BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kmp127

New

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by kmp127 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:16 pm

BVest wrote:
kmp127 wrote:I thought as long as there were enough being issued for money, they could grab those.
As long as they're being issued for money, they can grab those. It's the ones issued for non-monetary purposes they can't grab. Assuming the stock provides preemptive rights, you will never be diluted by an issuance of stock for cash -- as long as you want to exercise and you have enough cash with which to buy stock.

In the question, 3000 new shares were issued for money. So you can grab your full 10% of those. 2000 new shares were issued for non-monetary consideration; you can't grab any of those (and that's what dilutes you).
perfection. u, sir, are brilliant.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Now that its crunch time, I'd suggest getting smartbarprep outlines that break down how popular the rule is on the ny exam. just saying....

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Anyone else completely lost on the property MPQs from today?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Anyone else completely lost on the property MPQs from today?
Yes. Particularly set 5. There was one question that asked about children of grandchildren's children (I think? Couldn't actually follow it) that gave me a headache. Too many heirs. Not enough coffee.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:04 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
Yes. Particularly set 5. There was one question that asked about children of grandchildren's children (I think? Couldn't actually follow it) that gave me a headache. Too many heirs. Not enough coffee.
Questions from MPQ5 for property were just exceedingly long and had way too many parties and way too many transactions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:18 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
I haven't done set 6 yet, set 5 frustrated me too much. That question in particular was laughably complex - I didn't even bother trying to work it out. Zero chance we'll ever get something that ridiculous on the actual MBE.

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Did MBE Refresher today. That is a confidence killer.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:53 pm

What are people in NY doing for Domestic Relations? The lecture was terrible I'm doing practice essays and they are testing on stuff that is not in my lecture notes and I do not even see in the CMR.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Nothing earth shattering, just kinda thought this math was funny:

If you start studying for the February bar exam in late August and do 3 hours after work, every single day, until the exam then you will be around 540 hours of studying. That's studying through the end of summer, football season, and the holidays. You will still be 30-40 hours short of what Barbri assigns in their program come test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What are people in NY doing for Domestic Relations? The lecture was terrible I'm doing practice essays and they are testing on stuff that is not in my lecture notes and I do not even see in the CMR.
I actually learn from the essays. After doing a few, you can see that there are some rules that they test more or less frequently. I just memorize them from the answer sheet. I don't know if it is a good approach, but DR lecture was really useless and oversimplified things for no reason.

Barbro

New

Post by Barbro » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:45 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I mark things "completed" without actually doing them all the time. Especially in the beginning, when it would tell me to review lecture notes for a few hours after the lecture. I'm basically at 75% tho (and I even did the AMP crap + submitted essays to be graded), so I guess I can stop studying now b/c I'm guaranteed to pass...
I did the same thing, I would mark off "review lecture notes" even though I had just done the critical pass flashcards or reviewed lean sheets. But whatever, review is review. If I had followed the study duration PSP suggested I would have never made it through the course.

felonious monk

New

Post by felonious monk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:50 pm

EvelynS wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What are people in NY doing for Domestic Relations? The lecture was terrible I'm doing practice essays and they are testing on stuff that is not in my lecture notes and I do not even see in the CMR.
I actually learn from the essays. After doing a few, you can see that there are some rules that they test more or less frequently. I just memorize them from the answer sheet. I don't know if it is a good approach, but DR lecture was really useless and oversimplified things for no reason.

Really? I thought Rog boy was pretty good.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Quick question about consequential damages.

I was always under the impression that a D has to know specifically of P's special circumstances in order for consequential damages to be obtained. However, I missed a question by picking an answer that stated "Generally, consequential damages are not recoverable by buyers."

The answer provides that Under the UCC, and absent a provision to the contrary, buyer are generally allowed to recover consequential damages in suits for a breach so long as the damages were foreseeable at the time the contract was made. I found this interesting because it says under the UCC the damages must just be foreseeable, NOT that the D must specifically know about P's special circumstances. This seems to be in direct contradiction to Contracts notes. Any insight on this issue is welcome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Barbro wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I mark things "completed" without actually doing them all the time. Especially in the beginning, when it would tell me to review lecture notes for a few hours after the lecture. I'm basically at 75% tho (and I even did the AMP crap + submitted essays to be graded), so I guess I can stop studying now b/c I'm guaranteed to pass...
I did the same thing, I would mark off "review lecture notes" even though I had just done the critical pass flashcards or reviewed lean sheets. But whatever, review is review. If I had followed the study duration PSP suggested I would have never made it through the course.
what to make of the fat that the average is so much lower? are people really not doing that much?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Quick question about consequential damages.

I was always under the impression that a D has to know specifically of P's special circumstances in order for consequential damages to be obtained. However, I missed a question by picking an answer that stated "Generally, consequential damages are not recoverable by buyers."

The answer provides that Under the UCC, and absent a provision to the contrary, buyer are generally allowed to recover consequential damages in suits for a breach so long as the damages were foreseeable at the time the contract was made. I found this interesting because it says under the UCC the damages must just be foreseeable, NOT that the D must specifically know about P's special circumstances. This seems to be in direct contradiction to Contracts notes. Any insight on this issue is welcome.
I think "foreseeable" and "knew about P's special circumstance" are really the same thing. Consequential damages arise only from facts that are unique to the plaintiff. But the defendant has to be aware of those facts before the whole thing went down in order to be liable for consequential damages.

Barbro

New

Post by Barbro » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:09 pm

victortsoi wrote:
Barbro wrote:
what to make of the fat that the average is so much lower? are people really not doing that much?
I guess not. Fine by me!

felonious monk

New

Post by felonious monk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:Quick question about consequential damages.

I think "foreseeable" and "knew about P's special circumstance" are really the same thing. Consequential damages arise only from facts that are unique to the plaintiff. But the defendant has to be aware of those facts before the whole thing went down in order to be liable for consequential damages.

Got it - lots of case law on what is and is not foreseeable loss but if you think of it like this it becomes easier: X wants to construct a refinery to be able to process crude oil. X and Y enter into a contract for the construction of the refinery - to be completed by DATE. If Y fails to deliver it is foreseeable the delay would mean lost revenue for X - who was unable to refine the crude because of the delay.

Not "specific" knowledge of the actual reason - but more a reasonabless test.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 pm

ArmyOfficer wrote:Did MBE Refresher today. That is a confidence killer.
It was awful.

felonious monk

New

Post by felonious monk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:34 pm

cdelgado wrote:
It was awful.
Has anyone done the half day test in the back of the mpq book? Inthinkmitmwas Q75. What a joke.

Although that exam did also have a fact pattern about a gangbanger shoutout where somehow the victim was SLEEPING on the sofa during the shootout and shot...

Srsly?

ohhoney

New

Post by ohhoney » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:43 pm

I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Any idea which ones are more similar to the ones we'll see on the real MBE?! (please say barbri, please say barbri).

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:45 pm

ohhoney wrote:I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Any idea which ones are more similar to the ones we'll see on the real MBE?! (please say barbri, please say barbri).
Adaptibar ones are much harder than Barbri too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 pm

felonious monk wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
It was awful.
Has anyone done the half day test in the back of the mpq book? Inthinkmitmwas Q75. What a joke.

Although that exam did also have a fact pattern about a gangbanger shoutout where somehow the victim was SLEEPING on the sofa during the shootout and shot...

Srsly?
Yeah I accidentally did the half day instead of the refresher. I remember a few questions in addition to that one where the facts were so improbable and wacky that it was distracting. Otherwise, didn't seem too terrible.

Is the refresher even worth doing if I've done the half-day instead? I could probably use the review, but confidence is at an all-time low.

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 pm

murray18 wrote:
felonious monk wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
It was awful.

Srsly?
Yeah I accidentally did the half day instead of the refresher. I remember a few questions in addition to that one where the facts were so improbable and wacky that it was distracting. Otherwise, didn't seem too terrible.

Is the refresher even worth doing if I've done the half-day instead? I could probably use the review, but confidence is at an all-time low.
I thought it was on a much of minor nitpicky things. I knocked out almost 1100 Adaptibar questions and get 75.5% correct, then I go to the MBE refresher and get 61%. Big drop. Hopefully, as everyone says the Barbri questions are not representative of the real questions.

felonious monk

New

Post by felonious monk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:01 pm

ArmyOfficer wrote:
ohhoney wrote:I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Adaptibar ones are much harder than Barbri too.
NCBE website has a small number of qs on their website specifically for Fed Civ Pro so check them out to get a good feel for exam day fun - hope this helps!

kmp127

New

Post by kmp127 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:02 pm

How sad is it after attempting to do essays on commercial paper, secured transactions, community property, consumer law, trusts, guardianships, oil and gas ......... i miss MBE questions!

so. sad. but at least i marginally know that crap

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”