BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

The Greyest Goose
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby The Greyest Goose » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Is there even any point to doing these barbri questions anymore? My scores fluctuate 25% depending on what sets I'm doing, and the questions never teach me new rules or anything. I learn some silly exception, which is always wrong if i ever try to use it again, or i made some "unreasonable" assumption. I don't even feel my scores are indicative of anything because I can score above 75% one day and below 50% the next. All this does is frustrate me and I'm starting to blow easier questions because I'm expecting some trick.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 pm

The Greyest Goose wrote:Is there even any point to doing these barbri questions anymore? My scores fluctuate 25% depending on what sets I'm doing, and the questions never teach me new rules or anything. I learn some silly exception, which is always wrong if i ever try to use it again, or i made some "unreasonable" assumption. I don't even feel my scores are indicative of anything because I can score above 75% one day and below 50% the next. All this does is frustrate me and I'm starting to blow easier questions because I'm expecting some trick.


If you're doing 75% on MPQ5 and 6, you're doing very well. 50% is normal.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Blue Ivy wrote:I'm struggling with identifying if a statement actually being offered for the truth of the matter asserted when doing MBE Qs. Are there any tricks for identifying when the statement actually being offered for the truth or some other purpose?


Ask yourself whether it matters if the statement is true or not.

old_soul
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby old_soul » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:01 pm

victortsoi wrote:
old_soul wrote:Hi guys,

In these last two weeks, how are you memorizing? Are you using Quizlet or any other online tool? Or making/using physical flash cards? Or just practicing?

I just went through flashcards for Con law and Secured Transactions today, whew, it took me 8 hours total to "roughly cement" the most relevant stuff inside my head and even after that I feel slightly shaky on those topics in terms of writing out volumes for rule statements.



oh man...is secured transaction that big in your state? I don't know if that was worth 8 hours (not trying to criticize, just pointing out for the rest of our time)... :oops:



Sec. Trans has been on the Essays for the past 6 or 7 exams in my state. :roll:

The Greyest Goose
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby The Greyest Goose » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:22 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
The Greyest Goose wrote:Is there even any point to doing these barbri questions anymore? My scores fluctuate 25% depending on what sets I'm doing, and the questions never teach me new rules or anything. I learn some silly exception, which is always wrong if i ever try to use it again, or i made some "unreasonable" assumption. I don't even feel my scores are indicative of anything because I can score above 75% one day and below 50% the next. All this does is frustrate me and I'm starting to blow easier questions because I'm expecting some trick.


If you're doing 75% on MPQ5 and 6, you're doing very well. 50% is normal.


Talking about Mixed sets 1-4 and the half day exam. I actually did fine on most of the set 5's, never lower than 60%.

User avatar
RaleighStClair
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 pm

The Greyest Goose wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
The Greyest Goose wrote:Is there even any point to doing these barbri questions anymore? My scores fluctuate 25% depending on what sets I'm doing, and the questions never teach me new rules or anything. I learn some silly exception, which is always wrong if i ever try to use it again, or i made some "unreasonable" assumption. I don't even feel my scores are indicative of anything because I can score above 75% one day and below 50% the next. All this does is frustrate me and I'm starting to blow easier questions because I'm expecting some trick.


If you're doing 75% on MPQ5 and 6, you're doing very well. 50% is normal.


Talking about Mixed sets 1-4 and the half day exam. I actually did fine on most of the set 5's, never lower than 60%.


Image

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:39 pm

To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?

User avatar
941law
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:21 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 941law » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:58 pm

From start to finish how many hours of work do you think Barbri expected us to put in total to finish all their content? 475 hours?

The course was like 10 weeks right? Most days we were given 6-8 hours of work according to them?

cdelgado
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby cdelgado » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Has anyone found the Essay Advantage stuff useful? I'm not sure if the overview of topics is worth looking at.

kmp127
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kmp127 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:02 pm

kyle010723 wrote:To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?


From my understanding, if dudes got adverse possession after all that time, then some bfp buying it won't change that. He's got it whether he quieted title or not.

If he wants to sell it, however, he's gotta either quiet title (get a judgment) or sell a quitclaim bc otherwise what he's selling isn't marketable. If a bfp is buying it - he's a dumbo for not doing his homework anyway and only gets what this adverse possessor had to give.

I don't understand Barbri's stupid words sometimes. I just pray my grader gets what I'm getting at... oh, and that I'm not totally wrong haha

Ludacrispat26
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Anyone have a quick and dirty list of New York statute abbrevations/names for each subject (e.g. NYPL for crim, CPLR for new york practice, etc)?

The Greyest Goose
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby The Greyest Goose » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:09 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
The Greyest Goose wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
The Greyest Goose wrote:Is there even any point to doing these barbri questions anymore? My scores fluctuate 25% depending on what sets I'm doing, and the questions never teach me new rules or anything. I learn some silly exception, which is always wrong if i ever try to use it again, or i made some "unreasonable" assumption. I don't even feel my scores are indicative of anything because I can score above 75% one day and below 50% the next. All this does is frustrate me and I'm starting to blow easier questions because I'm expecting some trick.


If you're doing 75% on MPQ5 and 6, you're doing very well. 50% is normal.


Talking about Mixed sets 1-4 and the half day exam. I actually did fine on most of the set 5's, never lower than 60%.


really?


Yes. Although I did know that sets 5 were much harder so I was looking for difficult issues. But I still don't understand why my scores are moving 25% on the other sets. I check the ones I do poorly on and much of what I miss is because of some unreasonable assumption or expecting a trick when there wasn't one. But I don't understand why I have ~10-15 questions like that on some sets and just 1-2 on others. At at about 65% overall on all MPQ's.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:12 pm

cdelgado wrote:Has anyone found the Essay Advantage stuff useful? I'm not sure if the overview of topics is worth looking at.


How do you even access this? Barbri assigned us just one assignment from Essay Advantage, and it was on contracts. Is there more to it than that one assignment?

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:22 pm

941law wrote:From start to finish how many hours of work do you think Barbri expected us to put in total to finish all their content? 475 hours?

The course was like 10 weeks right? Most days we were given 6-8 hours of work according to them?


475 sounds about right, I just quickly calculated my completion hours vs. my percentage completed and it's around 477. Probably defer by states too.

cdelgado
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby cdelgado » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:22 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
cdelgado wrote:Has anyone found the Essay Advantage stuff useful? I'm not sure if the overview of topics is worth looking at.


How do you even access this? Barbri assigned us just one assignment from Essay Advantage, and it was on contracts. Is there more to it than that one assignment?

I have a different book as part of my state's materials that has an overview of all essay topics, a short outline, etc.

jamescastle
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby jamescastle » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:22 pm

kyle010723 wrote:To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?

Read that in Chuck Shonholtz's voice. Dunno if that was intended.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:30 pm

jamescastle wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?

Read that in Chuck Shonholtz's voice. Dunno if that was intended.


YES!! Now read it in Shonholtz's voice at 2x speed.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:34 pm

kyle010723 wrote:To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?


Great. Now I'm confused about an issue I didn't even know existed.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
941law wrote:From start to finish how many hours of work do you think Barbri expected us to put in total to finish all their content? 475 hours?

The course was like 10 weeks right? Most days we were given 6-8 hours of work according to them?


475 sounds about right, I just quickly calculated my completion hours vs. my percentage completed and it's around 477. Probably defer by states too.


Anybody else certain they would fail if they followed barbri's schedule? At this point if I know the rules my essays are similar to the models. However, a troubling amount of the time I'm blanking out. I need to stop writing and start memorizing.

BarbriSlave
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BarbriSlave » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:43 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?


Great. Now I'm confused about an issue I didn't even know existed.



In this case (AP vs. BFP) I think all the AP would have to do file suit to quiet-title against the BFP.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:45 pm

BarbriSlave wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:To clarify, an adverse possessor needs to file a quiet-title action after meeting all the requirements to gain a marketable title, but the said adverse possessor does not need to quiet-title and record it to be protected against a BFP?

Barbri says BFP is God's favorite child except against an adverse possessor because "there is no instrument to record in order to perfect such interest." But wouldn't the instrument be the title or the deed stamped by a court after a quiet-title action?


Great. Now I'm confused about an issue I didn't even know existed.



In this case (AP vs. BFP) I think all the AP would have to do file suit to quiet-title against the BFP.

I think this is right. This is one reason why buyers have the option of paying a premium for a warranty deed. They have to look to the seller when this happens.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:46 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Anybody else certain they would fail if they followed barbri's schedule? At this point if I know the rules my essays are similar to the models. However, a troubling amount of the time I'm blanking out. I need to stop writing and start memorizing.


+1, hence I am doing everything in my power to hammer out essays after essays after essays. Especially after the spectacular failure of my Essay Simulation Day.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:48 pm

3|ink wrote:
BarbriSlave wrote:In this case (AP vs. BFP) I think all the AP would have to do file suit to quiet-title against the BFP.

I think this is right. This is one reason why buyers have the option of paying a premium for a warranty deed. They have to look to the seller when this happens.


That's the right result according to Barbri. My question would be is that true regardless of the recording statute in the state?

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:Anyone have a quick and dirty list of New York statute abbrevations/names for each subject (e.g. NYPL for crim, CPLR for new york practice, etc)?


CPLR - NY Practice
EPTL - trusts and wills
NYGOL - contracts
BCL - Corporations
NYRPL - real property

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:00 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
BarbriSlave wrote:In this case (AP vs. BFP) I think all the AP would have to do file suit to quiet-title against the BFP.

I think this is right. This is one reason why buyers have the option of paying a premium for a warranty deed. They have to look to the seller when this happens.


That's the right result according to Barbri. My question would be is that true regardless of the recording statute in the state?

I believe so.

First, the adverse possessor would lose every time if it had to record before the BFP, no matter the statute in place. In a notice jurisdiction, the BFP wins if the prior purchaser (the adverse possessor here) fails to record before the BFP buys. But someone who has yet to initiate a quiet title action by the time the BFP purchases probably hasn't recorded yet. Similarly, an adverse possessor would lose in a race-notice jurisdiction even if the BFP failed to record because the adverse possessor presumably cannot record until he completes the quiet title action.

Second, I don't think adverse possession is a transaction within the scope of the race notice statutes.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests