BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

kyle010723

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Is it too ambitious to want to do 5 more essay tonight? Went to bed at 4 and been up since 7... judging by my posts today, I've completely lost my sanity.

Barbro

Postby Barbro » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:51 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Is it too ambitious to want to do 5 more essay tonight? Went to bed at 4 and been up since 7... judging by my posts today, I've completely lost my sanity.

with all due respect wtf is wrong with you. go to sleep.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Barbro wrote:with all due respect wtf is wrong with you. go to sleep.

I did, woke up in a cold sweat around 7; had some nightmares about using the wrong format on the MPT.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:55 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

I did, woke up in a cold sweat around 7; had some nightmares about using the wrong format on the MPT.

I totally forgot about the MPT. Better do a practice thing or two.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:I totally forgot about the MPT. Better do a practice thing or two.

MPT should be applesauce provided that they don't throw us a completely odd ball out of the blue.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Killingly wrote:Is anyone else really bad at practicing the essays?

I end up semi-outlining, then just reading their outline/model answer.

I got a 2 on a graded essay I wrote with the Leansheet outline open in front of me. That bodes well.

Don't worry. Their grading can't be trusted. One of my essays was graded twice, with a 10-point difference.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

I totally forgot about the MPT. Better do a practice thing or two.

Nightmares + living off of string cheese and twizzlers. Bar exam, what have u done to me

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:04 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
phillyboy101 wrote:So here's something I've been thinking about. Is a dismissal based on the statute of limitations a ruling on the merits? The Freer handout in the preclusion section says that a car ends in a valid final judgment on the merits unless it was based on jurisdiction, venue, or indispensable parties -- so based on that I would say it is on the merits. But then question 158 on the simulated MBE (a con law FFC question) says that a dismissal based on the statute of limitations running is not a dismissal on the merits. I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not totally sure what.

I think the definition of "on the merits" varies a bit depending on context.

It is not a dismissal on the merits. However, it is a dismissal with prejudice, so it can't be brought again.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm sure this isn't groundbreaking, but...

If anybody is like me and stressed about trying to memorize everything for the essays, and as a result remembering nothing, it may help to look through the barbri essay book. It's nice to be able to see all the essays year-by-year.

Flipping through mine it looks if I can memorize the statute of frauds, parol evidence, and consideration/consideration substitutes that could answer almost any of the contracts questions over the past 10 years. I'm sure some states are different but it makes me feel better and lets me focus...

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:04 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Is it too ambitious to want to do 5 more essay tonight? Went to bed at 4 and been up since 7... judging by my posts today, I've completely lost my sanity.

Good god this post gives me anxiety. I called it quits at like 6 PM today

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Good god this post gives me anxiety. I called it quits at like 6 PM today

Don't be, you're likely much more productive. And I'm still playing catch up to PSP.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:29 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Good god this post gives me anxiety. I called it quits at like 6 PM today

Don't be, you're likely much more productive. And I'm still playing catch up to PSP.

lol, catch up? Im abnout 40 overdue.... done with all lectures though, but have to cram wills in NY.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:32 pm

victortsoi wrote:lol, catch up? Im abnout 40 overdue.... done with all lectures though, but have to cram wills in NY.

At 17 overdue as of now... Must do more else I will have 5 more overdue tomorrow. This must be how it feels to be in an endless spiral...

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:31 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.

Yes, I remember these two questions, and thought the answers were ridiculous. Also, apparently if you're employed and told to read an employee manual, but you fail to do so, you can't be negligent for that unless your employer told you "it's really important you read it."

These are literally the two questions I was thinking about when I posted earlier. What bullshit

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:59 pm

Does anyone know if the civ pro questions are like Barbri's. I know Barbri's are easy, I'm sitting at a solid 75% including the simulated MBE. On Adaptibar I'm sitting at like 40%. They are hard af, and test esoteric shit that we actually were tested on 1L year. My 1L civ pro teacher was all multiple choice and 50% correct on his test was a good grade. Has anyone heard from previous takers as in last February?

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:Does anyone know if the civ pro questions are like Barbri's. I know Barbri's are easy, I'm sitting at a solid 75% including the simulated MBE. On Adaptibar I'm sitting at like 40%. They are hard af, and test esoteric shit that we actually were tested on 1L year. My 1L civ pro teacher was all multiple choice and 50% correct on his test was a good grade. Has anyone heard from previous takers as in last February?

The only thing I heard from February testtakers was that the MBE questions were quite different from what they had expected.

And just lol after going through this course; no wonder.

dotbun

Postby dotbun » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:41 am

Hi all! Checking in from CA.

Has everyone started seriously memorizing all their outlines yet? I know most of the major rules in each subject (PJ, Standing, searches & seizures, etc.), but some of the assigned essays so far have been testing the smaller rules. When is everyone planning on doing this or am I already behind? Barbri has been assigning about an hour of review of the rules prior to doing an essay, but I don't think that's really enough. Thoughts?

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:50 am

dotbun wrote:Hi all! Checking in from CA.

Has everyone started seriously memorizing all their outlines yet? I know most of the major rules in each subject (PJ, Standing, searches & seizures, etc.), but some of the assigned essays so far have been testing the smaller rules. When is everyone planning on doing this or am I already behind? Barbri has been assigning about an hour of review of the rules prior to doing an essay, but I don't think that's really enough. Thoughts?

I never really understood Barbri's line about not worrying about memorizing until "later." When is later? Probably yesterday. I can't possibly do a good job of memorizing rules in the very limited time Barbri assigned. So I personally ditched the Barbri schedule a few days ago. I am still doing the essays, MPQs, PTs and review, but I've created a schedule that works for me and gives me solid quality time to review and memorize my outlines (about 3 hours of review per topic before jumping into essays and complex MPQs).

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:10 am

Redamon1 wrote:

I never really understood Barbri's line about not worrying about memorizing until "later." When is later? Probably yesterday. I can't possibly do a good job of memorizing rules in the very limited time Barbri assigned. So I personally ditched the Barbri schedule a few days ago. I am still doing the essays, MPQs, PTs and review, but I've created a schedule that works for me and gives me solid quality time to review and memorize my outlines (about 3 hours of review per topic before jumping into essays and complex MPQs).

I would agree with Redamon, with the added note that it really depends on your state and your own strengths/weaknesses. States like TX that have 24 or whatever topics to learn probably can only learn a threshold amount in each subject before it becomes too much. UBE states - that threshold is probably higher.

I feeI like I'm "minimally competent" in all of the MBE areas (like, definitely not crushing it, but probably somewhere in the lower-middle of the pack on the essays, and slightly above average on the MBE m/c questions), but I haven't really learned/memorized much at all on the MEE subjects. That's my main focus for the next two weeks via flashcards. Going to keep it real with some MBE questions mixed in.

But everyone's different.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:35 am

If anyone needs a laugh (or a cry): http://bitterempire.com/ten-things-you- ... dying-bar/

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:55 am

Redamon1 wrote:

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have been trying to keep up with my PSP, but I'm not sure it can be done. "Reviewing" 2 subjects a day plus all of the other essays and multiple choice is a lot. If I followed this schedule, I don't think I would have memorized what I need to have memorized.

Is there some thought process behind this that I'm missing?

brick_wall

Postby brick_wall » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 am

I've seen other people take their simulated MBE score and work out what they need on the other sections to pass. I'm not sure if they have data I haven't seen that allows them to do this or if they are just math ninjas. Anyone wiling to work their magic for me?

I got 128/200 on the Simulated MBE. Barbri says that's 71 percentile. I am basically at square one on the state subjects and the MPT (once I learn the formats, I am confident I'll do well on the MPT--I just spent a year clerking, which is why I started studying so late). So, basically, I'm trying to figure out what level of mediocrity I need to achieve on the state essay section. I copied below the explanation for how Tennessee is scored.

Many thanks to the hive mind!

----
Tennessee Bar Exam GRADING: Applicants must achieve a score of 270 or higher in order to successfully complete the Tennessee bar examination. The Multistate Bar Examination (MBE) counts for 50% of the score; the Multistate Performance Test (MPT) plus the 9 Tennessee essays together constitute 50% of the score. The MPT is the equivalent of 3 essay questions or 12.5% of the score; the remaining essay questions are 37.5% of the score. The written portion is scaled to the MBE to determine if the applicant has achieved a passing score.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 am

So real talk: in a 40% MBE state, what raw % of questions right do you think you need to get to pass (assuming you get let's say 40th percentile on the essays and everything else)

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:02 am

Ludacrispat26 wrote:So real talk: in a 40% MBE state, what raw % of questions right do you think you need to get to pass (assuming you get let's say 40th percentile on the essays and everything else)

In IL (which is a 50% MBE state), a 40 percentile on essay is a scale score of 140. If you are at a 40% MBE state, and assuming you need a 266 to pass (I am using IL and adjusting it to a 40% MBE weight), all you need is a 122.5 on MBE, i.e. around a 10 percentile., i.e. probably a 110 raw.

140 * 1.2 + x * .8 = 266
x = 122.5

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 am

brick_wall wrote:I've seen other people take their simulated MBE score and work out what they need on the other sections to pass. I'm not sure if they have data I haven't seen that allows them to do this or if they are just math ninjas. Anyone wiling to work their magic for me?

I got 128/200 on the Simulated MBE. Barbri says that's 71 percentile. I am basically at square one on the state subjects and the MPT (once I learn the formats, I am confident I'll do well on the MPT--I just spent a year clerking, which is why I started studying so late). So, basically, I'm trying to figure out what level of mediocrity I need to achieve on the state essay section. I copied below the explanation for how Tennessee is scored.

Many thanks to the hive mind!

----
Tennessee Bar Exam GRADING: Applicants must achieve a score of 270 or higher in order to successfully complete the Tennessee bar examination. The Multistate Bar Examination (MBE) counts for 50% of the score; the Multistate Performance Test (MPT) plus the 9 Tennessee essays together constitute 50% of the score. The MPT is the equivalent of 3 essay questions or 12.5% of the score; the remaining essay questions are 37.5% of the score. The written portion is scaled to the MBE to determine if the applicant has achieved a passing score.

So TN is essentially the same as IL, beside we need a 266 and our MPT is only 7%. If you are scoring at 71 percentile on the real MBE, that translates to a scale of around 153. Therefore, all you need is a 117 on you TN essays and MPT combined... 117 is a 4 percentile on essay in IL.

I'm using 2014 IL data on scale to percentile https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/july201 ... ent-charts

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”