BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

RaleighStClair

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:12 pm

diowad wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
3|ink wrote:I'm noticing that the mixed sets try to throw you off by giving you the hardest questions right away.

Definitely noticed this on Set 1. My Set 2 misses were pretty evenly spaced out though.

Are you guys just far ahead of schedule? Or your PSP assigned mix set 2 already? For IL, we just did mix set 1 a few days ago and just started MPQ 5 on substantive topics. But on here, it seems that lots of people already finished MPQ 5 for most topics and some already went through mix set 4.

I am wondering this as well. I don't assigned MPQ mixed sets 2 and 3 until the Sunday before the Exam

I'm in WA. Right now we're at 76% assigned, and the average student completed is 53%.

It's kind of weird; we were assigned Set 2 a few days ago, but we were never assigned Set 1 (so I just did it anyway). We are assigned Sets 3 and 4 right before the exam, but none of the mixed sets after that are assigned. I'd like to do all of them at some point but I don't think it really matters when. We're also assigned the 100q Refresher this upcoming Wednesday, but that's it aside from individual subject MPQs. (Which basically leaves multiple 50 question Sets, the 200 question Full Day - which is different from the Midterm, the 100 question Half Day - all unassigned). Between those unassigned and the Emanuel's questions I think I'll have more than enough to do.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I've got a question on Removal JDX if anyone feels inclined...

The Critical Pass card says that D must remove within 30 days of service of the first removable document (usually service of process), but then it says in Diversity cases there's no removal more than one year after the case is filed in state court.

Does this mean that in state cases where a federal court could have had Diversity jdx, the 30 day limit doesn't apply? And it only applies in cases where federal question could have been brought? Just seems like a really narrow rule, because I can't imagine anyone filing a suit arising under federal law in state court. Anyway, just a little confused about the timing requirements if anyone can help with that. Thanks!!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:20 pm

diowad wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
3|ink wrote:I'm noticing that the mixed sets try to throw you off by giving you the hardest questions right away.

Definitely noticed this on Set 1. My Set 2 misses were pretty evenly spaced out though.

Are you guys just far ahead of schedule? Or your PSP assigned mix set 2 already? For IL, we just did mix set 1 a few days ago and just started MPQ 5 on substantive topics. But on here, it seems that lots of people already finished MPQ 5 for most topics and some already went through mix set 4.

I am wondering this as well. I don't assigned MPQ mixed sets 2 and 3 until the Sunday before the Exam

My PSP assigned mixed set 6 on Friday.

I think it varies by the state. I'm in a 40% MBE/60% essay state. So all I'm doing for the MBE right now are those mixed sets. I'm focusing mostly on the essay questions.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:23 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:I've got a question on Removal JDX if anyone feels inclined...

The Critical Pass card says that D must remove within 30 days of service of the first removable document (usually service of process), but then it says in Diversity cases there's no removal more than one year after the case is filed in state court.

Does this mean that in state cases where a federal court could have had Diversity jdx, the 30 day limit doesn't apply? And it only applies in cases where federal question could have been brought? Just seems like a really narrow rule, because I can't imagine anyone filing a suit arising under federal law in state court. Anyway, just a little confused about the timing requirements if anyone can help with that. Thanks!!

I thought that the 1 year limitation applied to diversity and FQJ cases.

The only exception specific to diversity is you can't remove if at least one D is a resident of the forum state.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:26 pm

3|ink wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:I've got a question on Removal JDX if anyone feels inclined...

I thought that the 1 year limitation applied to diversity and FQJ cases.

The only exception specific to diversity is you can't remove if at least one D is a resident of the forum state.

Never mind. I'm wrong. Both exceptions apply only to diversity cases. F me I'm glad you asked.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Yeah, it's dumb.

So if a suit is brought in state court, that could have been brought as a diversity case, could D remove - say, 3 months (more than 30 days, but less than a year) - after the case is brought in state court?

But, if the case is one that only would have been eligible for FQJ, 3 months would be too late?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:29 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Yeah, it's dumb.

So if a suit is brought in state court, that could have been brought as a diversity case, could D remove - say, 3 months (more than 30 days, but less than a year) - after the case is brought in state court?

But, if the case is one that only would have been eligible for FQJ, 3 months would be too late?

I think the 30 day rule does apply to FQJ cases. That is, you must seek removal within 30 days of the last event that qualifies the proceedings for removal. The 1 year limitation for diversity is an absolute cap. So even if a qualifying event does occur after 1 year in a diversity case, you can't remove. But if a qualifying event happens in a FQJ case 1 year after the initial complaint, you can still remove.

Edit: In diversity cases, the event that qualifies for removal is no more in-state Ds. I guess a qualifying event in a FQJ case would be an amended complaint or an asserted defense based on some federal question.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Just finished Contracts, MBE Set 5. Just so frustrated. Been doing okay on the MPQs (62-68% correct). Then, on these later MBE sets, my percentage drops to like, 35% correct.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:02 pm

3|ink wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Yeah, it's dumb.

I think the 30 day rule does apply to FQJ cases. That is, you must seek removal within 30 days of the last event that qualifies the proceedings for removal. The 1 year limitation for diversity is an absolute cap. So even if a qualifying event does occur after 1 year in a diversity case, you can't remove. But if a qualifying event happens in a FQJ case 1 year after the initial complaint, you can still remove.

Edit: In diversity cases, the event that qualifies for removal is no more in-state Ds. I guess a qualifying event in a FQJ case would be an amended complaint or an asserted defense based on some federal question.

The rule is that in any case filed in state court that could be heard in federal court (FQ or diversity), the D must remove within 30 days of the case becoming removable. As someone else said, the typical situation where a case would not be initially removable, but would become removable later, is when the case originally had multiple Ds, one of whom was an in-state D, and then the claim against that D is dismissed from the suit. Another example might be when the P originally sues on only state law claims, but then amends the pleading to add a FQ. Then, a new 30-day clock for removal starts. But, in diversity cases only, there's a hard-and-fast rule that removal can never be had one year after the case was filed.

One thing to note: Adding a defense based on federal law won't allow for removal, because FQs have to be "on the face of a well-pleaded complaint."

Blue Ivy

Postby Blue Ivy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Say you have an animal (not a dangerous animal or an animal with dangerous propensity) like a regular dog. And you weren't a negligent owner, does that mean you you could be saved from liability if the dog happened to get agitated and bite someone?

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Blue Ivy wrote:Say you have an animal (not a dangerous animal or an animal with dangerous propensity) like a regular dog. And you weren't a negligent owner, does that mean you you could be saved from liability if the dog happened to get agitated and bite someone?

If we're talking strict liability, yes.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:07 pm

Blue Ivy wrote:Say you have an animal (not a dangerous animal or an animal with dangerous propensity) like a regular dog. And you weren't a negligent owner, does that mean you you could be saved from liability if the dog happened to get agitated and bite someone?

Yes

bear patrol

Postby bear patrol » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:08 pm

Damn Mixed Set 4 got the best of me. 56%. Was just starting to feel pretty good about the MBE too.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Has anybody else had an essay question where it looks like the main topic was not covered anywhere in the barbri materials at all (lecture handout, CMR, Long Outline, State Distinctions)?

Ohio had an essay, that was in the Criminal Law set, that asked about how a court should decide a defendant's motion to enforce a plea agreement, what sentencing options the judge could choose from, and if the court denies the motion what arguments the defendant should make to withdraw her guilty plea and go to trial on the charge she pleaded down to. The only barbri info I've seen basically says you need to follow through on your agreement. Is there more?

Honestly, it almost seems like a policy/law school question. The answer was "use contract theory" and then a bunch of public policy reasons.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Ugh, exactly the same score on Mixed set 2 that I got on Mixed set 1. Tons of progress being made over here. /s
:cry:
Better try something different to review between sets this time.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ugh, exactly the same score on Mixed set 2 that I got on Mixed set 1. Tons of progress being made over here. /s
:cry:
Better try something different to review between sets this time.

My score went down :/

Went from 68% on the Mixed Set 1 to about 60% on Set 2.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:11 pm

I think someone posted this already, but since it seems we're all doing them now:

GOALS (on barbri website)

On recent summer Multistate Bar Exams, the overall average percent correct was about 67% (127 out of 190).
But you don’t need to score that high on the BARBRI question sets to be doing well, because many of them are
statistically harder than the actual exam. Use the goals below to track your progress—they are based on the average
performance of previous BARBRI students on these questions.
Remember that your scores on these question sets are raw scores; on the actual MBE, the bar examiners will
add points to your raw score to obtain a scaled score, which is what states use to compute overall passing
grades. The bottom line is that you can miss a lot of questions and still pass the exam.

[b]Mixed Subject Question Sets (50 questions each)
Set 1 – 31 correct (62%)
Set 2 – 33 correct (66%)
Set 3 – 33 correct (66%)
Set 4 – 34 correct (68%)
Set 5 – 34 correct (68%)
Set 6 – 34 correct (68%)
Set 7 – 34 correct (68%)

Civil Procedure Question Sets
Set A – 11 correct out of 18 (61%)
Set B – 10 correct out of 18 (56%)
Constitutional Law Question Sets
Set A – 12 correct out of 18 (67%)
Set B – 11 correct out of 18 (61%)
Drills – 11 correct out of 17 (65%)
Contracts Question Sets
Set B – 11 correct out of 18 (60%)
Drills – 9 correct out of 17 (53%)
Criminal Law Question Sets
Set B – 12 correct out of 18 (67%)
Drills – 12 correct out of 17 (70%)
Evidence Question Sets
Drills – 11correct out of 17 (65%)
Real Property Question Sets
Set A – 11 correct out of 18 (61%)
Set B – 10 correct out of 18 (56%)
Torts Question Sets

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:32 pm

BVest wrote:
xChiTowNx wrote:
DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:
If you're curious, DC's average completion rate is 29%. I'm at 51%. They should really count HW in some way because I do a lot a of AMPs and they take acres of time and can be super annoying because I find a lot of the answers predicate on an and/or distinction.

Just curious about completion rates too: It appears I'm ahead, but is the average calculated from everyone who is taking that state's barbri course, or the people in your area only?

So if the average completion rate for State A's barbri course is 35% and I'm at 50% but in State B studying, am i being compared to everyone taking the State A barbri course?

Just need something to feel positive about!

There's a thread about how far ahead or behind people are. That might have your answer. Also if you tell us what State B is, someone might be able to tell you what the average and assigned numbers are.

Thanks for letting me know -- I'll go check it out.

State B is Neb. and State A is for WI.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:35 pm

phillyboy101 wrote:
phillyboy101 wrote:Can anyone explain the specific differences between conspiracy and accomplice liability -- really in the context for an essay. It seems like one would necessarily involve the other in most instances because they share basically the same elements, but on some of the essay examples they mention conspiracy, but not accomplice liability, so I'm guessing there must be some palpable difference. Thanks!

Conspiracy is just that - a meeting of the minds to conspire to commit a crime. Your crime is the meeting of the minds (your K prof will hate this phrase, alas, c'est ca).

For an essay I'd mention this:

Elements

a) A meeting of the minds (your K prof will hate you) between more than 2 people. Obviously you can't conspire alone. There's no requirement for express agreement, no "HEY OK JACK JOE AND ANDY WE ARE ROBBING THIS BANK". Implied agreement is enough, and not all parties need to know each other. Maybe someone doesn't know the getaway driver, maybe like in the Dark Knight you don't know that the Joker is in on the part where he shoots everyone at the beginning and different people are shooting different people to get them out of the way, but it qualifies as a conspiracy nonetheless.

b) Intent: Parties need to intend to enter into the agreement and intend to commit the target crime or objective. No accidents here, you mean it.

c) There needs to be an overt act to further the crime but literally almost ANYTHING would do, for MPC purposes at least. This isn't a common law element. See what they test for but if it's an essay mention both. Like almost ANY SMALL THING, from the Joker stealing that bus to someone buying a gun to the guy getting to the rooftop is enough for the conspiracy.

Conspiracy ends when the crime is complete or fails. The crime does not need to actually happen in full or in common law, happen at all. You get a couple of guys Ocean's Eleven and in the end everyone chickens out but there's enough to fulfill corpus delcti to show conspiracy, the charge can stick. Under the MPC (and I think majority state rules) you need to have like at least scouted out the place or bought some drills or hired Don Cheadle's awful British accent for that conspiracy to stick. There are almost no defenses to conspiracy. Factual impossibility still renders the conspiracy alive - the bank had moved, suddenly the store is having a huge giveaway and everything is free and you can't steal things, you have still conspired. Withdrawal is not a defense, but if a co-conspirator goes on to commit another crime - again, let's use TDKR - the Joker steals a schoolbus to get away in that line blending in and leaving the scene, if you have withdrawan by then, you would be guilty of the conspiracy for the bank robbery but nothing related to the bus theft unless you were in on it the whole time.

Let's talk about accomplice liability:

Accomplice is someone who aids, encourages, or counsels the principle (principal? can never get these two right in the crim context). Basically being an accomplice, you need to have provided some assistance, with intent, to further the crime. Intent is very important. If you inadvertently helped someone (leased a car while working at Hertz, turns out they used it to rob a bank) you're not an accomplice. Also, just being there is not enough. Just because you happen to be at the crime but provided no intentional assistance, encouragement, or counsel, then you're not an accomplice. You're at a Wal-Mart, it's being robbed and the guy's running at the automatic doors and you're coming in and you trigger the automatic doors so he gets out as you come in, there's no prerequisite intent element there for you to be an accomplice.

The liability is that you're liable for both the original and any foreseeable crime committed by the principal in its furtherance. Your principal robs a bank and you are the getaway driver, you can be found of being guilty of both the robbery and anything that happens on the getaway (high speed chase., hitting someone, etc). In contrast (I realize the hypos get silly), if you two rob a bank and then after you're done he goes and decides to dump a bunch of oil in the ocean for some reason after you leave, you're not an accomplice to that pollution charge even if you acted in concert on an earlier set of offenses.

It's hard to say on the MBE or essay how far they want to take the accomplice liability thing. IRL I've worked a case where a person was charged with being an accomplice by allowing his uncle to borrow his car to drive his girlfriend home, but the uncle shot and killed the girlfriend and raped her, even though he only had knowledge of the transport section. He was found not guilty, btw, but I'm just making an example as to what sometimes crazy shit happens IRL as to accomplice liability (and how overzealous some prosecutors are).

Compared to conspiracy, there are way more defenses and exceptions for accomplice liability. You can withdraw if the withdrawal happens before the crime happens or becomes unstoppable. If you guys rented a storage unit for the money you were gonna store from robbing a bank, but nothing else have happened yet, you can say "fuck this I'm outta here and done" and that'd be an withdrawal. The crime is not unstoppable yet. As an accomplice though, you must negate or repudiate the initial encourage. "This was a mistake, I'm getting rid of this storage unit" would suffice. It would not be sufficient if the bank robbery is happening and you're waiting outside and had a change of heart and just took off, you've already allowed and encouraged the crime to happen and it's too late. I see that fact pattern a lot - last minute getaway driver gets a change of heart, well, tough, you went a bit too far and will be an accomplice to the bank robbery (although if some other unforseeable crime happens in the meantime like say if the guy coming out not seeing you around decides to go on a shooting spree, you would not be an accomplice to that. The crime must be foreseeable. Even though you ditching your partner may have caused that shooting spree, it doesn't necessarily render you as an accomplice (although I'm 100% that some overzealous ADA would charge you as one, for the purposes of the bar I'd say you're fine).

If you're a member of a protected class you won't be liable as an accomplice. If you're Traci Lords shooting porno at 15 with a fake ID, you're obviously encouraging the pornographers intentionally into shooting child porn, but you will not be considered an accomplice. Same for Statutory rape an stuff.

There are also statutes that do not provide for accomplice. Drug buyers are not accomplices to drug sellers, guy buying chop shop parts aren't accomplices to the chop shop action unless they specifically told the guy to steal the car and chop it, that sort of thing.

There's also some accessory issues, but that's different from accomplice liability. That's basically rendering criminal assistance after the fact, helping escape or apprehension, with no involvement with the original crime. Let me give you a real life example of how this works (and a good reason why you shouldn't go on CL to find a roommate). At law school I found someone to share my 2BR to cut costs, but sexually harassed my girlfriend one night and since this was before he signed the lease I was able to get his ass out and get a no contact order on him.

A month later he went to a party where some 17 year old kid ate a shard of meth (wtf right?) and of course, overdosed the fuck out and died. My old roomie here had nothing to do with the meth, he didn't have the meth, he wasn't using it, he was just around, but he helped put the body in an old safe they had, trucked it into the middle of the woods, and dug a hole and put the safe in there. He helped the principals (the guys giving the kid drugs) avoid apprehension, but he was not an accomplice to that crime, merely rendered assistance, since he did not aid, encourage, or counsel the principals nor did he help to commit it. He was responsible only for the body disposal to cover up the crime (and later snitching, incidentally). This may come up as an obstruction of justice charge, we called it rendering criminal assistance, it's something you should take note because it does involve something similar to being an accomplice, but he was no, legally speaking, an accomplice to the murder conviction here.

I hope that helps!

TL;DR:
Conspiracy:
1) Meeting of minds (two or more people)
2) Intent to enter into the agreement
3) Intent to commit THAT PARTICULAR crime not just (let's just drive around and see if we wanna pick up a hooker or if convenient, rob a McDicks)
4) MPC - the smallest amount of over act.
5) Can't withdrawal from the conspired crime.
6) Crime doesn't need to be successful, but the conspiracy ends when it terminates either with success or lack thereof

Accomplice:

1)Someone who aids, encouragees, or counsels principals to commit a crime intentionally. Must provide assistance.
2) Liable for the whole crime and anything foreseeable.
3) Can withdraw before crime is committed or unstoppable, but must negate or repudiate the aid or encouragement
4) Not applicable to protected classes or parties not provided for in statutes
5) Distinguish from people rendering aid after the fact. Accomplices must have been there at the beginning or prior to the crime being committed or attempted.

Wow that was awesome - extremely helpful and entertaining. To follow up, isn't it the case that a conspirator is also liable for all foreseeable crimes that happen in the course of the particular conspiracy crime? Also, if a question is asking to list crimes for which someone can be charged, and someone was an accomplice in a murder for example, is that person charged with being an accomplice to murder, or just for murder. TYIA

I mean if they go through with it instead of JUST conspiring then sure, If you conspire to commit murder and you forseeably commit a burglary with it then you are charged with both, but if it's something unforeseeable - you conspire and commit murder and out of nowhere a god damn embezzlement happens then you can't be liable if it's unforeseeable. It really depends on the facts.

Being charged as an accomplice to a murder is essentially being charged for murder. However being charged with conspiracy to a murder is not the same as being charged with murder. Some of the nitpicky questions are poorly written and dumb but being an accomplice, if you have not withdrawn and repudiated the offense, allows you to be charged with the principal for the same crime provided all the other elements are met.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:39 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:NY's PSP assigned through mixed set 4 this past week.

Oh wow, that is intense, IL does not even assign mix set 3 to 7.

Shit I've only been assigned #1

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:57 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

None assigned in PA.

errmsg

Postby errmsg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Has anyone paid for and listened to the BarBri Mini Review that's available under More Resources?

Contemplating taking the jump just to get a better handle on some of these MBE subjects like Property and Crim... if someone could comment on the quality of the videos, it would most helpful. Thank you!

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:05 pm

If D offers to settle a case for more than the Plaintiff ultimately recovers at trial, does P have to pay D for costs incurred after the offer was made?

I know they do if the offeree obtains a judgment in a settlement that's less than a prior unaccepted offer, but I don't know if this applies to judgments made during trial.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

None assigned in PA.

Yeah only one assigned in AL. Just means more for us to do on our own! :|

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:14 pm

JFC how does anyone understand commercial paper? It's not even a guaranteed subject in Texas and at most it would be one of the two UCC questions.

I'm seriously considering saying fuck it and move on with my studies.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”