BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

rinkrat19

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:48 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Can I do half of the simulated MBE and get a score, or do I have to do the whole thing?

You have to do the whole thing. It warns you to submit both AM and PM at the same time. My guess is if you only submit half, it will treat the not answered one as just wrong.

Ugh, bummer. Thanks.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ugh, bummer. Thanks.

You can always do only half and self-grade. But once you submit your answer online, you cannot change them.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:55 pm

kykiske wrote:Just finished MBE Set 6 of Con. Law and Set 4 for Torts.

WTF.

I finally thought I was getting the hang of the MBE questions. On the mixed sets, I score 33-35/50. Yet on the later MBE sets, I'm just getting destroyed.

And the explanations aren't really that useful. I'm seeing more that basically say, "Yeah, the answer you picked is correct. But it's not as strong as this other answer. You see this other answer talks about some narrow exception explained in footnote 23 on page 8 of your MBE outline."

I noticed a lot of those. Some of the explanations are a paragraph and a half of them explaining assumptions they made and how that means B is 1% better than C. I think it was discussed in the Simulated MBE review video that Barbri does this to make the questions tougher but on the real MBE there won't be answers that are so debatable.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:11 pm

For the past 30 days I have been consistently getting 55% correct on mbe questions, no matter if I do 18 or 100... no matter how much I review the explanations or go over my outlines. Is there such a thing as a ceiling on just how well you can possibly do on them? I wonder bc this is uncanny.

I feel like a failure already :(

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:37 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

You can always do only half and self-grade.

Yeah, there's nothing to stop you from doing this, but you won't get the fancy "personalized analysis." If you want that, I'd take half and self grade, then later take the other half and enter all the questions online that day to get the analysis.

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Can some generous soul please explain the "same office" rule (Secured Transactions) to me in uncomplicated language?

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:48 pm

kmp127 wrote:For the past 30 days I have been consistently getting 55% correct on mbe questions, no matter if I do 18 or 100... no matter how much I review the explanations or go over my outlines. Is there such a thing as a ceiling on just how well you can possibly do on them? I wonder bc this is uncanny.

I feel like a failure already :(

Spend an hour every day simply going over your wrong answers and reviewing the rules you've gotten wrong. See if it makes a difference in the space of three days.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:59 pm

old_soul wrote:Can some generous soul please explain the "same office" rule (Secured Transactions) to me in uncomplicated language?

The nature of proceeds of collateral can be different than the prior collateral. For example, if a bottling company has a large piece of machinery that it financed worth $30,000, and it decides to trade that for something else, the creditor may or may not need to re-perfect.

Option A: Trade the machinery (equipment) for $30k worth of bottles (inventory) in the same state. Both Equipment and Inventory are perfected by filing in the state Secretary of State's office or other similar state office with a form UCC-1, therefore there is no need to re-perfect, even though the UCC-1 on file might say "All Equipment" or "Zebo Bottling Machine Serial Number 1234567." The creditor's security interest in the bottles (which are the proceeds of the equipment) is automatically perfected going forward due to that previously filed UCC-1, even if it does not mention the bottles specifically or inventory generally.

Option B: Trade the machinery (equipment) for a $30k company car for the CEO to use for business. Cars are perfected through the state title system, not through the Secretary of State's office. Therefore the creditor must re-perfect within the allotted time (20 days). The creditor remains perfected for those 20 days but now must follow the procedures for getting onto the car title in order to remain perfected beyond day 20. The creditor can still perfect after day 20, but he would then be junior to any other creditors who took and timely perfected a security interest in the car in the meantime.

[Sorry for all the edits... there were a couple extra details, plus some annoying grammar errors]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:00 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

You can always do only half and self-grade. But once you submit your answer online, you cannot change them.

You can change them. I think you click Details on the right of the MBE. Then there's a button for Override Answers.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:05 pm

jamescastle wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

You can change them. I think you click Details on the right of the MBE. Then there's a button for Override Answers.

There you go, did not know that.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:07 pm

old_soul wrote:Can some generous soul please explain the "same office" rule (Secured Transactions) to me in uncomplicated language?

. Deleted because other guy's was better. :wink:

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:29 pm

(checks Paula Franzese's secured transactions handout)
(sees nothing about same office rule)

Fuck barbri.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:42 pm

3|ink wrote:(checks Paula Franzese's secured transactions handout)
(sees nothing about same office rule)

Fuck barbri.

Yeah, not even touched upon in the lecture!

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:54 pm

I accidentally submitted the NY Contracts Essay twice, and informed Barbri. Nonetheless, it was graded by different people. It was passed by one and failed by the other, with a 10-point disparity. :roll:

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:08 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:I accidentally submitted the NY Contracts Essay twice, and informed Barbri. Nonetheless, it was graded by different people. It was passed by one and failed by the other, with a 10-point disparity. :roll:

Well - At least now we have actual proof now. Unbelievable.

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:26 pm

BVest wrote:

The nature of proceeds of collateral can be different than the prior collateral. For example, if a bottling company has a large piece of machinery that it financed worth $30,000, and it decides to trade that for something else, the creditor may or may not need to re-perfect.

Option A: Trade the machinery (equipment) for $30k worth of bottles (inventory) in the same state. Both Equipment and Inventory are perfected by filing in the state Secretary of State's office or other similar state office with a form UCC-1, therefore there is no need to re-perfect, even though the UCC-1 on file might say "All Equipment" or "Zebo Bottling Machine Serial Number 1234567." The creditor's security interest in the bottles (which are the proceeds of the equipment) is automatically perfected going forward due to that previously filed UCC-1, even if it does not mention the bottles specifically or inventory generally.

Option B: Trade the machinery (equipment) for a $30k company car for the CEO to use for business. Cars are perfected through the state title system, not through the Secretary of State's office. Therefore the creditor must re-perfect within the allotted time (20 days). The creditor remains perfected for those 20 days but now must follow the procedures for getting onto the car title in order to remain perfected beyond day 20. The creditor can still perfect after day 20, but he would then be junior to any other creditors who took and timely perfected a security interest in the car in the meantime.

[Sorry for all the edits... there were a couple extra details, plus some annoying grammar errors]

OMG, thank you! This is so much clearer in my head.

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:27 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:

. Deleted because other guy's was better. :wink:

Thanks for the effort! :) :mrgreen:

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:I accidentally submitted the NY Contracts Essay twice, and informed Barbri. Nonetheless, it was graded by different people. It was passed by one and failed by the other, with a 10-point disparity. :roll:

Well - At least now we have actual proof now. Unbelievable.

Proof of staggering incompetency?

Looks like I'll have to pay someone to help me with essay-writing.

scaliaantics

Postby scaliaantics » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Do I need to know more secured transactions than is in that lecture outline? Because that outline has barely anything and makes secured transactions seem really easy.

Neff

Postby Neff » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:49 pm

scaliaantics wrote:Do I need to know more secured transactions than is in that lecture outline? Because that outline has barely anything and makes secured transactions seem really easy.

I ordered this hornbook to help me because I've heard good things about it. It's the best review of the subject under 400 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Secured ... 611631971/

[+] Spoiler
Er, just kidding. I think you'll be fine.
Last edited by Neff on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue232

Postby blue232 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:49 pm

What is the deal with the "Released MBE Questions" that Barbri provides? Barbri includes them with the caveat that they are very old, but I am running low on StudySmart questions and debating whether to buy more questions from another source. Has anyone worked through these?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 pm

blue232 wrote:What is the deal with the "Released MBE Questions" that Barbri provides? Barbri includes them with the caveat that they are very old, but I am running low on StudySmart questions and debating whether to buy more questions from another source. Has anyone worked through these?

I've only done a few of them, so I'm probably not the best source, but I do not think they're a very good representation of the real thing. Very different from the ones in Emanuel's, which I think are from the mid to late 2000s. The front page of the BarBri property released questions says Copyright 1983, 1987, 1990. Doesn't mean they're necessarily from those years, but probably.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:08 pm

What's the "MBE Refresher" in the back of the book ?

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:08 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
blue232 wrote:What is the deal with the "Released MBE Questions" that Barbri provides? Barbri includes them with the caveat that they are very old, but I am running low on StudySmart questions and debating whether to buy more questions from another source. Has anyone worked through these?

I've only done a few of them, so I'm probably not the best source, but I do not think they're a very good representation of the real thing. Very different from the ones in Emanuel's, which I think are from the mid to late 2000s. The front page of the BarBri property released questions says Copyright 1983, 1987, 1990. Doesn't mean they're necessarily from those years, but probably.

Yeah, I looked at those old questions in a few subjects and they all looked like they were from Mars. I really hope the format of the Qs has changed since then, otherwise I'm definitely failing.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:15 pm

UBE Jurisdiction here.

So, I'm consistently getting 75-80% of the barbri MBE questions right. No problems on timing either. But I'm worried about the essays - I do fine when open book, my answers pretty much follow the model answers in both form and substance. But I when I do closed book, I forgot a lot of shit. Usually 1-3 elements of a test, like, adverse possession, or when a burden runs with the land, etc. I figure I only need to be below-average on the essays to pass. Do you guys think most people will forget some elements, or am I screwed?

Also, anyone else find the Civ Pro MPQ Set 5 ridiculously easy? One of the questions was just "Does the court have SMJ over an obvious federal question?"

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”