BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

ladylawyer1221

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:06 pm

Can someone please explain #35 on Mixed Set 6??

[+] Spoiler
I thought that since girlfriend testified under oath at a deposition, the deposition testimony could be used for ANY reason (impeach + substantive evidence), but the answer says to impeach only..... What am I missing?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:07 pm

ladylawyer1221 wrote:Can someone please explain #35 on Mixed Set 6??

[+] Spoiler
I thought that since girlfriend testified under oath at a deposition, the deposition testimony could be used for ANY reason (impeach + substantive evidence), but the answer says to impeach only..... What am I missing?

I thought it would come in as Prior inconsistent statements by a witness under oath at a legal proceeding, but I guess not

ETA: I second guessed the original answer, now I have no clue why I was wrong either, lol.
Last edited by kyle010723 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:07 pm

BearState wrote:Is there a certain percentage goal Barbri says you should reach on the mixed sets? Thanks in advance.

Set 1: 31
Set 2: 33
Set 3: 33
Set 4: 34
Set 5: 34
Set 6: 34
Set 7: 34

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:08 pm

BearState wrote:Is there a certain percentage goal Barbri says you should reach on the mixed sets? Thanks in advance.

Mixed Set 1: 31/50 (62%)
Mixed Set 2: 33/50 (66%)
Mixed Set 3: 33/50 (66%)
Mixed Set 4: 34/50 (68%)
Mixed Set 5: 34/50 (68%)
Mixed Set 6: 34/50 (68%)
Mixed Set 7: 34/50 (68%)

Blue Ivy

Postby Blue Ivy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Are there any special rules with respect to getting jurisdiction over foreign country defendants? Or are just subject to regular personal jurisdiction analysis contact, relatedness, and fairness?

ladylawyer1221

Postby ladylawyer1221 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:13 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
Because she was not a party in the case, she was a mere witness... I made the same mistake

[+] Spoiler
Wait... so the use of a prior inconsistent statement to impeach + substantive evidence only applies to parties?? I don't remember ever learning that... I thought it applied to any witness.

This question is driving me insane and it really shouldn't lol.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:16 pm

ladylawyer1221 wrote:
[+] Spoiler
Wait... so the use of a prior inconsistent statement to impeach + substantive evidence only applies to parties?? I don't remember ever learning that... I thought it applied to any witness.

This question is driving me insane and it really shouldn't lol.

Yea, I said that and realized that doesn't make sense. SO now I have no idea why we were wrong. lol. The key lies somewhere within the way the deposition was took, but I cannot figure out why the way it was took would make any difference.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Can someone explain Interpleader to me like I'm an 8 year old? Or just tell me that I don't need to know it, cause that would be even better.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Quick Q: Is this a typo in emmanuels MBE AM #45

[+] Spoiler
"[re: negligence per se] ... an excused violation of [the statutory standard] that leads to harm will constitute PF case of negligence.

Should "excused" be "unexcused"? Just cause the D showed an excuse for the conduct and therefore would most likely win?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:23 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Can someone explain Interpleader to me like I'm an 8 year old? Or just tell me that I don't need to know it, cause that would be even better.

P has money or property that potentially D1, D2, and D3 can assert rights in.

So P interplead all D1, D2, and D3.

Under Rule Interpleader
P must have diversity against all D1, D2, and D3, and amount of controversy must exceed $75,000

Under Statutory Interpleader
As long any one of the two defendants are from a different state, then diversity is satisfied. And amount of controversy is only $500+
Oh, and venue is proper under statutory interpleader in any venue where any defendant resides...

Easy right :)?

BearState

Postby BearState » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Rule Interpleader = Regular diversity requirement (complete diversity, $75k)
Statutory Interpleader = Special (limited) diversity (only Ps need to be diverse, $500)

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:50 pm

[+] Spoiler

I think (but am not completely confident) that the reason this can't come in as substantive evidence is just because the question doesn't show whether or not the prior inconsistent statement would be relevant as substantive evidence. In another words, just the fact of inconsistency is enough to impeach. But it can only be admitted as substantive evidence (as a hearsay exclusion) if it's actually relevant. The question doesn't say what the statement was about, or really what her live testimony was about either.

Also, I think the wording "for any purpose" is too broad. Nothing can be used "for any purpose." For example, what if the statement was impermissible character evidence?

Thoughts?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:54 pm

musicfor18 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

I think (but am not completely confident) that the reason this can't come in as substantive evidence is just because the question doesn't show whether or not the prior inconsistent statement would be relevant as substantive evidence. In another words, just the fact of inconsistency is enough to impeach. But it can only be admitted as substantive evidence (as a hearsay exclusion) if it's actually relevant. The question doesn't say what the statement was about, or really what her live testimony was about either.

Also, I think the wording "for any purpose" is too broad. Nothing can be used "for any purpose."

Thoughts?

I agree, but ONLY to impeach seems too narrow too. And I think it didn't say that the statement was "inconsistent," we just assumed that because it was because of impeachment.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:57 pm

BearState wrote:Rule Interpleader = Regular diversity requirement (complete diversity, $75k)
Statutory Interpleader = Special (limited) diversity (only Ps need to be diverse, $500)

*At least 2 claimants need to be diverse in statutory interpleader.

I'd also add that statutory interpleader is an independent action; while, rule interpleader is brought after the fact.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:08 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Also, I think the wording "for any purpose" is too broad. Nothing can be used "for any purpose."

Thoughts?

I agree, but ONLY to impeach seems too narrow too. And I think it didn't say that the statement was "inconsistent," we just assumed that because it was because of impeachment.

I mean, the call of the question is also says the prosecutor plans to use it to impeach. It didn't say the prosecutor wanted to use it as substantive evidence.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:10 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Can someone explain Interpleader to me like I'm an 8 year old? Or just tell me that I don't need to know it, cause that would be even better.

P has money or property that potentially D1, D2, and D3 can assert rights in.

So P interplead all D1, D2, and D3.

Under Rule Interpleader
P must have diversity against all D1, D2, and D3, and amount of controversy must exceed $75,000

Under Statutory Interpleader
As long any one of the two defendants are from a different state, then diversity is satisfied. And amount of controversy is only $500+
Oh, and venue is proper under statutory interpleader in any venue where any defendant resides...

Easy right :)?
robinhoodOO wrote:
BearState wrote:Rule Interpleader = Regular diversity requirement (complete diversity, $75k)

*At least 2 claimants need to be diverse in statutory interpleader.

I'd also add that statutory interpleader is an independent action; while, rule interpleader is brought after the fact.

Awesome. Thank you all!

gmail

Postby gmail » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:44 pm

I am doing repeat 20 q sets of civ pro, torts, real prop, and contracts (my shittiest topics) and I am consistently stuck at 40%. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

gmail

Postby gmail » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:53 pm

I am concerned that the Studysmart MBE questions are often decided on the most minute distinctions of law that will not be tested on the actual bar. Am I just a whiny little, underperforming bitch, or am I right here?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm

gmail wrote:I am concerned that the Studysmart MBE questions are often decided on the most minute distinctions of law that will not be tested on the actual bar. Am I just a whiny little, underperforming bitch, or am I right here?

You can change difficult to introductory or intermediate, that should eliminate some minute distinctions

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:05 pm

How do we know which clause to drop when a portion of a conveyance violates the RAP?

To my daughters and her heirs, so long as its used to burn Bar prep materials, then to my son and his heirs.

The answer says we cross out "then to my son and his heirs." I had crossed out "so long as....materials". But I guess To my daughter and her heirs, then to my son and his heirs, makes no sense?

I'm confused :roll:

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:08 pm

moreheesh wrote:How do we know which clause to drop when a portion of a conveyance violates the RAP?

To my daughters and her heirs, so long as its used to burn Bar prep materials, then to my son and his heirs.

The answer says we cross out "then to my son and his heirs." I had crossed out "so long as....materials". But I guess To my daughter and her heirs, then to my son and his heirs, makes no sense?

You cross out as little as necessary. So it becomes a FSD instead of a FSA to daughter.

It is much easier on theory, extremely difficult to figure out in an actual exam type question.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:14 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
moreheesh wrote:How do we know which clause to drop when a portion of a conveyance violates the RAP?

You cross out as little as necessary. So it becomes a FSD instead of a FSA to daughter.

It is much easier on theory, extremely difficult to figure out in an actual exam type question.

You pretty much use grammatical common sense. You cross out only the interest that violates RAP. Then, if what's left makes grammatical sense, you leave it. If it doesn't, then you probably strike that also. In your example, "so long as . . ." isn't part of the interest that violates RAP, and if you strike only what comes after it, you're left with "to my daughter and her heirs so long as it's used to burn Bar prep materials." Fee simple determinable with a possibility of reverter in grantor.

In contrast, imagine the conveyance was "to my daughter and her heirs, but if it is ever used other than to burn Bar prep materials, then to my son and his heirs." In that case, you'd be left with "to my daughter and her heirs, but if it is ever used other than to burn Bar prep materials." I think courts split on what they'd do here. For MBE purposes, I believe the proper answer is to strike the conditional clause, giving daughter a FSA. But some courts would probably imply a right of re-entry.
Last edited by musicfor18 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwe-houston

Postby jwe-houston » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:15 pm

gmail wrote:I am concerned that the Studysmart MBE questions are often decided on the most minute distinctions of law that will not be tested on the actual bar. Am I just a whiny little, underperforming bitch, or am I right here?

Yes. Barbri "studysmart" has that "makes shit up" quality about it. Some in the printed sets aren't much better (When has the 13th Amendment *ever* been the right answer?). Mixed sets progressively get harder and harder (trying to fine tune the distinctions?). At this point, get the ~35Q's per topic of decommissioned questions and plow through those if you need something to practice on.

Yesterday I rage-quit studysmart ...TWICE. You are not alone. Barbri is a sadistic bitch.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:18 pm

jwe-houston wrote:

Yes. Barbri "studysmart" has that "makes shit up" quality about it. Some in the printed sets aren't much better (When has the 13th Amendment *ever* been the right answer?). Mixed sets progressively get harder and harder (trying to fine tune the distinctions?). At this point, get the ~35Q's per topic of decommissioned questions and plow through those if you need something to practice on.

Yesterday I rage-quit studysmart ...TWICE. You are not alone. Barbri is a sadistic bitch.

I've actually seen 13th Amendment be the right answer a few times. It has an enforcement clause that Congress can use to make laws against private racial discrimination ("badges of slavery").

catch12

Postby catch12 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Anyone else feel like it's impossible to know ALL these rules for the essays?

Reading the passing (like 65-70) answers from prior years is kind of scary, they seem to hit the rules pretty accurately... Not totally sure that I can replicate that on Tuesday, especially if it's on CA Evidence or something.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”