BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Poopface

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Poopface » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:36 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.

lol i thought the exact same thing on that security guard question

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:51 pm

I've read 5 explanatory answers today that read something like this: "Assuming [fact x] and [fact y]--which are not given in the fact pattern--the best answer is Choice C. Choice D is true, however, it lacks the assumptions we made, thus it is incorrect."

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:08 pm

My takeaway from this thread is that I'm going to skip the Torts MPQ sets 5 and 6.
I'm getting 75-80% on the mixed sets and I don't see the point of doing questions that are much harder than the exam and will just mess up my confidence.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:My takeaway from this thread is that I'm going to skip the Torts MPQ sets 5 and 6.
I'm getting 75-80% on the mixed sets and I don't see the point of doing questions that are much harder than the exam and will just mess up my confidence.

That's my strategy as well. Instead I plan to redo earlier sets, and particularly do and review questions I got wrong, since those are more likely to be tested anyway.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:My takeaway from this thread is that I'm going to skip the Torts MPQ sets 5 and 6.

Maybe, just maybe if you do MPQ 5 or 6 right before the exam, you will walk into the real thing like this is so easy it's unreal! Wishful thinking?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Poopface wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.

lol i thought the exact same thing on that security guard question

Srsly. And a person getting beaten senseless by a crazy person is like THE worst example of res ipsa loquitor ever. Type of injury that only could happen with negligence? No...

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 pm

So, I asked my professor what a failing essay looked like. She sent me one from a few years ago.

It was basically:

Question 1: Rule (wrong rule) then analysis (bare minimum applied wrong rule incorrectly)

Question 2: Rule (Q asked for elements of self-defense and they only stated when retreat is required) Analysis (applied facts to when deadly force is allowed).

And then for the second part of question 2: All they said- I'm not aware of this defense so it's not valid and court shouldn't instruct the jury on it.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:50 pm

charlesxavier wrote:So, I asked my professor what a failing essay looked like. She sent me one from a few years ago.

It was basically:

Question 1: Rule (wrong rule) then analysis (bare minimum applied wrong rule incorrectly)

Question 2: Rule (Q asked for elements of self-defense and they only stated when retreat is required) Analysis (applied facts to when deadly force is allowed).

And then for the second part of question 2: All they said- I'm not aware of this defense so it's not valid and court shouldn't instruct the jury on it.

Model answer for all MEE should be:

"Dear Bar Examiner,

The issue here is, in the words of the renown and most revered jurist--Nino Scalia--jiggery-pokery at best. Therefore, defendant's argument is a pure applesauce; the court should rule in my client's favor.

Respectfully submitted.
Bar Exam Taker"

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:00 pm

charlesxavier wrote:So, I asked my professor what a failing essay looked like. She sent me one from a few years ago.

It was basically:

And anything more than that is not failing?

Side question for anyone: Do you think if we apply the wrong rule (or at least not fully accurate), will we get any credit for using facts and applying them to that misstated rule? The BarBri checklists (at least in my MEET book) have boxes to check off facts that you use, but I'm not sure if that's only if you're applying them appropriately to the right rule...

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Anybody know the average for the mixed question set PDFs? I dont see it in the front of the MPQ book :shock:

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:06 pm

moreheesh wrote:Anybody know the average for the mixed question set PDFs? I dont see it in the front of the MPQ book :shock:

When you're in "Practice Questions" on the enrolled student center, click on "Mixed Question Set Goals."

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:08 pm

That may vary by state, but here in Texas, many of the answers released by the BLE are exactly that: incorrect statement of rule followed by (at least semi) cogent analysis.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:11 pm

BVest wrote:That may vary by state, but here in Texas, many of the answers released by the BLE are exactly that: incorrect statement of rule followed by (at least semi) cogent analysis.

Do you mean passing answers that were released?

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:14 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
dwyf wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
dwyf wrote:I did the simulated MBE last week and got the results over the weekend.

It says this should update at 12:01am central time on Monday, but I still have no update.

Unlike MPQ, the result (namely the percentile) for the simulated MBE is calculated daily, and the simulated MBE is not counted toward the weekly progress by subject, only MPQ. Maybe I am missing the question, or maybe your PSP is indeed broken.

This is helpful, thanks.

You are probably right - I wasn't doing MPQ's last week (other than through the app).

Doing questions through the app should have meant your percentiles updated. I don't believe NY was assigned any MPQs last week but I did some questions through the app, so my percentiles have updated.

I think questions done through the app only updates percentages if you click Sync online or whatever.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:16 pm

It was basically:

I hear what everyone is saying here about how it is really hard to fail the essays. Yet according to Barbri, I have been below passing (think 35-50 point range, with 52+ as passing) on every single essay, including the ones I did open book. So, just to confirm - is this another one of Barbri's scare tactics? Or do we think that even doing these essays open book I am somehow managing to fail to write something sensical that a bar examiner would say is passing? (Really hoping it's the former).

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:17 pm

Redamon1 wrote:

That's my strategy as well. Instead I plan to redo earlier sets, and particularly do and review questions I got wrong, since those are more likely to be tested anyway.

If the questions you got wrong are more likely to be tested can you please answer the hard questions right and then purposefully miss the easy questions. :D

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:19 pm

I feel like we could just solve all of this anxiety by making the bar exam open book, like many law school exams.

And hell, even in practice, you'll always have reference to the statute, case, or other authority that you'll need.

I'm going to guess that the judge/partner/client would feel very uncomfortable if the junior lawyer wrote something based solely on what they remember.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 pm

mr.hands wrote:
BVest wrote:That may vary by state, but here in Texas, many of the answers released by the BLE are exactly that: incorrect statement of rule followed by (at least semi) cogent analysis.

Do you mean passing answers that were released?

Yes. Here's what BLE says about them:

Overall, these selected essay and MPT answers help to demonstrate the general length and quality of responses that earned above average scores on the indicated administration of the essay portion of the bar examination. However, these are unrevised answers written by actual examinees under time constraints without access to law books. As such, these essays do not always correctly identify or respond to all issues raised by the question, and they may contain some extraneous or incorrect information. They do not, in all respects, accurately reflect Texas law or its application to the facts. These essays are not intended as “model answers” and should never be taken by anyone as legal advice.

http://www.ble.state.tx.us/MainPage/examinfo.htm (selected answers tab)

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:25 pm

69/100 on MBE Refresher

Don't see this on their Goals sheet. Am I missing something?

diowad

Postby diowad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Wow that helps alot and I'm not even in Texas. Thanks very much.

moreheesh

Postby moreheesh » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:31 pm

:mrgreen: Thanks

RaleighStClair wrote:
moreheesh wrote:Anybody know the average for the mixed question set PDFs? I dont see it in the front of the MPQ book :shock:

When you're in "Practice Questions" on the enrolled student center, click on "Mixed Question Set Goals."

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:38 pm

BVest wrote:
http://www.ble.state.tx.us/MainPage/examinfo.htm (selected answers tab)

I'm not in Texas, but these questions scare me. How many state-specific subjects do you guys have?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm

obvious typo on one of the essays

"[Testator] died December 25, 1995."

"[Testator's] will admitted to probate February 1, 1994."

Barbro

Postby Barbro » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:69/100 on MBE Refresher

It's in the front of the MPQ book. Goal is 57/100, 8 Civpro, 7 Conlaw, 9 Contracts, 9 Crim, 8 Evidence, 8 Property, 8 Torts.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Barbro wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:69/100 on MBE Refresher

It's in the front of the MPQ book. Goal is 57/100, 8 Civpro, 7 Conlaw, 9 Contracts, 9 Crim, 8 Evidence, 8 Property, 8 Torts.

Thanks!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”