BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 am

Remember that equity essay I just complained about? Apparently real essay from July 2013 in IL... the other IL essay that year? A whole essay on water rights! I'm going to go hide under a cover now.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:00 am

Learned Throw Hands wrote:Took Emmanuals PM today and got 69/100. I checked my score after the first 50 and was at like 82%. fuck. I wonder who in the fuck is scoring like 160 raw on these exams because I've almost exclusively focused on the MBE and I'm still maxing out below where I'd like to be.


Shit is so frustrating. FWIW I thought the PM was a bit harder than the AM and I'm in full UBE state so I have also basically gonna HAM on the MBE

Eta: 69 is still solid though. Don't overlook that.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 am

kyle010723 wrote:Remember that equity essay I just complained about? Apparently real essay from July 2013 in IL... the other IL essay that year? A whole essay on water rights! I'm going to go hide under a cover now.


For random things like this, I always wonder why bar examiners test topics that they know students will likely not know. I am assuming that many other people who had this essay were just like WTF.

I think this may be a sort of bar examine trick, to see how exmainees handle the stress of not knowing the subject matter at all. Sink or swim type of mentality. I would guess that a reasonable "college try" would have netted a good amount of points compared to those that didn't even venture a shot.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:14 am

How is everything planning on carrying all of their stuff to the bar exam?

My understanding is that we can take like a bookbag and what not for laptop/lunch carrying, but we have to leave it unattended in a hallway area. Worth taking a decent northface bookbag, or should I be pulling out the beater from college?

ohhoney
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:08 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby ohhoney » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:47 am

jamescastle wrote:
ohhoney wrote:I've gotten 70%+ on the couple Barbri mixed sets I've done and got 77/100 on the Emanuel A.M. questions yesterday...I was feeling pretty good. Then I scored my Barbri half day and got 57. Kinda panicked. Talk me off the ledge??! Anyone experience anything similar?

I'm getting low 60s on everything and took the BARBRI Half Day. Got a 52.
Feel awful right now.



At least we aren't alone in the awful feeling. I've decided that the Barbri Half Day and its good friend the MBE "Refresher" can both go straight to hell. Like why are you testing me on obscure, nuanced bullshit this close to the test, Barbri?! We should just forget those confidence-killers and forge ahead, I suppose.

Outis Onoma
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Outis Onoma » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:15 am

Did essay 3 for trusts. That was a bloodbath.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:19 am

Kage3212 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Remember that equity essay I just complained about? Apparently real essay from July 2013 in IL... the other IL essay that year? A whole essay on water rights! I'm going to go hide under a cover now.


For random things like this, I always wonder why bar examiners test topics that they know students will likely not know. I am assuming that many other people who had this essay were just like WTF.

I think this may be a sort of bar examine trick, to see how exmainees handle the stress of not knowing the subject matter at all. Sink or swim type of mentality. I would guess that a reasonable "college try" would have netted a good amount of points compared to those that didn't even venture a shot.


This is my belief and why I expect at least one curveball essay. There's no way they could expect more than 5% of people to know a few of the questions I've seen. The model answer is typically generic and far from right but it was well written and analyzed.

zta_themis
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:12 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zta_themis » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:04 am

Outis Onoma wrote:Did essay 3 for trusts. That was a bloodbath.


Was it the one about re-writing the trust to make it conform to the husband's wishes? I'm not sure if we all have the same MEET book but if so I remember LOLing at that question.

Lawlawpalooza
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Lawlawpalooza » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am

zta_themis wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:Did essay 3 for trusts. That was a bloodbath.


Was it the one about re-writing the trust to make it conform to the husband's wishes? I'm not sure if we all have the same MEET book but if so I remember LOLing at that question.


Me too. And then I shut off my timer and flipped straight to the answer page without writing a word.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:13 am

Lawlawpalooza wrote:
zta_themis wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:Did essay 3 for trusts. That was a bloodbath.


Was it the one about re-writing the trust to make it conform to the husband's wishes? I'm not sure if we all have the same MEET book but if so I remember LOLing at that question.


Me too. And then I shut off my timer and flipped straight to the answer page without writing a word.


I've seen that question too. See, with law school, we go in there knowing we know everything there is to know about the subject. With the bar, we don't even know half of the subjects. I usually don't even stress about a law school final, but this is unreal.

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 941law » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:41 am

We set the grade scaling, not them. Obviously there is a minority of us that will be over prepared and ready for anything, and then a chunk that underestimated the exam, but the majority of us will know just enough. We will define "just enough."

Relax.

Ludacrispat26
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 am

Ludacrispat26 wrote:We get scrap paper for the essays, right? New York here.


Just a bump

User avatar
vulaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby vulaw » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:14 am

941law wrote:We set the grade scaling, not them. Obviously there is a minority of us that will be over prepared and ready for anything, and then a chunk that underestimated the exam, but the majority of us will know just enough. We will define "just enough."

Relax.


"Just enough" is fine with me.

User avatar
LSL
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby LSL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 am

Just wanted to give a shout-out/reminder to a tool that's been helping me drill in areas I need improvement or more confidence on for the MBE subjects.

In Barbri Study-Smart MBE, go to "self-study" mode and then expand the subject matter (ex: Evidence--->Impeachment). You can isolate the exact topic of questions you want to practice. Moreover, you can pick the difficulty (introductory/intermediate/difficult/or all). Going with the lower levels of difficulty in topic areas I've still wanted practice with has helped weed-out some of the "WTF Barbri?" effect of having to deal with really nuanced, hyper-specific questions that are less likely to show up on the test (and confidence killers) while also giving me some practice in the fundamentals of that topic.

User avatar
gk101
Posts: 3675
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gk101 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:39 am

got 147/200 on the Barbri MBE thing. Have yet to write out a single essay but I have given up on practicing those. going to read through those condensed outlines for essay topics today and tomorrow and hope I can throw in enough buzzwords on game day

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:44 am

Anybody else reached the point of just semi-consciously reviewing their outline? Granted, I'm in a 1/3 MBE state and 1 essay point is worth about 4 MBE points. But, I'm just ready for this to be over and feel like the next few days are going to drag by. For the essays, will I be able to recall the difference between a quorum for shareholders and a quorum for directors? I hope so, but if not I'll just say it is a majority, act like I'm absolutely sure that's right and move on.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:50 am

LSL wrote:Just wanted to give a shout-out/reminder to a tool that's been helping me drill in areas I need improvement or more confidence on for the MBE subjects.

In Barbri Study-Smart MBE, go to "self-study" mode and then expand the subject matter (ex: Evidence--->Impeachment). You can isolate the exact topic of questions you want to practice. Moreover, you can pick the difficulty (introductory/intermediate/difficult/or all). Going with the lower levels of difficulty in topic areas I've still wanted practice with has helped weed-out some of the "WTF Barbri?" effect of having to deal with really nuanced, hyper-specific questions that are less likely to show up on the test (and confidence killers) while also giving me some practice in the fundamentals of that topic.


Wow I wish I had known this a month ago

cdelgado
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby cdelgado » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:57 am

To hell with these essays. A majority of examinees cannot know this material.

At least, that's my hope.

User avatar
LSL
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby LSL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:58 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:Wow I wish I had known this a month ago


Yeah, my thoughts too. Found out about it a few days ago and have been trying it out with success. At least it can help a bit with trying to drill down the trickier shit in these last few days.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:00 am

cdelgado wrote:To hell with these essays. A majority of examinees cannot know this material.

At least, that's my hope.

I'm trying to convince myself this

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:05 am

kyle010723 wrote:
cdelgado wrote:To hell with these essays. A majority of examinees cannot know this material.

At least, that's my hope.

I'm trying to convince myself this


I feel like our goal should simply be to avoid answering a question in a way that has the grader respond with:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

User avatar
BearState
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BearState » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:06 am

I think if you just throw in "reasonable" a bunch you're fine

User avatar
Rudolph
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Rudolph » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:09 am

Rudolph wrote:How are people remembering the distinction between claim preclusion and issue preclusion? I seem to confuse which doctrine will bar a subsequent action with some regularity.


Bumping this question -- any help appreciated!

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 am

charlesxavier wrote:I feel like our goal should simply be to avoid answering a question in a way that has the grader respond with:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."


Oh God, I would be so tempted to put in an essay that the Supreme Court cannot have the final say on what is constitutional and Congress can override them by simply passing a bill. But then I will surely fail.

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby victortsoi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:13 am

just so we're not all confused next week- assuming we get anything related to same sex marriage on either our state essays or mbe, we address it with intermediate scrutiny, despite the fact that last month the SC basically shuffled the issue into the strict scrutiny category (forgive me, I'm not a con law savant). ?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mfeller2 and 7 guests