BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

victortsoi

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby victortsoi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:21 pm

i have to say that i can see why some people are a little miffed by barbri questions if adaptibar questions are accurate of whats on the test. On the one hand, yes, they are easier, but on the other you have to practice with them a little to get the sense of how they're written, etc...I'm not 100% sure barbri questions prepare you THAT well for the mbe, besides the fact that I can confirm about a third to half of the questions are actually the same as in adaptibar (real questions).

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:31 pm

Just did the MBE refresher. 55/100 FML.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:51 pm

old_soul wrote:Just did the MBE refresher. 55/100 FML.

You're not far off from the expected average of 57/100.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

For those of us that need a confidence boost, do the Mix Sets, I find that I am doing significantly better on them than anything else I've done with Barbri thus far.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:15 pm

victortsoi wrote:i have to say that i can see why some people are a little miffed by barbri questions if adaptibar questions are accurate of whats on the test. On the one hand, yes, they are easier, but on the other you have to practice with them a little to get the sense of how they're written, etc...I'm not 100% sure barbri questions prepare you THAT well for the mbe, besides the fact that I can confirm about a third to half of the questions are actually the same as in adaptibar (real questions).

Well this scares me a bit. I haven't done anything but barbri.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:16 pm

3|ink wrote:
victortsoi wrote:i have to say that i can see why some people are a little miffed by barbri questions if adaptibar questions are accurate of whats on the test. On the one hand, yes, they are easier, but on the other you have to practice with them a little to get the sense of how they're written, etc...I'm not 100% sure barbri questions prepare you THAT well for the mbe, besides the fact that I can confirm about a third to half of the questions are actually the same as in adaptibar (real questions).

It's a weird feeling. But even if you have not done any non-Barbri questions, you'll most likely score better than you expected.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:21 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
shecallingme wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:This will not likely be tested, but how can a condo owner ever convey a marketable title given all the encumbrances imposed by the HOA?

If the encumbrances are disclosed then there is no issue. Marketable title is an issue for undisclosed encumbrances.

Is this right? I thought that was only for known easements. Wouldn't the presence of, say, a judicial lien on the property, even if disclosed, render title unmarketable?

Easements, mortgages, etc. are all fine so long as they're disclosed. As long as the buyer knows (s)he's taking the property subject to the encumbrance, it's all good.

Or just use a quitclaim deed and anything goes.

What about Adverse Possession? If part of the property was obtained via AP, doesn't that always render title unmarketable regardless of disclosure (assuming they didn't bring an action to quiet title)?

rhs100

Postby rhs100 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Question about reading the call of the question - when the call is like "will the P prevail" or "should the motion be denied" or something vague like that - do you then read a little bit more, maybe the line before that or something? because otherwise it's not helpful at all for anything. How much do you read and how do you decide - because sometimes the line before that can be really long so I tend to forget what I read by the time I finish reading the prompt.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:33 pm

rhs100 wrote:Question about reading the call of the question - when the call is like "will the P prevail" or "should the motion be denied" or something vague like that - do you then read a little bit more, maybe the line before that or something? because otherwise it's not helpful at all for anything. How much do you read and how do you decide - because sometimes the line before that can be really long so I tend to forget what I read by the time I finish reading the prompt.

Not me. But it's probably just a personal preference. I find that identifying the subject matter is rarely if ever a problem.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:37 pm

rhs100 wrote:Question about reading the call of the question - when the call is like "will the P prevail" or "should the motion be denied" or something vague like that - do you then read a little bit more, maybe the line before that or something? because otherwise it's not helpful at all for anything. How much do you read and how do you decide - because sometimes the line before that can be really long so I tend to forget what I read by the time I finish reading the prompt.

They recommend quickly skimming the answer choices if the call doesn't make the question type clear.

corgibutts18

Postby corgibutts18 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:46 pm

3|ink wrote:

Me too! Ah! I put all of my faith in Barbri...

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:08 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
shecallingme wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:This will not likely be tested, but how can a condo owner ever convey a marketable title given all the encumbrances imposed by the HOA?

If the encumbrances are disclosed then there is no issue. Marketable title is an issue for undisclosed encumbrances.

Is this right? I thought that was only for known easements. Wouldn't the presence of, say, a judicial lien on the property, even if disclosed, render title unmarketable?

Easements, mortgages, etc. are all fine so long as they're disclosed. As long as the buyer knows (s)he's taking the property subject to the encumbrance, it's all good.

What about Adverse Possession? If part of the property was obtained via AP, doesn't that always render title unmarketable regardless of disclosure (assuming they didn't bring an action to quiet title)?

In that case, they would not have marketable title and would need to quiet title first. Not sure what happens if you adversely possess, don't quiet title, and sell with a quitclaim deed tho...

jwe-houston

Postby jwe-houston » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:08 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
shecallingme wrote:

AP is always unmarketable. I think the essence of the initial question is the Covenant Against Encumbrances. It warrants against encumbrances not listed in the deed, not that there *are no* encumbrances. IRL, a title search is done, listing the encumbrances/zoning restrictions, and the deed is subject to those exceptions to marketable title. Also, IRL, If the survey (in TX) is more than 10 years old, any lender will require a survey to be done, showing the land described in the deed/sale contract, and looking for adverse possession. That also happens to be one of the statutory SoL for AP.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:11 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:In that case, they would not have marketable title and would need to quiet title first. Not sure what happens if you adversely possess, don't quiet title, and sell with a quitclaim deed tho...

Buyer's only recourse generally are the guarantees in the conveying instrument (deed). However, I think buyer might be able to bring a rescission action in equity if the seller defrauded. But I think that would be unsuccessful because buyer did not justifiably rely; could have done a title search.
Last edited by 3|ink on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:11 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
3|ink wrote:

It's a weird feeling. But even if you have not done any non-Barbri questions, you'll most likely score better than you expected.

+1

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Speaking to the Adaptibar issue, based on the questions I have seen, you will come across property questions that are like 3-5 paragraphs long. They have a bunch of fluff and if you dont know what you are looking for, they slow down the average test taker.

Barbri on the other hand, crams all that confusing information into like 1 or 2 paragraphs, and halfway through some of those K/prop questions you have 50 different transactions and dont know which way is up. Adaptibar is not on that level, but does require a quicker read and pick.

Adaptibar (real questions) are more fair in terms of narrowing down answer choices.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:13 pm

old_soul wrote:Just did the MBE refresher. 55/100 FML.

This is perfectly fine, the goal is 57. Those questions are very hard. If you do median on the MBE you fuck up a lot on the essays and still pass.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:14 pm

72/100 on Emanuel's AM. If that's representative of the real thing (although I'm not sure how it can be b/c no civ pro questions) I'm okay with that... I think.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:72/100 on Emanuel's AM. If that's representative of the real thing (although I'm not sure how it can be b/c no civ pro questions) I'm okay with that... I think.

Good job dood. You don't need to be "thinking" that is a good score on the real deal. That'll put you near autopass, and if not quite there, with a huge cushion to really bomb every single essay and PT.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:72/100 on Emanuel's AM. If that's representative of the real thing (although I'm not sure how it can be b/c no civ pro questions) I'm okay with that... I think.

I assume it's more representative than Barbri (but then again, a lot of ppl seem to say the 2014 MBE was much harder than years past). 72/100 is a solid score. Throw on another 10 points b/c of scaling and you seem to be in good shape.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Kage3212 wrote:

Good job dood. You don't need to be "thinking" that is a good score on the real deal. That'll put you near autopass, and if not quite there, with a huge cushion to really bomb every single essay and PT.

I appreciate the encouragement

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:22 pm

So at this point of Bar prep, I feel like I've done everything I could as to MBE, but have absolutely no clue on what to do as to essays. Please just give me lots of essays on MBE subjects to make up for completely bombing essays on family/secured transaction/commercial paper/will & trust...

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:22 pm

CA Bar takers, is this at all accurate?: https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade

It's supposed to be a CA Bar calculator based upon raw scores. I'm basically going off of this and thinking if I have a passing score in CA then I'm solid in AZ (50% MBE)

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:CA Bar takers, is this at all accurate?: https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade

It's supposed to be a CA Bar calculator based upon raw scores. I'm basically going off of this and thinking if I have a passing score in CA then I'm solid in AZ (50% MBE)

My friends seem to think it's accurate enough.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:26 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:CA Bar takers, is this at all accurate?: https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade

My friends seem to think it's accurate enough.

Works for me lol

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”