BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

myrtlewinston

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:^ Yea, it's Friday. Take a break.

I did the MEE 1 practice exam today and crushed it. BarBri building up confidence. . . for once.

Good for you!

sharklet

Postby sharklet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
sharklet wrote:Are the NYMC questions fake too or are they from actual prior bar exams?

Emailed barbri to ask if these are realistic or if they are stupidly hard just to scare us. Their response basically indicated that they don't expect us to get much higher than 50% on them. So yes, the real questions are as tedious and ridiculous as the NYMC barbri provides and it basically is a crapshoot. Luckily they only count for about 10% of our score and everyone out there is also randomly guessing.

Thank you! That's good to know.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Re: 75% Completion
75% of AMP + 75% of PSP + 3 essays + Simulated MBE

I've been plodding through Civ Pro today. Slowly. Throw in the towel?

Just remember that a good number of people in some schools may or may not pass the bar on what could be their first try if they succeed in completing approximately at least 75% of what BARBRI assigns. That's a BARBRI guarantee!

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:59 pm

jamescastle wrote:
kmp127 wrote:TX ppl - BUS ORGS question for you please...

Does a shareholder have preemptive rights to buy the % shares equaling his % ownership OR to buy the # of shares that would allow him to keep his % ownership.

Example - TXT Sample Bus Orgs Essay number 28 - I answered he has a right to buy 500 out of the 3000 shares because that would allow him to keep his 10% stake in the company. Because the other 2000 issued are for compensation and property, he can't dip into that stack - but he can dip into the 3000 for his 500.

But the sample answer says he owns 10% so he can buy 10% of the 3000 = 300 shares.

The issue that comes to mind is that now, the company will have issued 10,000 shares. And previously this guy owned 10% but now he'll only own 8% because he was only allowed to buy 10% of the 3000... isn't the whole purpose of these rights for shareholders to maintain their stake?

Suppose the facts changed and 3000 were being issued for compensation and 1000 for property and 1000 for money. Would he only be allowed to buy 100 shares out of the 1000 issued for money? Thus leaving him with just 6% stake in the company when before he had 10%?

The two notes I have on pre-emptive rights (haven't done that essay yet) are:
1) If the certificate is silent as to pre-emptive rights there are no pre-emptive rights
2) The right of an existing shareholder of common stock to maintain his percentage of ownership by buying stock whenever there is a new issuance of stock for money
So from my understanding it would mean he gets to buy stock in order to keep his percentage which I think is based on outstanding shares. Which leads me to believe more in your answer of 500 as opposed to 300.

I asked Barbri this question and got a reply with nothing but a copy/paste of the TBOC sections on preemptive rights. As if she didn't even bother reading my question, or that I had specifically referenced a model answer... nope. Just a copy/paste - move along! But this is an impt issue and I want to make sure I learn it right...

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:05 pm

jamescastle wrote:

Just remember that a good number of people in some schools may or may not pass the bar on what could be their first try if they succeed in completing approximately at least 75% of what BARBRI assigns. That's a BARBRI guarantee!

:lol:

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:10 pm

jas31 wrote:That "MBE Refresher" was pretty ridiculous. I scored a 150 on the practice MBE, but then dropped to 65/100 for the refresher.

Yeah, I had scores comparable to yours on both of them. Not too disappointed though - the refresher "target" is only 57/100 and I'm assuming a lot of these are intentionally tricky questions.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:11 pm

envisciguy wrote:
jas31 wrote:That "MBE Refresher" was pretty ridiculous. I scored a 150 on the practice MBE, but then dropped to 65/100 for the refresher.

Yeah, I had scores comparable to yours on both of them. Not too disappointed though - the refresher "target" is only 57/100 and I'm assuming a lot of these are intentionally tricky questions.

That's how it seemed after reviewing them.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Just trying to scare you into studying more.

rhs100

Postby rhs100 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:22 pm

jamescastle wrote:

Wow what a guarantee - leaves no room for guessing, the best part is the "may or may not"

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Also, I hate every question with animals. I know the rule they're trying to test, but I always fuck up classifying the animal as domestic or wild. First it was bees, now I review the CMR and apparently BULLS are domestic farm animals? I'm not a zoologist, and I don't want to become one, so make it a dog or a lion or a goddamn cow so that I can apply the *law* you're supposed to be testing me on! SMH

EAsports

Postby EAsports » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Anyone watch the Refresher review videos? Worth the time?

Poopface

Postby Poopface » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:27 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Also, I hate every question with animals. I know the rule they're trying to test, but I always fuck up classifying the animal as domestic or wild. First it was bees, now I review the CMR and apparently BULLS are domestic farm animals? I'm not a zoologist, and I don't want to become one, so make it a dog or a lion or a goddamn cow so that I can apply the *law* you're supposed to be testing me on! SMH

totally agree. I cringe every time i get an animal question bc i feel like my screw up will be in mischaracterizing an animal as wild/domestic rather than in applying the law, which to me is the most infuriating situation i face in the middle of a question set

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:46 pm

EAsports wrote:Anyone watch the Refresher review videos? Worth the time?

Watching them right now on double speed. They're just ok. I don't think there's a ton of insight to be had (I liked the Guzman lectures a lot more).

I'm doing them so I feel productive while not overworking myself.

EDIT: After some introspection and hearing the lecturer repeat "process of elimination is the best approach here" multiple times, I'd say they're really not worth the time.
Last edited by envisciguy on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Poopface wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Also, I hate every question with animals. I know the rule they're trying to test, but I always fuck up classifying the animal as domestic or wild. First it was bees, now I review the CMR and apparently BULLS are domestic farm animals? I'm not a zoologist, and I don't want to become one, so make it a dog or a lion or a goddamn cow so that I can apply the *law* you're supposed to be testing me on! SMH

totally agree. I cringe every time i get an animal question bc i feel like my screw up will be in mischaracterizing an animal as wild/domestic rather than in applying the law, which to me is the most infuriating situation i face in the middle of a question set

Those darn rattlesnakes...

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 pm

If I'm in a 50% MBE state, I should really only be focusing on that, right?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:If I'm in a 50% MBE state, I should really only be focusing on that, right?

Absolutely

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:If I'm in a 50% MBE state, I should really only be focusing on that, right?

Absolutely

I dunno. I'm in a 50% MBE state, but I know virtually nothing about trusts/wills/secured transactions/corps, so I'm working on those during the day and doing some MBEs at night to stay fresh on those. Should I not be doing this? Aggghhh. :cry:

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:04 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Absolutely

I dunno. I'm in a 50% MBE state, but I know virtually nothing about trusts/wills/secured transactions/corps, so I'm working on those during the day and doing some MBEs at night to stay fresh on those. Should I not be doing this? Aggghhh. :cry:

Dude you're gonna be fine.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Absolutely

Dude you're gonna be fine.

Thanks. Just having one of my regularly scheduled weekly panics.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:08 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Absolutely

PA is 45%, and over the past few days/week I have been heavily focusing on state specific material. Crimes in PA are quite different (no battery, only assault/second degree murder is felony murder, etc.), we have to know prima facie cases for Employment Discrimination pretty much cold (ADA; ADEA; Title VII), along with wills, tax, family, corps, etc. Without having a fairly good familiarity with this stuff you would get absolutely rocked on essays based on how pointed the questions are.

My point being is that focusing on state material is not a wasted effort. Knowing things such as the fact that marital fault can be incorporated in an alimony distribution determination, but not an equitable property distribution determination, nets you at least probably 3/5 points on an essay with this issue. Examinees who didn't look at the state specific family law stuff enough/at all would miss these seemingly easy 3 points. So don't stress about looking at state stuff, as it will only help boost your score on essay day.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 pm

CA is... idk. Bad.

I haven't studied that much tbh. Just a lot of staring at my laptop not learning. Spent most of today panicking & realizing how bad I am at everything.

Eta -- Barbri says something about 75% complete = auto pass basically. I'm basically there, but I don't know this stuff...

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 pm

kmp127 wrote:TX ppl - BUS ORGS question for you please...

Does a shareholder have preemptive rights to buy the % shares equaling his % ownership OR to buy the # of shares that would allow him to keep his % ownership.

I haven't done that question, but these should be the same thing.

Example: SH with preemptive rights owns 5% of company with 10,000 outstanding shares (therefore SH owns 500 shares). Company decides to issue 4000 additional shares. SH can buy 200 of those 4000 shares (5%). Now shareholder owns 700 shares out of 14,000. That equals 5%.

EDIT: Reading the question I see the issue. In the question, 5000 new shares are issued, so it's natural to think that the guy (10% SH) can exercise his option for 500 shares; however, only 3000 of the new shares issued were sold; the other 2000 were issued as non-monetary consideration (1000 for CEO compensation; 1000 to pay vendor). Preemptive rights for stock sold don't allow for dilution of an overall stake, but there are no preemptive rights for stock issued for non-monetary consideration unless the certificate specifically provides for such rights, and we have no facts to indicate that here. Thus he can protect his stake with regard to the 3,000 shares that are sold, but not the 2000 that are used for compensation. The reason for this is that there's no way to use stock as non-cash consideration without diluting the average shareholder's interest.

Think about it this way. There's a company with just three shareholders, A, B, and C, and each of them holds 3000 shares of 9000 total shares, and each has preemptive rights. If the preemptive rights extend to stock issued for non-monetary consideration, can the company pay its CEO any stock at all? If the board votes to issue 3000 shares to the CEO as part of his compensation, you can't have A, B, and C all saying "And I'm going to exercise my option, so I'll take 1000 of those newly issued shares." If they do that, there's nothing to issue the CEO, so they have to issue another 3000 shares, and we fall into a vicious cycle.
Last edited by BVest on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but my school's bar prep adviser person sent out her predictions for MEE subjects this year. She was almost 100% accurate last year:

These are merely predictions (guesses) and please take them as such. You should study and prepare for every MEE subject just in case they appear on one of the essays. But, during your final study days (hours), you should focus your MEE practice and studying on Corporations (LLC/Pship), Evidence, Trusts, Criminal Procedure, Civil Procedure (has been tested forever, but could be left off this summer now that Civ Pro is on the MBE), Conflicts/Family Law (together), and maybe Conlaw (not equal protection or takings) or Contracts. Based on past frequency, these subjects, or a combination thereof, will likely appear on the MEE this summer.

Especially interesting because they are almost exactly the same predictions as this guy's:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=248341

Edit: This is mainly relevant only to UBE states, less so for states that use some MEE questions, and obviously irrelevant for CA, TX, NY, etc.
Last edited by RaleighStClair on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:06 pm

I feel like I misread every single essay question or it's just going over my head.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but my school's bar prep adviser person sent out her predictions for MEE subjects this year. She was almost 100% accurate last year:

These are merely predictions (guesses) and please take them as such. You should study and prepare for every MEE subject just in case they appear on one of the essays. But, during your final study days (hours), you should focus your MEE practice and studying on Corporations (LLC/Pship), Evidence, Trusts, Criminal Procedure, Civil Procedure (has been tested forever, but could be left off this summer now that Civ Pro is on the MBE), Conflicts/Family Law (together), and maybe Conlaw (not equal protection or takings) or Contracts. Based on past frequency, these subjects, or a combination thereof, will likely appear on the MEE this summer.

Especially interesting because they are almost exactly the same predictions as this guy's:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=248341

Edit: This is mainly relevant only to UBE states, less so for states that use some MEE questions, and obviously irrelevant for CA, TX, NY, etc.

*high five*

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”