BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:37/50* on MPQ Set 6



*I have seen a handful of these questions from Emanuel's so my score is inflated :oops:

How have you seen them on Emanuel's? Are the MPQ sets real MBE questions?

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 pm

3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:37/50* on MPQ Set 6

*I have seen a handful of these questions from Emanuel's so my score is inflated :oops:

How have you seen them on Emanuel's? Are the MPQ sets real MBE questions?


Barbri's questions are a mix of made-up and real ones

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Question for others doing questions on Adaptibar. I know that the program adapts to give you questions in your areas of weakness. Please tell me that this means the questions get harder as you go along. Over the last couple of days, I've been doing worse on them, although I did very well on the simulated MBE and the refresher. Am I losing it?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:11 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:37/50* on MPQ Set 6

*I have seen a handful of these questions from Emanuel's so my score is inflated :oops:

How have you seen them on Emanuel's? Are the MPQ sets real MBE questions?


Barbri's questions are a mix of made-up and real ones

Yikes. I thought they were all fake.

User avatar
smokeylarue
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:28 pm

Damn those sample Civpro questions released by the official people are way harder than any of the Barbri stuff. Testing ridiculously specific stuff.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:31 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Question for others doing questions on Adaptibar. I know that the program adapts to give you questions in your areas of weakness. Please tell me that this means the questions get harder as you go along. Over the last couple of days, I've been doing worse on them, although I did very well on the simulated MBE and the refresher. Am I losing it?


The only relative way to gauge the difficulty of the question is to look at the percentage of other students who have either gotten that specific question correct or incorrect.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:37 pm

3|ink wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:37/50* on MPQ Set 6

*I have seen a handful of these questions from Emanuel's so my score is inflated :oops:

How have you seen them on Emanuel's? Are the MPQ sets real MBE questions?


Barbri's questions are a mix of made-up and real ones

Yikes. I thought they were all fake.


And FWIW there are some BarBri questions that are nearly identical in logic/answer (just different facts) as some Emanuel questions, too. Which can either mean (1) that the NCBE recycles questions and just switches the facts (eg., "Son/Daughter" to "Graduate/Freshman") or (2) some of BarBri's questions are "fake" but only to the extent that they've switched facts.

I hope that makes sense.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Damn those sample Civpro questions released by the official people are way harder than any of the Barbri stuff. Testing ridiculously specific stuff.


That's my thought on the released 21 question mixed set too... If that was anything like the real thing, umm... yea

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:08 pm

MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

I don't remember the question, but that sounds right.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:20 pm

3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

I don't remember the question, but that sounds right.


As long as that sounds right to someone else, I'm alright with that. I thought the Supremacy Clause would be more narrow (ie., only apply to laws)

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:20 pm

I hoped to get some studying in at work this week, but this freakin big thing came up at work and I have barely been able to fit in lunch.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

I don't remember the question, but that sounds right.


As long as that sounds right to someone else, I'm alright with that. I thought the Supremacy Clause would be more narrow (ie., only apply to laws)

Is this a federal statute conflicting with a state statute? I can't find my pdf of that mpq.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:24 pm

3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

I don't remember the question, but that sounds right.


As long as that sounds right to someone else, I'm alright with that. I thought the Supremacy Clause would be more narrow (ie., only apply to laws)

I can't remember the question and I always tear them out of my book after I'm done with them (makes it easier to grade them). Is this a federal statute conflicting with a state statute?


[+] Spoiler
There's a bid for a federal contract that calls for manufacturing of machines that meet certain requirements. State statute requires that those same machines be manufactured to meet more stringent requirements. Answer says that the Supremacy Clause controls and contractor would be able to defend making a deal with the feds.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:24 pm

I can't seem to pull together even a semi decent con law essay. Jesus take the wheel.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I can't seem to pull together even a semi decent con law essay. Jesus take the wheel.


What areas are throwing you off? FWIW, "predictions" of the MEE this July seem to have con law being a 'maybe' lol

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Killingly » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I can't seem to pull together even a semi decent con law essay. Jesus take the wheel.


What areas are throwing you off? FWIW, "predictions" of the MEE this July seem to have con law being a 'maybe' lol


What are the predictions?

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

I don't remember the question, but that sounds right.


As long as that sounds right to someone else, I'm alright with that. I thought the Supremacy Clause would be more narrow (ie., only apply to laws)


Intergovernmental immunity is derived from the Supremacy Clause

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Killingly wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I can't seem to pull together even a semi decent con law essay. Jesus take the wheel.


What areas are throwing you off? FWIW, "predictions" of the MEE this July seem to have con law being a 'maybe' lol


What are the predictions?


RaleighStClair wrote:Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but my school's bar prep adviser person sent out her predictions for MEE subjects this year. She was almost 100% accurate last year:

These are merely predictions (guesses) and please take them as such. You should study and prepare for every MEE subject just in case they appear on one of the essays. But, during your final study days (hours), you should focus your MEE practice and studying on Corporations (LLC/Pship), Evidence, Trusts, Criminal Procedure, Civil Procedure (has been tested forever, but could be left off this summer now that Civ Pro is on the MBE), Conflicts/Family Law (together), and maybe Conlaw (not equal protection or takings) or Contracts. Based on past frequency, these subjects, or a combination thereof, will likely appear on the MEE this summer.

Especially interesting because they are almost exactly the same predictions as this guy's:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=248341

Edit: This is mainly relevant only to UBE states, less so for states that use some MEE questions, and obviously irrelevant for CA, TX, NY, etc.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
[+] Spoiler
There's a bid for a federal contract that calls for manufacturing of machines that meet certain requirements. State statute requires that those same machines be manufactured to meet more stringent requirements. Answer says that the Supremacy Clause controls and contractor would be able to defend making a deal with the feds.

Oh yeah. I remember missing that one. I'm not sure I can explain it either.

Outis Onoma
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Outis Onoma » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:32 pm

When doing timed essays, is anyone else not spending anywhere close to 30 minutes per essay? My answers aren't horribly off from the models, but I'm not getting every nuanced element. I'm doing a furious 15-20 minutes of writing per essay, then editing them.
Last edited by Outis Onoma on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:32 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:MPQ Set 6 question:

[+] Spoiler
Wait, am I getting this right: if a state statute conflicts with federal contract requirements, the federal contract prevails because of the Supremacy Clause? Q11

I don't remember the question, but that sounds right.


As long as that sounds right to someone else, I'm alright with that. I thought the Supremacy Clause would be more narrow (ie., only apply to laws)


Intergovernmental immunity is derived from the Supremacy Clause


I'm gonna take this and run with it

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:When doing timed essays, is anyone else not spending anywhere close to 30 minutes per essay? My answers aren't horribly off from the models, but I'm not getting every nuanced element. I'm doing a furious 15-20 minutes per essay, then editing them.


Yea, once I noticed it took me nowhere near 30 minutes I just started outlining essays and saving my time.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:When doing timed essays, is anyone else not spending anywhere close to 30 minutes per essay? My answers aren't horribly off from the models, but I'm not getting every nuanced element. I'm doing a furious 15-20 minutes per essay, then editing them.


Yea, once I noticed it took me nowhere near 30 minutes I just started outlining essays and saving my time.

I usually start writing it out and then start using shorthand along the way and am ready to look at the answer in 15-20 minutes. On the real thing I'm gonna make sure to barf out every piece of shit I can think of.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:When doing timed essays, is anyone else not spending anywhere close to 30 minutes per essay? My answers aren't horribly off from the models, but I'm not getting every nuanced element. I'm doing a furious 15-20 minutes per essay, then editing them.


Yea, once I noticed it took me nowhere near 30 minutes I just started outlining essays and saving my time.

I usually start writing it out and then start using shorthand along the way and am ready to look at the answer in 15-20 minutes. On the real thing I'm gonna make sure to barf out every piece of shit I can think of.


OFS. Relevant or not, we've got 3 hours there (in UBE state, sorry bro, I know you're in CA) and nowhere else to be. Whoever is grading my exam should pass me just for effort.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests