BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

kyle010723

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:25 am

And to think we all used to have some kind of life before this whole bar ordeal

rhs100

Postby rhs100 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:29 am

redsox550 wrote:so whats the deal with typos in the essay?

How well written is the essay supposed to be?

is thsi sentnce acceptable or am i gonna lose a ton of points if i write like this?

Veyr good question - I keep wondeing it myself because I always want to go back to correct myself and sometimes I'm liek whatever they know what i mean. rite?? right???

xfer2013

Postby xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31 am

rhs100 wrote:

is thsi sentnce acceptable or am i gonna lose a ton of points if i write like this?

Veyr good question - I keep wondeing it myself because I always want to go back to correct myself and sometimes I'm liek whatever they know what i mean. rite?? right???

Yeah, I have wondered the same. My typing really goes to shit toward the end of each question.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:33 am

Confession: I don't know jack shit about Secured Transactions.

xfer2013

Postby xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:35 am

kykiske wrote:Confession: I don't know jack shit about Secured Transactions.

The good news is there's not that much to know. In NY it's a 17 page handout. You can learn it before noon if you start now... seriously.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:36 am

rhs100 wrote:

Rule I saw: "Professional"

Typos are understandable given the circumstances but avoid so many that it seems unprofessional or hard to read.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:36 am

i dont know jack about corporations. or essay writing., or the the finer points of nyp. Reading my smartbar outline is enough to put me to sleep.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:39 am

Have any NYers found a good way to memorize the list of what is/is not included in the net augmented estate for a spouse's elective share. For some reason I feel strongly about needing to know this (weird sixth sense about the exam or paranoia? I don't know) but I am seriously struggling to remember the list and the mnemonic is not at all helpful to me.

xfer2013

Postby xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:46 am

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:Have any NYers found a good way to memorize the list of what is/is not included in the net augmented estate for a spouse's elective share. For some reason I feel strongly about needing to know this (weird sixth sense about the exam or paranoia? I don't know) but I am seriously struggling to remember the list and the mnemonic is not at all helpful to me.

I just think about it like this:

1) 92,500 exempt property, THEN
2) elective share = 50k or 1/3 of net probate estate plus TSLEGUP.

I kind of agree that the TSLEGUP thing isn't all that helpful. But you'll know the testamentary substitutes when you see them as long as you keep in mind the purpose of the elective share--where the deceased spouse is bleeding away assets prior to death in such a way as to disinherit the spouse, that money generally comes back in. Where you see that in the fact pattern, try to reverse engineer it back into the TSLEGUP thing, and it will probably come into the net augmented estate.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 am

Or commercial paper, or family law, or wills, or trust... I'm doomed

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 am

kyle010723 wrote:

What is "commercial paper"?

xfer2013

Postby xfer2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:52 am

kykiske wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

What is "commercial paper"?

Yeah, someone please tell me commercial paper is not on the NY bar...

rhs100

Postby rhs100 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:58 am

victortsoi wrote:i dont know jack about corporations. or essay writing., or the the finer points of nyp. Reading my smartbar outline is enough to put me to sleep.

At this point my backup plan is also to just do the smartbar outline since no time left to do proper review - only fear is that there are so many topics that have showed up only once, so that means topics that have not shown up ever are all fair game.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Just remember if your problem area is commercial paper/secured transactions/etc. there are people out there who are in the same position but with torts and criminal law.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:04 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Just remember if your problem area is commercial paper/secured transactions/etc. there are people out there who are in the same position but with torts and criminal law.

How..?

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:07 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Just remember if your problem area is commercial paper/secured transactions/etc. there are people out there who are in the same position but with torts and criminal law.

Mine will be all of the above haha.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:21 pm

I'm putting together a list of topics to review on Monday morning before I drive to my hotel (kind of a hail mary outline).

So far I've got products liability, hearsay exceptions, 1st Amendment, and K remedies. What are some other big ticket items?

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:23 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

How..?

Honestly, I don't know how but based on the failing essays I've read there are people out there who can't answer: "What are the elements of self-defense and will defendant meet them?" And by "can't answer" I mean they don't even give a test. Or--on a dormant commerce clause question answer all 3 questions using the undue burden test regardless of whether the issue was a non-discriminatory tax or discriminatory statute and used 1/3 of the word limit. Whether it is a lack of knowledge or poor test taking those people exist. Just remain calm and answer the question asked in a clear and confident manner.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:26 pm

rhs100 wrote:
victortsoi wrote:i dont know jack about corporations. or essay writing., or the the finer points of nyp. Reading my smartbar outline is enough to put me to sleep.

At this point my backup plan is also to just do the smartbar outline since no time left to do proper review - only fear is that there are so many topics that have showed up only once, so that means topics that have not shown up ever are all fair game.

yes exactly. Well, at least for the major topics, the smartbar outlines are as good if not better than the CMR (contracts, torts, crim). But yeah, maybe looking over the "mini review" as well is tcr.

I hope someone was right about people not knowing torts lol

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:31 pm

same

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

How..?

Honestly, I don't know how but based on the failing essays I've read there are people out there who can't answer: "What are the elements of self-defense and will defendant meet them?" And by "can't answer" I mean they don't even give a test. Or--on a dormant commerce clause question answer all 3 questions using the undue burden test regardless of whether the issue was a non-discriminatory tax or discriminatory statute and used 1/3 of the word limit. Whether it is a lack of knowledge or poor test taking those people exist. Just remain calm and answer the question asked in a clear and confident manner.

If you're telling me that accidentally using the undue burden balancing test for discriminatory and non-discriminatory state laws means I'll fail an essay, I might fail an essay.

felonious monk

Postby felonious monk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:53 pm

Hey guys--

I'm wondering if the MPT is worth practicing or winging - it seems like what I do in my day job (i'm a 'foreigner') but wondering if there's a snag or something I should know - or if it is really just a case of reviewing the material and presenting it in a intelligible format to the grader...

cheers!
fm

felonious monk

Postby felonious monk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:54 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

How..?

If you're telling me that accidentally using the undue burden balancing test for discriminatory and non-discriminatory state laws means I'll fail an essay, I might fail an essay.

as a foreigner - con law is a complete mystery to me. I have enough to get a 50% on the MBE but if it's an essay, i'm shited. So at least take solace in that.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm

musicfor18 wrote:If you're telling me that accidentally using the undue burden balancing test for discriminatory and non-discriminatory state laws means I'll fail an essay, I might fail an essay.

+1

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:00 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

How..?

It was failing because they used the wrong test and answered the questions in 3 sentences. Another paper failed by 0.5 points (3.5/7) and it had a decent amount of analysis but used the wrong test and was not organized at all.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”