BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

victortsoi

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby victortsoi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:47 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Only if that Armadillo is from Texas!

with a spycam in sharon stone's shower.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:50 pm

victortsoi wrote:with a spycam in sharon stone's shower.

Hahaha, oh Epstein.

gretchenweiners

Postby gretchenweiners » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:53 pm

question: is the MBE scaled nationally? or does each state apply its own scale just looking at the examinees in its state?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:00 pm

gretchenweiners wrote:question: is the MBE scaled nationally? or does each state apply its own scale just looking at the examinees in its state?

Nationally, hence it is one giant blackbox that only NCBE knows how to scale.

vulaw

Postby vulaw » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:02 pm

Do I just know nothing and am screwed, or was the first half of Barbri's Half-Day MBE a lot harder than the Mixed Question Sets?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:05 pm

vulaw wrote:Do I just know nothing and am screwed, or was the first half of Barbri's Half-Day MBE a lot harder than the Mixed Question Sets?

Half-Day is harder.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Does the evidence rule where you can state that the victim was the first aggressor only apply in homicide cases, or battery cases as well>

I think character evidence can be introduced by defendant in any criminal case. Doesn't the homicide case-only rule apply to dying declarations?

Can someone else provide input.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:Does the evidence rule where you can state that the victim was the first aggressor only apply in homicide cases, or battery cases as well>

I think character evidence can be introduced by defendant in any criminal case. Doesn't the homicide case-only rule apply to dying declarations?

I would think you can use it in any case if it is relevant (and not otherwise excluded), especially in self-defense, in either civil or criminal.

jacksonmead

Postby jacksonmead » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Wow, just now getting to the Commercial Paper essays after only reviewing the lecture. I could write maybe 25 words of nonsense in response to these. Almost every concept in the model answer is unaddressed by lecture. ugh.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:

The defendant can introduce evidence that the victim was the first aggressor. The only homicide/self-defense rule I remember is:

If a D in a criminal case claims self defense, the introduction of any evidence that V was the first aggressor, like eyewitness testimony, allows the prosecution to bring in evidence that V had a character for peacefulness. In a non-homicide case prosecution can only introduce V's good character for peacefulness when D actually impeaches that characteristic.

xfer2013

Postby xfer2013 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Anyone take that 21 question MBE sample set on the NCBE site? Thought it was worth doing because of all the talk about Barbri questions being different from the real ones.

Got 81% correct, about 10% better than my average for barbri questions...

So maybe there is something to the barbri questions being harder? Anyone else do this?

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm

xfer2013 wrote:Anyone take that 21 question MBE sample set on the NCBE site? Thought it was worth doing because of all the talk about Barbri questions being different from the real ones.

So maybe there is something to the barbri questions being harder? Anyone else do this?

I don't recall what I got on the set but I know it was also a fair deal higher than what I average on BarBri. There just may be something to this altitude training BarBri has us doing but unfortunately there is no way for us to find out until we receive our PASSING scores :shock:

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 pm

xfer2013 wrote:Anyone take that 21 question MBE sample set on the NCBE site? Thought it was worth doing because of all the talk about Barbri questions being different from the real ones.

Is it free?

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:06 pm

kykiske wrote:

Is it free?

Yea

https://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=% ... ument%2F17

here's 10 sample civ pro questions too: https://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=% ... ument%2F16

941law

Postby 941law » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Even if I take a break from studying and have my night free, I still feel anti-social. These people generally know I need to be studying and want to know how it's going. I can't even relax lol. I'm an animal! (Kramer voice)

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:19 pm

941law wrote:Even if I take a break from studying and have my night free, I still feel anti-social. These people generally know I need to be studying and want to know how it's going. I can't even relax lol. I'm an animal! (Kramer voice)

Yeah, I feel like even if I want to be social at all, I've turned into and antisocial dickhead who doesn't care what other people are saying.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kykiske wrote:

Is it free?

Yea

https://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=% ... ument%2F17

here's 10 sample civ pro questions too: https://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=% ... ument%2F16

i dont know, my friend and i who both take barbri took the 21 question set and bombed it. (around 55%). Found them trickier than adaptibar by far. The civ pro about the same as barbri, at least I got 7/10.
Last edited by victortsoi on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:

I don't recall what I got on the set but I know it was also a fair deal higher than what I average on BarBri. There just may be something to this altitude training BarBri has us doing but unfortunately there is no way for us to find out until we receive our PASSING scores :shock:

Hmm, got 67%. That's around my average. Not bad, I guess.

somedude

Postby somedude » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:26 pm

FWIW: I just did it and I got 15/21, 71 %. That's worse than I did on Refresher and barely better than the Sim MBE. I also only got 6/10 on the Civ Pro thing.

vulaw

Postby vulaw » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:29 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
vulaw wrote:Do I just know nothing and am screwed, or was the first half of Barbri's Half-Day MBE a lot harder than the Mixed Question Sets?

Half-Day is harder.

Yeah, I feel like a train hit me. I got a 68 but, shit, that was miserable.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Ok probably basic question about the essays, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

For multiple-part questions drawing from a similar prompt, and the same analysis or rule is applicable to more than one part, can we reference to what we've already written above?

So, for example, if we have a two-part torts question, and in part (a) you analyze the elements of negligence (duty, breach, causation, damages) and how they apply to the facts, do you need to go through that same analysis again in part (b) or can you simply say "as discussed above in part (a), X is probably negligent"?

Learned Throw Hands

Postby Learned Throw Hands » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:39 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Ok probably basic question about the essays, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

For multiple-part questions drawing from a similar prompt, and the same analysis or rule is applicable to more than one part, can we reference to what we've already written above?

So, for example, if we have a two-part torts question, and in part (a) you analyze the elements of negligence (duty, breach, causation, damages) and how they apply to the facts, do you need to go through that same analysis again in part (b) or can you simply say "as discussed above in part (a), X is probably negligent"?

The sample answers do it all the time.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:40 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Ok probably basic question about the essays, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

Yes, it's definitely okay to do this.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:42 pm

somedude wrote:

FWIW: I just did it and I got 15/21, 71 %. That's worse than I did on Refresher and barely better than the Sim MBE. I also only got 6/10 on the Civ Pro thing.

There two questions on there that I was "WTF" when I read the answer. First was Q18. IT was about a service (construction) contract modification being valid without consideration because it was "fair and equitable."

Second was Q4, where the correct answer was the landowner was not liable for his neighbor's injuries--caused by trained attack dogs--because the neighbor knew of the dog's dangerous propensities. I thought landowners owed no duty of care at all to undiscovered trespassers. Nothing in the facts state that the landowner knew anything about the neighbor frequently walking past his home, nor did they mention that the landowner knew that the neighbor had buried a shovel on the landowner's land.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:44 pm

kykiske wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Hmm, got 67%. That's around my average. Not bad, I guess.

I just tried it. 15/21 which is slightly below my Barbri average. I mean, fair housing act?? Withdrawal of complaint?! Huh?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”