BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
musicfor18

Silver

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:"Common question of law or fact" is the standard for class action lawsuits as well, yeah?

Yep. There have to be common questions that could be resolved by a single answer as to the entire class. There's also numerosity, typicality, and adequate representation. And for the most common kind of class action (23(b)(3)), common questions must predominate over individual questions and litigating as a class must be superior to litigating individually.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:33 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
musicfor18 wrote: No. A previous poster had said that a TPP can't bring additional claims against the TPD unless it's part of the same "common nexus of operative fact" as the P's claim against D. Common nucleus is not the test for whether any kind of joinder is permissible. It's the test for supplemental jurisdiction. Same T/O + at least one common question of fact or law is the test for joinder of parties (not joinder of claims against existing parties).
Got it. We're on the same page. 8) The common "nucleus" vs. common "question" is really annoying.
Also, just real quick - going back to the impleader example: P could bring a claim against D2, but it would have to arise out of the same T/O right? And I think we established that D2 (TPD) could bring any claims it wants against either party as long as SMJ exists over each claim.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:35 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:"Common question of law or fact" is the standard for class action lawsuits as well, yeah?
Yes. Typicality is also important to remember. So, say you've got like a factory who leaked toxic chemicals into a river that injured people and damaged property. Claims for medical expenses + property damages are not typical.
Ah good catch. And I believe the full rule is that "common questions of law or fact predominate." So if these injured people were seeking compensatory damages, how would they go about doing so? Would they bring a class action against the factory to establish that the factory was negligent in leaking the toxic chemicals, and then subsequently each bring their own civil case against the factory to establish compensatory damages (using offensive issue preclusion to prevent re-litigation of the negligence issue)?

But if it was strict liability due to abnormally dangerous activity (toxic chemicals or whatever), presumably there'd be no need for the class action and each injured party would bring it's own civil case to collect compensatory damages...
I think there just has to be a common question. Then there are three types of class actions--one where common question predominates (most common), another involving injunctive relief and a third I can't remember. Notice/opt out is only required for class actions where common questions predominate. But for all class actions there must be commonality, typicality, numerosity and adequacy.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:40 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Yes. Typicality is also important to remember. So, say you've got like a factory who leaked toxic chemicals into a river that injured people and damaged property. Claims for medical expenses + property damages are not typical.
Ah good catch. And I believe the full rule is that "common questions of law or fact predominate." So if these injured people were seeking compensatory damages, how would they go about doing so? Would they bring a class action against the factory to establish that the factory was negligent in leaking the toxic chemicals, and then subsequently each bring their own civil case against the factory to establish compensatory damages (using offensive issue preclusion to prevent re-litigation of the negligence issue)?

But if it was strict liability due to abnormally dangerous activity (toxic chemicals or whatever), presumably there'd be no need for the class action and each injured party would bring it's own civil case to collect compensatory damages...
There'd have to be some way to classify the damages in order to get certified (because certification requires that the class claim predominates over individual claims and that the class action is superior to alternative actions). For example by distance from factory, or number of years lived in the area.

The alternative would be aggregated individual actions (like MDL, but for the hypo in question they might all be in the same district) where you use one trial as a bellwether to establish liability and set a marker for damages and then pretty much all the other cases settle out along those lines.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

I think there just has to be a common question. Then there are three types of class actions--one where common question predominates (most common), another involving discrimination (maybe?) and a third I can't remember. Notice/opt out is only required for class actions where common questions predominate. But for all class actions there must be commonality, typicality, numerosity and adequacy.

Common questions only have to predominate for B3 classes ($$$ class actions, usually mass tort cases). 95% sure on that. Otherwise, Charles is right, just common questions of law or fact pertain to the class.

three types (in the most general sense)

B1 - risk of inconsistent judgments
B2- injunctive relief
B3 - money damages

B3 requires that the common questions predominate and that the class action method be superior. Also require notice/opt out. B1 and B2 don't require notice/opt out but court has discretion.

(class actions be my fav)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:42 pm

if a NY essay question doesn't specify it takes place in NY do we assume it follows NY laws?

Will it ever expect you to know non-new york laws. ex: testing differences of larceny and false pretenses etc.?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:43 pm

BVest wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

There'd have to be some way to classify the damages in order to get certified (because certification requires that the class claim predominates over individual claims and that the class action is superior to alternative actions). For example by distance from factory, or number of years lived in the area.

The alternative would be aggregated individual actions (like MDL, but for the hypo in question they might all be in the same district) where you use one trial as a bellwether to establish liability and set a marker for damages and then pretty much all the other cases settle out along those lines.
Yea. Usually the court will create subclasses in a case like the example I mentioned. So you would have a subclass for the medical claims, sub class for the property, etc. Each subclass would have to meet the four 23(a) requirements

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

I think there just has to be a common question. Then there are three types of class actions--one where common question predominates (most common), another involving discrimination (maybe?) and a third I can't remember. Notice/opt out is only required for class actions where common questions predominate. But for all class actions there must be commonality, typicality, numerosity and adequacy.

Common questions only have to predominate for B3 classes ($$$ class actions, usually mass tort cases). 95% sure on that. Otherwise, Charles is right, just common questions of law or fact pertain to the class.

three types (in the most general sense)

B1 - risk of inconsistent judgments
B2- injunctive relief
B3 - money damages

B3 requires that the common questions predominate and that the class action method be superior. Also require notice/opt out. B1 and B2 don't require notice/opt out but court has discretion.

(class actions be my fav)
Thanks, I knew some rule existed about something somewhere for certain things.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:45 pm

gmail wrote:if i ever have a client who walks in holding a 21+ year lease I am going to drop kick his ass.
Clients with 21+ year leases tend to have lots of money though.
kyle010723 wrote:
gmail wrote:anyone know how to get my percentile rank to appear in studysmart MBE? is there a minimum # of Qs I need to answer? right now it comes up blank.
It says updated nightly, so wait till tomorrow to check?
I thought it was updated on Sunday night (around midnight).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:48 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
musicfor18 wrote: No. A previous poster had said that a TPP can't bring additional claims against the TPD unless it's part of the same "common nexus of operative fact" as the P's claim against D. Common nucleus is not the test for whether any kind of joinder is permissible. It's the test for supplemental jurisdiction. Same T/O + at least one common question of fact or law is the test for joinder of parties (not joinder of claims against existing parties).
Got it. We're on the same page. 8) The common "nucleus" vs. common "question" is really annoying.
Also, just real quick - going back to the impleader example: P could bring a claim against D2, but it would have to arise out of the same T/O right? And I think we established that D2 (TPD) could bring any claims it wants against either party as long as SMJ exists over each claim.
Yes and no. P can bring a claim against TPD (don't call him D2) if it arises out same T/O. After that, P can join any additional claims against TPD. TPD can assert any counterclaim (even if unrelated to the action) against TPP, but TPD's first claim against P has to be same T/O. After that, TPD can assert additional unrelated against P.

Easy way to remember all this. Once any party A has asserted one claim against any party B that arises from the same T/O as the underlying action, that party A can then add unrelated claims against party B. This 2-step process always has to be followed except, if someone asserts a claim against you, you can fire back immediately with an unrelated permissive counterclaim.

Lawlawpalooza

New

Post by Lawlawpalooza » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:50 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
BearState wrote:Is there a certain percentage goal Barbri says you should reach on the mixed sets? Thanks in advance.
Mixed Set 1: 31/50 (62%)
Mixed Set 2: 33/50 (66%)
Mixed Set 3: 33/50 (66%)
Mixed Set 4: 34/50 (68%)
Mixed Set 5: 34/50 (68%)
Mixed Set 6: 34/50 (68%)
Mixed Set 7: 34/50 (68%)

Are these "goals" or averages from past students? These aren't on that sheet in my MBE book.

Basically trying to figure out if hitting this would mean you're Barbri median or that Barbri thinks you're so GOLDEN they don't need to manipulate you into studying more. :lol:

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Lawlawpalooza wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
BearState wrote:Is there a certain percentage goal Barbri says you should reach on the mixed sets? Thanks in advance.

Are these "goals" or averages from past students? These aren't on that sheet in my MBE book.

Basically trying to figure out if hitting this would mean you're Barbri median or that Barbri thinks you're so GOLDEN they don't need to manipulate you into studying more. :lol:

I've convinced myself that the "goals" mean "if you can score this high on our ridiculous Q sets you're going to pass"

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:52 pm

Lawlawpalooza wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

Averages.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Anyone else take it easy this weekend? All I've done is flashcards. Should I be doing more? Feel good about where I am pass wise, but definitely not where some of you guys are at.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Anyone else take it easy this weekend? All I've done is flashcards. Should I be doing more? Feel good about where I am pass wise, but definitely not where some of you guys are at.
Watching the mini review lectures (ie., drinking while listening to the lectures and watching harry potter).

Might buy one of the OBE-MBE sets from the NCBE to run through tomorrow just as a confidence builder. That's max.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:58 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:Anyone else take it easy this weekend? All I've done is flashcards. Should I be doing more? Feel good about where I am pass wise, but definitely not where some of you guys are at.
Watching the mini review lectures (ie., drinking while listening to the lectures and watching harry potter).

Might buy one of the OBE-MBE sets from the NCBE to run through tomorrow just as a confidence builder. That's max.
What are these mini review lectures? Are they through barbri? Did I miss them?

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:06 pm

BVest wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
gmail wrote:anyone know how to get my percentile rank to appear in studysmart MBE? is there a minimum # of Qs I need to answer? right now it comes up blank.
It says updated nightly, so wait till tomorrow to check?
I thought it was updated on Sunday night (around midnight).
App percentile updates nightly. Homepage graphs or whatever they are percentile updates Sunday night.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

What are these mini review lectures? Are they through barbri? Did I miss them?
Yea, they're through BarBri. They sent emails about it around the beginning of July. They're alright. I mean, it's pretty broad. You can probably get an equal review going through the lecture notebook at speed of about a page a second lol

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Reviewing exam instructions... was glad to see this for MBE (at least for Texas' administration): "Mechanical pencils may be used as long as they contain the equivalent of No. 2 lead."
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 pm

what were your scores on the Emanuel test? I got 82% on the AM exam and I don't feel like doing the PM half. I heard the AM exam is alot easier?

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:what were your scores on the Emanuel test? I got 82% on the AM exam and I don't feel like doing the PM half. I heard the AM exam is alot easier?
I did a good bit better on the PM than the AM (69/100 AM, 77/100 PM). Sounds like you don't have anything to worry about though if you can replicate that score on test day!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Contracts - Risk of Loss

In a shipment contract, "once delivery [to a common carrier] is complete, risk of loss shifts to the buyer." There is no mention of whether the seller is a merchant or non-merchant.

In the next section, "If a merchant seller, risk of loss shifts to buyer once he takes physical possession of the goods. If non-merchant seller, risk of loss shifts to the buyer upon tendering delivery."

How does you reconcile a shipment contract by a merchant seller? When does risk of loss pass to the buyer? At physical possession of goods, or at delivery to common carrier?

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Last minute panic attack alert! Just wrote out 3 timed essays. 4/6 on the first two after self grading, but I got 1/6 on the third. I completely fucked up a rule of law, and applied all of the facts to that rule, thus missing out on like 60% of Barbri's points. On the bar, what would happen if we get the rule wrong and then apply all of the facts to that rule?

I feel like I should be coasting at this point... I'm averaging about 70% on Barbri's MBE stuff, and I'm in a pure UBE state. Should I legitimately be worried, or is this pretty common?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:37 pm

murray18 wrote:Last minute panic attack alert! Just wrote out 3 timed essays. 4/6 on the first two after self grading, but I got 1/6 on the third. I completely fucked up a rule of law, and applied all of the facts to that rule, thus missing out on like 60% of Barbri's points. On the bar, what would happen if we get the rule wrong and then apply all of the facts to that rule?

I feel like I should be coasting at this point... I'm averaging about 70% on Barbri's MBE stuff, and I'm in a pure UBE state. Should I legitimately be worried, or is this pretty common?
I don't know how you guys are self grading all these essays. My book has questions, and model answers. There's nothing to grade with.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:38 pm

redblueyellow wrote:Contracts - Risk of Loss

In a shipment contract, "once delivery [to a common carrier] is complete, risk of loss shifts to the buyer." There is no mention of whether the seller is a merchant or non-merchant.

In the next section, "If a merchant seller, risk of loss shifts to buyer once he takes physical possession of the goods. If non-merchant seller, risk of loss shifts to the buyer upon tendering delivery."

How does you reconcile a shipment contract by a merchant seller? When does risk of loss pass to the buyer? At physical possession of goods, or at delivery to common carrier?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the common carrier rule applies when both parties are merchants. The physical possession rule applies when seller is a merchant and buyer is a non-merchant. Tendering delivery applies when seller is a non-merchant, no matter who the buyer is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”