17. This program highlights significant aspects of topics frequently tested on the bar exam and is designed for students who want a definitive “last minute final review.” Subjects covered: Administrative Law, Contracts, Corporations, Criminal Law, Federal Civil Procedure, New York Practice, Real Property, and Wills. Tuition for the Mini Review is $129 ($99 if enrolled by June 30). Enroll at BARBRI.com"

How can what we already paid not include that?

I don't know about outraged. They're a business, albeit one that charges very high prices. There will always be options to spend more money than you already have.

stronitsing

Postby stronitsing » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Ineedhelpplease wrote:I really hate Vincent Alexander (Evidence//NY Practice). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I think he's a great lecturer.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:20 pm

stronitsing wrote:
4for44 wrote:Anyone else completely outraged at the fact that Barbri is trying to upsell us for a review session?

"BARBRI MINI REVIEW
The BARBRI Mini Review is a one-day, eight hour program that will be presented LIVE at Fordham Law School in New York City on July 14. It will be available online beginning July 17. This program highlights significant aspects of topics frequently tested on the bar exam and is designed for students who want a definitive “last minute final review.” Subjects covered: Administrative Law, Contracts, Corporations, Criminal Law, Federal Civil Procedure, New York Practice, Real Property, and Wills. Tuition for the Mini Review is $129 ($99 if enrolled by June 30). Enroll at BARBRI.com"

I don't know about outraged. They're a business, albeit one that charges very high prices. There will always be options to spend more money than you already have.

That's fair, but I would have assumed there was some type of review lecture already included in the materials. I get that they would charge extra for say extra graded essays, etc, but this isn't really an individualized event and since there will be an online version, I would have hoped they would make something like this available to all their students. Alas, perhaps that is too much to hope for from a $4k course.

stronitsing

Postby stronitsing » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:28 pm

4for44 wrote:
stronitsing wrote:

"BARBRI MINI REVIEW

That's fair, but I would have assumed there was some type of review lecture already included in the materials. I get that they would charge extra for say extra graded essays, etc, but this isn't really an individualized event and since there will be an online version, I would have hoped they would make something like this available to all their students. Alas, perhaps that is too much to hope for from a $4k course.

Yeah, that's true.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:29 pm

As I understand it, the reason it's extra is that it's a program that was created outside BARBRI and they've subcontracted or licensed it or something.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:31 pm

stronitsing wrote:
Ineedhelpplease wrote:I really hate Vincent Alexander (Evidence//NY Practice). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I think he's a great lecturer.

+1

My favorite lecturer so far.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Are most people purchasing something in addition to Barbri? I have been doing the lectures, MC, and essays. Planning to start memorizing this weekend (maybe using flashcards, not sure) and then continue to do that and practice questions all the way to late July. Is this a reasonable study plan? I'm planning to do bar prep about 40-50 hrs a week. Taking the NY bar and getting in the 50th-85th percentile on Barbri subjects so far. I have read that 83% of first time NY test takers pass the exam so I am assuming that being above median for Barbri and memorizing the key material is pretty safe ground.
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Epstein is creepy re stepping on caterpillars but I like him anyway.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:48 pm

I can't get over the fact that the lectures often cover less than half of the material used in the assessments.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:08 pm

3|ink wrote:I can't get over the fact that the lectures often cover less than half of the material used in the assessments.

Probably a justification to give you "homework" to expose you to more material.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:21 pm

4for44 wrote:
stronitsing wrote:

"BARBRI MINI REVIEW

I'm definitely outraged. Like you said, if it were for additional graded essays or 1-on-1 tutoring, sure. 3-4k for a course is a ton of money, particularly because we aren't spending any time with a teacher. We basically just get our books and log-in info to watch pre-recorded videos. To now offer a "definitive" review for another $100+ is insulting.

Barbri doesn't even have a state-specific mini review for my state. The mini review is just for the MBE subjects, which is even shittier

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
3|ink wrote:I can't get over the fact that the lectures often cover less than half of the material used in the assessments.

Barbri's reply: Go read the Conviser instead.

ArmyOfficer

Postby ArmyOfficer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:33 pm

4for44 wrote: I get that they would charge extra for say extra graded essays

For what its worth, I asked when deciding what bar review course to pick if there were extra graded essays available and my DLE said additional graded essays were available at no charge.

I have not tried to do more graded essays so I do not know if this is actually true and what the process is.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:35 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:

Then they should instruct their lecturers against saying that we can rely on the handouts for studying.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Do you guys work from any of the books or just do lectures, and the online questions?

This sucks. It often takes me about a half over to reupload a video, because the system redirects and redirects. If I ever have to step out for even a half hour, that's an add'l half hour wasted to get my website back up and running. They're so paranoid with people accessing their material without paying them that often the people who pay 4k can't access it either. They should really either make it easier to access, or at least sign you up for Kaplan or another course as well so you can access some bar prep even if it's not the prep you've paid for.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Do you guys work from any of the books or just do lectures, and the online questions?

I'm planning to memorize from the Lecture Handout book and use the Conviser as a reference when something is unclear.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:44 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Do you guys work from any of the books or just do lectures, and the online questions?

This sucks. It often takes me about a half over to reupload a video, because the system redirects and redirects. If I ever have to step out for even a half hour, that's an add'l half hour wasted to get my website back up and running. They're so paranoid with people accessing their material without paying them that often the people who pay 4k can't access it either. They should really either make it easier to access, or at least sign you up for Kaplan or another course as well so you can access some bar prep even if it's not the prep you've paid for.

My routine:
1. Watch the lectures
2. Write a condensed outline using the lecture handout
3. Take and miserably fail the assessment
4. Go back and read the CMR; supplement my condensed outline until its like 18 pages

I've barely had any time to take practice questions

re: videos, I've never had that problem. It might be your internet access.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Yea, video was with storing cookies. For whatever reason if you don't delete your cookies every week or so, it will get slower and slower until you become unable to stream barbri. I've never had this happen streaming anything else, but was useful to figure out.

I haven't done (D). Should start with it.

Has anyone figured out how to stream lectures while driving through the phone?

atticus89

Postby atticus89 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:50 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:Yea, video was with storing cookies. For whatever reason if you don't delete your cookies every week or so, it will get slower and slower until you become unable to stream barbri. I've never had this happen streaming anything else, but was useful to figure out.

I haven't done (D). Should start with it.

Has anyone figured out how to stream lectures while driving through the phone?

For Barbri on their app you can select a lecture and select audio as the output method. They then have an option to 'download' the lecture -- it doesn't actually download the lecture onto your phone as an mp3, but it just makes it so that you won't have to use data to stream it while you drive. Note that once you close the app you'll lose the 'downloaded' lectures. So play around with that before you leave to drive somewhere and it should be fine -- it 'downloads' really fast if your phone is connected to wifi.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm

I wonder how much data that uses.

bluesnowflake

Postby bluesnowflake » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:14 pm

ArmyOfficer wrote:
4for44 wrote: I get that they would charge extra for say extra graded essays

For what its worth, I asked when deciding what bar review course to pick if there were extra graded essays available and my DLE said additional graded essays were available at no charge.

I have not tried to do more graded essays so I do not know if this is actually true and what the process is.

I know they charge for it - has anyone actually gotten them to grade additional essays for free?

lawschool_2014

Postby lawschool_2014 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:27 pm

3|ink wrote:

My routine:
1. Watch the lectures
4. Go back and read the CMR; supplement my condensed outline until its like 18 pages

I have been doing the same thing. I am planning to do practice questions / essays in July.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:35 pm

lawschool_2014 wrote:
3|ink wrote:

My routine:
1. Watch the lectures

I have been doing the same thing. I am planning to do practice questions / essays in July.

Yep, same here. Haven't memorized stuff yet but I've got outlines. It makes me feel better to know that others are doing the same

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:34 pm

3|ink wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:

Then they should instruct their lecturers against saying that we can rely on the handouts for studying.

Maybe that's why Schechter has no handouts.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:04 pm

How am I ever going to remember deadlines to do various things in Fed Civ Pro? Is there some pattern that's helpful? Is this even likely to come up? Amp is obsessed with it.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”