BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Ludacrispat26

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Can anyone explain the practical difference between an Assignment, a Delegation, and a Novation? I understand the legal effects of each, but I can't seem to distinguish them on fact patterns. NY if it matters.

helpful: http://mbetutorial.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... tions.html

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:57 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Can anyone explain the practical difference between an Assignment, a Delegation, and a Novation? I understand the legal effects of each, but I can't seem to distinguish them on fact patterns. NY if it matters.

Assignment: One guy unilaterally gives his rights in the contract to someone else. I agree to paint your house, but I assign my rights in the contract to my cousin so you'll be paying him instead.

Delegation: One guy unilaterally asks someone else to do his job as required in the contract. So I agree to paint your house and I hire some people to help, I'm delegating some or all of my duties to them but I remain on the hook.

Novation: Both parties agree someone else will take over for one of the parties. So I agree to paint your house then we find out a better painter is available so we mutually agree to swap in the better guy for me. I'm now off the hook.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Barbro wrote:Does anyone know if Barbri's "75% completion = 100% pass rate" applies to all barbri students or only specific schools?

So I asked Barbri, and this is the reply: "At an impressive number of schools across the U.S. among students who did 75% of the work, 100% of those students passed the bar"

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 pm

If it helps, I think of a novation as a substitute contract, an assignment as involving a substitute beneficiary, and a delegation as involving a substitute performer.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Barbro wrote:Does anyone know if Barbri's "75% completion = 100% pass rate" applies to all barbri students or only specific schools?

So I asked Barbri, and this is the reply: "At an impressive number of schools across the U.S. among students who did 75% of the work, 100% of those students passed the bar"

Oh.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:43 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

Oh.

wow so Barbri is full of shit

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:50 pm

mr.hands wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

Oh.

wow so Barbri is full of shit

It would be absurd to think that every person who got through 75% pass their respective bars.

It'd be absurd to think that of 99%

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Can anyone explain Question 10 in Contracts MPQ Set 5? I thought the correct answer was (A), but it's (B). I don't understand why the seller has an opportunity to cure. I just don't agree with Barbri's analysis of the facts, I guess. First of all, one button missing on a $12,000 coat doesn't seem like a minor defect to me. And I don't understand why the seller could have reasonably believed it would have been acceptable.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm just now realizing that I learned NOTHING from Kaufman's corporations lecture. NOTHING.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:54 pm

So, this probably just show my complete lack of understanding of the Rule Against Perpetuities, but would anyone be willing to explain why Question 12 of Real Property Set 5 isn't subject to RAP? BARBRI didn't even mention it, so I'm guessing I missed something pretty obvious.

Barbro

Postby Barbro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:05 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

Oh well so long as it's an impressive number of schools... :roll:

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:16 pm

envisciguy wrote:So, this probably just show my complete lack of understanding of the Rule Against Perpetuities, but would anyone be willing to explain why Question 12 of Real Property Set 5 isn't subject to RAP? BARBRI didn't even mention it, so I'm guessing I missed something pretty obvious.

Someone else should check my work here, but here's my analysis: The devise is "subject" to RAP but doesn't violate it. It's subject to RAP because it includes two contingent remainders (actually, a contingent life estate and a contingent remainder). It doesn't violate RAP because everything must vest or fail within lives in being (you don't even need the +21 years here). The contingent life estate in the eldest of the 2 grandchildren will vest, if at all, when the daughter dies. The contingent remainder in the eldest surviving offspring is limited by the language "at the death of the last life tenant. So, it will vest when the eldest of the 2 grandchildren (who are alive now) dies.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:

helpful: http://mbetutorial.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... tions.html

This is helpful thanks

Neff

Postby Neff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Good explanations of RAP, etc:

http://thehermitofsidleypark.tumblr.com/

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Barbro wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:So I asked Barbri, and this is the reply: "At an impressive number of schools across the U.S. among students who did 75% of the work, 100% of those students passed the bar"

Oh well so long as it's an impressive number of schools... :roll:

They might as well tell you "50% of the students passed 100% of the time" and would still be a true statement in most states...

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Does anyone have a Business Orgs chart for TX? Something lays out visually the major differences between the types of orgs (like formation and liability)?

I'll trade u something I might have!! :)

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm just now realizing that I learned NOTHING from Kaufman's corporations lecture. NOTHING.

Feeling the same way in NY and Freer teaches that one. He's a great lecturer, so I just must be an idiot.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
3|ink wrote:I'm just now realizing that I learned NOTHING from Kaufman's corporations lecture. NOTHING.

Feeling the same way in NY and Freer teaches that one. He's a great lecturer, so I just must be an idiot.

There's always Ruescher's $129 NY mini-review. :?

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Essays.

Kill me.

Here's to hoping that everyone in my state is more retarded than I am.

Also - does anyone know if you can do an accord and satisfaction for part of a preexisting contract? Like K to pay $20k for five years then on day someone is like just pay me $15k for this year and you're all good. Is that not an accord and satisfaction?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

The thought of spending any more money on this stupid test makes me literally nauseous.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Killingly wrote:Essays.

Kill me.

Also - does anyone know if you can do an accord and satisfaction for part of a preexisting contract? Like K to pay $20k for five years then on day someone is like just pay me $15k for this year and you're all good. Is that not an accord and satisfaction?

I think it's okay if something is being given up for the $5k decrease; like if the payment is earlier than it normally would have to be. Otherwise it's just a pre-existing legal duty. I could be wrong though.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:07 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:

Kill me.

I think it's okay if something is being given up for the $5k decrease; like if the payment is earlier than it normally would have to be. Otherwise it's just a pre-existing legal duty. I could be wrong though.

I'm specifically talking about the first contracts essay in the MEE book. Still confused why it wouldn't be a satisfaction and accord.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

The thought of spending any more money on this stupid test makes me literally nauseous.

Even worse is the thought of paying Barbri more money.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:19 pm

Killingly wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:

Kill me.

I'm specifically talking about the first contracts essay in the MEE book. Still confused why it wouldn't be a satisfaction and accord.

https://getbarmax.com/accord-satisfacti ... ification/ - So there's this explanation, but I think this only strengthens your position, because Question 1 definitely has an "if...then..." type of agreement, which I think would be an accord. There was no satisfaction though of course because Retailer didn't perform.

I think the difference may be that in their essay, BarBri is saying that Retailer's reponse to Designer's original proposal was a rejection and counter-offer, which when accepted by Designer, created a totally new contract.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
Killingly wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:

Kill me.

https://getbarmax.com/accord-satisfacti ... ification/ - So there's this explanation, but I think this only strengthens your position, because Question 1 definitely has an "if...then..." type of agreement, which I think would be an accord. There was no satisfaction though of course because Retailer didn't perform.

I think the difference may be that in their essay, BarBri is saying that Retailer's reponse to Designer's original proposal was a rejection and counter-offer, which when accepted by Designer, created a totally new contract.

Thanks - that's exactly what I argued. Accord but no satisfaction. So the BarBri rubrics are just one way of getting points, not THE way?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”