BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:27 am

cdelgado wrote:But even in some cases, if I read the question closely, I would not have been able to answer it correctly since Barbri did not cover the area tested.

It is literally the fucking worst thing when you've taken time to memorize the lecture handout only to find you have wasted your time.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 am

3|ink wrote:
cdelgado wrote:But even in some cases, if I read the question closely, I would not have been able to answer it correctly since Barbri did not cover the area tested.

It is literally the fucking worst thing when you've taken time to memorize the lecture handout only to find you have wasted your time.


yea it's bad

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby victortsoi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:53 am

i think I'm going to just go with re-reading the cmr's instead of the lecture handouts.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5718
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 pm

jamescastle wrote:Sorry for the doublequestion then; didn't notice it yesterday since I'm so far behind on my PSP. Thanks.


Not at all. I'm glad you asked. When I previously tried to answer for myself I only looked at the notes/outlines, but did not look to the statute. Your re-asking got me to look deeper.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:01 pm

victortsoi wrote:i think I'm going to just go with re-reading the cmr's instead of the lecture handouts.


My plan has been to memorize off of a condensed version of the lecture handout but also read through the CMR to make sure there aren't any total surprises.

Ludacrispat26
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 pm

I bought real prior MBE questions from NCBE (http://store.ncbex.org/mbe/) and got 80% on a set of 100. I've been scoring consistently in the 60-80% range.

I'm sick of the MPQ's at this point. not only are they overly difficult, but they aren't even totally right all the time (as in, sometimes they're totally vague and unclear and the correct answer is a judgment call).

I think it's better to read the outlines and do real problems. MPQ's are just getting annoying.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:I bought real prior MBE questions from NCBE (http://store.ncbex.org/mbe/) and got 80% on a set of 100. I've been scoring consistently in the 60-80% range.

I'm sick of the MPQ's at this point. not only are they overly difficult, but they aren't even totally right all the time (as in, sometimes they're totally vague and unclear and the correct answer is a judgment call).

I think it's better to read the outlines and do real problems. MPQ's are just getting annoying.


From here on out I'm likely going to just do 4 sets of 50 from the 200 Question MBE in Emanuel. Ohio's only a 1/3 MBE state so I'm afraid to waste more time on the MBE. Especially with barbri's questions. Our bar counselor just emailed us and said "You could score in the top 25% on the MBE and still fail." :shock: Time to get crackin' on these essays.

Ludacrispat26
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:29 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Ludacrispat26 wrote:I bought real prior MBE questions from NCBE (http://store.ncbex.org/mbe/) and got 80% on a set of 100. I've been scoring consistently in the 60-80% range.

I'm sick of the MPQ's at this point. not only are they overly difficult, but they aren't even totally right all the time (as in, sometimes they're totally vague and unclear and the correct answer is a judgment call).

I think it's better to read the outlines and do real problems. MPQ's are just getting annoying.


From here on out I'm likely going to just do 4 sets of 50 from the 200 Question MBE in Emanuel. Ohio's only a 1/3 MBE state so I'm afraid to waste more time on the MBE. Especially with barbri's questions. Our bar counselor just emailed us and said "You could score in the top 25% on the MBE and still fail." :shock: Time to get crackin' on these essays.


Operative word is "could"

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Can any NY folks make me feel better about the essays? On almost every essay Barbri has assigned, there are issues involving rules I didn't even know existed because they weren't covered in the lectures. I scored in the 97th percentile on the Simulated MBE, but I'm still afraid of failing because of the written portion!

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:38 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Can any NY folks make me feel better about the essays? On almost every essay Barbri has assigned, there are issues involving rules I didn't even know existed because they weren't covered in the lectures. I scored in the 97th percentile on the Simulated MBE, but I'm still afraid of failing because of the written portion!


I probably would not be too worried if you are scoring in the 97th percentile on the MBE... unless you just turn in blank sheets, you will probably do fine in any state.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:39 pm

Hooray! Trimmed my wills outline from 19 to 11 pages

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:41 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Can any NY folks make me feel better about the essays? On almost every essay Barbri has assigned, there are issues involving rules I didn't even know existed because they weren't covered in the lectures. I scored in the 97th percentile on the Simulated MBE, but I'm still afraid of failing because of the written portion!


I probably would not be too worried if you are scoring in the 97th percentile on the MBE... unless you just turn in blank sheets, you will probably do fine in any state.


Thanks, although I did terribly on Torts MPQ Sets 5 and 6 (50% and 56% correct), so now I wonder if my Simulated MBE performance was a fluke.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:46 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Can any NY folks make me feel better about the essays? On almost every essay Barbri has assigned, there are issues involving rules I didn't even know existed because they weren't covered in the lectures. I scored in the 97th percentile on the Simulated MBE, but I'm still afraid of failing because of the written portion!


I probably would not be too worried if you are scoring in the 97th percentile on the MBE... unless you just turn in blank sheets, you will probably do fine in any state.


Thanks, although I did terribly on Torts MPQ Sets 5 and 6 (50% and 56% correct), so now I wonder if my Simulated MBE performance was a fluke.


Everyone did bad on MPQ 5 and 6. I think mix sets are more accurate in gauging on how you will perform. So long as you are doing fine on mix sets, you will likely do ok on the MBE. I don't know anything about NY Essay, but MPT and MBE should carry you through assuming you score high enough, and 92 percentile is certainly high enough...

Andrews989
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Andrews989 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Why are the MPQ sets 5 and 6 so difficult?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Andrews989 wrote:Why are the MPQ sets 5 and 6 so difficult?

To keep you motivated to study these next few weeks if you did well on your simulated exam.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Weird Question: Has anybody been told what a bad essay looks like?

Barbri really seems to push the formulaic CRAC approach. However, when I answer a question or read the provided answer I wonder what someone who failed wrote. In our essay workshop the only bad essay they showed wrote about issues that were not important or non-existent.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:09 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Weird Question: Has anybody been told what a bad essay looks like?

Barbri really seems to push the formulaic CRAC approach. However, when I answer a question or read the provided answer I wonder what someone who failed wrote. In our essay workshop the only bad essay they showed wrote about issues that were not important or non-existent.


I've got the same question. How bad is failing?

diowad
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:32 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby diowad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:12 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Weird Question: Has anybody been told what a bad essay looks like?

Barbri really seems to push the formulaic CRAC approach. However, when I answer a question or read the provided answer I wonder what someone who failed wrote. In our essay workshop the only bad essay they showed wrote about issues that were not important or non-existent.


I too would like to know this, but I suspect it's hard to find

ArmyOfficer
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby ArmyOfficer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:19 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Weird Question: Has anybody been told what a bad essay looks like?

Barbri really seems to push the formulaic CRAC approach. However, when I answer a question or read the provided answer I wonder what someone who failed wrote. In our essay workshop the only bad essay they showed wrote about issues that were not important or non-existent.


They seem to push CRAC too hard. We had a state essay prompt that asked what law and principles a decision would be made on. I answered it by explaining the law and principles, but didn't do analysis since that wasn't responsive to the question. Then they told me I didn't do CRAC.

phillyboy101
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby phillyboy101 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:20 pm

So here's something I've been thinking about. Is a dismissal based on the statute of limitations a ruling on the merits? The Freer handout in the preclusion section says that a car ends in a valid final judgment on the merits unless it was based on jurisdiction, venue, or indispensable parties -- so based on that I would say it is on the merits. But then question 158 on the simulated MBE (a con law FFC question) says that a dismissal based on the statute of limitations running is not a dismissal on the merits. I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not totally sure what.

Andrews989
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Andrews989 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:26 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.


I agree. But, what are you going to do instead? I don't want to not be doing any MBE questions the next two weeks...

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:33 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.


Yes, I remember these two questions, and thought the answers were ridiculous. Also, apparently if you're employed and told to read an employee manual, but you fail to do so, you can't be negligent for that unless your employer told you "it's really important you read it."

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:So here's something I've been thinking about. Is a dismissal based on the statute of limitations a ruling on the merits? The Freer handout in the preclusion section says that a car ends in a valid final judgment on the merits unless it was based on jurisdiction, venue, or indispensable parties -- so based on that I would say it is on the merits. But then question 158 on the simulated MBE (a con law FFC question) says that a dismissal based on the statute of limitations running is not a dismissal on the merits. I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not totally sure what.


I think the definition of "on the merits" varies a bit depending on context.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Andrews989 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:Honestly, I'm about ready to say fuck Barbri and their stupid goddamn MPQ questions. Some of their reasoning is honestly beyond the pale.

It's not foreseeable that an alcohol based product which states "do not use near high heat or open flame" could be flammable? A security guard at a hospital which treats dangerous and insane patients didn't know he had a duty to lock the fucking door? They've jumped the goddamn shark.


I agree. But, what are you going to do instead? I don't want to not be doing any MBE questions the next two weeks...


I don't know, but I do know that these questions aren't helping me do anything but second-guess myself. Maybe I'll finally pick up Emanuel's.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests