BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

kyle010723

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Does anyone know if there's a difference between BarBri's "Goal" scores and an average score?

I did the practice full day exam today and scored a little better than the goal score but I'm not sure if that means I'm barely above average or if the goal has some other, entirely different meaning (eg., passing in nearly every jurisdiction, etc.)

If by "goal" you mean those score in the front of the MBE book, I always assumed they're average. But I guess they're "based on the average"? Honestly I wouldn't sweat it if you are hitting goals. Barbri will not set a goal so low that by hitting it, you're not doing "well" respectively.

Also, hitting a brick wall after doing 60 MBE questions later... it's a struggle.

Notmyfavbar

Postby Notmyfavbar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm

kykiske wrote:My current problem is lack of motivation. Pretty burnt out.

I'm lucky if I can get in like, 4 hours of solid studying per day.

I have no clue how my peers are spending 12+ hours in the library each and every day.

I haven't touched most of the Barbri books. So far, I've only opened the lecture book, the MBE practice book, the MEE practice book, the CMR, and the MPT book (very recently).

I'm right there with you. And I'm so behind and barely know any state subjects. I also feel like I'm forgetting basic MBE rules that I used to know because I'm so tired. Literally quit in the middle of a question set today and just sat on the couch and stared at the wall hahaha. I figured the least I could do is go over some notes and even that was such a fucking struggle for me. I just need to rest up and get back into it because I can't be this nonfunctional when we have a week left.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Does anyone know if there's a difference between BarBri's "Goal" scores and an average score?

I did the practice full day exam today and scored a little better than the goal score but I'm not sure if that means I'm barely above average or if the goal has some other, entirely different meaning (eg., passing in nearly every jurisdiction, etc.)

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Whatever "based on the average performance of previous students" means. I'm almost tempted to e-mail someone. Haha.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Things I have come to hate even more when studying for the bar:

If the [thing you care about] was done before this date: Apply this law
If the [thing you care about] was done after this date: Apply this completely different law

Backpacker

Postby Backpacker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
Hedgehog25 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone who's done the Refresher, did you find the first 50 or second 50 to be particularly harder than the other? Just finished the first 50 and taking a break...just curious.

-14 on the first 50, -13 on the second. No difference for me.

Word. I did slightly better on the first half, but not by much. How did that compare to your Midterm?

Mine was 5% higher than the midterm simulated one. Just wondering if the 57% average thing for this one is for real.

dropped 7%.

catch12

Postby catch12 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Backpacker wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
Hedgehog25 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Anyone who's done the Refresher, did you find the first 50 or second 50 to be particularly harder than the other? Just finished the first 50 and taking a break...just curious.

Word. I did slightly better on the first half, but not by much. How did that compare to your Midterm?

Mine was 5% higher than the midterm simulated one. Just wondering if the 57% average thing for this one is for real.

dropped 7%.

Dropped 13%. If the MBE is supposed to be my strong section and I got a 65/100 on the Refresher, am I in trouble? Was feeling pretty good until today...

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:07 pm

If Plaintiff bring an action against a manufacturer alleging injuries on the ground of strict liability due to failure to warn. Is it a defense that manufacture did not know of such risk, and the risk was not known in the industry at the time?

I remember doing a few questions like that on the MBE but cannot find an answer on point. The closest one is "scientifically unknowable risk" may be a defense, but that seems like an exceedingly high bar. Presumably any risk is scientifically discoverable if one is to invest an unlimited amount of money.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 pm

kyle010723 wrote:If Plaintiff bring an action against a manufacturer alleging injuries on the ground of strict liability due to failure to warn. Is it a defense that manufacture did not know of such risk, and the risk was not known in the industry at the time?

I remember doing a few questions like that on the MBE but cannot find an answer on point. The closest one is "scientifically unknowable risk" may be a defense, but that seems like an exceedingly high bar. Presumably any risk is scientifically discoverable if one is to invest an unlimited amount of money.

I'm no expert but I think that's why it's called strict liability. You basically tell the manufacturer they're responsible for everything and they can decide how much to invest in safety.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:If Plaintiff bring an action against a manufacturer alleging injuries on the ground of strict liability due to failure to warn. Is it a defense that manufacture did not know of such risk, and the risk was not known in the industry at the time?

I'm no expert but I think that's why it's called strict liability. You basically tell the manufacturer they're responsible for everything and they can decide how much to invest in safety.

You're probably right. Thanks.

Learned Throw Hands

Postby Learned Throw Hands » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:15 pm

catch12 wrote:
Backpacker wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
Hedgehog25 wrote:

dropped 7%.

Dropped 13%. If the MBE is supposed to be my strong section and I got a 65/100 on the Refresher, am I in trouble? Was feeling pretty good until today...

I scored 58% correct on the simulated which put me at the 51% percentile. On the refresher I scored 50/100. What. The. Fuck.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

This is how I understand it.
I think you're mixing strict liability and products liability. What you wrote as a defense is more in line with analysis done for products liability.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Learned Throw Hands wrote:
catch12 wrote:
Backpacker wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
Hedgehog25 wrote:

dropped 7%.

I scored 58% correct on the simulated which put me at the 51% percentile. On the refresher I scored 50/100. What. The. Fuck.

I starting to think it's probably pretty expected to do worse on this one than the simulated. BarBri says that it's representative of "some of the more difficult questions that you will see on the MBE." But it says the "goal" based on average (whatever that means) is 57%. Which I think is almost exactly the same as the average for the simulated.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:36 pm

Reviewed evidence today. It felt like I was looking at it for hte first time. I'm screwed if there's an evidence essay question. I feel like my answer would look like: "This looks like character evidence. Character evidence is generally inadmissible, bro. But sometimes we let character evidence in if we want to." I hope that's passing.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Rage quit today after I did the half-day instead of the refresher... Minor fucking mistake, but for some reason its making steam come out of my ears.

On a different note, I saw real improvement from the midterm to the half-day I did today. I'm still in the shallows for state subjects, but for the first time during bar prep I'm seeing the light. WE CAN DO THIS!

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Is anyone else worn out? I started to feel ill on Monday (chills and aches), but I think it's pure fatigue. Would it be crazy of me to take a short break somewhere?

murray18

Postby murray18 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Is anyone else worn out? I started to feel ill on Monday (chills and aches), but I think it's pure fatigue. Would it be crazy of me to take a short break somewhere?

I felt this way at some point every semester of law school during finals, and a day off always rejuvenated me. If it reassures you, I'm taking Friday off to move. Not very relaxing, but I'm hoping a Barbri break will give me some energy for the final push.

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:21 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Is anyone else worn out? I started to feel ill on Monday (chills and aches), but I think it's pure fatigue. Would it be crazy of me to take a short break somewhere?

Take a day off from BarBri, pounding water, vegetables, and vitamin C, and get some rest. It's going to be okay.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:25 pm

moreheesh wrote:

Take a day off from BarBri, pounding water, vegetables, and vitamin C, and get some rest. It's going to be okay.

+1

Neff

Postby Neff » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:27 pm

I've had days when I just didn't function. It's okay to do absolutely nothing on those days. Every day is a new beginning. Sounds like a cliche but it's so true with bar prep. It's much better to do nothing on your "bad" days than to get caught in that "procrastination" zone when you know you should be studying but are just shitting away the hours surfing the web/TLS (ha!). If you don't feel like working, just don't. Sleep, eat/drink something good, exercise, TV, video games, movies -- whatever it is you want to do, let yourself do it. Work hard, play hard. Don't get caught in that no man's land.

[Insert random photo of horse playing with dog here.]

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:34 pm

My doc and tutor told me to take today off, but I woke up feeling alright, so I studied. The fatigue hit around 10pm and I'm terrified of burning out. The bar exam is not short.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Sorry to throw a wrench in the discussion here - totally on board with taking breaks. But I have a quick (admittedly basic) civ pro question...

If P and D are diverse, and P has a $74k federal claim (would have been good for FQ on its own) and a $2k state claim, can it aggregate the two to get over the $75k requirement and bring in the state claim as well under diversity? Or can you only aggregate claims that are not based on FQ?

I'm thinking you can, but I'm not 100%.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:48 pm

If it's the same D, yes.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:If it's the same D, yes.

Right. And if it was a second Defendant, P's claim would have to be claiming that both Ds are jointly liable? Or same T/O?

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Anyone else think the MBE Refresher was absurdly difficult? 62/100 here, and I did pretty well on the Simulated MBE (140/200) a few weeks ago. Anyone looking for a confidence, I would suggest not doing the Refresher.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:54 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:If it's the same D, yes.

Right. And if it was a second Defendant, P's claim would have to be claiming that both Ds are jointly liable? Or same T/O?

Jointly liable.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”