BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

waxecstatic

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby waxecstatic » Mon May 25, 2015 8:55 pm

What do people think about the conviser mini review versus the big book that basically is a condensed textbook of every subject in that it even includes cases and every little detail for certain BLL elements. I think it's great as a reference but I can't picture myself tackling it as some subjects are over 150 pages. It seems awfully overwhelming. I have the CMR from 2011, which is identical to the one out now, and I bought the 2015 civ pro book off ebay which contains the unabridged version and the CMR for it. Is anyone trying to memorize the details from the big book? Is anyone just using the CMR?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon May 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 pm

mushybrain wrote:I'm finding that I'll probably never learn the black letter law cold without some kind of flash card setup. Or at least I won't learn it all well enough to regurgitate it on an essay. I'm trying the Critical Pass app on the iPad to see if I want to buy the full set of cards on there since that's like half the price of the physical ones. I have no intention of making my own flash cards though--I don't really learn by writing things out like that so it's not a good use of my time.

I think I'd also like attack sheets to study for the essay topics but I've read mixed things about Lean Sheets. Some people liked them, others felt they weren't really in depth enough, some thought the abbreviations and format were distracting enough to warrant just making your own.

I'm interested in the MBE thing also. I've heard the BarBri ones on the PSP aren't representative of the actual difficulty.

Do you, or anyone else, know the how much more you get when you buy the full set in-app? There is quite a bit here already, so I am curious what you're actually getting for the $49.99.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 pm

waxecstatic wrote:What do people think about the conviser mini review versus the big book that basically is a condensed textbook of every subject in that it even includes cases and every little detail for certain BLL elements. I think it's great as a reference but I can't picture myself tackling it as some subjects are over 150 pages. It seems awfully overwhelming. I have the CMR from 2011, which is identical to the one out now, and I bought the 2015 civ pro book off ebay which contains the unabridged version and the CMR for it. Is anyone trying to memorize the details from the big book? Is anyone just using the CMR?

The CMR seems like way too much. From what i've heard, it's got a ton of info that really isn't tested. The lecture notes and mini review is plenty, especially given that the goal is to be better than the bottom 30% or so. I wouldn't sweat it

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon May 25, 2015 10:41 pm

mr.hands wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:What do people think about the conviser mini review versus the big book that basically is a condensed textbook of every subject in that it even includes cases and every little detail for certain BLL elements. I think it's great as a reference but I can't picture myself tackling it as some subjects are over 150 pages. It seems awfully overwhelming. I have the CMR from 2011, which is identical to the one out now, and I bought the 2015 civ pro book off ebay which contains the unabridged version and the CMR for it. Is anyone trying to memorize the details from the big book? Is anyone just using the CMR?

The CMR seems like way too much. From what i've heard, it's got a ton of info that really isn't tested. The lecture notes and mini review is plenty, especially given that the goal is to be better than the bottom 30% or so. I wouldn't sweat it

wait, do you mean that the full outline in the multistate is overkill, or the CMR, which is the mini review? Thanks. I agree, the full 150 page outlines are way too much to tackle unless you really dont get something or bombed a topic in ls.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon May 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Did y'all watch the opening day video? After they massively screwed up the broadcast I put it off. I tried to watch it tonight and got "User has removed this video."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVF-e5135Ko

If you watched it was there any useful info at all (besides "review the outline or convisor before class")?

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:52 pm

BVest wrote:Did y'all watch the opening day video? After they massively screwed up the broadcast I put it off. I tried to watch it tonight and got "User has removed this video."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVF-e5135Ko

If you watched it was there any useful info at all (besides "review the outline or convisor before class")?

No.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 pm

JG7773 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:The practice question assignments will pop up. Check your PSP. I took the Torts Diagnostic. There were topics and details that Schechter blew over.

Is everyone reading Conviser?

I skimmed the CMR today. My first lecture is Tuesday (Torts) with Conviser. I am curious the differences between Conviser's lecture and Schechter's.

I hope Conviser's is much better. Schechter's was incomplete.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon May 25, 2015 10:58 pm

mr.hands wrote:

Hi, where are the mini reviews? On the app?

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Tue May 26, 2015 12:04 pm

victortsoi wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

wait, do you mean that the full outline in the multistate is overkill, or the CMR, which is the mini review? Thanks. I agree, the full 150 page outlines are way too much to tackle unless you really dont get something or bombed a topic in ls.

I mean the full outline, the one that gives examples for every concept (which certainly isn't a bad idea) and case law underscoring the law. The CMR generally is only 40-50 pages long per subject.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Tue May 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Are we suppose to not use notes during the initial assessment questions right after we finish a topic?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:46 pm

buckythebadger wrote:Are we suppose to not use notes during the initial assessment questions right after we finish a topic?

I assumed those were to be taken without aids. Otherwise what are they assessing?

bmili

Postby bmili » Tue May 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Can someone give some input on these questions?

1) What is the purpose of the diagnostic questions after each substantive section?
2) What is the purpose of the MPQ workshops?
3) At what point, or based on what questions, are we compared with other Barbri students?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue May 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Checking in

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:33 pm

bmili wrote:Can someone give some input on these questions?

1) What is the purpose of the diagnostic questions after each substantive section?
3) At what point, or based on what questions, are we compared with other Barbri students?

(1) Diagnosing weaknesses so the system can assign you personalized homework assignments based on those weaknesses
(2) Practice/ learn from explanatory answers
(3) Every Monday night

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue May 26, 2015 5:07 pm

buckythebadger wrote:Are we suppose to not use notes during the initial assessment questions right after we finish a topic?

I'm confused too, as the daily instructions say we're expected to have things memorised yet. Will let you know when I hear back from Barbri.

bmili

Postby bmili » Tue May 26, 2015 5:34 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
bmili wrote:Can someone give some input on these questions?

(1) Diagnosing weaknesses so the system can assign you personalized homework assignments based on those weaknesses
(2) Practice/ learn from explanatory answers
(3) Every Monday night

Thanks, that is helpful. So then which MBE questions are used to compare us with the other Barbri students? The questions in the diagnostic, workshops, mock MBE, or all of the above?

EDIT: NM, I see that its the MPQ questions. I never noticed the "My Progress" icon.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue May 26, 2015 6:30 pm

JG7773 wrote:
mushybrain wrote:I'm finding that I'll probably never learn the black letter law cold without some kind of flash card setup. Or at least I won't learn it all well enough to regurgitate it on an essay. I'm trying the Critical Pass app on the iPad to see if I want to buy the full set of cards on there since that's like half the price of the physical ones. I have no intention of making my own flash cards though--I don't really learn by writing things out like that so it's not a good use of my time.

I think I'd also like attack sheets to study for the essay topics but I've read mixed things about Lean Sheets. Some people liked them, others felt they weren't really in depth enough, some thought the abbreviations and format were distracting enough to warrant just making your own.

I'm interested in the MBE thing also. I've heard the BarBri ones on the PSP aren't representative of the actual difficulty.

Do you, or anyone else, know the how much more you get when you buy the full set in-app? There is quite a bit here already, so I am curious what you're actually getting for the $49.99.
You get something like 70 cards for free, 10 each for 7 subjects. The $50 gets you the remaining ~230 or so. The app should show those other ones as grayed out, so you can see which you're missing and would "unlock" with your purchase.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with the videos freezing entirely or the sound stopping while the video keeps playing?

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue May 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Yes. I had that problem today on the CA Performance Test lecture despite my internet working fine otherwise. There were several minutes that were more or less unwatchable. It's happened in a couple videos, although not as bad as today, and I've played around with speeds to confirm it isn't just when I'm running faster than 1x.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Tue May 26, 2015 6:44 pm

obviously, since the bar is a closed book exam, i wouldn't use notes for any practice.....
myrtlewinston wrote:

I'm confused too, as the daily instructions say we're expected to have things memorised yet. Will let you know when I hear back from Barbri.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue May 26, 2015 7:26 pm

just checking in. Got really frustrated with Barbri live feed today...it got issue a few times, so the whole classed missed some lecture time, which we have to go back and watch all over again. Really thinking about switching to online attendance only.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue May 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Who else's first essay was total crap? Someone please make me feel better about myself.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue May 26, 2015 8:29 pm

has anyone experimented with loading the video the whole way then going offline? I'd love to be able to watch them at the gym but it doesn't have wifi.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:44 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:has anyone experimented with loading the video the whole way then going offline? I'd love to be able to watch them at the gym but it doesn't have wifi.

I don't think it's loading anything locally, just streaming.
But there's a mobile app and you can watch on your phone, assuming you have a decent data plan.

wtf is this 10-minute story about a N'Sync concert from the Property lady? jfc.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”