BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Poopface
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Poopface » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:05 pm

ohhoney wrote:I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Any idea which ones are more similar to the ones we'll see on the real MBE?! (please say barbri, please say barbri).


Not sure but i'm really worried about this too. Civ pro was my best subject on barbri (hitting like 80%+) so i have been kind of banking on doing well on civ pro on the actual exam, but the emanuel civ pro Qs were significantly harder so I am starting to get worried about what to expect on the actual test.

Anyone else have any clues as to what to expect re: civ pro difficulty on actual mbe?

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Just for clarification, the civ pro questions y'all are talking about are from the little notecard thing in the book, right? Because my book doesn't contain any other civ pro questions.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Poopface wrote:
ohhoney wrote:I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Any idea which ones are more similar to the ones we'll see on the real MBE?! (please say barbri, please say barbri).


Not sure but i'm really worried about this too. Civ pro was my best subject on barbri (hitting like 80%+) so i have been kind of banking on doing well on civ pro on the actual exam, but the emanuel civ pro Qs were significantly harder so I am starting to get worried about what to expect on the actual test.

Anyone else have any clues as to what to expect re: civ pro difficulty on actual mbe?


There is no telling. Like I've said. I dropped 20 percentage point when I did Emanual Civ Pro as compared to my MPQ Civ Pro average, whereas I got a perfect 10/10 on the example questions on NCBE. Although people said the examples on NCBE are generally easier than the real thing thus not representative, it will be impossible to tell since the real civ pro had only been administered once this Feb.

Attachment?! Barbri didn't even talk about attachment in civ pro lectures...

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Just for clarification, the civ pro questions y'all are talking about are from the little notecard thing in the book, right? Because my book doesn't contain any other civ pro questions.


Yes, you can redeem that notecard for 50ish civ pro questions on the website.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:14 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Just for clarification, the civ pro questions y'all are talking about are from the little notecard thing in the book, right? Because my book doesn't contain any other civ pro questions.


Yes, you can redeem that notecard for 50ish civ pro questions on the website.


Alright, phew. I was worried I might have snagged the wrong edition of the book.

Muchas gracias.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Alright, phew. I was worried I might have snagged the wrong edition of the book.

Muchas gracias.


Nah, the latest editions are 5th for the S&T and 2nd for the S&T2. Both were last edited in 2012, so they just include an access code for civ pro. Barbri and Emanul seem to focus on very different things when it comes to Civ Pro... so it might be good to practice both just in case. Since no one really has a clue what the real things will be.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:18 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Alright, phew. I was worried I might have snagged the wrong edition of the book.

Muchas gracias.


Nah, the latest editions are 5th for the S&T and 2nd for the S&T2. Both were last edited in 2012, so they just include an access code for civ pro. Barbri and Emanul seemed to focus on very different things when it comes to Civ Pro... so it might be good to practice both just in case. Since no one really have a clue what the real things will be.


Yea, I've gone through the set of 10 free ones that the NCBE offers and noticed a bit of differences already. The way they are worded is what strikes me as the most radical change. I'm so used to reading these BarBri questions that when I see some that you can tell have been written by a different person or under a different formula it's just odd.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Yea, I've gone through the set of 10 free ones that the NCBE offers and noticed a bit of differences already. The way they are worded is what strikes me as the most radical change. I'm so used to reading these BarBri questions that when I see some that you can tell have been written by a different person or under a different formula it's just odd.


That's why I picked up Emanual. My experience thus far has been that the different wordings made me felt quite uncomfortable while I was doing the questions and felt like I certainly failed the questions sets, but then always ended up doing much better as compared to what I've been scoring on Barbri (again, except Civ Pro).

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.


My game plan for next week.
Do one 50 questions mixset per day (they're not assigned by my PSP except 1 and 2). Go through a few none MEE topic essays per day. And squeeze in one odd ball MPT somewhere during the week. Do the half day MBE sometime during the weekend. And that's about it as far as what I "plan" to do.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:31 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.


I tend to think it's a good idea. I'm planning to at least go through (read, not outline/write out) all of the essay questions just so I have an idea of what to expect, how a good answer might be written out, and as a quick refresher as to certain areas of law (elements and what not).

I'm banking on the the thought that any essay we encounter will be like one of the ones in the book lol

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.


I tend to think it's a good idea. I'm planning to at least go through (read, not outline/write out) all of the essay questions just so I have an idea of what to expect, how a good answer might be written out, and as a quick refresher as to certain areas of law (elements and what not).

I'm banking on the the thought that any essay we encounter will be like one of the ones in the book lol


My plan as well, haha. I'm going to do MBE sets/review MBE subject essays during the week as well, but as far as the MEE - there's just too much f'ing material in trusts and corps to be able to internalize it. I'm going to bank on the ones in the book. :shock:

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:57 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.


My game plan for next week.
Do one 50 questions mixset per day (they're not assigned by my PSP except 1 and 2). Go through a few none MEE topic essays per day. And squeeze in one odd ball MPT somewhere during the week. Do the half day MBE sometime during the weekend. And that's about it as far as what I "plan" to do.


Sounds like a good plan. The MBE is obviously the most important thing. I really should do an MPT or two...

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:58 pm

We're all going to crush this exam.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?

Personally, I like to know what I'm likely looking for before I read cases. Otherwise I'm too prone to just move my eyes across the page without absorbing anything.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?

Personally, I like to know what I'm likely looking for before I read cases. Otherwise I'm too prone to just move my eyes across the page without absorbing anything.


I always read the instruction from the Partner first, then the library, then everything else. I think that's what Barbri said to do too.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:37 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf


Completely normal, just let it go. lol

ArmyOfficer
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby ArmyOfficer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf


What are the MBE 50 question mixed sets?

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf


Completely normal, just let it go. lol


Haha. I actually think it's a little ridiculous Barbri does this. If that was the last thing we looked at before going into the exam, we'd be looking for all these weird exceptions that will apply like 5 times out of 200. I think one of the answers on the Refresher was the Privileges/Immunities Clause of the 14th Amendment ... the one BarBri told us NEVER to pick.

You're good. Just stick with the mixed sets :arrow: emanuel q's :arrow: take test :arrow: profit. :D

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:49 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?

Personally, I like to know what I'm likely looking for before I read cases. Otherwise I'm too prone to just move my eyes across the page without absorbing anything.


I always read the instruction from the Partner first, then the library, then everything else. I think that's what Barbri said to do too.


Yea, I've been doing it BarBri's way too and it seems to work. Though, after reading what Rink says I might try a PT or two with a different approach to see if it may be worthwhile to switch it up.

The PT portion is just ridiculous, IMO. These sample answers are outrageous... no way I could write that in such a small amount of time.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Here's my "tip" for MPT if you will: Type down the factors and tests and rules as you read through the cases. So when you are coming back to actually write the memo, just cut and paste (I assume you can do this in examsoft too). Saved me some time from going back to find them again.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Ya, I have put these PTs off while studying and now feeling a little overwhlemed jumping into them. Just have to figure out the best way to approach and come up with a seeminlgy decent response. I can certainly see how people get overwhelmed by these if they are not very familiar with how they are to be completed.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm

To me, MPTs are a lot like the work I did for my summers, except someone has already done the research part for me. And I was good at my summer jobs.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NYC2012 and 6 guests