BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby jamescastle » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Kage3212 wrote:To add a more light-hearted nature to the thread, what are everyone's plans after the bar?

Girlfriend and I are heading to South Beach two days after the exam for 2 nights, followed by a 4 day Caribbean cruise, then 2 more days in South Beach. This will actually be my first "major" vacation like trip so I am absolutely stoked. Curious to hear what others have planned.

Have made a list with the girlfriend of stuff we want to do in August (starting a movie club for us to each pick something each week based on a theme, doing some swimming stuff, starting a TV series that we both want to see, etc.).
Also have plans to see a baseball game with family later in the month.

Oh, and that other thing called applying for jobs since I have nothing lined up.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby jamescastle » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Finally got my trusts/wills/estate administration notes all outlined.
Now time to get to work on some of these essays.
Guardianship, federal estate and gift tax, and other taxation stuff: Go away who cares.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 pm

jamescastle wrote:Finally got my trusts/wills/estate administration notes all outlined.
Now time to get to work on some of these essays.
Guardianship, federal estate and gift tax, and other taxation stuff: Go away who cares.


Guardianship isn't hard -- very BS-able. There's a 50-50 chance it will be on there. But even if you blow it off, you'll be fine. I don't plan on studying estate and gift tax beyond a cursory glance. Still don't know any commercial paper.

User avatar
N.P.H.
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby N.P.H. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Question about #37 on the refresher:
Month to month is implied because rent is payable monthly (though they had been there was for 20+years). I remember that I kept getting questions like this wrong on practice questions on Studysmart. Is it that year-to-year tenancies are implied when the lease is longer than 2 years in *commercial* leases only?

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:06 pm

N.P.H. wrote:Question about #37 on the refresher:
Month to month is implied because rent is payable monthly (though they had been there was for 20+years). I remember that I kept getting questions like this wrong on practice questions on Studysmart. Is it that year-to-year tenancies are implied when the lease is longer than 2 years in *commercial* leases only?


What was the original lease, residential or commercial?

Pretty sure of the following:

residential --> new lease for holder over is month-to-month (regardless of length of previous lease)

commercial --> new term (if previous term was over one year) is year-to-year

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:06 pm

N.P.H. wrote:Question about #37 on the refresher:
Month to month is implied because rent is payable monthly (though they had been there was for 20+years). I remember that I kept getting questions like this wrong on practice questions on Studysmart. Is it that year-to-year tenancies are implied when the lease is longer than 2 years in *commercial* leases only?


Longer than a year:

Residential -- Holdover is held to month-to-month

Commercial -- Holdover is held to year-to-year

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Ugh. I have wasted so much time today trying to figure out the little nuances of commercial paper.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby jamescastle » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:15 pm

Neff wrote:
jamescastle wrote:Finally got my trusts/wills/estate administration notes all outlined.
Now time to get to work on some of these essays.
Guardianship, federal estate and gift tax, and other taxation stuff: Go away who cares.


Guardianship isn't hard -- very BS-able. There's a 50-50 chance it will be on there. But even if you blow it off, you'll be fine. I don't plan on studying estate and gift tax beyond a cursory glance. Still don't know any commercial paper.

From discussions and predictions, I think it's actually much less than 50-50 that guardianship is selected over trusts.
But yeah, definitely gonna do a cursory glance some point in the next week over guardianship, tax stuff, and bankruptcy. But probably not gonna do any work on them outside of maybe read one model answer in each or something.

User avatar
LSL
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby LSL » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Hey folks--can I just ask quick how you think I point breakdown goes for the essays? Just bare bones, would we get something like:

1-2 points for Conclusion/Issue; 1 point for Rule; 7 points for analysis? (god I hope not this much)

Trying to gather what my space for B.S.-ing is.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 pm

jamescastle wrote:
Neff wrote:
jamescastle wrote:Finally got my trusts/wills/estate administration notes all outlined.
Now time to get to work on some of these essays.
Guardianship, federal estate and gift tax, and other taxation stuff: Go away who cares.


Guardianship isn't hard -- very BS-able. There's a 50-50 chance it will be on there. But even if you blow it off, you'll be fine. I don't plan on studying estate and gift tax beyond a cursory glance. Still don't know any commercial paper.

From discussions and predictions, I think it's actually much less than 50-50 that guardianship is selected over trusts.
But yeah, definitely gonna do a cursory glance some point in the next week over guardianship, tax stuff, and bankruptcy. But probably not gonna do any work on them outside of maybe read one model answer in each or something.


Yeah. Last one was guardianship and this one is probably going to be trusts. Also, you probably already know but federal income tax hasn't been tested in 15 years so wouldn't bother with that at all besides knowing that corporations get double taxation and partnerships get pass through. And bankruptcy will be like a negligible half a question at most.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:38 pm

LSL wrote:Hey folks--can I just ask quick how you think I point breakdown goes for the essays? Just bare bones, would we get something like:

1-2 points for Conclusion/Issue; 1 point for Rule; 7 points for analysis? (god I hope not this much)

Trying to gather what my space for B.S.-ing is.


Every state is different, IL is only out of 5

User avatar
LSL
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby LSL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:03 am

Gotcha. Think I figured it out, thanks.

corgibutts18
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby corgibutts18 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:06 am

jamescastle wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:To add a more light-hearted nature to the thread, what are everyone's plans after the bar?

Girlfriend and I are heading to South Beach two days after the exam for 2 nights, followed by a 4 day Caribbean cruise, then 2 more days in South Beach. This will actually be my first "major" vacation like trip so I am absolutely stoked. Curious to hear what others have planned.

Have made a list with the girlfriend of stuff we want to do in August (starting a movie club for us to each pick something each week based on a theme, doing some swimming stuff, starting a TV series that we both want to see, etc.).
Also have plans to see a baseball game with family later in the month.

Oh, and that other thing called applying for jobs since I have nothing lined up.



My boyfriend and I are living/studying together and are both taking the Bar. Because our relationship survived through this time, we're going to Maui for 10 days. Hallelujah.

gobias_inc
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gobias_inc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:10 am

Kage3212 wrote:To add a more light-hearted nature to the thread, what are everyone's plans after the bar?

Girlfriend and I are heading to South Beach two days after the exam for 2 nights, followed by a 4 day Caribbean cruise, then 2 more days in South Beach. This will actually be my first "major" vacation like trip so I am absolutely stoked. Curious to hear what others have planned.


I'm going to the bar. And then Asia for a month. I don't know if I'm more excited for the bar or for Asia. That "done with the Bar" beer is gonna taste pretty great.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:13 am

I just read through Oregon's bar exam FAQs for the thousandth time and realized that they haven't even bothered to update it to include CivPro as a MBE subject. This is, seriously, the least helpful and worst-organized document ever written and whoever is responsible should be shot.

Anyway, I've been ignoring essay subjects for the most part while focusing on MBE, except I have watched 4 out of 10 of the essay/state subject lectures (and absorbed literally nothing. I could not tell you a single Oregon difference in CivPro or Evidence or Ethics right now). And my MBE practice scores are not high enough yet to blow off the essays. :-/

The day after the exam, I'm sleeping in, having lunch with a friend, and packing for camping. Next day, I leave for a weekend of camping (with much alcohol) in the Mt. Hood National Forest with friends I play hockey with. The 2nd week in August, I'm going to Hawaii for 6 days with a BFF. And IF I CAN PASS THIS FUCKING TEST, I have a school-funded fellowship to work as a first-year DA in Portland starting basically as soon as scores come out (mid-Sept).

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:36 am

Kage3212 wrote:To add a more light-hearted nature to the thread, what are everyone's plans after the bar?

Girlfriend and I are heading to South Beach two days after the exam for 2 nights, followed by a 4 day Caribbean cruise, then 2 more days in South Beach. This will actually be my first "major" vacation like trip so I am absolutely stoked. Curious to hear what others have planned.


Around the world in 40 days, flying east. Texas, London, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cali, Texas.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:37 am

Neff wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:To add a more light-hearted nature to the thread, what are everyone's plans after the bar?

Girlfriend and I are heading to South Beach two days after the exam for 2 nights, followed by a 4 day Caribbean cruise, then 2 more days in South Beach. This will actually be my first "major" vacation like trip so I am absolutely stoked. Curious to hear what others have planned.


Around the world in 40 days, flying east. Texas, London, Paris, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cali, Texas.


Wow, that's really cool!

I'm gonna hit up Tahiti then probably California (couple-ish weeks total)

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:41 am

Damn. Sounds like some sweet plans.

I'm going to Europe with non-law school friends (Sweden, Germany and Holland). Pretty stoked, but to be honest, chilling on a beach in Hawaii/Mexico sounds more appropriate given how burnt out I am.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:45 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Damn. Sounds like some sweet plans.

I'm going to Europe with non-law school friends (Sweden, Germany and Holland). Pretty stoked, but to be honest, chilling on a beach in Hawaii/Mexico sounds more appropriate given how burnt out I am.

Neither I nor my BFF are beach-chilling types. :P So far there are plans for shark cage dive, paddleboarding, surfing, a luau, hiking, the zoo, Pearl Harbor, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, and whale-watching. We're gonna go hard. (And not in the drinking sense, because she's 2 mo pregnant.)

I will, however, be spending the camping weekend in a hammock by a creek with a neverending drink in my hand. That's my burnout recovery.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:47 am

Cali is always TCR. The natural beauty of a French Riviera, the glamor of a Paris, the cuisine of a Tokyo, the history/broke-ness of an Athens (okay maybe not), for a fraction of the price.
Last edited by Neff on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

gobias_inc
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gobias_inc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 am

Neff wrote:Cali is always TCR. The natural beauty of a French Riviera, the glamor of a Paris, the cuisine of a Tokyo, the history/broke-ness of an Athens (okay maybe not), for a fraction of the price.


California is many, many things, and I really like it, but "cheap" has never been an adjective I've applied to it.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:51 am

gobias_inc wrote:
Neff wrote:Cali is always TCR. The natural beauty of a French Riviera, the glamor of a Paris, the cuisine of a Tokyo, the history/broke-ness of an Athens (okay maybe not), for a fraction of the price.


California is many, many things, and I really like it, but "cheap" has never been an adjective I've applied to it.


Haha, no. But cheaper than going abroad. Plus, motels in Compton for $42 a night.

gobias_inc
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:36 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gobias_inc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:52 am

Neff wrote:
gobias_inc wrote:
Neff wrote:Cali is always TCR. The natural beauty of a French Riviera, the glamor of a Paris, the cuisine of a Tokyo, the history/broke-ness of an Athens (okay maybe not), for a fraction of the price.


California is many, many things, and I really like it, but "cheap" has never been an adjective I've applied to it.


Haha, no. But cheaper than going abroad. Plus, motels in Compton for $42 a night.


I worked in Compton. I would not recommend staying in a hotel in Compton. (But DO go to Bludso's for some of the best barbecue you're ever likely to have)

Benjamin1987
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Benjamin1987 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:53 am

Advice: hitting about 85 to 90% of the MBE practice questions now, but the state essay I'm only at about 50 to 60%. Should I abandon the MBE and work exclusively on the state essays? I'm nervous I'm going to forget the MBE stuff in the next 7 days if I do.

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:54 am

Benjamin1987 wrote:Advice: hitting about 85 to 90% of the MBE practice questions now, but the state essay I'm only at about 50 to 60%. Should I abandon the MBE and work exclusively on the state essays? I'm nervous I'm going to forget the MBE stuff in the next 7 days if I do.


Yes, you're done with MBEs. Do state essays. Doubtful you'll forget anything that fast. 85-90% is godlike safe.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest