BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

rhs100

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rhs100 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Does anyone have access to good mnemonics for Crim (or for any other subjects)?

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:19 pm

n/m
Last edited by mushybrain on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Am I the only person who thinks that might be protected intellectual property?

Then again, I guess I don't know yet. I've yet to internalize the stupid property rules.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:25 pm

3|ink wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that might be protected intellectual property?

Then again, I guess I don't know yet. I've yet to internalize the stupid property rules.

It probably is.

I also don't understand the point of the post.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 pm

florentine wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:My biggest fear is getting a question like Crim Pro Essay 10. Looking at my lecture handout and CriticalPass flashcards, I don't see interlocutory injunctions or temporary restraining orders mentioned anywhere. A whole essay based on a part of the law that isn't covered much in the materials.

That's because interlocutory injunctions and TRO's are discussed in the Civil Procedure materials.

But "civil" procedure. Are we to assume that the same rules for injunctions and TROs would apply in criminal cases? Why would we assume that?

941law

Postby 941law » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:59 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
But "civil" procedure. Are we to assume that the same rules for injunctions and TROs would apply in criminal cases? Why would we assume that?

TRO is a civil matter even if done in criminal court. Still the same procedure; however I didn't read your previous post.

I wouldn't mind for a long ass list of every issue/topic testable on my bar exam now that I think about it.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Anyone willing to share whatever Torts outline they were able to create for Schecter? We have him later this week and I would rather work off an already drafted model rather than try and keep up with listening/typing.

bluesnowflake

Postby bluesnowflake » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:25 am

Just curious - for those of you using Adaptibar in addition to Barbri, do you find the questions in Adaptibar WAY more straightforward? It feels almost like they're questions for entirely different exams to me...

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:43 am

bluesnowflake wrote:Just curious - for those of you using Adaptibar in addition to Barbri, do you find the questions in Adaptibar WAY more straightforward? It feels almost like they're questions for entirely different exams to me...

Yes. This is a product of Adaptibar actually using all REAL questions from previously administered tests vs. Barbri steroiding their questions up to instill fear in test takers to continue studying. Some members on this forum have informed me that your percentile scores in Adaptibar are much more indicative of how well you will be doing on test day.

As an aside, how are you using Adaptibar (I have asked this before but have gotten limited response)? Are you only doing 50 questions per subject at this point and waiting to get through all MBE subjects prior to proceeding (ie what Adaptibar recommends)? Or are you just hammering through as many questions as possible after completing different subjects.

bluesnowflake

Postby bluesnowflake » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:51 am

I'm closer to the Adaptibar approach. I've been doing a handful (like 10-15) on Adaptibar after I finish a Barbri set for the same subject. By the time I get through all the Barbri assignments, I'll be at about 50 per and will start hammering through them to cement what I have (theoretically) learned.

florentine

Postby florentine » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:37 am

I know this has been discussed before but I just need to vent because I'm having a rough weekend.

We were assigned a Wills and Trusts essays, a Property essay, and a Civ Pro essay. I felt completely unprepared for all of them. I'm following the schedul, watching the videos and trying to keep up but it's feels like all the material is just mashed up at this point. There's so much information to go through on a daily basis it just feels like so much. I'm lost at this point and feel hopeless.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:43 am

Thought you guys might enjoy this little piece of insanity from my Real Property percentile rank breakdowns:

Covenants; Easements; Fixtures: 100th percentile out of 3710
Deeds; Wills; Recording: 1st percentile out of 3644

I am literally THE BEST and THE WORST at the same time.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:07 am

florentine wrote:I know this has been discussed before but I just need to vent because I'm having a rough weekend.

We were assigned a Wills and Trusts essays, a Property essay, and a Civ Pro essay. I felt completely unprepared for all of them. I'm following the schedul, watching the videos and trying to keep up but it's feels like all the material is just mashed up at this point. There's so much information to go through on a daily basis it just feels like so much. I'm lost at this point and feel hopeless.

No need for hopelessness, you are doing exactly what you should be doing it seems. Are you having trouble identifying issues, or is it trouble articulating rule proofs? If the later, that is no big issue at all at this point. Being able to write solid rule proofs for every essay assigned at this point I think goes beyond what would be expected of you/us. If its a missing issue thing, then use this as a chance to catalog that issue and note some of the relevant facts that the bar examiners have used to bring it up. The mere fact that you are taking the time to do this and then read the examiner analysis, whether your know it or not, probably will hep you retain that information in the future. And probably is more than the bottom 20% of people are doing.

Some advice I have been given from some of the more intelligent people at my law school, pretty much all previous law review members, is that you wont remember all of the law when completing the essays. Sometimes you will make it up, and thats OK. If in that case, you make up some reasonable law and you apply the facts like hell to that law. Application of facts to law is the primary skill here, and you will be rewarded. No need for doom and gloom. They key is to keep pushing through and keep struggling. Exhausted effort now will reap rewards later, just keep going.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:09 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Thought you guys might enjoy this little piece of insanity from my Real Property percentile rank breakdowns:

Ha, my worst percentile is in deeds as well. The most interesting thing that I noted in your response however is the "out of 3644" number. For deeds specifically for me it says "out of 5421" and for covenants . . . "out of 5496." How can that be?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 am

Kage3212 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Thought you guys might enjoy this little piece of insanity from my Real Property percentile rank breakdowns:

Ha, my worst percentile is in deeds as well. The most interesting thing that I noted in your response however is the "out of 3644" number. For deeds specifically for me it says "out of 5421" and for covenants . . . "out of 5496." How can that be?

Don't know. Maybe it's counting other people who have done exactly the same question sets as us, or something like that.
I have numbers in the 5000s for ConLaw.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:50 am

Same for me with Crim Law/Pro: 100% for Inchoate/Accomplices and Right to Counsel/Confessions and 1% for Trial/Post-Trial Rights

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:58 am

bluesnowflake wrote:Just curious - for those of you using Adaptibar in addition to Barbri, do you find the questions in Adaptibar WAY more straightforward? It feels almost like they're questions for entirely different exams to me...

I feel the same way with Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics, which also uses real MBE questions. I'm hitting Barbri's goals for most subjects (50%-60%) but I'm hitting 70%-80% on the Emanuel questions. If I have a rough day on the barbri questions I usually do a few questions out of Emanuel to feel more confident.

bluesnowflake

Postby bluesnowflake » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:17 am

Good for you! I'm not hitting Barbri's yet (hopefully because I learn from flashcards, but it takes me so long to make them that I just do the assignments before I'm done making them), but Adaptibar is a helpful reminder I don't entirely suck. :)

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a study technique that doesn't involve flashcards that works for them? I'd love some new ideas.

diowad

Postby diowad » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:28 am

I've actually abandoned the handmade flashcards I was doing for the first 2 1/2 weeks. First, it was a real 180 for me personally because I've always preferred just doing outlines so I can see relationships. The only reason I didn't start with outlining was because BarBri provided its own. Second, handmade flash cards chew up way too much time for what I was getting out of them. In the 1-2 hours I would spend after a lecture making flashcards, I could spend a quarter of that time typing up the big points from the day's lecture, then doing practice questions for the rest of it. My own outline gives me more flexibility because when I miss questions, I can go back and fill them in as a point to know, whereas with flashcards, I may have already maxed out my space.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Getting a late start to the action unfortunately. I've been doing my own outlines too, but only because I can only learn things by doing them.

Back on contracts - does any one know what is covered by the NY General Obligations exception to the Firm Offer rule - does this include services and real estate as well?

To refresh anyone's memory, the general obligation rule states that an offer in a signed writing including a promise to be irrevocable is irrevocable with no maximum time limit.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 pm

I just bombed the 3rd Study Smart Evidence question set. I've been doing great in evidence (80%ish) right on both previous question sets. This time... got the first 6 questions wrong. Feeling a bit demoralized, even though I know I shouldn't. Sorry, I just needed to vent that.

Ineedhelpplease

Postby Ineedhelpplease » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 pm

I really hate Vincent Alexander (Evidence//NY Practice). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Ineedhelpplease wrote:I really hate Vincent Alexander (Evidence//NY Practice). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I actually only used the 1L Study Smart series with him for evidence. Due to personal obligations and the holidays, I skipped approximately 90% of classes and learned everything in 1 day with the videos. It was enough to get above median at a fairly competitive law school. I think you should give him more of a shot.

On the BLL questions, aren't they intentionally nitpicky. Will the bar really test such tiny distinctions of BLL?

Ineedhelpplease

Postby Ineedhelpplease » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:28 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
Ineedhelpplease wrote:I really hate Vincent Alexander (Evidence//NY Practice). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I actually only used the 1L Study Smart series with him for evidence. Due to personal obligations and the holidays, I skipped approximately 90% of classes and learned everything in 1 day with the videos. It was enough to get above median at a fairly competitive law school. I think you should give him more of a shot.

On the BLL questions, aren't they intentionally nitpicky. Will the bar really test such tiny distinctions of BLL?

It has to do more with his constant repeating, at this point I'm just trying to take notes in the lecture handout and move on. So my head is just in writing mode and his repeating of the same point (and adding the rationale behind it) is throwing me really off.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Anyone else completely outraged at the fact that Barbri is trying to upsell us for a review session?

"BARBRI MINI REVIEW
The BARBRI Mini Review is a one-day, eight hour program that will be presented LIVE at Fordham Law School in New York City on July 14. It will be available online beginning July 17. This program highlights significant aspects of topics frequently tested on the bar exam and is designed for students who want a definitive “last minute final review.” Subjects covered: Administrative Law, Contracts, Corporations, Criminal Law, Federal Civil Procedure, New York Practice, Real Property, and Wills. Tuition for the Mini Review is $129 ($99 if enrolled by June 30). Enroll at BARBRI.com"

How can what we already paid not include that?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”